PDA

View Full Version : Am I an idiot or a decent guy ??????

INDIANA
09-06-2001, 04:53 PM
I was at the TRU in Woodfield last night looking for the TIE. I asked the manager who told me they did recieve them (first time I heard about them hitting the Chicago area) BUT they were all gone. She wasn't sure how many she got in. As I was leaving (it was AFTER 9:30 and I was one of the last people in the store) I look up by the service desk and lo and behold, in a cart right next to the desk is a TIE. I grab it quick like and notice a big red and white sticker HOLD FOR....

NOW.....I look around and the closest employee is about 30 feet away at a register. There's NO ONE at the desk. It would have taken me seconds to toss the HOLD sticker away, walk up to the cashier and buy the thing outright.

I didn't.

As I made my way to the door, TIE-less, I already began kicking myself for doing/not doing the right/wrong thing???

Idiot or decent guy?

INDIANA
09-06-2001, 04:55 PM
PS If your name is EVERETTE and you have a TIE on hald at the Woodfield TRU......you owe me.........

Fulit
09-06-2001, 04:58 PM
decent if you ask me. I tend to think in terms of "what if I was the one they were holding it for". Then again, I can't say what I would have done in that situation, but I think you did the right thing.

Cool Han Luke
09-06-2001, 05:21 PM
Why don't you call and have them hold one for you? I'm sure if it worked for ole Everette it will work for you. Just give them the SKN# 239316 and find out when there next shipment is.Once you find out the date you can call and have them hold one. It worked for me.

JediMaster
09-06-2001, 05:56 PM
,,,you absolutely did the right thing. I often ask my TRU to hold things for me, or for the area Fan Club that I am president of, and they always oblige me, and I would feel hurt, anger and rage if I was to return for said held items, only to find them gone. You see, I have a relationship with this TRU, and they have been very kind to assist me in my needs, and I return the favor by calling them if I decide not to return to purchase the items. I take only what I need, and if I happen to be short of cash, I can always have that which I cannot then afford held for me. Anyhoo, Kindness begets kindness. In this hobby, that's an all too rare thing. Kudos, to you, Indiana. You did good.

master jedi
09-06-2001, 10:52 PM
Well since my TRU doesn't have a HOLD FOR policy thingy I'd say idiot.

GNT
09-07-2001, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by INDIANA
Am I an idiot or a decent guy ??????

Yopur an Idiot for not getting it!

and your a decent guy for leaving it,which makes you not greedy!

JediTricks
09-07-2001, 07:32 AM
"Idiot"? No, but you made a mistake that cost you a TIE Interceptor, and you didn't even have to to remain "decent" since TRU has a corporate policy of not holding toys past closing, you could have asked an employee for it since the original buyer didn't show up in time. I've gotten a bunch of stuff that way, all I had to do was ask the employees and they were MORE than happy to hand me the item since it saved them from having to put it back themselves.

Fulit
09-07-2001, 10:33 AM
I'll say it for you Indiana. D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obi-Don
09-07-2001, 11:47 AM
I would have to say you are one decent person.Hats off and what ever else i'm wearing to you.The person who was having that held for them may never know just what you did for them but we do.:cool:

Darth Cruel
09-07-2001, 12:07 PM
I am not sure about anywhere else, but in SoCal "decent" and "idiot" are all-to-frequently interchangeable. I can't tell you how often I get angry with myself for doing a "right thing" that I know few others around here would do. I have come to tolerate the fact that a kind deed will usually make me end up on the losing end.

Now let's look at this situation (and this is information only, it is not my place nor intent to chastise). The truth is that you did not do Everette any favors. You chose not to steal from him (and that is good), but you did not give him anything that he did not already have (in this case...a chance to get a T.I.E. Interceptor). You had no claim to that particular peice save for through a dishonest act. I am glad you made the right choice, but that particular choice doesn't bring you up on the "Goodpersonometer". But you do get to stay at the same level, it doesn't bring you down on the scale either.

This opinion is based largely on my own belief that values in general are moving away from good deeds being a matter of course. Now we all (me included) feel that we are owed a debt of gratitude if we do something nice for someone.:)

El Chuxter
09-07-2001, 05:23 PM
You did the right thing. Unless any of the following were true:

1) Everette had only enough to buy bread for his starving children, but is a cruel man who likes Star Wars. In this case, he would have bought the Interceptor and not have had enough to feed his children, who would therefore either starve or be sold to Bill Gates. In this case, you did those kids wrong.

2) Everette had sold his soul to Satan in order to get that Interceptor. In this case, you did evil.

3) You are unaware that you have multiple personalities and that Everette is one of them. In this case, you were ignorant and missed out on an Interceptor that you yourself reserved.

4) Everette is planning to sell this Interceptor to a friend in Canada for $100. He will do so, enjoy the extra money, and embark on the life of a scalper, buying everything in your area and selling it online at a 200% markup. In this case, you hurt yourself and all other collectors in your area.

5) Everette is actually GNT. In this case, you were an idiot, because you passed it up only so that it could be bought by someone in Australia--and we all know everything's a pegwarmer down under! (J/K, GNT ;))

Mandalorian Candidat
09-07-2001, 06:01 PM
WOW! An SSG player doing the considerate thing. That must be a first! If it had been me and I had left the TIE behind, evertte would have been a major scalper. But that's just my luck.

I commend you on your character.

