PDA

View Full Version : Why did we hafta wait so long......

Taichi
04-27-2002, 01:37 PM
For a Vader with a removable helmet...

and we get a RH Jango right out the door????

I hate the Fetts......

Jargo
04-27-2002, 02:02 PM
I'd quite like some Imperials with removable helmets. Stormies, Biker scouts, tie pilots, Death star gunners, At-At drivers, AT-ST drivers. Just because they're baddies doesn't mean we don't want to see their faces. It would also allow me to do that Imperial helmet xylophone for my ewoks that I always wanted.

It'd just be cool to get some Imperials as well as rebels with removable helmets. Come to think of it they should all have removable helmets anyway. As long as they aren't squishy crappy plastic like the helmet that came with young Boba Fett I don't mind.:happy:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Umm, Taichi, how are we supposed to answer that question?

Maybe it's because Jango removes his helmet more than once in the entire Star Wars series. Too bad he can't remove his helmet in Episode III . . . :crazed:

JediTricks
04-29-2002, 04:29 AM
Taichi, it's because of the designs of the helmets. Jango's helmet is a simple over-the-head helmet, but Vader's helmet is a multi-part deal that goes over, in front of, and beneath. It's much more complicated.

Plus, if you look at the Jango Kamino figure's helmet, you'll see it's too long, so it's not like Hasbro did a fantastic job there. ;)

mark2d2
04-29-2002, 04:39 AM
Actually, the REAL reason is that Toy Technology is a wee bit more advanced than it was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the 80s which was the first time any of us even thought of getting Vader without his helmet.

JediTricks
04-29-2002, 05:11 AM
They did Leia Boushh and Lando w/ removable helmets back then, I bet Kenner could have pulled this off with only a little alteration of the form of the helmet.

Jargo
04-29-2002, 07:55 AM
Thing with removable helmets is that way back, they used much more rigid and brittle molding materials which meant that sculpts on helmets had to be quite thick. This meant smaller heads on figures which looked weird. By the time they got to ROTJ the materials had improved so the helmets improved but adding more items increases the cost of the figure due to extra molds and factory tooling.

These days they use more flexible finer molding materials which is why they can get the detail into the sculpts and make much finer and thinner helmets and accessories. But it still pushes cost up due to factory molds and tooling etc. However, seeing as most characters don't use weapons or just have a single blaster, it would make more sense to give them a removable helmet instead of a saber slashing action or leapfrog acion or electro blue gummy stuff. Wouldn't cost any more because if they're prepared to spend the money making a mold for electro blue gummy stuff, they can just as easily spend the money on something useful that is just as good in terms of play or display. And more movie accurate. Instead of giving Han Solo Endor raid the silly quick draw action, they could have spent the money to give him a removable AT-ST driver helmet so you could recreate that part of the movie. See what I'm saying? :)

NesteaFett
04-29-2002, 08:43 AM
AT-ST Driver helmet? It's been a little while since I've seen ROTJ, but I don't remember him having one?

humsup
04-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Of course AT-ST pilot dons a helmet. Its similar (if not the same) with Gen Veers (AT-AT commander).
About removable helmets to make Ewoks musical piece, we can use that of POTF2 Luke Stormy disguise :D or a more expensive note, the Han Stormy exclusives. Then there are also the Death Star Escape Cinema Scenes to be content with.

Oh how I wish I can get my hands on a removable helmet Royal Guard - not that "it" has ever removed their helmets ever :p

BanthaPoodoo
04-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Unless I read it wrong I think Jargo is saying that Han had a AT-ST helmet:

Instead of giving Han Solo Endor raid the silly quick draw action, they could have spent the money to give him a removable AT-ST driver helmet

I dont remember that either???

***edit: Darth Vader ----> *** I think they have already made one with a removeable helmet havnt they?? It was in the POTF line.......

pthfnder89
04-29-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
Unless I read it wrong I think Jargo is saying that Han had a AT-ST helmet:

I dont remember that either???

I think they have already made one with a removeable helmet havnt they?? It was in the POTF line.......

