PDA

View Full Version : What's your best hidden SW toy story?

Mandalorian Candidat
04-29-2002, 12:04 PM
We've all been at both ends, finding some good stuff stashed under shelves and having stuff we've hidden found by someone else. It a good rush when you find something hidden for ages with inches of dust on it or an exclusive that someone socked away a few days before.

Up until last Friday, my best finds have been just older figures, like GC POTF2 that were hidden for years and then finally found. I've found stuff like GC Luke ST, R2, Tusken Raider, Hammerhead, Greedo, and other aliens at TRU that someone had thrown under a shelf that was relocated during a remodel.

On Friday, I went with my wife to visit her mom's grave about 2-3 hours away. I called up some WM's on the way and asked about the TIE Bomber availability. One store said they had one in stock but it wasn't in the department and was thought to be hidden. I got to the store, hunted around without finding it, and almost left empty-handed. I found a toy dept. employee and asked about it. She said it always popped up now and again, but then would quickly disappear only to be found again. She directed me to the pool aisle and said that would be the most likely place to find one. I noticed one row of boxes stuck out more than the other, so I removed them. Behind them was the elusive TIE/B. It was such a cool find and a great rush! To this date I count it as my best hidden find.

What's the best thing you've ever found hidden at a store in terms of price or exclusivity? Or conversely, what's the one thing you were hiding for later that someone else discovered and grabbed?

DarthMushy
04-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago, my mom (who, even though I'm 30, still buys me Star Wars toys) found a Ben Kenobi figure hanging on peg at Wal-Mart... it was the red carded POTF2 Ben from around 1995. It only took them 7 years to put it on the shelf. It was actually one that I didn't have.

It's funny... my wife has learned to check for good figures now whenever she's out. :)

Dryanta
04-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Why wife has been doing the same for me for years.She bought all of my initial Ep 1 stuff because I was unable to make it.
I don't have a hidden story of my own.Not enough collectors around here for that.
I did read one once in Toy Fare.some of you may have already heard it but I'll live vicariuosly through it.
A guy and his girl friend go to walmart.She heads for kids clothes and he goes to toys.He was there for while looking and looking for new figures with no luck.His girl friend comes around the corner of the aisle with a childs back pack in her hands.She says look and opens it.Full of a few or the figures he was looking for.He never found out if it was just dumb luck or if she had done it at some point in the past but he didn't care.
True or not? I don't know but I thought I'd pass it along.Don't ask me.Stranger things have happened.

JetsAndHeels
04-29-2002, 02:36 PM
My best hidden find would have to be when I found my Ree-Yees figure. You know, the the POTF2 one with the slide that is so hard to find. It was on top of the toy shelf at WM inside a big box of stuffed animals. I wouldnt have even found it if the employee (also a friend of mine) hadnt told me. He saw someone hide it so he left it there so I could get it. He knew it would still be there because I went everyday to look for figures. I thanked him a million times. To this day he still asks me "How's your Ree-Yees doing?"

mix
04-29-2002, 03:47 PM
i have too many to share. behind the barbie metal case, under shelves, inside pool accessory boxes, inside Power Wheels up above, in the bath section, all around the store, every section has its weak spots.

mylow thehutt
04-29-2002, 04:51 PM
I think it was when the first POTJ first started to be seen,me and my littel sister were in toys R us Barbie asial.and she was looking at some old stuff so i'm watching her,and she says "I want this one"and pulls out POTF2 C-3po removble limbs! i mean this thing had a spider on it,it was so old.I didn't have the money at the time so I hide it for next time. Forgot where i hid it.

therock0603
04-29-2002, 05:47 PM
Oh, man. I have 2 stories. One of a figure I hid and it was found and then one of a figure I hid and found again later. Well, the first.... I found a Darth Vader w/ removable helmet a long time ago at a Wal-Mart and I was like "OH MY GOODNESS!!!" so I took him to the stuffed animal section and hid him on the shelf under the stuffed animals. I went back when I had the money to buy him and the display had been moved, and of course the figure was gone! I couldn't believe how bad my luck was. I called around and eventually found a Removable Helmet DV at a comic shop and had them send it to their other comic shop near my house and bought it for about $15. It was well worth it.
My second story is of when I found the Jango Fett preview figure at Wal-Mart, but didn't have the money for it. So I hid it behind the legos and when I went back 2 weeks later, it was still in the exact same place. So, there are my stories.

