PDA

View Full Version : Droid Memory Issues

Freedom
04-28-2002, 12:01 PM
In ANH we all know Obi-Wan says everything from a certain point of view. Not necessarilly lying and not necesarrilly telling the truth.

In PM we all saw Obi-Wan around R2 and now some of us know he's around R2 in AOTC.
We all figure he was probably pretending not to recognizie him in ANH until he new what was going on. We all heard him claim to have never owned a droid before. Does the Astromech in his Jedi Starfighter not count?

We now see in AOTC that Threepio now belongs to the Lars family, and R2 shows up w/ Anikin and Padme. Uncle Owen sure didn't recognize them when he bought them from the Jawas in ANH.

I understand there's many Protocol and Astro droids out there, and Threepio looks a lot different, but you would think Owen would remember someone like Threepio. Maybe he did. That's why he insisted Luke take them to Anchorhead and have their memory erased.

We all figure the droids didn't recognize anybody because of memory erases.

Pendo
04-28-2002, 12:06 PM
When Owen owned 3PO in AOTC he didn't have his gold coverings on so probably wouldn't recognise him in ANH. Owen doesn't ask for the droids' names when he buys them so he would have nothing to remember. He only realises who they are when Luke says that R2 was searching for Obi-Wan Kenobi, and tells him to erase their memories.

PENDO!

LTBasker
04-28-2002, 02:28 PM
Well so far the protocol droids seem to have unique vocals so quite possibly Owen would've recognized that but maybe he was never really around 3PO, maybe he figured he had gotten his memory wiped by then if it even was C-3PO. As for R2...well he could've just been another astromech painted the same colors.

As for Obi-Wan, well his Jedi Starfighter droid wasn't really his droid as it was built-in into the Jedi SF and the Starfighter wasn't even a Jedi one since it was a modified Delta-7 Republic Starfighter.

RooJay
04-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Well so far the protocol droids seem to have unique vocals so quite possibly Owen would've recognized that but maybe he was never really around 3PO
All of the OT protocol droids (minus the insect headed "Death Star" droids) that we hear talk used Anthony Daniels' voice. I really don't think that the manufacturers of protocol droids would give each one a distinct voice. Also, since we're all fairly certain that Astromech droids are churned out by the thousands (at least!) in factories in the Star Wars universe I think we can also assume that Artoo shares his deco with perhaps hundreds, maybe even thousands of his same make.

jawaboy
04-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Pendo, I think Threepio does introduce himself to Owen, doesn't he?

Jargo
05-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Yeah, R2 doesn't have unique colouration. Many of the astro droids have blue markings in the OT, even R5-D4 had blue on him. You'd only know a droid if you knew the number code or were really aquainted with it and knew all the personality quirks that an owner of a droid might notice. Kinda like how you know all your PC's quirks better than anyone.

Threepio wouldn't be recognised after twenty odd years when they probably go through droids like toilet paper in that hostile environment and use them only as tools not as companions like Luke does. But even Luke doesn't seem too fond of Threepio the way he's fond of Artoo. Luke and Artoo seen to have a really good bond but Threepio seems kinda marginalised. Sort of like he's just there to translate for Artoo, like he's Artoo's b*tch or somethin'. :D

Owen probably couldn't give a rats patooey for droids, more trouble than they're worth.

DarthChuckMc
05-01-2002, 09:28 PM
From what I've read in the novel, Cliegg Lars isn't too fond of 3PO anyway. Maybe Owen shares the same idea that droids are here for one reason and one reason alone........to go disco dancing ;)

Dak Powers
05-01-2002, 11:06 PM
RooJay-- C-3P0 and TC-14's voice are very distinctively different. Same with the "ejunta" (sp? lol) droid in ESB (is that the same droid they released in the POTJ line? I want it!)

In the EU, all of the protocol droids I can think of (M-3P0, or Emtrey, from the X-Wing series, in particular) have what we would call a British proper accent. How it sounds is up to your imagination, I guess, but that's a different story.

