PDA

View Full Version : Are Original trilogy Characters appearances in AOTC Necessary?

Freedom
04-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Are characters just being added for the hell of it? Can their introduction in the Original trilogy not be enough?

Example: R2 & Threepio in Menace. I actually liked R2's introduction but didn't care for Threepio's. Having Anakin build Threepio was a little much. I still say he didn't "create" Threepio. He just rebuilt him like you do a car.

And now we have Jango and Boba Fett. Is this George's way of showing us what Boba Fett could have been? Is Boba Fett that important to this story?

Should we see a young Han Solo and/or his father in EIII? A young Lando? How about a baby Bosskk?

I could acctualy see a cameo of Chewbacca as an Imperial slave toward the end.

Beast
04-27-2002, 04:04 PM
The story was always intended to be told from the point of view of R2-D2 and C-3PO. They just had to get away from that aspect in E1, so that they could introduce both of them. There was talk of what Lucas planned for Episode 7,8,9 and the talk was the last shot of Episode 9 would show the whole story was being told by C-3PO and R2-D2. Similar to what C-3PO was doing in that little spot before ESB's showing on TV Thursday.

That was why in ANH C-3PO tells Luke that he's not one for telling stores. Or at making them intresting anyway. But in ROTJ he's showing how much he has grown and learned in the few years, by telling the tale of the rebellion to the Ewoks. Sadly Lucas has said that the final trilogy will most likely never be made now. :(

As for Boba, I am guessing he is a pretty important person to the story, from his part in E2, and suspected part in E3. We'll get to see his early hate for the Jedi's in E2. And that he seems to have feelings for Padme. I am betting it's those feelings for her that will end up with her going into hiding, and everyone thinking she is dead. I think Boba is going to end up letting her go, when he runs into her fleeing Coruscant. He'll most likely tell Vader that he disintegrated her fleeing ship, and he thinks she's dead.

As for Han, he's not majorly important to the prequels. Though as Tycho has theroized, he may pop up. But the Empire didn't enslave Wookies until the time period between E3 and E4, so I don't think Chewbacca will appear either. Though again, it's all depends on what Lucas decides. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dak Powers
04-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Han?! In the Prequels?! Gosh I hope not... His introduction in ANH was enough, doesn't everybody think? I mean... He obviously doesn't know anything about Obi-Wan or Anakin Skywalker or ANYTHING before he meets Ben and Luke in the Cantina, right? He's just a regular smuggler with no love for the Empire but no interest in the Rebellion, either. Han is completely blind to what's happening when he's introduced in IV. Bringing Han in would be a HUGE mistake.

Cameos of people (as in, seeing a five year old walking around Dexter's diner with a black vest, white shirt and blue pants w/Corellian bloodstripe) are good, seeing a few familar folks in the background oblivious to what's happening is fun. But pre-introduction to introductions are just silly. Does everybody see what I'm saying about Han?

Dak Powers
04-28-2002, 02:26 PM
I'd like to see Corellia in Episode III.

Beast
04-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Probably not Corellia, but Alderaan is one of the planets that is rumored to make an apperance in Episode III. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
04-30-2002, 12:43 AM
I've never been able to stomach the appearance of C-3P0 and R2 in Ep1, it just seemed a completely unnecessary link to the original trilogy. As for the movies being revisited from the droid's POV, George said in his Ep1 commentary that while that was the case for IV - VI, he said that Ep1 is told through the eyes of the Jedi. He also said that he just got a kick out of featuring R2 and Threepio in the new movies.

chewie
04-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Yes, there are far too many incredible circumstances in the enormous SW universe to have so many characters be related to one another in some fashion. Showing the origins of OT characters is also highly unecessary for plot advancement.

gibbyhayes
04-30-2002, 12:58 AM
Despite his trillions of $, Lucas is a cheap ***$. In AOTC George is recycling his mask collection like you wouldn't believe. If he ever used it previously, you'll see it here dusted and polished with a new name!

