PDA

View Full Version : Welcome aboard!

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 09:54 AM
These are the new forums. They're more stable than the last forums SSG was using, and have even more features! With luck, everything will go smoothly. Here are some things I thought I'd point out:

You'll need to reregister once which requires a confirmation email (it's a very quick process), but if someone signs up using your old forum name, let us know and we'll fix the issue.
Instead of a "reset" button, there's a "preview post" button which will let you see how your completed post will look before you're ready to make it public!
Check out the Private Message feature! If you ask for this in your preferences, you can have a notice give you a javascript pop-up telling you when you get a new PM. This works only when you move from page to page, so if you sit on one page for 20 minutes without moving forward or back, you won't get that pop-up till you move along.
In the automatic VB Code panel, the "Enhanced Mode" doesn't seem to work with Netscape 4 and previous (I dunno about after), so if it's not working for you, that's not a glitch, either use direct code or use Normal mode.
Attach a file up to 20,000 bytes! (19k)! Remember that if you download a file, it's NOT checked for viruses by SSG.
When you complete a post, you get taken right to that post in the thread, not just at the top! No more scrolling down to see if your words are there.
Colors, sizes, even a few new fonts, you'll find many more new features in here like the personal avatar list, which is under the User Control Panel - Edit Options section and has over 100 avatars to choose from.

There's even more great stuff here to play with, and we may add more stuff in the future, so enjoy!

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 09:32 PM
Because it would take a lot of trouble to port in all the old threads to this new system, we've decided to leave the last version of the SSG forums right where they are as an archive. The cool thing about that is you can link to any thread in the archive from a post here on the new SSG forums, so keeping the conversation going from there to here is only a click away.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-15-2001, 10:34 PM
Great new look and features!

I especially like the AT-AT icon in Jedi's post. Everything is super nifty. But when I reregistered I couldn't fit my old name
in the box so I selected a new more bold moniker LBC. :eek:

I also guess this means we all go back to being Padawans or something akin to that.:mad:

But oh well, this new forum is a better trade off. Me likey
already. :D

vulcantouch
08-15-2001, 10:50 PM
aw man, i was close to crackin' a thou too :mad:

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 05:09 AM
Sorry gang, the situation came down to having the new forums up now without porting over the user database OR waiting a month and HOPING the user database would port over properly when the programmers figured it out, and the problems on the old forums were starting to get a little TOO wonky.

Here's something I thought you should know, right now, SirSteve has the system set so users cannot delete their own threads and can only edit their posts 5 or 10 minutes after they were created. If you'd like to see changes to that or other policies, please post in the Comments/Suggestions section.

The personal avatars kick in after a certain rank is achieved, you can upload any image you want as your avatar so long as it's within certain boundries (they're written on the personal avatar page, which you'll see when you get to the right point). You can choose a regular avatar from the 100+ we currently have by going to the User Control Panel under Options.

Anyway, sorry for any inconvenience and I really do hope you folks enjoy this sucker and all it's new features.

good shot jansen
08-16-2001, 09:08 AM
what gives? the registration would not let me put my full screen name in! :mad: i gusee it only allows 15 characters includin' the spaces, and my screen name good shot jansen is 16.

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

so right now, i ain't a happy camper!

np: pil - disapointed

good shot jansen
08-16-2001, 10:08 AM
i've only entered it 4 times now

good shot jansen
08-16-2001, 10:16 AM
every time i save my profile with my signature, i post a reply, make sure that the sig is on. when my reply get's posted, there's no sig. i go back to my profile, and it dosn't show my sig at all!

grrrrrrrrrrr.

let's see, i can't use my full screen name that i've been using for 4 years, and i can't get my sig to stay put.

mr. mckitrick, after careful consideration, i've come to the conclusion that your system........................

-war games

i'll give it some time, but i'm slightly perturbed for the moment. :mad:

good shot jansen
08-16-2001, 10:56 AM
about time! after i had edited and saved my sig, it would take me back to my profile page, and i kept checkin the update modification button. each time i did that, it would whack my saved sig. so this time after i had svaed the sig and was brought back to the profile page, i just clicked on the ssg forum link without hittin' the update modification button, and now the sig has been properly put in place!

yeah:)

now if only i could git my screen name back:mad:

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 11:25 AM
As for the user name length, I wasn't consulted on that, I'll see if we can get it pushed from 15 to 20 and if SirSteve will edit your usernames if he's willing to go to 20 characters.

As for the sig line thing, I'm glad we figured it out GSJ, those were the first PMs I've gotten yet, and they were all business. :p

good shot jansen
08-16-2001, 11:28 AM
won't the new system let you strike out the original line any more?

it looked so much cooler the old way!

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 11:56 AM
I dunno, it's HTML and since we're not allowing HTML, only VB code and it wasn't on the VB list, I didn't try.