RooJay
05-02-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Dak Powers
RooJay-- C-3P0 and TC-14's voice are very distinctively different.
Uhh...I did say the OT (original trilogy) protocol droids!

Same with the "ejunta" (sp? lol) droid in ESB (is that the same droid they released in the POTJ line? I want it!)
...and YES, even though he spoke in another language, that droid's voice WAS Anthony Daniels also.

Besides, how often have you known manufacturers to give each individual car horn, or smoke detector of the same model a distinct sound? Droids are tools in the Star Wars universe much like cars and other objects are in the real one. It just doesn't make good business sense to bother with something like that (even in the Star Wars universe!). Although, I think it is within reason to assume that a droid's owners might make specific requests for their droids to sound a certain way, or might even reprogram it's voice themselves (which would explain TC-14). Perhaps even, the manufacturers may produce droids with a SMALL range of different voices, but that still wouldn't mean 3PO's voice is very distinct from others of his make, model, and color.

Jargo
05-02-2002, 08:03 AM
TC-14 was a female droid. The Neimoidians must have selected or opted for the softer sounding voice. It was voiced by Lindsey Duncan a fine british actres and foxy to boot :) But I can see the droids having a few voices that you can interchange much like PC's using Windows have the option to change the sounds used by the system. Like someone said though, would you recognise a power tool you own now in twenty years time? You might recognise that you used to own a similar power tool of the same model but I doubt you could actually verify that the particular power tool was the one you actually did own. Besides which, Owen is a grumpy old get in the OT. He possibly still grieves for his dead father and stepMother so doesn't pay any particular attention to the everyday happenings or items. He doesn't even seem to pay much attention to Beru and treats Luke like a farmhand. I wouldn't exactly call Owen the observant type. It's more likely that Beru would recognise Threepio though. Women's intuition and all that gubbins....

Dak Powers
05-02-2002, 10:51 AM
Aye, I agree. Roo, I know you said OT, but I was just saying something about it. And Jargo, I've never heard of a female droid before :)

Also: Protocol droids come with vocabulators that can produce sounds and vocabulary anywhere in the decibel range. They don't particularly have to speak Basic, and with their knowledge of millions of languages, you would think that they can alter their voices to replicate accents and what not. This also brings in the possibility that droids can change their voices on their own "free will". I'm not even sure where this post is going, I just thought I might introduce a possibility.

RooJay
05-02-2002, 04:01 PM
I'll admit, Dak, that it's very much a possibility. It'd even go along way in explaining why TC-14 sounds so different from your average run of the mill protocol droid, which we know 3PO sounds like as evidenced by Owens obvious failure to recognize him!;)
As for TC-14 being female, I never considered that so much as it just having an obviously more soothing and palcating voice (which we all know would probably be very important to the Neimoidians for many obvious reasons) than many of the others of it's make and model. Since it's been said that male and female Neimoidians are almost indistinguishable from each other, it stands to reason that they would see nothing wrong with giving an obviously male looking droid a female voice, which you HAVE to admit was pretty damned disturbing to those of us who know the difference!:crazed:

corporal AMF
05-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Anyone knows how to explain when c3po tells the stories opf his friends to teh ewoks, how he could imitate vader's breathing and the sounds of an X-wing and TIE fighters?
:confused:

Beast
05-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by corporal AMF
Anyone knows how to explain when c3po tells the stories opf his friends to teh ewoks, how he could imitate vader's breathing and the sounds of an X-wing and TIE fighters? :confused:
Think of C-3PO as a walking/talking tape recorder. Anything he has ever seen or heard is stored away in his memory banks. So, all he has to do is replay them or mimic them, any time he wants. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-02-2002, 11:31 PM
Kinda like Data when he foiled Q's plan. :crazed:

Jargo
05-03-2002, 07:57 AM
C-3PO never encounters Darth Vader in person so how can he know what to mimmick? Think about it, he's out the way trying to find R2 and getting into the escape pod while Vader is entering the Tantive IV so 3PO never actually meets him in the OT. Of course he may meet him in EPIII but I highly doubt it. So how can 3PO mimmick what he has no experience of?