Beast
04-30-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
Despite his trillions of $, Lucas is a cheap ***$. In AOTC George is recycling his mask collection like you wouldn't believe. If he ever used it previously, you'll see it here dusted and polished with a new name!
Oh? And that's why he spent his own money to make Episode I, and is doing the same thing for EII. And saying they are re-using masks from the OT is just silly. Half of those masks are deteriating beyond belief and have to be stored properly so they don't disintigrate. All of the masks you see in the movie are new versions based off the original masks. They have been totally redesigned and are of more lightweight materials so the actors movements under the mask translate thru it to their performances. Nice to see that you would consider someone that could have said..."Screw the Prequels, I don't have to spend my vast fortune to make people happy. "... cheap. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
04-30-2002, 01:37 AM
The introduction of all the main characters is getting to be a little lame. I for one did not want Boba Fett to be in AOTC because I always liked his past as a secret. Now we get to find out that he is a clone and that his "dad" is the one producing them in order to start a war. First of all, I don't think that this is the sort of work a BOUNTY HUNTER should be doing. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the Bounty Hunter. I always thought that a bounty hunter was someone who tracked down people or objects for a reward, but obviously I was wrong.

The introduction of C-3P0 was stupid in TPM. Anakin builds him, yet in the OT we never get a connection between the droid and Vader. The whole thing makes no sense what so ever. R2-D2 was a little far fetched as well. He just happened to be on the Queen's starship? Whatever, way too convenient writing for my liking.

Jabba in TPM was just thrown in for OT recognition as well. There was no need for him to be in it.

I hope and pray that we won't see Han, Chewbacca, or Lando in EP III.

Jedi Clint
04-30-2002, 01:43 AM
Jango isn't creating the clone army. He is being paid to remain on Kamino and supply them with fresh material for creating the clones. He was hand picked by Tyranus to be that source. He liked the idea of having a clone of himself to raise as a son, and the pay was not something he could afford to pass up. It offered little risk as opposed to the assassination of Padme. The Fett's story works well in AOTC....IMO.

Wolfwood319
04-30-2002, 04:10 AM
I liked how R2 was included, I thought it started his character pretty well.

I didn't like 3PO's introduction, but I don't lose any sleep over it. Jabba in TPM was just eye candy. I don't think it affected any aspect what so ever.

I never cared for Boba Fett, I always thought of him as a glorified extra.

It looks as if Jango Fett actually plays a somewhat important role in AOTC, so I don't mind that. As for Boba Fett, well, I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't judge him. I think that GL just wanted to tie the prequels in more with the OT, so instead of creating another new character, he just took an older one and "revamped" him. If anything, this will make me actually respect the character for once. Especially if he does something important in E3.

Whatever, way too convenient writing for my liking.

The entire original trilogy is just a matter of conveniences when you think about it.

preacher
04-30-2002, 02:02 PM
I think actually, the opposite as most of you. I like the way 3PO was introduced. It actually enhances the scene in Empire when Fett lifts his rifle to shoot down Chewbacca and Vader pushes the rifle down. I never understood why Vader would care whether or not Chewbacca lived or died. But we learn later that Anakin was actually 3POs maker and suddenly that scene of Empire makes sense. Plus it was a way of showing the Anakin had not been completely lost to the dark side. He had enough sentimentality in him that he didn't wish his own creation destroyed...akin to his relationship with Luke. Whether Lucas meant it that way or not originally, I find it a completely ingenious way of weaving the two story arcs together.

R2D2 saves the ship. Wow. How original. He did it more as a means of saving himself than anyone aboard. Don't get me wrong I like R2, his intro was very forced though.

