PDA

View Full Version : Why the Old Republic Fails

humsup
04-28-2002, 09:52 PM
I saw Jar Jar as a Senator in one of those new releases SAGA Carded 3.75" figures. Actually taken aback. HOW THE HELL A JOKER LIKE JAR JAR BECOMES A SENATOR???
It leads me to think of the bigger scheme of things in George's mind. The old Republic is doom to collapse due to the quality of its Senate. Its Palpatine who finally usurp everything and pronounce himself the title of "Emperor". He succeed because of dumb senate exist like Jar Jar.
I also heard that Jar Jar doesn't speaks in bantha now but sounds more serious and collected in EPII. Was George's effort to better JJB's image but that makes it an even bigger joke.
You say there's a purpose for every one (or Gungans) in this galaxy, to me, JJB's best be a clown and get the hell out of my sight in EPII.
Rest my case :o

Lord Tenebrous
04-28-2002, 11:13 PM
It's not the quality of the Senate, it's actually filled with sharp individuals. But Palpatine always manages to stay one step ahead. It's the urgency of war that gets the Loyalist committee on the issue of emergency powers, and Jar Jar is forced to act in Padme Amidala's absence.

Jar Jar isn't stupid, he was just immature in TPM - a very ideal model of a teenager moving into his early adult years. His motion in the Senate is quite spectacular, actually. He's moved from a social outcast to somewhat of a hero.

Unfortunately, his declaration that Palpatine's power will be returned to the Senate after the war...that will not come to pass.

Hopefully the fanbase will be mature enough to realize this arc, and it will not be wasted by baseless insult. Jar Jar is important to the prequels, and that is something you will all have to accept.

Beast
04-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Lord Tenebrous is correct, Jar Jar is hardly stupid. He was a clumsy akward teenager in Episode 1, just like Lord Tenebrous said. Even if it was acidental at times, he was a very intrigual part of the story. Without his actions, E1 would have played out vastly differently.

But never mind that, it's been 10 years since the events of E1 and he's grown and matured. Infact here is the scene that Lord Tenebrous was talking about, where he delivers his speech to the senate. I think he does a pretty good job. Plus his actions in E3 should ensure he gets more fan respect. :)

Inside the great rotunda of the Galactic Senate, the uproar of the senate is deafening. Opposing Senators yell furiously at one another.

“Order! Order!!“ cries Mas Amedda over the noise. The squablling slowly dies down.

“In the regrettable absence of Senator Amidala,” begins Palpatine, “the chair recognizes the Senior Representative of Naboo, Jar Jar Binks.”

Amid a conflicting storm of cheers and boos, Jar Jar, with two Gungan aides, floats his pod to the middle of the vast space. He looks at Palpatine nervously. Palpatine nods. Jar Jar clears his throat.

“Senators, dellow felogates...” says Jar Jar. Laughter and jeers fill the Senate. Jar Jar blushes.

“Order!” cries Mas Amedda. “The Senate will accord the Representative the courtesy of a hearing.”

The rotunda goes comparatively quiet. Jar Jar grips the edge of his podium.

“In response to the direct threat to the Republic from the Confederacy of Independent Systems,” states Jar Jar, “I propose that the Senate give immediate emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor.”

Uproar again fills the senate.

“Who can deny these are exceptional times?” says Jar Jar, “Exceptional times demand exceptional measures! Exceptional measures demand exceptional men!”

The pod for Ryloth swings into the centre.

“We won’t support a dictator!” states Senator Orn Free Taa amid shouts of agreement.

“That is a sentiment every one of us agrees with!” reminds Jar Jar to the Senator. “And when the shadow of war has dispersed and the bright day of liberty has dawned again, the power we now give to the Supreme Chancellor will be gladly, and swiftly returned.” The Senate goes quiet. “Our ancient liberties will be restored to us, burnished even more brightly than before!”

There is a rolling wave of applause. Jar Jar beams and bows. Palpatine rises.

“It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling,” declares Palpatine, “ I love democracy… I love the Republic. The fact that this crisis is demanding I be given absolute power to rule over you is evident. But I am mild by nature and have no desire to destroy the democratic process. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated, I promise you. And all I ask in return is when my current term of office is over, you allow me to retire and live out my life in peace.”

“We shall proceed to the vote,” says Mas Amedda. “All those in favor of granting emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor, signal aye at this time… those opposed?"

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

humsup
04-29-2002, 12:26 AM
I should now say its George's whose indecisiveness caused chain reactions. To me, and I believe lots of other fans, who watch EPI has somehow cemented JJB's image in our minds. A clumsy, noisy outcast. Now, he wants to make JJB a Senator who speaks wise, serious, and a brainer. Just cannot imagine that.
Maybe I really have to catch the movie before I can further comments whether George has done a good job to alter my mindset of Jar Jar Binks....
Hang on there.... another 17 days to go :D

mark2d2
04-29-2002, 04:50 AM
I'm sorry. But I steadfastly continue to hold the opinion that JarJar is stupid. End of Story. I'm around plenty of teenagers and none of them are THAT dumb. Or THAT annoying for that matter. JarJar is just flat out the most irritatingly annoying character ever created in the Star Wars Universe.