LTBasker
04-29-2002, 06:05 PM
I told this in the POTJ section awhile back but I guess I'll tell it again. :cool:

One time back before the Freeze Frames when the ASP-7 wave had been released and I was at a Wal-Mart and I was quite young about this time and I was just looking at the figures looking for new ones (I didn't have a PC or the net so I didn't know about new stuff) and this guy starts walking down the aisle and quickly bends down in front of the SW section and lifts up one of those bottom shelves then pulls out a SW figure and walks away. Well that got me corious and so I bend down and lift up the shelf and I pull out a new ASP-7. :cool: There was also the package to an opened GC 3PO there, heh.

eliwankenobi
04-29-2002, 06:12 PM
My 'best find' story goes back about 8-9 years when I was at a comic and toy show in L.A. I was digging through a big plastic bin with a sign on front that said 'Any item $10'. i dug down through the loose toys and figures and found a vintage 21-back (rocket-firing Fett ad) carded Stormtrooper in near perfect condition. I knew this was not supposed to be in here, so I indicated to the lady behind the table that I found it in the '$10' bin and asked her how much it was. She looked at it rather indiferently, shrugged, and said "$10". I tried to contain my elation as I pulled $10 out of my pocket and handed it to her. As I was walking away, ecstatic with my find, I overheard behind me;
"How much did you charge him for that figure?"
"$10"
"What?! That was supposed to be $110!!"
Deciding that that was the best luck I was going to have all day, I happily headed for the exit...

RooJay
04-29-2002, 07:24 PM
I've never found anything that didn't eventually become much easier to find, but just before Christmas one of the nearby TRU's had a couple of the first series of POTF figures hanging on the pegs just COVERED in dust! Someone had been hiding them since '95! It was pretty neat to see, even though I didn't have any reason to buy them. They had the original Vader, 3-PO, Chewie, and I think Luke.

Jedi_Rainman
04-29-2002, 09:42 PM
I have one story I remember. I gave my friend $20 b/c he was going to Celebration II and since they could only buy 2 Jorg Sacal figures per day, per person and he only got 1 for himself, he picked up 2 for me on the second day. Thats my story. Oh shoot wait...Celebration II hasn't taken place yet. Now see what that headache did, putting the future in my head again.

"I am one with the force...I guess!"

CooLJoE
04-29-2002, 10:57 PM
I've had some decent stories about hidden finds.

One was on 23rd. During the madness we rushed over to a TRU and went looking through the new AOTC. I know its not a HTF figure, but at the time alot of us at the store thought it was. Some guy found a Zam Wessel and another guy pointed out to him that it was a good find. So I set out to dig through bins and find one for myself. The guy who found that last one helped me and friend dig through bins and eventually we found 2 more. Each in different bins and at the very bottom.

My 2nd story is still about AOTC figures. I went to a local Meijer on the 23rd that had nothing out during MM. I managed to find 1 Zam Wessel. Since I didn't need it, but thought my friend might like a 2nd one (we collect 2 of each and open the 2nd ones). So I grabbed it, wondered around the toy section for a bit, then hid it behind some of the larger, less bought, super soaker guns. I told my friend the next day and he ended up grabbing it. It was exactly where I left it. Kinda cool.

chewie
04-29-2002, 11:47 PM
A few years back I had hid a few figures under a shelf (usin' the old shelving technique) at a K-Mart. I put them in another section of the store as well. Months later, I came back and got them (after remembering about them). Nothing exciting, but it was funny to see them sitting there under that shelf nearly half a year later.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by chewie
A few years back I had hid a few figures under a shelf (usin' the old shelving technique) at a K-Mart. I put them in another section of the store as well. Months later, I came back and got them (after remembering about them). Nothing exciting, but it was funny to see them sitting there under that shelf nearly half a year later.