The Imperial with the removable helmet in the POTF line was the Death Star Trooper. He's dressen in all black. The AT-ST drivers helmet is similiar with a flare in the back, but is shapped a bit differently.

Han wore an AT-ST drivers helmet to trick the Imperials in ROTJ. He calls the Imperial commander inside the shield bunker to tell him that all the Rebels are fleeing into the woods, and he needs reinforcements to continue the pursuit. He also holds the commlink in front of his face so the commander won't recognize him.

Jargo
04-29-2002, 02:27 PM
That's what I'm on about. Han in AT-ST driver disguise. Although it's only from the head up it's still cool. Those stormtrooper helmets from the POTF figures are really poor. I'm saying we need some new ones done with the commtech stormie head sculpting quality. A little more accurate. This new accessory pack with death star trooper sounds promising but I'm not likely to see it so I'll have to be content with the POTF running version :(

Seriously, most figures just pack with a gun and that's that so adding a helmet that's removable isn't too much to ask and varies the look of the troopers if you collect a few like a lot of people do. captain Typho is great because he has a removable helmet if only it fitted properly and he could see out of the visor. but at least he came with one and Padme pilot should come with one too. But it's not Imperials is it? See, a perfect use for Hasbro's magnet feature would be in the heads and helmets and hats of the figures so they can make removable caps that would stay on by magnet power not slip off and get lost. *I just thought of that Hasbro so if you use it I'm sueing :p*
That is a great idea though. they wouuldn't have to butcher the sculpt to make the caps and hats and helmets fit then. They'd just be held in place as if by magic. hell - if hasbro can get a magnetic hand that doesn't look like there's a magnet in it they can get a magnet in a figures head no sweat. Think of how many figures would benefit from having removable helmets without those big unsightly lugs that hold it in place.

pthfnder89
04-29-2002, 02:34 PM
That hat idea is really good Jargo. I'd like to see that happen.

I agree, removable helmets are a perfect accessory for figures who are never seen with blasters and such. My favorite vintage toy was Leia Endor because she had not only a poncho, but a removable helmet AND a holster that worked! I think she was the only vintage figure with a holster wasn't she?

RooJay
04-29-2002, 07:43 PM
I doubt we'll be seeing any removeable helmet Stormtroopers until we know for sure whether or not they all are supposed to look like Jango! Remember, nobody knows for certain if the Stormtroopers are all clones or not.;) I for one would LOVE to have some removeable helmet Imperial soldiers (and I'd prefer they do not all look like Jango!). Guess we'll have to wait another four years for this one.

Jargo
04-29-2002, 07:56 PM
AHHHHHHH, but in the meantime we could get all new Luke and Han as stormies figures with that lovely commtech/sandtrooper style sculpt and all new likenesses with all new removable helmets. :D Plus they can milk the Luke stormie by putting him out with a Dianoga monster with a wet hair sculpt and a bit of dirt over the armour. Money for old rope should be right up Hasbro's street. :) No seriously - I think it's an excellent idea and I'd definately buy all of them if they were commtech standard and even more so if we got a dianoga monster medium beast pack.
Actually this ties into my Chewbacca with removable bandolier thread in the dear Hasbro section. Do all three and technically redo the awful cinema scene with classy sculpts. They could pack Chewbacca with the mouse droid done to scale like a lot of folk want and Luke and Han could pack with the removable helmets blasters binder cuffs and hand held comm unit.
The dianoga pack is a squishy dianoga with bendy tentacles so you can wrap them round Luke, an extendable eye stalk and a squeeze mechanism to make the mouth open and close. Luke like I said is just wet haired and dirty.

Now tell me you wouldn't buy that?

Dryanta
04-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Can't.
I'd definately buy that.

RooJay
04-30-2002, 03:57 AM
Hey Jargo, I'm thinkin' it's too bad we can't get YOU a job at Hasbro! I'd be so there dude! Now that I think of it...I wonder how hard it would be to get someone in charge of the Star Wars line at Hasbro that really respects the line, and is more of a fan than a marketing zombie? NAH! Something like that'd probably just end with the line being canceled, but we can still have our dreams of a perfect world!