PDA

View Full Version : Sidious is Palpatine--I found proof!

El Chuxter
09-06-2001, 09:36 AM
Okay, this was a given, but I saw proof last night in a local bookstore. While thumbing through one of the RPG sourcebooks (I think it was The Dark Side Handbook, or something like that), I happened upon the following quote (which is from memory and, therefore, probably way off):

"Years before he had the Emperor's Hands [eg Mara Jade, roughly the time period of the Classic Trilogy], Palpatine used Darth Maul as his instrument."

Wow! As if "I will make it legal" wasn't enough evidence. I'm kind of surprised LucasFilm allowed this--they've been keeping a tight lid on the supposed mystery of Darth Sidious up until now.

Obi-Don
09-06-2001, 09:55 AM
Maybe Lucasflim figured that everyone already knew that he was.

master jedi
09-06-2001, 09:57 AM
I think The Phantom Menace had more than enough proof.

Palpatine/Sidious says these two lines: "I will make it legal." and says this to Anakin "We'll be watching your career with great interest."

At Qui-Gons funeral Mace Windu says "But which was destroied? The Master or the Apprentice?" and then the camera pans over to Palpatine.

Also it appears that Palpatine has no force ability in TPM but when he's emperror in RotJ he has force powers. How else would he have force powers if he wasn't sidious.

To me this is more than enough proof.

evenflow
09-06-2001, 10:34 AM
I agree that it was pretty easy to figure out. The Anakin line is a killer for anyone. Thats like a the missing piece of a puzzle.

El Chuxter
09-06-2001, 02:41 PM
Yeah, we all knew it. The Anakin line isn't really much of a giveaway, actually, since we knew that Palpatine trained/turned Ani. This line only confirms what we already knew about that. Given only the evidence in TPM, it's feasible (although wrong) that Sidious trained Palpatine (using him as a pawn to "make it legal"), who trained Anakin. The statement about Maul working for Palpy, I think, is the first direct proof from Georgie that they're the same--Maul only lived long enough to see one Sith Master, and if that guy is alternately referred to in different sources as Sidious and Palpatine, it proves they're the same.

Again, we already knew this, but I think it's nice to have confirmation. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2001, 03:45 PM
I knew it when I checked the credits of TPM where it said, and I quote: "Senator/Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine and Darth Sidious - Ian McDermid." It said that EXACTLY, including the misspelled name of the actor. Or maybe Clive What's-His-Name will become the emperor. :) ;) :D :( :D :D I'll try to dig up my thread in the Old Forums where I found out the "proof" of what the Phantom Menace really is!

Oh, no I did NOT edit this post! ;)

GNT
09-07-2001, 03:48 AM
Until its proven IN THE MOVIE that they are THE SAME PERSON,your find is condsidered EU!

EU not WANTED around these parts!

El Chuxter
09-07-2001, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I knew it when I checked the credits of TPM where it said, and I quote: "Senator/Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine and Darth Sidious - Ian McDermid."

I don't recall seeing Sidious in the credits, but I didn't look for him like that. I'll have to check that out again.

BTW, GNT, I realize it's EU, but keep in mind that all EU has to be approved by LucasFilm. Therefore it couldn't say Palpatine was Maul's master unless it was a fact straight from whatever version of the story Lucas was on at the time of publication. ;)

Jedi Learner
09-07-2001, 09:43 PM
Anyone who owns the "Episode I Insider's Guide" CD-ROM:

Look under the entry for Darth Sidious and click on the "behind-the scenes" photos. There is a head shot of Sidious against a bluescreen with a caption that reads something like, "The Darth Sidious costume, worn by actor Ian McDiarmid."

If nothing else, at least this proves that the same actor played both Sidious and Palpatine.

Furthermore, since this CD-ROM was released about the same time as the movie in '99, it seems that Lucasfilm wasn't all that concerned about people finding out the secret.

