PDA

View Full Version : Mea Culpa - R2 AOTC is Power FX R2

JediTricks
04-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Whoopsy daisy on my part, I told someone that I was pretty sure AOTC R2-D2 was a new sculpt and not POTF2 Power FX R2-D2; but upon getting one last Tuesday, I compared the 2 figures and sure enough, the main body of AOTC Sentry R2-D2 is indeed Power FX R2. The "smooth peg" hips are also from Power FX R2, though clearly Hasbro changed their minds about how this looks and went with the modern, accurate "grooved" design.

Anyway, it's a weird change, and I apologize if I caused any confusion.

Also, the light-up LED is way too bright and does look orange to me. (not to mention it shouldn't light up there at all anyway)

eliwankenobi
04-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Yup. Noticed that one pretty quick. I'll pass.
I think the Comm-Tech R2 is by far the best sculpt - and the closest runner up IMHO is Hallmark's R2 ornament from last year. The detail on that thing is awesome.

pthfnder89
04-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Whoopsy daisy on my part, I told someone that I was pretty sure AOTC R2-D2 was a new sculpt and not POTF2 Power FX R2-D2; but upon getting one last Tuesday, I compared the 2 figures and sure enough, the main body of AOTC Sentry R2-D2 is indeed Power FX R2. The "smooth peg" hips are also from Power FX R2, though clearly Hasbro changed their minds about how this looks and went with the modern, accurate "grooved" design.

Anyway, it's a weird change, and I apologize if I caused any confusion.

Also, the light-up LED is way too bright and does look orange to me. (not to mention it shouldn't light up there at all anyway)

Eh... I don't really care. R2 is actually one of my favorite AOTC figures so far. I like the lights and accessories. Plus I never bought the PowerFX R2:)

LTBasker
04-25-2002, 05:24 PM
The figure isn't really anything to write home about. It should be a fun little figure for kids who like to drive their parents nuts with constantly hitting the button but I would've rather had them use the R2 w/ holo Leia mold and added some sort of piece from a set kinda like the Bespin Vader & Luke.

Taichi
04-25-2002, 05:39 PM
On the plus side, the FX Artoo was 'dirty' in it's paint job....this one is spot-on......and looks really good......

mark2d2
04-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Okay, you're all way of base and way too whiney! C'mon! Lets give some credit where credit's due!

Sure, this figure is basically the Power FX version --- but it's been significantly updated. For starters, the paint job is a HUGE improvement. The deco is much more detailed and carefully applied this time around. Especially on the dome. More colors were used -- the "silver" is even more "silver." Not such a dull flat grey. Lastly, this is a "clean" version and Dang! The little guy sure is sharp!

The ankles are all articulated -- none of them were last time. This allows R2 to be much more naturally posed, he's just a little too upright in the FX version.

As far as the light goes --- I actually like that it's so dang bright --- it adds cool drama to any scenario. AND this time it actually blinks. Not only that, but it blinks very much in synch with the new sounds. Wizard Cool (as Ani would say.) Again, this Blinking! is a pretty big change as the other version just, well . . . dimly glowed. And, yeah, okay, it's in the wrong place --- but who cares? It's still a great little toy. All the wrong eyes glow on the Astro droids. Why fix it now?

I admit, I was not all that into this fig when I first saw pictures of it. But in person the little guy quickly won me over. And hey, admit it, the kids are going to love this one. We're talking toys here . . .