PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about The Rock

QLD
04-26-2002, 07:58 PM
I haven't been to see the Scorpion King yet, but I will this weekend. However, Hollywood is drooling over The Rock right now, and they sem to think he will be the next big thing.

I am a pretty big wrestling fan, and have seen him a lot, and I think he has the potential to do it. I am curious, what do you guys think? Is he the next Arnold? Or the next Dolph Lundgren?

DeadEye
04-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Not at all. If you see the scorpion king, you'll find it clear that he's better at wrestling than at acting.

Jargo
04-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Big hunk o' meat with no acting talent whatsoever. Hollywood has disappeared up it's own butt and calls anyone appearing on celluloid an actor. Acting is a skill, a craft that takes time to learn please don't sully the profession by using the rocks name and acting in the same sentence. I know you didn't but just in case.... He's a performer not an actor don't confuse the two. :)

bigbarada
04-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Like Schwartzenegger, the Rock is a personality not an actor.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-26-2002, 10:34 PM
I detest "pro" wrestling, but there's something about the Rock that makes him really interesting. I think he has a good image and has charisma, but it stops there. He was goofy in the Mummy 2, looks to be also not so good in SKing, and was really bad in the two SNLs I've seen him in. He probably loves his kids and calls his mom every Sunday evening, but he's no good at the acting thing.

Dar' Argol
04-27-2002, 01:08 AM
in my best Rock voice, which is pretty darn good. . . .

What do you think about the Rock?

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!

The Rock Says this. The Rock says that the Peoples Champ is the best damn sports entertainer in the world! And being that the Rock is the best sports entertainer, the Rock will be the best entertainer that Hollywood has ever seen!

IF YOU SSMMEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLAAAHH . . . . . . . . . .what the Rock . . . . . . . . . . . Is cookin!

Speaking of cooking, the Rock smells, *long sniff*, some PIE! But its not Cherry Pie. . . . . . . . . . . its not blueberry pie . . . . . . . . . . . . . heck, its not even Grandma Rock's apple pie! The Rock smells, *long sniff again*, some p . . . . . . . .

Sorry, got carried away:evil:

derek
04-27-2002, 04:15 AM
hey jargo,

notice QLD asked if he could be the next arnold or dolph, not de nero or crowe?:)

as big barada accurately pointed out, the rock, like arnold, is a personality . and while i care nothing about wrestling, i kinda like the rock. no rational person would call him an actor in the true meaning of the craft, but i wouldn't bet against him having a decent career in hollywood.

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 06:11 AM
I detest wrestling also. I think Duane Johnson would be pretty cool to hang out with, though. Y'know play golf, or whatever. I think he's worked hard to become celebrity and if he wants to make movies and become a superstar, then more power to him.

He's not an actor. And if he want's to be the next Ah-nuld, he should expand his range and watch what he signs on for. I could see him in a comedy. He was pretty good on SNL whan he hosted. Athletic types seem to crank out B-movies like crazy. Duane should keep it smart and wait for the "good" roles to come his way instead looking at top billing in crap.

Brave Sir Robin
04-27-2002, 11:16 AM
Damn, when I clicked on this thread, I thought you were talking about the Alcatraz movie with Sean Connery. The Rock sucks! Pro Wrestling sucks! The Mummy Returns sucked and the Scorpion King is gonna suck too!

Wolfwood319
04-27-2002, 11:23 AM
His acting leaves something to be desired, but he seems like a cool guy. I think he could do cool "entertaining" movies, but I don't see him giving any Oscar calibur performances.

The Scorpion King wasn't very good at all, but then again, it was a period action film, so I wasn't expecting much anyway.

I'd say, give him time, he might give a good movie or too. Heck, they tauch Bruce Lee how to "act," surly they could do the same with The Rock.

Sith Worm
04-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Finally the Rock has come back to the big screen!

Agree with you all and value your opinons, but (and with me there is always A butt!) I loved this flick should you wait for the home video release, yes does the movie in all suck, yes. Here is the but if you like the Rock and I do if you love wrastling and I do you will enjoy this movie! If anyone else would have made this flick it would have been A horrible bomb, but it wasn't because the Rock is the most electrafying star in sports entainment! And as I have said many times about the Epi. I haters if you don't like it don't watch it don't buy and sure as hell don't waist bandwith telling us how much you hate it...

Jargo
04-27-2002, 01:50 PM
Vice versa, if you don't want the negative to your shiny happy positive don't go to discussion boards. Two sides to every coin and both sides have the right to be heard. Don't like what you read? don't keep reading. :)

SithDroid
04-27-2002, 02:24 PM
The Rock seems like he is a pretty cool guy, but his acting is horrible. I cringed many times watching the Scorpion King. The only reason "Hollywood" is praising him right now is because the movie made a ton of money. People praise anything that makes a ton of money, whether it is crap or not. The thing I didn't like about the Scorpion King is that it was AIMED at wrestling fans. The electric guitar solos were totally uncalled for in this period piece, plus the "wrestling match" that happened between Michael Clark Duncan and The Rock just did it for me. The movie could have been great had they not aimed it at wrestling fans. Just because the actor is a wrestler doesn't mean that the rest of us should be subjected to the whole "wrestling" motief. The Rock is a personality just like Arnold, not an actor. True acting requires talent and years of study, which IMO none of them really have.

