PDA

View Full Version : ESB Emperror Hologram

master jedi
09-06-2001, 11:10 PM
How many of you think the the hologram of the Emperror in ESB should be redone with Ian McDiarmid instead of leaving it with that elderly lady doing the face and that Clive guy doing the voice?

In my opinion I think it should be redone.

bigbarada
09-07-2001, 12:27 AM
Yeah, it'll seem out of place since Ian McDiarmond will be doing all three prequels.

Of course, I've already stated my position on having untouched versions of the movies available on DVD separately from any new Special Edition DVD's.

Fulit
09-07-2001, 12:44 AM
I agree, I would like it much better with McDiarmid.

2-1B
09-07-2001, 01:35 AM
In my opinion this should have been done for the Special Edition in '97 !

GNT
09-07-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
I agree, I would like it much better with McDiarmid.

Couldn't agree with you more :)

JediTricks
09-07-2001, 06:15 AM
I think Clive Revill did a fine job diong the voice of the emp in ESB, and this is certainly not a slam against his work, but it really doesn't fit with the rest of the movies and should be replaced, and now is the time to do it since Ian McDiarmid is still around and able to do it.

Obi-Don
09-07-2001, 09:27 AM
I agree, it just doesn't seem to fit. Mcdiarmid as far as I'm concerned is the Emperor.

JEDIpartner
09-07-2001, 10:45 AM
I am SO with you guys on this one... I think I may have said the same thing in the "What should they do for the 'Archival Editions' DVD".

Ian does such a great job playing that hissing Emperor in ROTJ that he totally steals the show a couple of times. The Emperor played by Clive is so understated (good, but very different) in comparison. I think that, for continuity's sake, they should definitely "fix" the scene.

Fulit
09-07-2001, 11:58 AM
Also, beside the actor issue, the Emperor Holo in ESB looks like someone boxed him in both eyes. It doesn't look right what they tried to do with the special effects. Wasn't this because they put some animal's eyes over Revill's to achieve that effect? I think I remember reading that somewhere, but I could be crazy. At any rate, the whole thing should be redone. I'm currently working on a plan to kidnap and clone GL and McCallum, stash the originals somewhere, and re-educate the clones. Something like that. I'll let you know how it turns out. Ok, I've had way too much caffeine today.

Starfig873
09-07-2001, 12:21 PM
Alright so we all agree? First an untouched edition of the classic trilogy, and a super special edition. Sounds good to me.

But that would be cool. ;)

El Chuxter
09-07-2001, 12:33 PM
Also, beside the actor issue, the Emperor Holo in ESB looks like someone boxed him in both eyes. It doesn't look right what they tried to do with the special effects. Wasn't this because they put some animal's eyes over Revill's to achieve that effect?

Actually, it was upside-down chimpanzee eyes superimposed over the face of an elderly woman, with Clive providing the voice.

GNT
09-08-2001, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Actually, it was upside-down chimpanzee eyes superimposed over the face of an elderly woman, with Clive providing the voice.

Its a 3 in 1 special ;)

Maybe George will have it done for the special release #62 version of The Empire Strikes Back :)

evenflow
09-08-2001, 10:32 AM
I think he should redo it.

MisterPL
09-08-2001, 12:53 PM
That wasn't the Emperor. It was Tarkin's ghost. The Emperor didn't look anything like that monkey-eyed, old-woman-faced, Clive-voiced abomination.

I'm sure if George had meant it to be the Emperor, he would have changed it in the Special Edition (like he fixed the Greedo scene; that always bugged me that Greedo never shot first).

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 03:30 PM
MisterPL, you're supposed to say something like, "insert sarcasm here" or "j/k" after a remark like that. You are joking aren't you?:confused:

Starfig873
09-08-2001, 04:05 PM
Tarkin's ghost? Urrr.....methinks not.... :confused:

Its a hologram. The movie clearly states its the Emperor....

2-1B
09-08-2001, 07:55 PM
"I'm picking up your sarcasm."

"Well I should hope so, because I'm laying it on pretty thick."

MisterPL
09-08-2001, 08:34 PM
Thank you, Caesar.

Actually, it would be cheaper to overdub the soundtrack to rename the character "Darth Tarkin" than go back and shoot new footage with updated effects. That would also fall in line with George's dedication to ****ing off fans of the Original Trilogy.

And it'd be great if Vader slipped on a bantha dropping before Luke cuts off his hand in ROTJ. That way it could've been an accident and Luke wouldn't look so sinister.

Starfig873
09-08-2001, 09:33 PM
:D

But...what about his whiny contorted face when he says

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thats an image that will stick in your mind forever! ;)

Jargo
09-08-2001, 10:38 PM
Ah well, that's the fave of a man in the throes of a bout of dysentry. having eaten that awful food at Yoda's place he obviously got a delayed action thing happening. Then he goes and gets all active with his dad and that starts his stomach rumbling and the pain kicks in right about the time he slips and falls out of that round window. So he's just got a ****y tummy.....
When he screams what he really says is "I've really got to go NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! :)

Fulit
09-08-2001, 10:41 PM
Funny thing about that scene, do you ever put the VCR on "slow" and watch his face slowly contort? Man, it's awful.

GNT
09-08-2001, 11:45 PM
Funny thing about that scene, do you ever put the VCR on "slow" and watch his face slowly contort? Man, it's awful.

I bet it is quite awful!Thankgod nobody ever slows down the scene :)

Starfig873
09-09-2001, 08:10 AM
LOL! I think I'll try that....*turns on VCR*.....:eek: :eek: :eek:

GNT
09-11-2001, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Starfig873
LOL! I think I'll try that....*turns on VCR*.....:eek: :eek: :eek:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

master jedi
09-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GNT

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

JEDIpartner
09-13-2001, 02:06 PM
I personally thought the conversation went like this...

Darth Vader: "No, Luke. I am you father"

Luke: "D'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

I think that would explain that nasty look he has on his face.

master jedi
09-13-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I think that would explain that nasty look he has on his face.

Every time I watch that scene I always think somebody should've given him better acting lessons.

GNT
09-14-2001, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by master jedi

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Every time I watch that scene I always think somebody should've given him better acting lessons.

Yeah he doesn't convince me!

Lobito
09-18-2001, 04:03 PM
Yep i also vote for the Emperor Hologram to be redone in ESB. Unfortunately i think they wont change it.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I heard Hasbro's new SDCC exclusive is the old lady with orangutan eyes version.