RooJay
05-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Maybe he saw some Imperial propoganda Holovids or something...I don't know!:rolleyes: :D

Beast
05-03-2002, 06:35 PM
He is in the same room as Vader, when he's strung on Chewbacca's back in ESB in the Cloud City Carbon Freezing Chamber. Plus Vader is the Emporer's right hand man, so he's most likely as Roojay said, been in Imperial Propoganda Holovids. Of course EU says that Vader and C-3PO has crossed paths before, back on Alderaan. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
05-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Well now there you have it!:happy:

Jargo
05-03-2002, 08:03 PM
Forgot about the carbon freeze chamber. Hmmmm... EU? don't profane boy or you're gonna find yourself floating home....

mark2d2
05-05-2002, 03:16 AM
Again, remember that when ANH opens, The Princess and Darth Vader have clearly run into each other many times as implied by the line "Darth Vader! Only you could be so Bold!" So, it stands to reason that Threepio has probably been around him before. And yeah, the Carbon Freezing scene has Vader uttering some very memorable lines of dialogue.

jedihunter25
05-16-2002, 03:47 PM
ATOC is a great movie. I love everything about it. But there is one thing that bothers me. C3PO and the Lars homestead. I'm sure at the end of Ep.3 the droids get their memory erased, but not Owen and Beru. It sounds like C3PO lived with them for a few years. 23 years later in ANH, jawas sell him back to Owen with the same name/number. Wouldn't Owen and Beru reconize him? That's the only thing that just doesn't adds up.

Fulit
05-16-2002, 03:50 PM
Maybe after so many years of rough living on Tatooine, plus dealing with whiny Luke, they just don't give a crap.

Masterjedi73
05-16-2002, 11:13 PM
1. why is it that nobody is going to remember anyone in ep four? lars doesn"t remember the droids< obi doesn"t remember artoo< threepio doesn"t recognize the skywalker name etc

do the colors of the lightsabers represent anything (it sounds like a dumb question< but i just don"t know the answer!)

aotc kicked ***

much better than tpm

mtfbwy

QLD
05-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Well, as far as the droids.....you can always say that somewhere along the line their memory could be wiped before ANH.

As far as the Lars?....umm....well, they are droids......I think 20 something years later I won't remember who I went to high school with, hell, I hardly do 10 years later.

Dark Knight
05-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Masterjedi73

aotc kicked ***

much better than tpm

mtfbwy

So true!!!

:evil: :D :evil:

Eternal Padawan
05-16-2002, 11:24 PM
Protocol droids and astromech droids are common in the SW galaxy. Can you remember a toaster you owned twenty years ago? And Threepio is a different color between AOTC and ANH.

The saber colors a re a visual motif Goerge likes. the good guys get blue and green and the bad guys get red. "That's just the way it is." And Mace gets purple... :D

Lman316
05-19-2002, 07:26 PM
This was my only real problem with the film (besides the fact that Lucas said stuff would be explained in this one (like why Qui didn't disappear) and nothing really was - but I guess he's waiting for EP3 - and that's okay with me :D). It was the fact that 3PO and Owen had met in AOTC, but in ANH, they didn't know each other.
My brother pointed this out to me. He said, "Why wouldn't 3PO remember Owen in ANH?" and I said that 3PO might get him memory wiped or something like that (if he does, PLEASE no body tell me. This is Episode two we're talking about, not Episode three). But as I thought about it, it hit me that Owen SHOULD remember who 3PO is, even after 22 years.
So, what does everyone else think? Did Owen just forget 3PO after all those years, maybe going a little senile in his old age? Or is this just a BIG flaw, in your opinion?