PDA

View Full Version : The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight 13!!!

Tycho
04-26-2002, 06:14 AM
The Tatooine Desert Skiff takes on the Trade Federation AAT Tank in the 4th to the last round of the preliminary matches to determine the ultimate Hasbro Star Wars vehicle!

The Desert Skiff sits atop display "landing struts" and features an extending plank that breaks away to pitch figures off to their doom! The side rails also "break away" to simulate battle wear, as does a brand new paint deco on a re-release of one of the most elusive Star Wars vehicles, molded originally in the vintage years. The pilot's controls at the rear of this cargo carrier remotely operate the craft's features, and a thumb toggle switch guides the steering rudder fins. Packaged in a window box display simulating the Rebels' fight against Jabba the Hutt over the Great Pit of Carkoon, the Skiff was released as a still very hard to find Target exclusive, and included a Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight figure packaged with it (and a lot of twist-ties). The skiff can easily hold 7 (seven) action figures!

From the Battle of Naboo comes the Trade Federation's AAT Tank, and in fact, Star Wars collectors' first tank ever! This vehicle is deceptive in its slim closed packaging: once opened and fully assembled, the AAT is a good sized vehicle! "Floating" on hidden wheels that give the tank the look that its operating on working repulsarlifts, the vehicle is raised into optimal firing range for its no-less-than 4 actually firing, mobile-missle launcher tubes. The vehicle is also well defended from both surface and arial assault by a pair of side-mounted multi-blaster cannons, while the main turret holds a very powerful single-barrel laser cannon. Another feature lets you position OOM-9 (not included) in the command tower and a remote lever makes him pop out of the main hatch. If the AAT takes any battle damage, the main pilot's station can be blasted open and the pilot Battle Droid is ejected, while an interior panel cleverly switches from displaying a "clean and new" Droid gunner, to a blasted and battle-damaged one! The AAT can also serve as a troop transport because it may take on up to 4 more Battle Droids on action figure stands that flank its sides to quickly move the Trade Federation Forces into position to take over the market!

Which vehicle is your favorite?

The winner will continue on in the SSG Battle of the Machines Quarterfinals to determine the best Star Wars toy from Hasbro's entire modern collection!

Vote for your choice now and then let's talk about these great vehicles!

jedi master sal
04-26-2002, 07:38 AM
Hands down this is the better toy. Remember this is star WARS and that is what the AAT is for, WAR! This highly armed vehicle would rip you a new one if you confronted it. The skiff although good in design just doesn't measure up. It (Skiff) is relatively tight to fit in as many characters as were on it in he movie. Now the AAT on the other hand has nice curved lines and looks like it could destroy many a diorama. Big and formidable, the AAT has the makings of one kick butt machine.

corporal AMF
04-26-2002, 11:14 AM
The AAT is a main battle tank...I wonder why the Empire didn't have tanks, only AT-AT's..so when it first came out i was pleased......the Skiff is just for transport personel or equipment,,,,,,,you have to see that the scene in ROTJ made it important........
SO long live the bad guys weapons.. (SKIFF is not a weapon also)

CaptainSolo1138
04-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Man, this was a toughie! I wish there was a "draw" option instead of having to go one way or the other:) This match-up was a tie for me, since I like both vehicles so much. But since I like OT stuff more, I went with the skiff. Did the AAT come with a battle droid? For some reason, I can't remember!!

On a completely seperate note (and probably a victim of wrong place, wrong time), did anyone else who has the AOTC soundtrack notice the electric guitar on Track 3?? How sweet is that?!?!?

Mandalorian Candidat
04-26-2002, 12:22 PM
I have to go with the skiff on this one since I never bought the AAT. The AAT is a good looking ship, but for some reason the idea of those wimpy battle droids driving one around makes me laugh. Plus it's not very armor plated. One shot from the Flash Speeder blew it up in the Final Battle scene. But after taking a pounding from the deck cannon, the Skiff was hardy enough to still work.

Vote goes for the Skiff.

Eternal Padawan
04-26-2002, 01:13 PM
Definitely gotta side with the AAT on this one. The Skiff is rinky dink with not enough room for all the characters that should be on it. The thin leg struts make easily topple-able and the plank only slides out an inch instead of all the way. The rails fall over too easily and its tough to get Pote Snitkins to drive it like he was in the movie (by tough, I mean physically impossible).