(BTW, Chuxter, Sidious isn't listed in the credits. Bel-Cam's just having a little fun with you.) :)

GNT
09-08-2001, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
BTW, GNT, I realize it's EU, but keep in mind that all EU has to be approved by LucasFilm. Therefore it couldn't say Palpatine was Maul's master unless it was a fact straight from whatever version of the story Lucas was on at the time of publication. ;)

Your stealing what I normally say in these situations :rolleyes: :D

Rollo Tomassi
09-08-2001, 10:24 AM
I remember looking for Sidious' name in the credits and they had something silly like "??????" or "Himself" that might have changed though...

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2001, 11:13 AM
Jedi Learner is right, Chuxter. I's just a bein' silly! :p But, alas, I could not find the Old Forums thread. It must be in the Really Old Forums then!

Starfig873
09-08-2001, 02:57 PM
Another of Sidious's lines kinda gives it away:

"I have the senate bogged down in procedures"

At least thats enough proof for me... ;)

GNT
09-09-2001, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I remember looking for Sidious' name in the credits and they had something silly like "??????" or "Himself" that might have changed though...

That was "Jabba The Hutt" who was played by "Himself"

bigbarada
09-15-2001, 11:17 PM
From the first moment I saw Sidious I knew he was Palpatine. Why? It's the mouth!

GNT
09-16-2001, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
From the first moment I saw Sidious I knew he was Palpatine. Why? It's the mouth!

We already know that Ian plays them both,its just that it needs to be confirmed.

Jar jar Binks is really Achk Med-Beq
C-3po is really Lieutenant Faytonni

See they are played by the same actor but are different people :) (And I believe that Palpatine is Sidious :) its just that we need it to be confirmed )

master jedi
09-17-2001, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by GNT
(And I believe that Palpatine is Sidious :) its just that we need it to be confirmed )

There is already enough confirmation in the 4 star wars movies that are out now.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2001, 07:04 PM
I always call these things the "Rocky" Effect. We know Rocky Balboa is going to win, because we see the movie posters with him in some victory pose. But how he wins is not known. So, how Palpatine turns into a Sith Master is unknown.

But, the crappy clones excuse is still out there. Is Palpatine really good, but Sidious clones him and creates a new Sith Apprentice to replace Maul? Does Sidious already have clones of himself, as Senator Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, etc.? We won't know for another 8 months or so.

bigbarada
09-17-2001, 09:19 PM
Given the insight that Ian McDiarmond gives into Palpatines character in the SW: Insider #53 interview, I seriously doubt that a clone is involved.

master jedi
09-17-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I always call these things the "Rocky" Effect. We know Rocky Balboa is going to win, because we see the movie posters with him in some victory pose. But how he wins is not known. So, how Palpatine turns into a Sith Master is unknown.

In TPM Palpatine is already a Sith Master and doesn't turn into one later. What I'd like to know is how he became a Sith. Either by teaching himself from old Sith records or some sort of reincarnated Sith or something like that.

bigbarada
09-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
In TPM Palpatine is already a Sith Master and doesn't turn into one later. What I'd like to know is how he became a Sith. Either by teaching himself from old Sith records or some sort of reincarnated Sith or something like that.

Darth Bane (ducks several folding chairs thrown his way) ok...ok, mail-order Sith Lord courses?

Rollo Tomassi
09-18-2001, 12:02 AM

These questions, asked before I have...

Who was Sidious' Master? Were they living on Naboo all that time? EU suggests people enter and exit politics on Naboo at a young age and Palpatine is the odd duck (being 50ish and still involved in politics.), but he would have had to be involved from a young age, so it's unlikely he moved in from off-planet and got elected Senator. Is Sidious' plan to take over the entire galaxy his idea or have the Sith been planning it for generations, passing power they've attained from master to apprentice? I imagine the alliance between the Trade Federation and the Sith was cultivated by an earlier Sith Lord (perhaps the TF was even created by one secretly.) Do Sith Masters hand over the reins voluntarily or are they offed by their apprentices in a power battle? Vader seemed to have designs on the Throne from his dialogue with Luke in ESB. The Sith intrigue me....