With about an inch of dust on them, right?

skyywalkerr
04-30-2002, 04:22 PM
I walked into the Davenport Iowa Walmart on a trip home from Chicago last November. I used to live nearby, and had dealt pretty extensively with the stockers there, in particular one very nice woman who actually enjoyed collectors company during the overnight hours. She had that night been moving some shelves for a Christmas display and had found 8 figures under a fixture. 2 Princess Leias, Two Long saber Luke Dagobahs, Two open hand Hoth Hans and two Boba Fetts. And the best thing was, since they didn't come up in the computer, she marked them a dollar each and was going to put them in a clearance aisle. They were dusty, but with a little gentle wiping I had some great trade bait!

The other story I have was when i worked at the Davenport Target. A notorius scalper (who lives in Chicago too now...grrrr!!!!) Would always come in and hide figures. He didnt have any idea that I worked there, so he would hide figures to pick up the next morning. Fortunately for me, I worked security and was able to keep an eye on the toy aisle and see where he hid things. We would always go take the figures out of the hiding places, and hold them till midday the next day so that an actual COLLECTOR could get them!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-16-2003, 12:57 AM
I have another really good story about hidden stuff. This one happened to me this past Friday. I stopped by a KMart that I usually never visit to check out the clearance section. There were two 2003 Darth Tyranuses so I decided to buy one and hide one for another local forumite. I went over near the automotive section to stash it and beheld the biggest figure cache I've ever seen. There were 2 Hot Wheels, which I'm assuming are rare, and the following POTJ figures: 2 battle-damaged Battle Droids, a Mon Calamari Officer, Plo Koon, R4-M9, BoSheck, and Teebo. There was also a Coruscant Escape Padme but I put that one back on the pegs.

The cache was stacked very neatly on top of rolls of electrical tape. They were all in mint condition without any dust at all, as if someone stopped by one a week to clean out the cache. I didn't inspect the whole area underneath the pegs so there could have been more.

I ended up buying the whole lot. Each figure was $1.50. I was pretty happy to find the BoShek wave since it was pretty rare.

bobafrett
06-16-2003, 01:35 AM
When I first started working at Wal-Mart, we got a case of new figures in, and I stashed some in the Barbie isle. We had about 4 or 5 collectors who would come in and strip the pegs clean in the morning, before I would end my shift. I went to get my "prize" stash of figures and the department manager saw me, and reported it to the overnight manager as I was leaving the store after I had paid for the figures. The manager pulled me aside and checked my bag. He informed me that we were not to buy the anything, before the customers had a chance to get them. I was almost fired for that, but I didn't know the rules until then.

my second favorite story is when the Han and TaunTaun were the hot item out at TRU. I remember running through the store with 4 other collector and/or scalpers to the "isle" only to be beaten to the only 12" han w/TaunTaun that was out. The person left with the prize, and I was left in misery until I happened upon a plain cardboard box on the riser with the words Han w/TaunTaun printed on the outside. I was able to secure this, and left the other one for some lucky soul. That was only after pacing back and fourth, debating on if I should get a second one to open.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 11:44 AM
ive found many stashes and have almost made looking for them part of my toy run.

I will say this though, if someone cant afford to buy a figure , they should spend less time hidding it and more time looking for a new job to get $ so they could buy it.

hango fett
06-16-2003, 12:50 PM
i have a story...
at a nearby meijers, late july last year, i was looking at the figures like normal...sifting through the pegs...the i just happend to look up at the top shelve and low and behold were darth maul sith training, ani TA, and a few other i can't remeber i could tell they were those because the bottom said there name. anyway, i found a stocker and asked here if i could see what was up there. she went and got a ladder and yep, there they were darth and ani. they had only 2 darths left and i got both! now they have been moved to the other side of the isle they were in last year. i have been looking up ever since then to see if the have any figures stashed up there. oh, and at a nearby wal-mart this past friday, i "looked up" and found the old red clonetrooper! i was amazed that they could have had that for that long of a time.
peace!
h

RooJay
06-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by aikman8_1999
ive found many stashes and have almost made looking for them part of my toy run.