The AAT looks cool, has four cool firing missiles, has that little lever that makes the driver "pop out" and check things out" You can hide a few battle droids in the "blast apart" section". All around cool. i wish i had bought more when I had the chance.

bigbarada
04-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Tough choice, I picked the AAT even though I never owned one. It was just one of my favorite designs when early EP1 pics started leaking out. The Skiff is pretty nice but flimsy as a toy. I was never too thrilled with the design as a kid so getting the toy was never a big priority. I still want the AAT though, I just have to bring myself to pay $60 for one online.

Battle Droid
04-26-2002, 07:03 PM
I don't have either (since the Skiff was a Exclusive, and just couldn't find the Tank, I'd like them both though) but I think the Tank just looks cooler, and does more than the skiff does.

JediTricks
04-26-2002, 09:13 PM
I went with the Skiff because the AAT, while a nifty toy and fairly accurate, seems a little lackluster. It doesn't have a pack-in figure and the "blown up battle droid" gimmick doesn't work for me - in fact, that's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing, none of the main body gimmicks work right. The blast-off pilot fails to launch said pilot, the blast-off panel is too loose for regular play, the rotating secondary pilot doesn't wanna work for me, and the pop-up turret droid seat is definitely hokum.

Tycho
04-27-2002, 12:30 AM
Wow! With 100 votes in (at this time) and a 50-50 split between the AAT and the Skiff, I am either amazed at how contested this fight is, or I am suspicious of foul-play. The latter serves little purpose as it prevents us from exploring which craft the fans really like. As a fan, wouldn't even a saboteur be curious?

In the other case, all I can say is that if it continues to be this gritty of fight, than which ever craft eventually becomes the loser, will undoubtedly be given a shot at a challenge match to see how it would do against the craft that this match's winner will face in the Quarterfinals.

I have a strong suspicion that neither the Skiff nor the AAT would survive against their next opponent, but you never know...

Meanwhile, as it's far from being too early to add my own vote in this contest, I'll chime in and support the AAT Tank.

It is an attack craft and this is Star WARS, plus I love firing missles that can knock my Gungan and Naboo action figures down! I also think the battle-damage feature was very creative, though I agree the cockpit just doesn't stay on too well.

Just the same, this is one craft that makes the Episode One toy line at least a partial success. We've never had a tank!

When I look at the vehicles that were released for the other movie's line-ups, either in vintage days or now, it escapes me why the Gungan Sub and the Sith Infiltrator were not added to the Episode One line's N1 Fighter and Royal Starship selection to round out the best choices (along with the Tank). The Pod Racers were cool and I wish they'd make more of them, but the poor material quality used on the droid fighters weakened them from even approaching some collectors' considering them as actual vehicle toys.

The Tank was a step in the right direction for the E1 line, it was just too underproduced and released way too late.

dr_evazan22
04-27-2002, 12:36 AM
This is a really tough choice!

I just got a skiff that I opened and it looks great. I haven't yet dressed it up w/ a bunch of fig's yet, but I am looking forward to doing that. I think it has a great paint detail, the action features are cool, Luke has the blaster mark on his right hand. Overall a really cool vehicle!

But my vote went for the tank. This was one of my fav designs of E1. I think it's paint and action features are on par w/ the skiff. But this being the first tank from SW, I'm going w/ it.

Obehave Kenobi
04-27-2002, 03:14 AM
I don't feel like I should have voted, but I did anyway. I have never EVER seen the toy version of the AAT, but I voted for it anyway. I salivate at the thought of it's cool features. That doesn't happen when I think of the skiff, so thats my deciding factor. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to clean drool off the keyboard.:D :D :D

The True Maul
04-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Tough Choice but I have too go with the AAT Tank!

Tycho
04-28-2002, 02:28 PM
OK - this is getting the be way too close to call!

This is the most savage fight we've seen yet in the Battle of the Machines.

Unless the point-spread widens, I will make the call based on the arguments made in the forums.

If you have not posted your preference between the ATT and the Skiff, please join the discussion!

Your vehicle will win if it has the most arguments in its favor, or at least fans willing to stand by it.

If you have not posted - join the Skiff's Alliance or the Tank's Cadres in this forum now. Unless the scoreboard changes significantly before Thursday, I can't declare a winner based on the numbers alone!