The Boba Fett introduction did not appeal to me at first. I was one of those that thought maybe Fett was actually kitster. Don't laugh. Now, the more I've read up on the father son relationship thing the more I'm really excited to see how Jango and Boba interact together. There was some speculation as to whether the braids on Boba Fetts shoulder were from wookies or padawan learners. I really hope that its the latter as it would make Boba Fetts signficance to the Star Wars saga that much more poignant. And would clarify why Fett and Vader seem to have this mutual respect for each other and talk as equals. "No disentegrations!"

SithDroid
04-30-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by preacher
I think actually, the opposite as most of you. I like the way 3PO was introduced. It actually enhances the scene in Empire when Fett lifts his rifle to shoot down Chewbacca and Vader pushes the rifle down. I never understood why Vader would care whether or not Chewbacca lived or died. But we learn later that Anakin was actually 3POs maker and suddenly that scene of Empire makes sense. Plus it was a way of showing the Anakin had not been completely lost to the dark side. He had enough sentimentality in him that he didn't wish his own creation destroyed...akin to his relationship with Luke. Whether Lucas meant it that way or not originally, I find it a completely ingenious way of weaving the two story arcs together.

OK. So many people believe that Vader pushed down Boba Fett's Blaster so as not to harm C-3PO. Here is the real deal. The only reason he pushed down Boba Fett's Blaster was because he needed Chewbacca and Leia alive so that they could be "BAIT" to lure Luke to the Carbon Freezing Chamber. And that is exactly what happened. No other reason, without that what reason would Luke have had to follow a bunch of Stormtropers? Certainly he would have avoided them. He was there to help Leia and Han and so that is why he followed. But if it makes all of you happy to believe that Vader "saved" C-3P0's life, then go ahead.

preacher
05-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Luke didn't love Chewbacca Sithdroid. They were chums, but he had an intimate connection with Leia. I could see your point if Fett was aiming at Leia. Han and Leia were the bait as can be evidenced by Luke's dialogue with Yoda. "But Han and Leia will die if I don't!" "And sacrifice Han and Leia" "Han...Leia" If it was just Chewbacca at cloud city I seriously doubt Luke would have cut his training short. Talk about useless characters, Chewbacca takes the cake.

Your sarcasm aside, had you bothered to read the full context of my post rather than go on the attack, you would see the point I was trying to make in a general sense, is that the appearance of characters shouldn't be prejudged until the whole saga is complete. Those of you that hate Jarjar will have good reason to because he is instrumental in the direction of events that leads to the clone war.

Be a bit more open-minded dude. Not everyone is going to share your opinions. Makes you look like a jerk if you bash people just because they believe differently than you.

SithDroid
05-01-2002, 04:32 PM
First off, I'm not bashing people and second I am not a jerk. I read the full context of your post and I get where you are coming from, but all I'm trying to say is that people are now trying to find ways of incorporating why minute stuff in the OT can be seen as referring to the PT. Also I stand firm because if you go back and watch that scene you will notice how close Leia is to Chewie and Vader couldn't take the risk of Boba Fett misfiring and killing her. That was my point. I didn't mean to attack anyone about the issue, but it is just a point that I thought needed to be brought up.

Plus, I hardly doubt that Vader cared for the droid in the first place. There is no evidence in the OT that they were even connected. Plus if Vader so much as cared about the droid then why would he have let his Stormtroopers blast him to pieces. Sure he'll cut his own sons hand off, but when it comes to his precious droid we wouldn't want anymore harm to come to it, after all he has already been blown apart. See where I'm coming from.

By the way I am open-minded and by you calling me a jerk that only shows that you don't have respect for other peoples ideas and opinions such as my own. Your handle is "preacher," I suggest you stick by it.

preacher
05-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Chill. This isn't a presidential debate. It really isn't that important to me. I understood your point. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2002, 02:23 PM
The problem that most of you are having is that the end of the story was told first. Yeah... the Threepio part is a little silly (he SHOULD have been Padme's assistant as TC-14 was to the Trade Federation). The fact that Artoo was there on the Royal Starship basically set up his "heroics" for the last films. You forget that these are the first times we are being introduced to these characters. I think that, had we no knowledge of the OT, we would accept these "introductions" as they are and not really care too much about them.

