PDA

View Full Version : The Swamp level in JK2

DeadEye
04-28-2002, 08:04 PM
I wonder what's the deal with this thing. Anyone who's played it at full detail knows it's amazing (raindrops evaporating on your lightsaber; foliage swaying in multiple directions at once; volumetric vog above the detailed swamp water) and that it also bogs down the computer.

As I've said before, I have an extremely fast computer and yet the level ran like crap. But today I played it again and did NOTHING different (I had no other applications running, just like before; I was at the same resolution and detail level as before) but the level ran so smoothly!

QLD
04-28-2002, 09:13 PM
It may be the video card. Mine ran perfectly. ALthough I have a 2.2 ghx processor, 512 megs of ram, and a 64 mb GeForce 2

DeadEye
04-29-2002, 03:16 PM
I have a GeForce 3.

LTBasker
04-29-2002, 05:28 PM
It was probably since it wasn't the first time around you played the level I guess.

DeadEye
04-29-2002, 09:00 PM
I doubt it. I've played the level multiple times, and done nothing different.

Jason B
04-29-2002, 09:03 PM
was this just after you rebooted? did you have less aps running? did you defragg recently? there's a whole bunch of possible explainations.

LTBasker
04-29-2002, 09:56 PM
Very true, especially if maybe ScanDisk ran and fixed some errors that you may have had on your computer without knowing.

Wolfwood319
04-29-2002, 11:20 PM
I have similar problems in that sometimes I'll play a level and it'll run smooth, other times it gets somehwhat jumpy. When that happens, I just lower all the video settings to medium, instead of high.

I run it on a 1.5 pentium, 256 RAM, and a 128 Radeon off of XP. I know that sometimes XP runs certain application programs at times, and it eats up processing power. Go to the processes in Task Manager before you play and close everything not essential, just prior to playing the game.

It really could be a number of things at any moment. Computers are an exact science, but a complicated one too.

DeadEye
04-30-2002, 03:21 PM
I always reboot before playing and have other apps off. I told you, I did NOTHING different. And it wasn't only the second time I had played the level.

Jason B
04-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I always reboot before playing and have other apps off.

smart thing to do. reboot before and after playing. run msconfig every once in a while (not on 2000 or XP :mad: ) and take out stuff from startup that you don't need, defragg weekly, run scandisk weekly, clean out the temp files, keep the temporary internet files cleaned out (if you're on broadband, keep them off, or set it to like 20 megs or lower), delete cookies, set the power profiles to always on, it's suprising how many problems they cause, and on and on and on. :)