GNT
09-18-2001, 02:14 AM

He learnt from the Sith council records, I think he tought himself the poewer of the Sith!

master jedi
09-18-2001, 02:18 PM
I just thought of something that might be the answer to this question.
Since the next SW movie is dealing with clones then maybe it'll be revealed that Palpatine/Sidious is an advanced clone of a Sith. He could have been a test clone years before AotC.

It's just a thought.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2001, 05:57 PM
"Either by teaching himself from old Sith records..."
33 1/3 or 45 rpm? :p
Just like Death to Disco Night in Comisky Park in the late '70s or '80s, I wonder if Sith records were smashed so their inner secrets could not be deciphered.:D

P.S. By the way, a record is kinda like a compact disc, but it's black, thin, with grooves in it, and you'd have to flip it over to hear the other side. :rolleyes:

master jedi
09-18-2001, 09:43 PM
I htink we all know what records are and no duh you have to turn them OVER to listen to the OTHER SIDE.

bigbarada
09-18-2001, 09:47 PM
We old folks can never be too sure about you kids nowadays. Especially with the public education system as shameful as it is now.

GNT
09-19-2001, 01:47 AM
I htink we all know what records are and no duh you have to turn them OVER to listen to the OTHER SIDE.

If you play they backwords you can hear an OLD man on the toilet :D

master jedi
09-19-2001, 02:08 PM
We old folks can never be too sure about you kids nowadays. Especially with the public education system as shameful as it is now.

Yeah public education does suck. That's why I homeschool.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2001, 06:15 PM
Master Jedi, homeschooling denies you the public school experience. Think about it; you'll lose out on...

hazing
bullies
peer pressure
sports rallies
awkward but expensive school dances
cheerleaders
gum under the desks
clogged bathrooms
unintelligible speaker announcements
class elections
lockers jamming
being jammed in a locker
guidance counselors

See? You gotta go to "regular" (;) ) school! Be psychologically damaged like the rest of us! Or is that "we"? Uh, I dunno; I done have'd bad gramer learners in skul. :p

bigbarada
09-19-2001, 08:45 PM
Homeschooling, huh? We'll at least you spell about 100 times better than all the other home schoolers I've seen.

I agree with BCJ, if we all had to go through it, then so do you! Looks like we'll have to start harrassing you more in these forums. You can never have too much emotional baggage!:D ;)

master jedi
09-24-2001, 02:53 PM
I went to public school from Kindergarten through the 8th grade and homeschooled since I was a freshman. One of the reasons I started to homeschool is that the public school where I live the teachers don't know anything. The year after I left there started to be gun threats and a lot of drug usage in the school where I live.

El Chuxter
09-24-2001, 05:56 PM
Not to bash on public schools (okay, to bash on public schools!), but last night my girlfriend--who teaches high school seniors--started laughing while grading papers.

Apparently she'd happened upon a little-known fact: "Martin Luther-King [sic] was the first African-american [sic] president."

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2001, 06:56 PM
Chuxter, you could start a thread to rival that (cough) other (ahem) thread (wink, wink) that (nudge, nudge) some posters here created, if it was devoted to HS incorrect test answers! Hmm... :)

My funniest answer so far (this year) has been: Define 'the bandwagon effect.' Answer - politicians. That was all they put. (Yeah, it's not really funny)

Starfig873
09-25-2001, 03:34 PM
I miss Kindergarten. Man was that fun...I had a Pac-Man floor, and blocks, and I got to color, and go home early! Weeeee!

Now I'm a senior in High School...I get essays, and stuck up people who sit around me, and I have to pay for lunch. Now if only High School could incorporate the Pac-Man floor I'd be happy. :p

Starfig873
09-25-2001, 03:36 PM
And we're not all that stupid...okay a good 96% of high schoolers ARE that stupid...what can I say? I witness it everyday :D

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 05:12 PM
Hey, I'm a product of the public school system myself. However, most everthing I learned about history and science I taught myself. Literature was also undertaught. In fact the first time I even heard of "The Telltale Heart", by Edgar Allen Poe, was on that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa makes a school project about it. I spent the last few years trying to catch myself up on many of the classics.

master jedi
09-25-2001, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Not to bash on public schools (okay, to bash on public schools!), but last night my girlfriend--who teaches high school seniors--started laughing while grading papers.