JetsAndHeels
04-27-2002, 03:08 PM
I saw the Scorpion King last weekend, and I must say that I have seen alot better, but I have definately seen worse. Is the Rock a good actor? No. He is simply a performer, an athlete, the guy who goes out every week and entertains the fans. Anyone who has seen him on WWF programming knows that he can make a fine speaker, taunter, the guy who talks the best smack about his opponent, etc. But the big screen is a whole other story. If he takes some time to develop his acting skills and is patient with his possibilities in new movies, he just might have a chance. Right now he is not an actor, but remember that with time he could improve.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Something funny about the Rock. My sister used to work at a motel in Orem, UT. One time she was helping an older lady to her room. When they got there she asked my sister if she knew who the Rock was and said he was her grandson.

I told a Samoan buddy about this because the woman was Samoan and supposedly the Rock is partially Samoan or at least Polynesian. He told me that about half the Samoans he knows claim that they are cousins to the Rock and Junior Seau. I asked another Samoan buddy of mine and he swears up and down that he's related to the Rock.

Anyways, I thought that was kind of funny. A guy named Duane Johnson, who I believe was raised in Texas, being claimed as a relative by islanders.

Hey, maybe I'm related to Jackie Chan. My dad did eat at a Chinese restauraunt once. ;)

QLD
04-28-2002, 04:13 AM
Well, I saw the film tonight. It wasn't as bad as I expected.

Also, to note on The Rock, his father was samoan, he was High Chief Peter Maivia I believe. ANd his mother is black. Anywho...

I thought did a fine job for the role he played. Is he on the same level as Pacino or Morgan Freeman? No. Will he ever win an Oscar, probably not. However, he has charisma and the look, which is all it takes to be an action film star. How many action stars are good actors? Arnold? Lundgren? Van Damme? Seagal? None are good. Plus, even at this point, he is far from the worst actor out there. I mean, look at guys like Keanu Reeves. Yikes. So, as far as his future is concerned, he will probably do very well and be very successful. Plus, would anyone else being in this movie have made it better? I doubt it. My problems with the Scorpian King were with the movie itself, not Rocky.

I think a lot of people are down on him because of the fact that he is a wrestler. That shouldn't matter. What matters is that he is an entertainer, and he does it very well.

With acting, I think it's one of those things you either have or you don't have. Sure you can fine tune your skills with studying and practice, but if you don't have it, you never will. I have done a lot of theatre in my time, and seen a lot as well. Fact is, every wrestler is an actor. And they are damn good ones too. Much better than a lot of professional ones. It takes a great deal of skill to make a missed punch look like they were leveled. Without editing, I doubt many actors aside from Jackie Chan are able to pull it of at all.

I thought the first NL Rocky did was great. This last one was horrrrible. But you can't blame him. He didn't write the material, and it was the material that was really, really bad. His performance was fine. Not his fault SNL has lost their touch.

Bottom line, was the Scorpian King good? No, not really. But, I do believe The Rock has a future ahead of him in film. I look forwrd to sewing how he progresses.

SithDroid
04-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Fact is, every wrestler is an actor. And they are damn good ones too. Much better than a lot of professional ones. It takes a great deal of skill to make a missed punch look like they were leveled.

That doesn't qualify them as ACTORS, more like stunt people.

Sith Worm
05-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Well to get this strait The Rock's real name is Duwayne Thomas and was born and lives in Florida his father is the legendary wrestler Ricky the Steamboat Dragon. You can for that matter check this all out in the Rock's book ,but if you had trouble making it through the movie you won't make it through the book. I love the Rock and Wrestling and do you like it?...

...It doesn't matter if you like it! and the Rock says....

(just for all the non Rock fans the last line is one of his trademarked qoutes i'm not trying to make anyone mad just trying to act like i'm funny, and when i say trademarked quotes i really mean it I had to pay Vince McMan $100.00 to write it)

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 08:32 AM
I think the Rock is a hideously unattractive individual and his "acting" abilities do nothing for me. Case closed.

QLD
05-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Sith Worm,

His real name is Dwayne Johnson.

His father was Rocky Johnson. Not Ricky Steamboat. Rocky Johnson is black, steamboat is asian. His grandfather was High Chief Peter Maivia. That is where he got his wrestling name, Rocky Maivia when he started wrestling. The called him the "Blue Chipper" because he was a 3rd generation wrestler.

Also, I don't know if he is attractive or not, though my girlfriend thinks so. However, I think he is just as good an actor or even better than the rest of the action stars.