PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Colors - Do They Mean Anything?

AreTwo-DeeTwo
03-08-2002, 01:50 PM
According to TheForce.Net at the end of the trailer 14 Jedi have different colored lightsabers. I think the colors were pink, white, orange, purple, green, blue and some others.
Personally I like that much more than just the green , blue, red, and Mace's purple lightsabers. Much more eye candy to feast upon.

Lord Tenebrous
03-08-2002, 01:57 PM
A lot of reports are conflicting with one another, so we'll just have to wait until Sunday.

Wake me up when we're there. :zzz:

AreTwo-DeeTwo
03-08-2002, 02:12 PM
B.S...I have not seen ANY conflicting reports at all on this matter. TFN said they saw the trailer. I trust them. I will undoubtedly check out the trailer Sunday. You will have to wake yourself up.

Co Jo-Da
03-08-2002, 04:58 PM
The debate over different colored lightsabers has been going on for a while but these last few days I've read a half dozen reports about a wide range of colors and tend to believe them... :D

2-1B
03-08-2002, 08:24 PM
I hope they use multiple colors. We know Mace uses purple, and for awhile I was under the impression that only he would have a unique color. Why should Mace be the only with without green or blue?

I agree, multiple colors will be visually appealing :)

Lord Tenebrous
03-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Multiple colors would look like a Skittles commercial.
Mace: Taste this rainbow, !@#$ ! :p

It seems the colors are still based upon the basic red/green/blue premise, and may actually be different shades, not different colors. You have to note that the coloration between celluloid and digital is slightly different, so there might be a disagreement in what colors are actually there. The white/pink, I believe, is a nod to ANH, where the lightsaber colors weren't defined well.

PloKoon2385
03-09-2002, 01:29 AM
I think it is neccessary to have different colors besides red, blue and green. Maybe Georgie is listening to the fans after all. He DID get rid of N*Stink after fans moaned and groaned. Hmm... Anyways, I hope that it is true about the multi colored sabers. I just must remember to watch the trailer now...

Co Jo-Da
03-09-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
I think it is neccessary to have different colors besides red, blue and green.

I totally agree, in the OT (and in TPM) Georgie could get away with Jedi's only using BLUE and GREEN sabers but with over 200 Jedi's in one scene fighting the color scheme changes dramatically...

Obi-Don
03-09-2002, 06:33 AM
There should be different colors of lightsabers. The look of that would be very cool in the fight scene. Lets hope GL didn't cut this idea.

Pendo
03-09-2002, 07:57 AM
There should deffinetly be different colours of lightsabers. Even if most of them are Blue, Green and Red (maybe the most popular and easy to find crystals), I'd still like to see some yellows, oranges, and whites.

PENDO!

LTBasker
03-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Welp, according to something, the blade is formed by a laser going through a crystal within the lightsaber and whatever is the color of that will be the color of the blade, like a ruby would be red, an emerald would be green, etc. So it's not impossible for there to be variants, I mean if Mace can have purple (which I hope he's not the only one to have it) then there should be other variants like on green.

chewie
03-09-2002, 12:38 PM
I bet the effects crew made two versions of the scenes. One with just blue and green sabers, the other with multi colored just to see how it would look. Apparently it does look cooler with multiple colors. And I tend to agree.

Jargo
03-09-2002, 12:53 PM
If you look at crystals we have here on earth they come in varying colours and those colours have different tones and shades, so any crystal used for a saber would surely have subtle differences in the colour? It's different with ordinary earthly lasers but as the sabers aren't exactly pure lasers then it's fair to assume there would be a bit of individuality in the choosing of crystals to make a saber.

Aesthetically speaking, it makes more sense in a huge scene like the arena battle to have differing saber colours so that they don't all blend into one big blue and green light show. It was probably easier to pick out individual jedi in the animating process by assigning different shades to each one. Bultar Swan is say orange and so she always has that colour and it's easier to make the saber work and stand out if two sabers cross in a shot.. I'm making a mess of explaining this but I think you get where I'm coming from. :)

Jek Porky 2002
03-09-2002, 12:55 PM
I hate the idea of multiple coloured lightsabers, it will just look plain silly! I don't understand you people, how could you want multi coloured lightsabers , silly, silly, silly!

PloKoon2385
03-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Explain Porky. I think that JARGO is right, there would be a big green or blue blur without the different colors. So why don't you like multi-colored lightsabers?

LTBasker
03-09-2002, 03:37 PM
I'd like to see a black lightsaber, that would be cool too see in a battle, and it's not impossible, I think black crystals form due to volcanic activity like a certain period of time after a volcano erupts, perfect for a supreme evil Sith Lord. :D

I'm not really worried about the saber colors "clashing", it's just when you have a more variety of colors, it's much more fun and interesting to watch. Has anyone played Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight? There are various lightsaber colors to choose from, and you can definitely tell the difference in a battle when people are using the various colors instead of just Blue, Green or Red. :cool:

Co Jo-Da
03-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
there would be a big green or blue blur without the different colors.

That's a good enough reason for me...

Beast
03-10-2002, 12:43 AM
Well, here is the pic of the multiple colored lightsabers. It does look like it won't just be blue, green, red, and purple in the movie. Of course anything can still happen between now and the movie release. I am sure that alot of you remember the original "Return of the Jedi" trailer, that showed Luke's saber colored blue. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Co Jo-Da
03-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Nice Picture JAR JAR but I wish it was closer, oh well beggers can't be choosers...