I think we have enough OT characters in this film. The galaxy isn't THAT small!!! The droids, Yoda, Palpatine, Anakin and Obi-Wan are all we need from the OT. Two messengers, two villains and two heroes... that's all. I'm glad they cut the little Greedo scene. That would have been really obnoxious. I think Luacs has even stated that there will be no "cameos" of OT characters in EPISODE III, so we really needn't concern ourselves with such things. :D

By the way... a thread was started, so we are discussing the topic. That's why we are here... no?

Beast
05-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
The problem that most of you are having is that the end of the story was told first. Yeah... the Threepio part is a little silly (he SHOULD have been Padme's assistant as TC-14 was to the Trade Federation). The fact that Artoo was there on the Royal Starship basically set up his "heroics" for the last films. You forget that these are the first times we are being introduced to these characters. I think that, had we no knowledge of the OT, we would accept these "introductions" as they are and not really care too much about them.

I think we have enough OT characters in this film. The galaxy isn't THAT small!!! The droids, Yoda, Palpatine, Anakin and Obi-Wan are all we need from the OT. Two messengers, two villains and two heroes... that's all. I'm glad they cut the little Greedo scene. That would have been really obnoxious. I think Luacs has even stated that there will be no "cameos" of OT characters in EPISODE III, so we really needn't concern ourselves with such things. :D
Good point, if the movies had been made in their numerical order, I think fewer people would have a problem with charecter introductions. Infact they would be considering C-3PO and R2-D2 showing up again on Tatooine in ANH, and being purchased by the Lars family and their nephew Luke, an even bigger case of playing plot convenience playhouse.

It wasn't Lucas that stated there would be no "cameos" of OT charecters in EIII, it was Rick McCallum. He doesn't know everything that Lucas has planned, and he certainly can't reveal it at this point if he did. Ricky McC was also the one that swore that Boba Fett would not make an apperance in the prequels, before E1 was released. So I don't take anything he says as any more factual then the stuff us "deranged fans" come up with. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
05-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

It wasn't Lucas that stated there would be no "cameos" of OT charecters in EIII, it was Rick McCallum. He doesn't know everything that Lucas has planned, and he certainly can't reveal it at this point if he did.

Plus, Lucas hasn't started writing Episode 3 yet, and he won't until AOTC hits theaters. So really, anything that doesn't come from his mouth (and maybe even some things that do;)) are rumour.

I would bet that Lucas has a better idea of what is the plot of Ep3 is going to be than he did of the first two, since everything has kind of led up to it. But I think it's funny how strongly people disagree about how much Lucas already "knew" about the plot of the prequels. Some people honestly still believe that he had already written the entire script for the prequels before the OT was made, even though he has stated several times that he only had a basic story idea.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2002, 09:48 PM
Ahhh... yes- you are correct. It WAS Ricky McNugget who made that claim. I'm pretty confident, at this point, that Lucas will refrain from anymore groan inducing moments. After all... he DID cut the Greedo scene from TPM. (Thank God!)

mark2d2
05-05-2002, 03:38 AM
I agree. Enough is enough with the cameos. The Star Wars Universe is suddenly smaller than the high school I attended --- Fargo South High.

The Greedo Scene was bad. AniKID building Threepio was just plain silly. Now IF he had built Artoo that would have been very interesting because Artoo is constantly the greatest cause of Vader's grief. Nice Irony. This is also coupled with the fact that Vader did blast the heck out of Artoo during the ANH X-wing battle.

For the record, I don't buy the Vader saves Threepio in ESB either. Mainly because as we've seen time and time again --- the droids are apparently indestructable.

I agree, C3-P0 should have just been Padme's aid or something. Frankly, I also would have like to see a bit more of him. C3-P0 is actually funny unlike certain other characters . . .