And wow! Thanks for an already interesting thread!

darkhawk411
04-28-2002, 06:24 PM
I've got to go with the ATT. I always wanted the skiff, but the ATT just made a more impresive vehicle. Besides, any tank is easy to destroy when you hit it from behind.

Beast
05-01-2002, 12:44 PM
Wow, this was one of the toughest yet for me. On the one hand, I like the skiff, and loaded with figures, recreating the Sarlaac pit scene, it looks really great. But I gotta go with the ATT, since I just love the look of it.

An actual tank in the Star Wars universe was somthing that was a long time coming, in my opinion. And I think it looks really cool. I like the designs of most of the trade federation ships, and the tank is the best of the bunch. Plus the toys missle firing features are well hidden. It's just a fun toy, period. :)

The skiff suffers a bit due to it's size. I wish they would have redesigned it, making a bit larger then the vintage one. It's still a great ship, and the play features on it are fun. But it's just not as cool in my eyes as the ATT. But the ATT only just bearly beats the skiff out.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
05-07-2002, 12:12 AM
I just got back from Celebration 2.

And I find the skiff beats the AAT by one vote?

I'm not buying that.

I suspect tampering with the poll to be more direct. I've just never seen a poll this close before!

So note that I said before I would give this decision over to whichever vehicle had the most posts in its defense.

I will count one post per forum member. If I were to do that now, the AAT would win this match.

I call upon everyone who has NOT posted for their favorite vehicle between the two contestants in this thread, to do so immediately!

In all honestly, the suspicious motive here could be someone adamantly hating The Phantom Menace so much that they wouldn't let the poll run its natural course, just so a Classic vehicle could win.

If you have any opinions or suggestions on this matter, please post them too.

The score is 11-3 in favor of the AAT Tank at the time I make this match referee call. I will make a news post and ask for new people to write in and vote shortly.

If you have already voted, your next post won't count. A list of those who have already voted will also be added shortly.

I am going to do my best to give either vehicle an equal chance to win this match. But it is still too close to call.

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 01:02 AM
You do realize that as long as you don't log in, you can vote everytime you visit the site? Just a bug in the poll that I wasn't sure if you were aware of.

Beast
05-07-2002, 01:13 AM
Welcome back from Celebration 2, Tycho. Gonna post your thoughts about how insane it was? Or atleast how big Ephant Mon looks. Oh, and who you voting for in Fan Choice #4? Oh, I have millions of questions. Just tell us everything. As to the poll, I'm glad at this point the AAT is winning, love that tank. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-07-2002, 02:29 AM
Tycho, with all due respect this is your poll yet you suspect tampering? If you are going to turn it over to actual posts to decide, why not make that a requirement to begin with? :crazed:

Somehow I missed voting in this round,
so put me down for a Skiff ! :D

Tycho
05-07-2002, 03:20 AM
BigBarada (and everyone else):

That might be the way that multiple voting works, however the point is that the actual poll count should be enough to actually determine a winner - and the posts should match. In other words, a majority of the posts (which in this case support the AAT) should also be reflective of the majority of the votes - which should also be the winner.

But several things led me to believe there was tampering with this post:

1) Each time one vehicle or the other, especially the AAT, gained ground, it was quickly evened out by votes for the Skiff. Almost like unlimited E-bay proxy bidding.

2) Because a Classic vehicle went against a Phantom Menace vehicle, some individuals may think it's some kind of silly loyalty thing to make sure an E1 vehicle doesn't win. Simple prejudice against the movie, influencing how the toy vote goes. Stupid...:rolleyes:

3) Because I voted for the AAT, I might seem prejudiced and unobjective to the TPM hater out there, but what are they?

4) That's why I'm going to advertise this being settled by one vote per individual posting, and I'm going to call it when the winner of this preliminary round has their next match in the quarterfinals. Cheating is not going to pay.

5) The poll statistics do mean something, but in a case like this, where I can establish multiple motives for tampering that sound feasible, the numbers will be discarded so long as there is ample opportunity to give each craft a fair chance at winning another way. The skiff may still win, but all its proponents must just try harder and write in their choice, if not in addition, "why."

It's truly not that important to me for the AAT to take it. I doubt either vehicle can stare down its challenger in the next match. I didn't even arrange that fight to negate this battle - it's just that that vehicle matches the size and weight ratio that's appropriate to make it this match's Quarterfinal challenger. Too bad for either the AAT or the Skiff, IMO. But I can't predict these things to a totally conclusive extent anyway.