LTBasker
03-10-2002, 03:15 AM
Very nice pic, that's definitely a need to see!!!!!!!

Pendo
03-10-2002, 06:17 AM
I love the idea of there being different coloured lightsabers, but the only wory is that there is alot of room for errors. In one shot a jedi could have an orange lightsaber, but when we next see the jedi it could be red. I just hope the special effects team take their time to identify each jedi and thier L-saber colour.

PENDO!

Pendo
03-10-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I'd like to see a black lightsaber, that would be cool too see in a battle, and it's not impossible, I think black crystals form due to volcanic activity like a certain period of time after a volcano erupts, perfect for a supreme evil Sith Lord.

Can light pass through a black crystal? I didn't know that!

PENDO!

P.S. Cool picture JJB, where'd you get it?

Beast
03-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
Cool picture JJB, where'd you get it?
A friend of mine e-mailed it to me, with a couple others. The other ones he sent me are now on the front page. Looks like they are making their way across the net. To bad that the trailer hasn't slipped out yet somewhere. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-10-2002, 02:59 PM
I love the idea of there being different coloured lightsabers, but the only wory is that there is alot of room for errors. In one shot a jedi could have an orange lightsaber, but when we next see the jedi it could be red. I just hope the special effects team take their time to identify each jedi and thier L-saber colour.
PENDO!

Good point, I wouldn't be surprised at some mix ups. The average moviegoer won't notice, I'm sure . . . but for those of us who see it multiple times and then another few times after :D will start to pick up on that.

Pendo
03-11-2002, 10:06 AM
I havent watched the trailer yet because I CAN'T DOWNLOAD IT :( :( :( !!!!! But from the pictures I've see there doesn't seem to be any othere colours other than green and blue (and Mace's Purple), can anyone tell me if you can see multi-coloured sabers in the trailer?

PENDO!

Jedi Clint
03-11-2002, 10:18 AM
Purple and green in the arena scenes. Red, blue, and green in all the rest. I think purple is the only addition to the lightsaber color family.

Beast
03-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Purple and green in the arena scenes. Red, blue, and green in all the rest. I think purple is the only addition to the lightsaber color family.

Now that we have seen a better picture of the few jedi surrounded by droids, it looks like there isn't a bunch of multiple colors after all. I think what showed up as purple in that picture is actually going to be blue, it's just a hazy shot because they only show blue and green, other then Mace's purple in the other pics. Oh well, I didn't care much for the rainbow colored sabers anyway. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
03-11-2002, 11:36 AM
And how many of those Jedi do you actually think are going to survive?
It doesnt look like Anakin and Obi Wan are in there. They are probably in the hangar at this point.
What a great battle scene this will be!!

Co Jo-Da
03-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Well, the Jedi Order takes a massive loss to win this battle, hard to imagen why... :crazed:

Freedom
04-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Do lightsaber colors mean anything?

I originally thought Padawans have blue blades, Masters have green blades, and Sith have red blades.

But, in AOTC Obi-Wan still carries a blue blade and a few of the Jedi Counsil, like Plo Koon, carry blue blades and Mace has a purple blade.

I then thought color may idicate intensity or strength of blade, but then why wouldn't everybody construct themselves the strongest blade?

I also thought it just may have to do with what materials from what planet you used to create your blade. Then, wouldn't there be more colors?

Anybody know or have an idea. If it's just your idea say so. Thanks.

Pendo
04-27-2002, 03:51 PM
I think it's just personal choice. The lightsabers are made using crystals and depending on the colour of the crystal, the colour of the blade will be. There are only red, green and blue crystals. Mace's purple saber was made by having two crystals, blue and red, so when the light passes through them it comes out purple.

PENDO!

DeadEye
04-27-2002, 08:16 PM
Only Sith can have red lightsabers, and their blades are red because the Sith use synthetic crystals. Jedi use natural crystals, allowing their blades to be blue, green, orange, purple or yellow.

Taichi
04-28-2002, 01:20 PM
I usedta hate the idea of multicolored sabers, but it does make sense.....

and will be a lot more visually pleasing than just Red/Blue/Green

especially in a huge fight scene with 200 Jedi.....

think about it.......Luke's green saber..........could have one green crystal, or one yellow, and one blue crystal.....

same with Mace......one red, one blue.......

it's cooler to have different combinations........much more visually pleasing....and fun

Taichi
04-28-2002, 01:24 PM

Can light pass through a black crystal? I didn't know that!

PENDO!

P.S. Cool picture JJB, where'd you get it?

Yes, Light can pass through black crystal....

There is a volcanic glass called obsidian, and when light passes through it, it comes out a smoky deep gray.......

pretty neat.........

Pendo
04-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Cool info Taichi, thanx!

I was dissapointed when I found out that there wouldn't be multi coloured l-sabers in AOTC, I was hoping to see some yellows and oranges, but it looks like I'll have to settle with the one purple saber which will probably look out of place in the battle (and possible saga?). Oh well, George needed something he could tamper with in the Special Eddition, and I hope he does give them multi coloured sabers in the AOTC:SE!

Also, is it just me or do all the blue sabers look purple at the end of the Clone War trailer, do I need to change the colour settings on my computer?

PENDO!

chewie
04-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Its not just you. Its because of the red dust/atmosphere of geonosis that makes those blue sabers look a bit purplish. Well, IF that atmosphere was real anyway. ILM just took that into consideration when they did the light saber rotoscoping.