PDA

View Full Version : Vader knocks the gun down

Huckleberry Josh
09-06-2001, 03:54 PM
Does anybody know why Darth Vader stops Boba Fett from shooting Chewie at Cloud City ? I mean , all Vader wanted was Luke . Shooting Chewie wouldn't have stopped that . I just want to know why he knocked the gun down and prevented Chewie from being shot . Well?

bigbarada
09-06-2001, 04:40 PM
Thanks to Ep1, many think it's because Threepio was on his back. However, given how common protocol droids are in SW, I highly doubt it. Besides the idea of Anakin building Threepio wasn't known until Ep1 so a different motivation must have been conceived while making ESB.

I've always thought that Vader just wanted to see Chewie and Leia suffer at the sight of Han being frozen. Only someone consumed by evil would delight at someone elses suffering. Or maybe he had other plans for them once he took them off of Bespin.

Darth Cruel
09-06-2001, 05:17 PM
This is another one of many scenes that are left up to our own interpretation. And I'm in 100% agreement with bigbarada with my own interpretation.

MisterPL
09-06-2001, 08:12 PM
Vader's new respirator wasn't quite up to speed at the time of TESB. That's why he had to spend time in the Meditation Chamber on the Executor.

Anyway, everyone knows how allergic Sith Lords are to Wookiee fur. Had Fett blasted Chewie, the flying fur would've asphixiated Vader in moments. It was much better to leave Chewie's carcass intact, yet still a comfortable distance from the Dark Lord.

Now you know why Vader never spent any other screen time with the Wookiee. Even his daughter remarked at how foul it was to be in the "big walking carpet's" presence. She probably suffers from the same allergies.

2-1B
09-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Later on, Vader tells Lando he's taking the princess and Wookiee with him, so he must plan on using them in the future.

JediTricks
09-07-2001, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Later on, Vader tells Lando he's taking the princess and Wookiee with him, so he must plan on using them in the future. Exactly! This is exactly what it is dangit! These people aren't just bait to be used to capture Luke, they're also Rebel Alliance heroes and high-ranking officials that have information that may prove very useful to the Empire even after Luke is dead or converted, they can be held for ransom, they can even be brainwashed and used as morale-killers against the rebellion.

Obi-Don
09-07-2001, 08:33 AM
I have to go with JT on this one.It makes more sense to use the others as examples to bring down the morale, or he needed a new rug for chamber"sorry chewie":D

2-1B
09-07-2001, 07:09 PM
This specific instance really says alot about Vader and Lando. Vader has the whole scheme planned, and he clearly knows in advance that he is taking Leia and Chewie.

But when arriving on Bespin, Vader manipulates Lando instead of just taking over. Vader lets this gambler think that he has bargaining power, when in fact Vader holds every card.

I just love it because it shows Vader as a "thinking man's" villain, and not just some brute. And it does so much for the Calrissian character too.

Obi-Don
09-08-2001, 03:45 AM
Thats why I think that Vader RULES!He can do so much without having to lift a [finger];)

JediTricks
09-08-2001, 08:08 AM
Right on Caesar!

2-1B
09-08-2001, 07:13 PM
I have to raise an issue from the RotJ novelization. Now, it's been several years since I last read it, so bear with me.

I remember a segment where Lando's thoughts are spelled out on the page, his thoughts about why he's trying to rescue Han. Sure, he seeks to do the right thing. That comes out clearly in the films. But there's more to it. He has a personal grudge against the Empire that has little to do with the Rebellion. He's just ticked that he had a nice operation going, and not only did Vader come in and rob him of it, but he bested Lando at that very game he was supposed to be the best at.

Anyone else remember this from the book?

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 07:39 PM
The actual exerpt from the novel goes like this:

"Lando had managed to infiltrate this nest of maggots months earlier to see if it was possible to free Solo from Jabba's imprisonment. He'd done this for several reasons.

"First, because he felt (correctly) that it was his fault Han was in this predicament, and he wanted to make amends--provided, of course, he could do so without getting hurt. Blending in here like just one of the pirates, was no problem for Lando, though--mistaken identity was a way of life with him.

"Second, he wanted to join forces with Han's buddies at the top of the Rebel Alliance. They were out to beat the Empire, and he wanted nothing more in his life now than to do just that. The Imperial police had moved in on his action once too often; so this was a grudge match, now. Besides, Lando liked being part of Solo's crowd, since they seemed to be right up at the business end of all the action against the Empire.

"Third, Princess Leis had asked him to help, and he just never could refuse a princess asking for help. Besides, you never know how she might thank you some day.

"Finally, Lando would have bet anything that Han simply could not be rescued from this place--and Lando just plain couldn't resist a bet."

Whew! There it is, Lando's motivations. Hope this helps out.

2-1B
09-09-2001, 11:10 PM
Very nice - thanks for the update bigbarada!

bigbarada
09-10-2001, 08:31 AM
Not a problem, glad to be of service. I have to practice my typing anyway. My next goal: 10 words a minute!!;)

JediCole
09-10-2001, 12:30 PM
I am glad to see that reason and careful attention to the subtle details of the dialoge and scene structure prevailed in this thread (unlike the "Stormtroopers or Boba Fett" thread). I know of a few people who personally latched on to Anakin's building of C-3PO as a post-facto rationale for Vader's decision to curb Fett's actions. Luke would not be alone in being the "Emperor's prize". Caesar and Jedi Tricks hit the nail on the head in the interpretation of this scene. Not to mention the fact that blasting away in the carbon freeze chamber may not have been entirely adviseable. Rather like flicking your lit cigarettes into the interior superstructure of the Hindenburg.
As far as Vader recognizing 3PO, the fact that 3PO's true origins were unwritten in 1980 and the rather generic look of protocol droids not withstanding, I think Ben Kenobi sums Vader up best when he explains to Luke that Vader and Anakin are essentially two different people (the "point of view" angle). One can extrapolate from that point rather easily to discover why Vader, tracking his Rebel quarry (the Tantive IV) to the orbit of Tatooine seems decidedly indifferent. It would also explain why it is only when Vader is in intimate proximity to Luke (Empire) that he is able to make the connection of his paternity (pater Vader?), where he had previously only been able to detect a strong presence of the Force in Luke. Of course it's hard enought to detect anything barreling a gazillion miles per hour up the Death Star trench.

Lobito
09-18-2001, 08:01 PM
I read what JT posted in the first page and i also think thats it, the 3PO/Vader connection just doesnt fit.