I will say this though, if someone cant afford to buy a figure , they should spend less time hidding it and more time looking for a new job to get $ so they could buy it.

Except, what if the person doing the hiding is a child and not yet old enough to have a job? I used to hide figures all the time when I was younger and had to wait for my allowance or until I could ask someone else to buy it for me. I had to with some figures or else some older scalper who did have a job would end up cleaning the pegs and I'd miss out completely.

Dr Zoltar
06-16-2003, 02:11 PM
I found a $9 clearance Clone Ship around Christmas time at Target. Someone had hidden it behind a bunch of legos.

I've never myself hidden anything just because it's a cruel thing to do to collectors. But I guess I should start learning where prime spots are in the stores I shop that people may be stashing figures.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
Except, what if the person doing the hiding is a child and not yet old enough to have a job? I used to hide figures all the time when I was younger and had to wait for my allowance or until I could ask someone else to buy it for me. I had to with some figures or else some older scalper who did have a job would end up cleaning the pegs and I'd miss out completely.

Sorry, I have no remorse for people that dont have the money but want to buy all of the stuff they want. Maybe they should ask mommy or wait till xmas.

Can I walk into a porsche dealership and hide the one I want because I dont have the money yet?

jedi master sal
06-16-2003, 04:04 PM
The first one I "burned" myself.

I was in my local Wal*Mart and found THREE of the Naboo Royal Guards. (The red ones with the silverish helmets) I didn't have enough money at the time and stupid me forgot about lay-away. So I stashed them in a container and went back the next day. They were gone. Needless to say I learned my lesson from that. Which is: If you don't have enough for the whole thing then put it on layaway. (This only works for Wal Mart though, as TRU/Target/ and most K-marts don't have layaway.)

My good one:

Really this is one from my fiancee. She was on a lunch break and would from time to time go to the local K-Mart. Now she's a collector to so she knows the deal. I had just given her a wants list a day earlier and so while looking for her stuff she looked for me as well. Normally she wouldn't look in the back of the pegs for stuff but decided to this day and lo and behold there was R2-B1 (The yellow headed/ blue bodied R2 unit) This was one of the best finds considering that little bugger was extremely hard to find in my area. In fact, I've never actually seen him at retail myself. So, were it not for the diligence of my fiancee looking out for me I would still to this day probably not have that fig!

My BEST one.

I got a tip from a friend of mine who used to work at a TRU but was starting at a Target, that the Y-wing/Skiff/12in Biker Scouts were going to be put out on a Sunday morning. So, I showed up promptly at 7:55 am. There was only one guy in front of me (and I already knew that he was a scalper from WAAAYYY back) so chances were good I'd get something. Again my fiancee was with me for this one and really made the difference. I asked her to check the aisles while I asked the clerks. The guy who was first zipped right over to the aisles as did my fiancee (She knew all to well what I was looking for), well she ran interference for me by distracting that guy and tying him up at the aisle. In the meantime I asked a clerk who said they just happened to have them behind the counter. They only had 2 12"inch Biker Scouts with Speeder Bike and 2 Y-wings and 3 skiffs. By this time two other collectors had showed up and saw what was being handed to me over the counter. I got all three that day and the other two guys got a skiff each and they split up the Y-wing and Scout between themselves so they each got two items. Around the corner came my fiancee and she saw the haul I had and even let out a little whoo-hoo for me. Then came the scalper. He saw not just me but the other two guys and immediately rushed over to the counter to get something for himself. Like I said though there wasn't anything left. His eyes burned with fury and I knew that he just wanted to rip the toys right out of mine or the other two guys hands. Guess he shouldn't have paid any attention to my fiancee....Sometimes it really helps having her around for such a thing. (This was the only circumstance, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if it meant screwing over a scalper.)