Apparently she'd happened upon a little-known fact: "Martin Luther-King [sic] was the first African-american [sic] president."

I sure hope you're not serious. If you are, what kind of morons does she teach?

JediTricks
09-26-2001, 06:35 AM
Here in Los Angeles, I found that school up till Jr High was educational, but once I got to High School, it was a waste of my time. I was in all the advanced classes (except for Math, since I refused to homework the year before and got by on my test scores, except that year's math teacher who refused to give me a C or above even though I never got less than 95% on tests) but there were simply too many students per teacher which lead to far too little teaching ability to go around which lead to too much non-classroom work (like, you already have me captured from 7am till 4pm not counting transit times, but you want the rest of my time AS WELL?!?!?!?) and so I simply opted to graduate 2 years early thanks to a state version of the GED, told them to save their resources for the other kids.

You know what's really sad? I actually did learn in High School... in the non-advanced math class! How sad was that? The only class where the teacher actually wanted to teach IN the classroom... Lame lame lame.

master jedi
09-26-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
like, you already have me captured from 7am till 4pm not counting transit times

I feel sorry for you 'cause I went from 8:30AM to 3:15PM when I went to public school.

JediTricks
09-27-2001, 10:15 AM
Ugh, it was even worse for me MJ, I had to get up before 6am to take a bus WAAAAAY out of my way just to connect to a 2nd bus which didn't even start for another 30 mins. The worst part was, I lived about 3 miles closer to my school than that stupid bus trip's furthest point, so I'd ride out away from my school like 3 miles just to connect with the bus that took me towards my school. That was the friggin' worst, get up at 5:45am, do school till 4pm, then take another hour+ trip back home and they expected me to get 3+ hours of homework done as well?!?

master jedi
09-27-2001, 10:39 AM
Did you ever consider homeschool?

JediTricks
09-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Nope, got a job instead. The plan was to go straight on to college, but paying for it became impossible at that time.

Jargo
09-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Hmmm, much as I'm the man about town, I don't have a perfect international vocabulary, could someone please explain hazing to me? I am intrigued as I have seen several references to it recently with no explanation as to what it entails, if indeed it entails anything at all. :) Oh, and I didn't go to school much. that's why I was sent to a reform centre for seriously deranged kids and psycopathic morons. They didn't have guns but a fork in the hands of a loony is a formiddable weaponindeed. As is a full pot of scalding hot tea and a tray of currant scones. but that's another story.... ;)
the hazing question was serious by the way. :)

bigbarada
09-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Hazing is similar to an initiation ritual, where the new guy is made fun of, humiliated, caused great pain and generally tortured in order to be accepted by the group doing the torturing. These people willingly submit to this to prevent from being an outcast.
The idea behind it, I guess, is that if this person is willing to endure this treatment then he/she is "cool" enough to be accepted into the group. Pure idiocy is what it really is.

GNT
09-29-2001, 12:58 AM
Hazing is similar to an initiation ritual, where the new guy is made fun of, humiliated, caused great pain and generally tortured in order to be accepted by the group doing the torturing. These people willingly submit to this to prevent from being an outcast.
The idea behind it, I guess, is that if this person is willing to endure this treatment then he/she is "cool" enough to be accepted into the group. Pure idiocy is what it really is.

Now where have I heard something like that before? :D

JediTricks
09-29-2001, 12:20 PM
Hey Jargo, I thought the UK invented hazing in the higher education establishments with upper-classmen doing unspeakable acts to lower-classmen, who eventually went on to become upper-classmen themselves and visited the same tortures upon their lower-classmen. I'd hate to be a freshman in THAT school!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2001, 07:19 PM
I hope this doesn't reduce anyone's opinion of me (as if anyone here at SSG has an opinion of me), but in junior high school, I was hazed by those who got hazed. If there was any way to be below the bottom feeders, I did it somehow!

