PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor owners, your opinions?

JediTricks
04-29-2002, 02:40 AM
My eyes are starting to really get tired and strained from using this CRT monitor all day, and I know a lot of folks who are the same way. I'm considering getting an LCD monitor instead, but it seems like they're pretty much all the same except for sizes and range of view. Is there anything I should look out for? Are the cheaper ones any worse than the more expensive ones? Do you get eye strain with your LCD monitor?

Thanks for the help!

derek
04-29-2002, 08:03 AM
what's an LCD monitor?

chewie
04-29-2002, 02:41 PM
The only lcd I have is on my laptop, but I'm assuming its the same as any desktop based lcd. A 15 inch 1600x1200 native resolution one.

I don't find it any different than using a crt based monitor really. Text is much nicer/cleaner/sharper on the lcd than crt, but thats about it. I don't like lcds for movies or anything animated however. They've gotten better over the years, and my lcd is really nice, but animation/video still leaves blurry trails when objects move. To me, that is more disconcerting to my eyes than the clarity of text.

If all you do is read web pages, or don't care about how video looks on screen, go ahead and get an lcd. Anything 1024x768 native res or above should be good for you. And like you assumed not all lcds are created equally. Cheaper often times does mean less quality. IMO, the only way to see how good an lcd is, is to go to a store like Circuit City, Best Buy, or Staples and see some models up and running.

Jason B
04-29-2002, 03:21 PM
i wish i had one, does that count? ;)

SWAFMAN
04-29-2002, 03:59 PM
is that "1600x1200 native resolution" on LCD screens why, even if I set the video adapter's resolution to 800x600 on my parent's PC, my web page still looks like the resolution is set higher?

This has been bugging me a lot, since everything I've read about web page design and everything I've checked via my own PCs, says my web page should look perfect on their system. But the background image repeats to the right side and across the bottom, and some of the java push buttons and text hyperlinks wrap down to the left side of the next line when I view the page on their system, but not on any other PCs I've checked.

QLD
04-29-2002, 04:12 PM
I have a Philips 15" LCD Monitor. I am very pleased with it. Though as far as eye strain it will only help minimally. But, they are definately monitors and everything looks much better on it to me.

187-Maul
04-29-2002, 07:22 PM
sorry to interrupt, but is an LCD monitor like a plasma screen, that when you touch it gets a different color at that spot? if so, I'm looking at one right now...and it's pretty normal like any other screen IMO

derek
04-29-2002, 08:07 PM
in that case, i guess i have an LCD monitor. it's a flat screen sony. i really like it. it takes up no space and has great resolution. and i never get eye strain, and i surf the net and play games all night long, all night, yea, all night long. everyone you meet is dancing in the street all night long.

JediTricks
04-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the responses.