Clone Wars

BTW, I just talked to SirSteve, the username max length is now 20, next week if you email me, I'll get him to change your usernames to what you want.

vulcantouch
08-16-2001, 12:19 PM
. . .i hadda designate my fsmmb profile as my "homepage", cuz the url for what i consider my "actual" homepage (my amazon reviews) was too long. oh well, good thing i've trained y'all to refer to yerselves by yer initials so you'd know how to adapt ;)
and speakin of sigs, during my initial registration i specified one, and planned to edit it later (i.e. reduce its font size like gsj showed me). but now i can't even View it, much less edit it. not that this matters Too much to me; i've always considered sigs a redundant waste of bandwidth :rolleyes: :p so i wouldn't display it more than once in a blue moon anyway. but it woulda been nice for it to be visible when someone clicks on my profile.
but what REEELLY concerns me is this biz about only being able to edit posts for 5-10 min. u see, i typically print up our crosstalk here (and that's aNother thing: the basic font size's so Big! even when i select "smallest" on the View bar, it's still bigger than the old size, which not only means more scrolling, but more paper when i print up stuff :( ), & then later peruse it in detail while relaxing somewhere. it's often only then that i spot confusing grammatical errors, think of clearer ways to word things & remember things i forgot to mention. of course, sometimes such retroactive edits only serve posterity (as here (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=20&PID=5371&seen=16)- a wit-sharpening i'm sure None of you've noticed :o ). but plenty of other times my corrections've made the diff in time for the intended viewer to see them :)
custom aVaTars for high-rankin posters, eh? funny- I'D been thinkin about that too :) if you feel like it jt, feel free to design me a blue-VioleT one, based on that symmetrical personal symbol i routinely festoon your pkgs with (for reference, latest one should get there soon, which'll hopefully add to yer motivational guilt re procrastinatin ;) )
vt
np: devo, "satisfaction"

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 01:11 PM
VT, as per the sig line, go to the User Control Panel, choose Edit Options, scroll down to see your sig line and then next to that is a graphic "Edit Signature", edit it, save it, then DON'T click "Update Modifications" or whatever the next button is. As soon as you've saved your Sig Line, go to the main page. It's not a glitch, just a confusing design (basically, when it doesn't work it's because you're saving an edit, and then updating with the previous info).

Dunno why it doesn't show the sig line in the profile like the last one, but that's just one of it's charms. ;)

About the edit time, if you're unhappy with it, I strongly suggest you make a post about such in the Comments/Suggestions section. We were having some deleted thread and post troubles in the other sections on the old system, so that prompted this change. If you let SirSteve know it IS an issue to you, he'll give it some thought. As it stands, I can edit posts if it's vital no matter when.

About the font size thing, perhaps it's your browser, because
the smallest VB size, size=1 writes the smallest size font there is in HTML, as far as I know it doesn't get smaller. Perhaps the pulldown isn't working for you, it doesn't agree with everybody's browser. If you choose it, you SHOULD see the above code around your smallest text. Maybe your browser's font sizes are set too large, both main brands of browsers let you change font sizes.

As per you sending another package before I've paid... DANG DANG DANG! Now I'm really doing badly on my end of this trade, sorry VT, I'll fed-ex your stuff tomorrow (I'm about to go to sleep right now, I've been up keeping tabs on the new forums, making sure everything's running right).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-17-2001, 11:22 PM
I see my name has changed already and someone else did it for me. :) I guess that means I have to change my sig:( too bad it was growing on me. I tell you what service on this website ;)

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
I see my name has changed already and someone else did it for me. :) I guess that means I have to change my sig:( too bad it was growing on me. I tell you what service on this website ;)

Yeah, I had a batch of changes for SirSteve and I figured I'd throw yours in with it. You *could* keep the sig line, people would just be really really confused. ;)

---

VT, I didn't get your stuff out today, the only place that was open taking fed-ex when I woke up didn't take cash, only fed-ex accounts and mine expired a couple years ago. :mad: Today I am helping SirSteve with the Wiz-World coverage, so I don't think I'll be getting your stuff out today either. I'll get it out to you monday with a bonus something for being forced to wait. So, to sum up: terribly sorry, terribly inconsiderate, terribly JT. ;)

SWAFMAN
08-18-2001, 09:46 AM
JT - I'm thinkin' Baal may be a bit envious of your avatar ;)

SWAFMAN
08-18-2001, 03:25 PM
FYI, I posted the following to the comments/suggestions page re: the home page field for our profiles...

homepage field needs to permit more characters... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203)

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 04:11 PM
Heh heh, my avatar isn't hellish, it's based on this larger one: http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/jt.htm

Swaffy, that is probably going to be the best argument for lengthening that field, how can SirSteve say "no" to a link off this very site? ;)

vulcantouch
08-19-2001, 03:56 AM
just a quik note imploring you Not to go to such lengths as using fed freakin' X to send stuff that Can wait ;)
bonus somethings, on the other hand, are always welcome ;)
vt
np: kama sutra, "nightwalk"

