PDA

View Full Version : The Dooku Variation Possibility!

Thrawn
04-29-2002, 03:14 AM
If you haven't seen the story here it is:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=197

So what do you think? I hate to say it if this is a big change. I just don't want people to pay big bucks in case it turns out to be a fluke...which it could very well be.

The good thing is that they are so small and it is hard to tell, so maybe people won't care or be able to tell which is which.

I knew I was damned if I do, damned if I don't .So I'll let you be the judge.

LTBasker
04-29-2002, 03:54 AM
If you look at the "eye" detail, the 2nd version is still looking forward so it appears the edge on the original version was just pushed downwards so quite possibly it could just be a mold defect.

JediTricks
04-29-2002, 04:20 AM
I think that it could be a difference in the temperature of the plastics when the hologram was shot combined with the hologram fig being loaded into the bubble tray at a slightly different angle than the other. Temperature differences could cause texture differences, drooping, and other changes.

sith pedagog
04-29-2002, 05:54 AM
You guys have a good eye for detail. Thrawn, since you have availibility to both figures look at something else. Look at the neck/ upper collar bone section. It looks like (from the scan) that the figure on the right has an extra "roll" of the cloak hood tucked in there. This could be just the scan or the way the light is reflecting off of the plastic.

jonthejedi
04-29-2002, 06:00 AM
I'd guess mold defect, too! I was lucky enough to score a 12" Obi, Anakin & Clonetrooper at K-Mart a week before the 23rd. I thought the Clonetropper helmet looked funny when I got it. On Tuesday, when all retailers finally put out their stock, I compared them. Oh man, did I do an exchange so fast your head would spin!!!THe original looked almost caved in on the sides where it swoops down like, too much heat or something. It appeared almost like a human head couldn't have fit inside. Definitely a mold defect!

Dryanta
04-29-2002, 09:20 AM
My guess would be a fluke.I got mine 12:05 Tuesday morning and have been studying him for few minutes.He's small and translucent so I makes it hard but mine looks very much like the down version.The "original" forward one may actually be the fluke.See what I mean?I'll be glad when there are more around to able to get more first hand input.I don't hunt variations anyway.

Dryanta
04-29-2002, 09:37 AM
I have to change my mind.I had my wife look at it and she pointed out a couple things.One of which was mentioned here before.She thinks mine's the forward one.The collars are different and the shape and curvature of the sides of his hood are different.I really hate to say it,but I think now they are two different scults.It's really is hard to tell though.
disregaurd this post excecpt for this.upon further examination mine is the down one.The hood curvature is the sameAnd if you stand him up not in your hand,he's looking down.?????????????????????????????????????????
Some one please give me a scan of more angles of this.The slope at the top of his head would have to show something if it's truely different.

Yu_
04-29-2002, 11:09 AM
Itís a mold defect, when looking at the scan, you can see the difference in neck size, the one looking up has a much slimmer neck, and the plastic has congealed around the face, this elevates the head, and you can see in the top scans that the cloak is tapers in closer because of the plastic around the face, instead of the neck. As was stated this is most likely to happen when the figure is set to cool, or if it was one of the last out of a batch before the mold was changed. In all likely hood, it has more to do with the fact that these figures are being made on the cheap, (like the paint problems with the clone trooper) but hey what do you want for $5.99?

Lord Tenebrous
04-29-2002, 11:14 AM
It looks like the head was just angled when the figurine was placed into the bubble holder. The head plastic is soft, and my green lightsabers were both bent, so I think it's just poor packaging.

vdubbin2001
04-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Well guys I am pretty new to this forum but, I compared my two dookus w/ 2 of friends dookus and it looks like we have 1 sidious that definitely looks down, 2 that look forward and 1 that we cant make a decision on. I will post a pic as soon as we can get a decent one.:crazed:

Thunderbird
04-29-2002, 11:04 PM
Hi guys,
I new to this forum but have been collecting for along time now and I'm also a big variation hunter. I pick-up two Dookus on the 23, and have a loose one. The holo Sidious is very flexable and it could just be the way it's placed in the package. I can bend the head to look like both scans. I guess time will tell.

mikw
04-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Whats going on with the change in the sleeve detail......?

potf2x
04-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Here's a side view comparison scan......for anyone thta's interested.;)

http://www2.stonemedia.com/~e_lynch/holo-comp1.jpg

mikw
04-29-2002, 11:25 PM
Nice photo work.... Theres a definite difference there, I only have one so I don't have anything to compare to, except the photos.

POTF2dotcom
04-29-2002, 11:45 PM
The looking down version is probably an error... or they will need a new form-fitting bubble.

--Aaron

BanthaPoodoo
04-29-2002, 11:56 PM
I have 5 Dooku's & looking at the ones MOMC, three of the Dooku's heads are looking towards the left. These holo Sidiouses look like they are looking straight ahead. The one with the Dooku looking straight ahead, the holo sidious looks like it is looking down.

I have one loose, & the holo looks like it is looking ahead.

I dont know! It may be a cool little variation!

***EDIT***

The datestamp on all my Dooku's looking to the left is 20681.
The datestamp on the Dooku looking straight ahead is 20701.

Dryanta
04-30-2002, 11:48 AM
Welcome thunderbird.Enjoy yourself here.
Looking at the side view I think they're different.But give me a minute and I'll change my mind.:)

Thunderbird
05-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the friendly welcome Dryanta. I'm just going buy the two that I have (one loose / one carded). The the holo Sidious is so flexable I can almost make him look at his feet. I thinking the placement in the insert can make him do the same thing. Just my two cents.:crazed: