PDA

View Full Version : Big Name Stars - Do They Bother You?

Freedom
04-27-2002, 02:50 PM
In the Original Trilogy we had no big name stars. Harrison Ford, Carie Fisher, and Mark Hamel were nobodies. The big actors were from Europe so we'd never heard of them.

Do you think having big name stars like Sam Jackson (Pulp Fiction, Shaft), Liam Neeson (Darkman, Rob Roy), or Jimmy Smitts (L.A.Law, NYPD Blue) effects the movie in anyway. Granted it's not Mel Gibson, Julia Roberts, or Brad Pitt, but they are well known just the same.

Do you think any movie can get away with a cast full of no names these days? Even Star Wars?

Sith Lord 0498
04-27-2002, 04:40 PM
Honestly, if they can turn in the performance, then it doesn't matter to me if they're big name stars or not. Granted, a true A-list actor like Brad Pitt, etc. would be a bit disorienting and take the audience out of the fantasy world. But I really didn't notice that Qui-Gon was Liam Neeson while I was watching the movie because he made the character stand out--not himself. I will admit though that seeing Sam Jackson seems strange, but at least Lucas is finally exploiting his true talent in AOTC, and that is that Sam Jackson is one bad motherf****r!!!

CrossWizard
04-27-2002, 05:57 PM
In the Original Trilogy we had no big name stars.

Peter Cushing(Grand Moff Tarkin) and Alec Guinness(Obi Wan) were some pretty big names in those days, but not to the young audience anyways.

Pendo
04-28-2002, 07:35 AM
Having big names in a movie will attract more people to go and see it.
I don't mind big name stars as long as they're right for the part. Just look at Christopher Lee, he is a big name and he is perfect as Dooku!!

PENDO!

Freedom
04-28-2002, 11:22 AM
I was more talking about mainstream American actors, like Sam Jackson who is now part of Pop Culture.

leenovak
04-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Doesn't bother me in the least.

I will change that opinion if we suddenly hear Mace Windu say "It's my duty to please that booty."

DeadEye
04-28-2002, 01:16 PM
I don't care if the stars are famous or not...much more important to me is their performance in the movie. ;)

derek
04-28-2002, 06:20 PM
lucas has admitted that he was not sure episode 1 would make money, so i'm sure casting some known actors had something to do with it. but, if you think about it, none of the prequil trilogy actors are bonafied movie stars. they are known, but none of them can open a film by themselves. i like them all, but in superstar terms(tom cruise, tom hanks, julia roberts, mel gibson) actors like neeson, mcgregor, and portman are second tier actors. not anywhere near B status, but not internationally known.:)

neeson even admitted in an interview the reason he took the role in episode 1 was to boost his resume.

JEDIpartner
04-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Having big name stars in the films don't really bother me as long as they can make the characters interesting. I liked Liam and Ewan and they are pretty big stars. Sam Jackson gets on my nerves a little bit, but that's just me. He's a decent actor and everything, but I think of him in so many other "street" type roles that it is a little off, for me anyhow.

Really... the only time big name stars bother me is when they come over and ask me if I'm gonna finish my fries or something... damn! They can afford their OWN fries!!!!! :mad:

just kidding... :D

DeadEye
04-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Good one, good one. :)

LTBasker
04-29-2002, 09:46 PM
They're fine as long as they don't try to turn the spotlight on themselves like Hayden has, even though he's not a big-name star until now. I don't mind them but the only things that bothers me is when they try to take complete credit and when the movie is hyped just because of them.

derek
04-29-2002, 10:11 PM
LTBasker,

how has hayden "turned the spotlight on himself"?