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
just a quik note imploring you Not to go to such lengths as using fed freakin' X to send stuff that Can wait ;)
bonus somethings, on the other hand, are always welcome ;)
vt
np: kama sutra, "nightwalk"
Ok, Fed-Ex is a no-go, Priority is a go (free boxes!), free bonus is a go! (it may not be MM exactly... but kinda... sorta... anyway, it's what I happen to have an extra of that you might find either appealing in a small way or disposable. ;))

vulcantouch
08-19-2001, 11:26 PM
. . . maybe it's a shuttle from the trek 5/6 ent-a model; Or a diecast bucky roj ship; Or rachel's diecast br car; Or an alpha cloudcar; or, or. . . :D btw most "disposable" stuff i get goes to b'jr anyway, so even if vt deems the mystery item an undesirable pieceacrap it won't go to waste ;)
ooo, i know what you can give me: the potj sandtrooper's binoculars look kinda cool, i'll take one of those :) or maybe potj duros' two-tone gun- but given the choice i'd take the binocs, cuz i may actually buy myself a duros, if/when i find it for ~$3 :)
glad i caught u in time. though priority also isn't necessary (pkg may be small enough to do 1st class), i can't BLIEVE you were Actually considering fedx; WHAT a drama queen :rolleyes:
vt
np: doors, "people are strange"
p.s. your font size & sig suggestions were No Damn Halp Atall :o :p
p.p.s. remember my comment about sigs being a waste of bandwidth? refer also to your use of the quote function :p

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 02:34 AM
I think you're just too obstinate to try the Sig Line editor without clicking "Submit Modifications" after clicking "Save" on the Sig editor. ;)

As for the Sandtrooper's binocs, he's sorta using them at the moment, holding them up to his helmet looking at Kaadu Jar Jar about to smash him in the face with an atlatl. And Duros is packin' his heater even as he's getting ready to chug-a-lug with the other Cantina patrons, gotta watch that wallet when you're a scrawny drunk alien.

vulcantouch
10-16-2001, 11:08 PM
let's just say i came across something interesting in the new guestbook at oblagon.com, something which prompted me to send the following email:

howdy,
hope you don't mind my writing; i spotted your guestbook signing at oblagon.com.
just letting you know about a forum where a number of us refugees from the long-defunct star wars buzzboard continue to this day to passionately churn out the micromachine talk & help each other find stuff:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24
take a look thru our archives, i think you'll be impressed with all we've posted there.
i'm sure i speak for all of us when i say we'd Love to hear from you there. i myself can think of a million questions to pepper you with :)
feel free to be in touch anytime-
vt
denver

JediTricks
10-17-2001, 09:27 AM
The more, the merrier

Slicker
07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome JediTricks!!:thumbsup:

Warstar
07-27-2006, 05:59 PM
THREADOMANCY!

KILL IT! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I finally got an official welcome

2-1B
07-28-2006, 12:25 AM
we've decided to leave the last version of the SSG forums right where they are as an archive.

LIAR ! :mad:

And happy upcoming 5th anniversary neo-SSG. :)

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Not at all, we decided to do that... "they" however had other plans.

Slicker
01-14-2009, 04:06 AM
And now the boards are over 6 years old.

Thanks again for the personal welcome, JT. :thumbsup:

LTBasker
01-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Thanks for digging this up, Slicker. Now I feel old, nostalgic and wasted in a non-fun way :p

Slicker
01-14-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm glad I could help. :love:

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
You're no longer welcome. ;)

Darth Jax
01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
he'll dig this thread up in a couple years to respond to that.

2-1B
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I remember learning of the new forums and posing as Rollo Tomassi as if it was yesterday. :love:

TeeEye7
08-29-2009, 02:22 PM
These are the new forums. They're more stable than the last forums SSG was using, and have even more features! With luck, everything will go smoothly. Here are some things I thought I'd point out:

You'll need to reregister once which requires a confirmation email (it's a very quick process), but if someone signs up using your old forum name, let us know and we'll fix the issue.
Instead of a "reset" button, there's a "preview post" button which will let you see how your completed post will look before you're ready to make it public!
Check out the Private Message feature! If you ask for this in your preferences, you can have a notice give you a javascript pop-up telling you when you get a new PM. This works only when you move from page to page, so if you sit on one page for 20 minutes without moving forward or back, you won't get that pop-up till you move along.
In the automatic VB Code panel, the "Enhanced Mode" doesn't seem to work with Netscape 4 and previous (I dunno about after), so if it's not working for you, that's not a glitch, either use direct code or use Normal mode.
Attach a file up to 20,000 bytes! (19k)! Remember that if you download a file, it's NOT checked for viruses by SSG.
When you complete a post, you get taken right to that post in the thread, not just at the top! No more scrolling down to see if your words are there.
Colors, sizes, even a few new fonts, you'll find many more new features in here like the personal avatar list, which is under the User Control Panel - Edit Options section and has over 100 avatars to choose from.

There's even more great stuff here to play with, and we may add more stuff in the future, so enjoy!

It's working! It's working!

*Puts back golden shovel* Hey! It's the anniversary month for the New Forums! Time to look back!