So chalk not just one but three up for the good guys. One of those collectors from that day at target I still talk to from time to time and we even have gotten things for each other, so all in all that was a great day.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-16-2003, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the post, aikman. We've had many discussions on SSG about the whole 'to stash or not to stash' debate. It would make a good thread on its own. I meant this thread to be about what kinds of stories people have in finding or hiding different toys when they go shopping.

What interesting stuff have you found hunting around below the shelves?

RooJay
06-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Sorry, I have no remorse for people that dont have the money but want to buy all of the stuff they want. Maybe they should ask mommy or wait till xmas.

Can I walk into a porsche dealership and hide the one I want because I dont have the money yet?

No you can't, partially because Porche's are too big to hide even if you could find a place at the dealership to hide one (also, I can pretty much guarantee that your local Porche dealership is in absolutely no danger of running out of your favorite model).
Also, you are not a child (are you?), and even if you were I find it highly doubtful that your mommy would buy you a Porche for Christmas.
I sense a lot of resentment from you towards kids who would seek to buy your toys before you get a chance. I have half a mind to hide your toys just because.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 08:31 PM
No you can't, partially because Porche's are too big to hide even if you could find a place at the dealership to hide one (also, I can pretty much guarantee that your local Porche dealership is in absolutely no danger of running out of your favorite model).
Also, you are not a child (are you?), and even if you were I find it highly doubtful that your mommy would buy you a Porche for Christmas.
I sense a lot of resentment from you towards kids who would seek to buy your toys before you get a chance. I have half a mind to hide your toys just because.

Well you got the half a mind part right.
What I resent is going to stores , with cash, to buy toys that never seem to be there.

Where are they?
Oh they are hidden by some fool you say?

Some kid or scalper 'hid' the stores property because they saw it first?
And occasionally they 'forgot' where they put them.

Puh-lease.
Ive seen stashes of every toy line hidden in all sorts of places. Almost like your own personal layaway but without any money down or even a commitment to buy.
Defend it you cant...

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Thanks for the post, aikman. We've had many discussions on SSG about the whole 'to stash or not to stash' debate. It would make a good thread on its own. I meant this thread to be about what kinds of stories people have in finding or hiding different toys when they go shopping.

What interesting stuff have you found hunting around below the shelves?

Unfortunately for me, I usually find stashes of the newer /rarer toys after I already got mine. I always take em out and display them in the open. Star wars is bad for that but marvel legends are worse...

RooJay
06-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Well you got the half a mind part right.
What I resent is going to stores , with cash, to buy toys that never seem to be there.

Where are they?
Oh they are hidden by some fool you say?

Some kid or scalper 'hid' the stores property because they saw it first?
And occasionally they 'forgot' where they put them.

Puh-lease.
Ive seen stashes of every toy line hidden in all sorts of places. Almost like your own personal layaway but without any money down or even a commitment to buy.
Defend it you cant...

Not for some scalper or even for myself, no, but for some poor kid who has to compete with a bunch much older collectors with way too much disposeable income I say more power to 'em. I have no problem losing out on figures to some poor kid who'd just love to have 'em in their toybox.

Kidhuman
06-16-2003, 11:22 PM
I guess my best hidden find is when I was at Wal-Mart about a year and a half ago. It was about 12am when all the stock was out on the floor. I was looking through the toy pallets and couldn't find anything. A guy walked passed me with the Leia w/ sail barge cannon. I asked him where he got it and he said it was the last one. I was upset about that. I walked down an aisle and saw an opened hasbro SW box. I looked in it and there was Amanaman and Leia deluxes. I took the two Amanamnan that were there and the last Leia. I saw that guy again and he sqw I had the two Amanaman and asked where I found them .I toldhim in a box on the bottom shelf in an aisle, and that there were no more left. The best part is they were on clearance also for 2.50 a piece. I ended up giving him an Amanaman though, since I didn't need both of them.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Not for some scalper or even for myself, no, but for some poor kid who has to compete with a bunch much older collectors with way too much disposeable income I say more power to 'em. I have no problem losing out on figures to some poor kid who'd just love to have 'em in their toybox.