6) Anyone thinking its funny or some matter of loyalty to the Classic films to interfere in this match is badly misguided.

These matches are fun, but also a way to determine what the fans think is the ultimate best Hasbro Star Wars vehicle.

All anyone does by trying to rig a poll is put your own stupid interests and wasted time ahead of whatever information that can be acquired to get a grip on the actual reality out there. I mean don't they want to know? Then why bother following these matches in the first place? Your favorite vehicles are getting a fair chance.

And because the skiff beats the AAT in some poll doesn't mean that ROTJ is a better film than TPM. That's not what this poll is about - and how did you like those Ewoks, anyway?

By counting the numbers of individuals posting in favor of one vehicle or another, and choosing the winner by that method, it will defeat and discourage the actions of any possible purpetraitor who might otherwise achieve some stupid goal of theirs by disrupting the numbers for this round.

I will NOT declare the Skiff the winner of this fight at this time!

As soon as I have the chance, I will invite others to participate who have not posted yet, and THEY will decide the winner of this round.

I appologize to those who CAN behave in these forums and achieve this by correcting the poll in such a way. Many of the regulars have already listed their votes. And I will respect their almost 4-1 favoring of the Federation Tank over Jabba's craft.

The latter's supporters will have to speak up for in this round, because right now the numbers on the stat graph just won't cut it. Not at all!

Good luck to both factions. May the fight continue!

2-1B
05-07-2002, 03:29 AM
Tycho, have you compared the past rounds' vote totals against the specific posts in favor of each contestent? I'm not trying to push it, I am genuinely curious. All of those 5 points you listed are valid, I support your final ruling whatever it may be. :)

I support the skiff. I was so glad to get the vehicle after that silly Complete Galaxy Luke and the Skiff Guards 3 pack. I do love the skiff guards set, but it only made me want the skiff even more. Despite it's size constraints, I've been able to have fun with it and set up some decent displays.

Tycho
05-07-2002, 03:43 AM
As I post this, the poll numbers are closed, the thread is not.

In the numbers, the Skiff is ahead by 1 (one) vote: 67-66.

As it stands, the following people have voted for the Skiff and while they can discuss it, any further posting by them in favor of either craft will not be counted more than as just ONE vote only.

In favor of the skiff:

Captain Solo 1138
Mandalorian Candidate
JediTricks
Caesar

In favor of the tank:

Jedi Master Sal
Corporal AMF
Eternal Padawan
BigBarada
Tycho
BattleDroid
Dr.Evazan22
Obehave Kenobi
The True Maul
Darkhawk411
JarJarBinks

The score is 11 to 4 in favor of the AAT tank.

Anyone listed above has had their vote counted, and though they may post again in this discussion, they will NOT have their vote counted again.

I've established multiple motives for tampering with the poll.

I've established a way to defeat that and establish a winner.

Anyone new posting, that hasn't posted in this thread before, will now be about establishing the winner until such time as this round's contestant gets sent into the Quarterfinals.

You (the readers) have the final decision. But my call as the referee on this match and on this "foul" is also final.

I have made my decision. New people: make yours!

Rogue II
05-07-2002, 11:33 AM
I voted for the Skiff, but didn't post anything. I was lucky enough to get a Skiff. My wife loves Target and happened to see it and got it for me. (That's why I married her).

Anyway, I never got the Tank so I can't really compare the 2 side by side. While I wasn't thrilled with getting another Luke with the skiff, Hasbro made up for it by releasing the Skiff Guards and Pote Stiknin.

NiktosRule
05-07-2002, 02:09 PM
I could've sworn I had made a post on this thread but apparently I did not. My vote was for the Skiff. I remember typing a reply but I must not have posted it. I pick the Skiff because I actually was able to acquire it and the AAT is just real plain looking to me and doesn't look anywhere near as cool as it did in the movie.

JediTricks
05-08-2002, 02:17 AM
Hey Tycho, you ever see "The Caine Mutiny"? ;)

Seriously though, I strongly suggest you consider my suggestion about declaring a tie and letting them go up against other foes in the next level - quarterfinals. Just think of it as 2 wildcards. The way you have this now, it's complicated and confusing and really, there's no way to PROVE anything - clearly people are voting even if they're not posting so I don't think calling "shenanigans" is going to make this any more fun for either side.