P.S. I became more confident over time, but to this day, you still can't insult me better than I can do it myself! :D Ah, adolescence...

2-1B
07-09-2006, 03:37 AM
We should haze Chux for posting such silly EU theories...come on Chux, GNT was so right about you.

Darth Instigator
07-09-2006, 09:13 AM
damn, this is only almost 5 years old, lol I cant imagine the boredom you faced finding this thread.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2006, 09:36 AM
"Old? ... Boredom? Our home, this is. When 5 years posting you reach, look as good, you will too, hmm?" :D

BTW, did we ever figure out if Palpatine and Sidious were the same? :confused:

El Chuxter
07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Until its proven IN THE MOVIE that they are THE SAME PERSON,your find is condsidered EU!

EU not WANTED around these parts!

Man, that should be the quote of the day, even if it's old as dirt. :D

darthvyn
07-09-2006, 10:38 AM
caesar should get the custom title "resident grave-digger"

JimJamBonds
07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
BTW, did we ever figure out if Palpatine and Sidious were the same? :confused:

Yes and yes.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Yes and yes.

I don't believe you. Prove it. :rolleyes:

Banthaholic
07-09-2006, 11:58 PM
There should have been a Spoiler Warning in the title. Now I know too much...

2-1B
07-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Not to worry Banthaholic - all these SSG loons are getting their "info" from SuperShadow and posting it here.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the accuracy of these spoilers. :grin:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Not to worry Banthaholic - all these SSG loons are getting their "info" from SuperShadow and posting it here.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the accuracy of these spoilers. :grin:Are you talking about the Easter egg on the ROTS DVD where if you click on the floating sweet potato in the upper right-hand corner of the Widescreen version at the 47:14 mark and Utau the Watcher (wearing a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine-era uniform) tells you evereything you want to know about the Sith (assuming you can speak pig-Cantonese, of course)? Yeah, I realize that virtually everybody knows about that one, but "virtually" means "not every single one."

2-1B
07-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Yes, that's more or less what I was talking about. lol lol lol

JimJamBonds
07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't believe you. Prove it. :rolleyes:

He says as much.

2-1B
07-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I still don't believe it - Palpatine was just "fronting" to Anakin about being Sidious. ;)

lol lol lol

Rogue II
07-10-2006, 12:48 PM
He says as much.

That's just your interperation. It isn't true unless it is mentioned in the OT.:D

JimJamBonds
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
That's just your interperation. It isn't true unless it is mentioned in the OT.:D

I thought it was only true if it was in one of the tv movies/EU. :rolleyes: lol

JON9000
07-27-2006, 06:46 PM
I cannot believe this was ever an issue in anybody's mind. I mean, doesn't anyone have the Emperor flashback figure?

2-1B
07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
The only issue I have is with Chux posting spoilers in thread titles. :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
The only issue I have is with Chux posting spoilers in thread titles. :mad:I have issue #3, in near-mint condition.

But Chuxter didn't say which film the proof was in, so does that really make it a spoiler? 'Cause I spoiler heard some spoiler stuff about this spoiler "Vadar" guy who spoiler shows up near the end spoiler that'll make you go spoiler "whoa." :yes:

2-1B
07-30-2006, 02:33 AM
I've not seen ANY of these films yet, so they're ALL spoiler-able for me. :cry:

They've not yet been released in my country...

seanmcfripp
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I've not seen ANY of these films yet...

Don't worry, you're not missing much.

They've not yet been released in my country...

Aerosmith won't come to your country either from what I hear. You must live in a real craphole. Although any country smart enough not to import the Prequels must not be too bad. :p :p :p

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
They've not yet been released in my country...Caesar, I'm guessing by your name that your country is Italy, or Gaul. And if it is Gaul, I don't think Lucasfilm has had you on their list of release dates. :( Guam, yes. Gaul, no.

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
The Gaul of some people! :mad:

2-1B
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM
talk about gorgonzola. :D

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I hear Gall has a real nice spaceport. Rumor is Boba Fett frequents it. I hope you own a jet-pack!