Your valiant motives are noted.

Might I suggest you donate your collection to some needy children , they would love to have them.

Im suprised you still think they make star wars figures for kids, I dont know one child who could afford an imperial shuttle , or even a fraction of these toys to be honest with you.

I love the fact that kids still collect(or at least I hope they do).

But I dont think that having them hide store stock and cause damage to other collectors and kids for that matter that prefer legal and moral methods to getting their toys.

My gosh, maybe they cant get the newest wave of figures because they are too expensive or not available.

Its called reality.

I go to the store 1 or 2 times a week and I deserve the same chance as anyone else shopping there, kid or otherwise.
First come first served, as long as you can pay up.

RooJay
06-16-2003, 11:43 PM
:rolleyes:

I agree with that last sentiment there, but in a hobby where I have to contend with a bunch of smarmy, gubby scalpers who would stop at nothing to be the first guy down the action figure aisle, first thing in the morning when most of the rest of us aren't able to get there only to strip the pegs clean so they can sell the stuff to us collectors and (God forbid!) the little kiddies at outrageously overinflated prices - if those same kiddies want to hide a figure or two here or there until they can convince mommy to buy it for 'em, I gotta root for them.

By the way, there is absolutely nothing illegal or immoral about little kids trying to stash figures until they can come back for 'em later. There ought to be something illegal about it when adults do it though.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 11:53 PM
By the way, there is absolutely nothing illegal or immoral about little kids trying to stash figures until they can come back for 'em later. There ought to be something illegal about it when adults do it though. [/B]

We differ in opinion then, because I dont think its right for anyone to do it, it is extremly selfish.

As far as the scalpers, I dont really have a problem with them camping out in front of stores when they open and haunting the toy aisles.

They can waste thier lives doing that If they want to.

The issue is they only exist because people pay thier prices.

Ive never paid scalper prices for a figure, Im not keeping them in business. Someone else is though. Many people at these forums pay scalper prices for figs and such at shows or ebay.

They are the ones at fault.

waste thier lives doing that

aikman8_1999
06-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Many would differ in opinion but yes I consider these scalper prices

AOTC Carded Barriss Offee C-7/8 - Shipping $6+Price: $18.99
AOTC Carded Ashla & Jempa C-9 Shipping $6+Price: $19.99
Saga Unleashed Luke Jedi C-9 Price: $29.99
Saga Unleashed Obi-Wan C-9 Price: $24.99

courtesy of brians toys...

bobafrett
06-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Oh, and I did manage to locate a 12" Boss Nass, and Sebulba that were up on the riser, or in back stock, at a local Wal-Mart several years after they were released. I guess they were doing the store remodel and I just happened in to the store at a good time, as I missed out on these figures the first time.

aikman8_1999
06-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Sometimes I think scalpers return thier old stock when it doesnt sell, that would explain some real old items showing up

Mandalorian Candidat
06-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Sometimes I think scalpers return thier old stock when it doesnt sell, that would explain some real old items showing up

I can agree with that. The only time I've ever returned stuff is when it goes on clearance or sale and I just want to get the difference back.

My local WM has put a few odd POTJ figures back on its pegs that must have been found laying around in the stockroom or from around the store.

OC47150
06-20-2003, 11:34 AM
At the local WM, a bunch of the EP. 1 sneak preview STAPs sat on a riser for months (maybe a year) just collecting dust. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I got one down and scanned it. $1.50! I bought four on the spot!

dark_one
06-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Just this week I was walking through K-mart and as usual they had nothing in the SW section. Walking out I just happened to go through the clearance aisle. To my suprise they had about 2 dozen POTJ SDarth Maul with Sith Attack Droid ( bare chest ) for $2. This was the only one I didnt have for that collection. I dont know how difficult it was to find in its day but Ive had a hard time. I bought 2 and so did my buddy. They were pretty covered in dust and most were banged up pretty good.

OC47150
06-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Dark One, check your private messages.