Tycho
05-08-2002, 03:24 AM
Jedi Tricks: Your suggestion may be a practical one.

But guys who haven't posted yet, keep voicing your votes with your posts for right now.

When I hit the Quarterfinals after two more preliminary matches, I might be able to resolve this, or close to it (though afterward).

Here's the situation though:

32 vehicles go into 16 Preliminary matches.

There are 8 Quarterfinals,

4 Semi Finals

2 Finals

1 Championship.

Now I don't personally think either the skiff or the AAT could make it past the Quarterfinals. But you never know. Let's see who gets the most posts and then send in that vehicle, keeping it in the discussion thread whether its challenger from this match could beat the other Quarterfinal contestant itself.

Or, taking Jedi Trick's suggestion into account, I can pit each vehicle separately against the new Quarterfinal challenger and actually run a match for both. That might be too complicated though - especially for when you all learn who the Quarterfinal challenger will be.

Another practical idea I have for running these matches is: the closer a match, the harder the challenger I will find to face the Preliminary Winner.

Why? Because it won't matter if neither the skiff or the AAT can beat their next opponent.

We'll see if I've found a practical way to work this all out.

stillakid
05-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Don't know how I missed this battle the first time 'round.

In any case, despite my disliking TPM more than ROTJ ;), I'm voting for the AAT.

It's a sturdier ship by far than the Skiff. The AAT is also far easier to hold and play with than the rickety and awkward Skiff.

Add the advanced firepower and there really is no contest. The Skiff may get points for pure nostalgia's sake, plus the fact that hardly anyone bought one in the Eighties, but in a toy vs. toy match based on a true comparison, the AAT wins hands down.

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2002, 12:19 AM
That's why these "rounds" aren't really decisive. Sure it's a close race between the Skiff and the AAT, but the TIE Fighter (already a "loser") would beat both their pants off. This should really be a double or triple elimination tournament to take these things into account. It's going to be mighty silly in the later rounds when the Speederbike comes up against the Falcon...

Tycho
05-14-2002, 01:29 AM
Eternal Padawan: You'll see how I'm going to handle that once the Quarterfinals start. We still have one last Preliminary coming this Thursday (5-16)

But thank you for being concerned. I think you can help me keep that organized.

Meanwhile, keep posting in favor of the Skiff or AAT tank, people.

We have:

In favor of the skiff:

Captain Solo 1138
Mandalorian Candidate
JediTricks
Caesar
Rogue 2
Niktosrule

In favor of the tank:

Jedi Master Sal
Corporal AMF
Eternal Padawan
BigBarada
Tycho
BattleDroid
Dr.Evazan22
Obehave Kenobi
The True Maul
Darkhawk411
JarJarBinks
Stillakid

The score is 12 to 6, still in favor of the AAT tank.

On June 20th, the vehicle with the most posted message votes wins - and that Star Wars craft will face a challenger that got well over 70% of the vote in its own Preliminary match!

So if you aren't listed above here, keep on posting!

plo kloon
05-14-2002, 04:01 AM
I own the Att,but I have to go with the skiff.Especially when it comes with a variant of luke with laser blast damage to his hand.I don't own this vehicle yet.I still looking for one.Even though this is not a fighter vehicle the skiff held all the cool characters from return of the jedi ( boba fett,luke skywalker,chewie,han,lando, and the skiff gaurds).You can't say that for the ATT!!!

The True Maul
05-14-2002, 05:51 AM
The Att Att trade Federation tank rules!!!

Croaker
05-14-2002, 06:58 AM
Definately the Skiff!!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 10:20 AM
At this time, I vote we stick the Imperial Dignitary and General Rieekan figures on the AAT and send them down the horrible maw of the Sarlaac while the Concept Stormie looks on laughing as he rides the skiff off into the sunset. :)

LusiferSam
05-14-2002, 12:17 PM
Both are rocking vehicles, I voted for the skiff. The skiff has a lot of great movie based features is a small space, so I was impressed by the vintage. I think the ATT also has lots of great features, but there are a couple of features that I could never get to work quite right. So for me that out weighs the flimsy landing gear and over all delicate nature of the skiff. Also the skiff comes with a figure, which is a plus.