Sean the Hutt
09-07-2001, 07:45 PM
You did the right thing. It not only would have ruined that guys day, but some one might have lost there job as well! Cause and effect, Action reaction.. Basic laws of physics always apply. You will get a tie, don't worry. You bot a B wing right? Your TRU must have at least one helpful employee. Mine does, and he is holding me one this weekend hopefully. That could have been my interceptor! karma peace out

GNT
09-08-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
5) Everette is actually GNT. In this case, you were an idiot, because you passed it up only so that it could be bought by someone in Australia--and we all know everything's a pegwarmer down under! (J/K, GNT ;))

Very true,everything is a PEGWARMER here!

Emperor Howdy
09-08-2001, 12:24 AM
El Chuxter...that was funny as h*ll!! :D :D :D :D :D

evenflow
09-08-2001, 09:37 AM
I would have bought it. Thats life I guess. It's happened to me before so, basically to bad for them. What goes around comes around.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2001, 11:27 AM
El Chuxter is right on! Especially about #s 1 and 4, plus 2, 3 , and 5. :p I hope that I won't see a "Not Without My TIE Interecptor" movie poster anytime soon! (Some of you veteran SSGers might recall that debate)

Darth Cruel basically said what I would. I'd add this sad commentary: why did you feel the need to ask if you did the right thing? Something that belongs to someone else (disregarding the TRU policy JediTricks noted) is just that: not yours. I feel you "did the right thing," but I personally think it's a moot point as to whether there was a "decent" or "idiot" side to this issue.

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 04:54 PM
Well, it's not like you helped feed a starving family or stopped a crime, so I wouldn't say it was the decent thing to do.

However, buying something that was clearly marked for someone else would've been petty but not "wrong" per se.

Anyways, why all this worrying? It's just a TIE Interceptor toy, nothing important in the grand scheme of things. Although if we were talking about the TIE Bomber, then I wouldn't call you an idiot just a complete utter moron!!!! :D :D :D

2-1B
09-08-2001, 07:49 PM
I COMPLETELY agree with JediTricks. During my first year of college, I worked at a TRU. We often held items for customers, because there was no layaway policy. Long before I left there, they did indeed switch to a "no holds" policy. Pulling off the hold tag would have been deceitful, but addressing an employee about the item would have been civil and fair.

I have to disagree with Darth Cruel's suggestion that doing so would be "stealing" from Everette. It is the property of TRU. This fits in with what Bel-Cam Jos said about the toy not belonging to INDIANA. Well, it certainly did not belong to Everett either. It's TRU's property, and since they have a policy regarding their wares, compliance with it should be expected.

After saying all of that, I commend you for leaving it there. It would not have been wrong for you to acquire it, but in the instance that Everette did come back for it --- you did him a favor. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2001, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't say you committed a saintly act. A saintly
act would be if you saw the last Interceptor on the shelf
and you grabbed it, but on your way to pay for it, poor
little Timmy started crying because he just missed out.
So, being a basically good person, you hand the toy
over to little Timmy who is overjoyed.

But you resisted the temptation of easily throwing away
that hold sign, and grabbing it, and you should be
commended for that. There are scalpers I know (no,
not personally) who probably would have robbed that
Interceptor from the shopping cart of an elderly woman
(if they bought toys) while her back was turned, or
snatched it away from a little kid. :eek: You didn't stoop
to their level, so kudos to you :)

El Chuxter
09-10-2001, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I hope that I won't see a "Not Without My TIE Interecptor" movie poster anytime soon!

BCJ(formerly 3), you can't throw out something that sounds that interesting without elaborating. As Ricky Ricardo would say, "You got some 'splaining to do!" :D

JediCole
09-17-2001, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Cool Han Luke
Why don't you call and have them hold one for you? I'm sure if it worked for ole Everette it will work for you. Just give them the SKN# 239316 and find out when there next shipment is.Once you find out the date you can call and have them hold one. It worked for me.

The Force must be with you. The weak-minded fools that staff the TRUs in my area hold nothing for no one. Don't even ask. But that is always the case with TRU. There are no set policies in place, or if there are, most of their employees do not know them. One store may hold something for you while another will staunchly refuse to hold anything. The rationale of the manager at one store when Sith Worm tried to get something held for me was, "Someone may want to buy it". He had zero luck warming the manager up to the idea that someone DID want to buy it, he just couldn't be there at that exact moment. I was able to find what I came for a few hours later despite the idiot manager, but I don't know why my money was considered any less green for my delay in arriving to spend it than anyone elses.

As for doing the right thing, you did. The old, "What if that was held for me and someone else took it anyway" axium holds very true. Much to my surprise, many years ago, Bubba Fatt managed a Jedi mind trick that resulted in a TRU holding two 12" Han/TaunTaun sets for us, the reason I have one to this day.

Lobito
09-17-2001, 05:25 PM
DECENT GUY!!! Way to go bro.:cool:

master jedi
09-17-2001, 06:09 PM
I was in TRU today and saw 2 TIEs sitting on the shelf but didn't get 'em 'cause I didn't have enough money.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2001, 07:15 PM
Are you serious, El C? I thought you'd remember "Not Without My Jar-Jar" from the old Old Forums. Or are you saying I should educate our fellow Forumites?

Hmm...

El Chuxter
09-17-2001, 07:20 PM
Eh, BCJ, it's not ringing a bell. I'll probably recognize it as soon as you enlighten everyone else, though. You know how that goes. :D

(Kindly refrain from senility/Sio Bibble icon jokes, please.)