PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan in AOTC?

Pendo
04-29-2002, 12:32 PM
I saw the film "Hook" the other day with Robin Williams in it. John Williams also conducts the music for that and I realised how similar the music from that and the music from Attack Of The Clones was. Is it just me or has JW actually taken pieces of the Hook sountrack and put it into AOTC? I know every conductor has his/her own style but that's just taking the smeg. I am really put off from the AOTC soundtrack now cause I keep picturing Robin Williams flying through Coruscant in those green tights...:crazed:!

Has anybody else seen this?

PENDO!

Pendo
04-29-2002, 12:36 PM
If you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some similarities:

Near the end of the "Yoda and the Younglings" track, it's the same as when the mermaids are giving Peter air under the water.

If you listen to the "Across the Stars" theme you can hear some obvious traces of the Hook theme.

I'll try and dig out some more.

PENDO!

pthfnder89
04-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
If you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some similarities:

Near the end of the "Yoda and the Younglings" track, it's the same as when the mermaids are giving Peter air under the water.

If you listen to the "Across the Stars" theme you can hear some obvious traces of the Hook theme.

I'll try and dig out some more.

PENDO!

Pendo - I can't believe how odd it is that you mention this. I happened to flip by Hook this weekend on TV while I was listening to the soundtrack and I thought the same thing.

Well not exactly. There aren't any parts that he just lifted from Hook and put into AOTC. It just sounds similar in places.

But since the soundtrack was about the only good thing about Hook, it doesn't bother me ;)

Beast
04-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Alot of composers seem to always write similar music, just listen to some of John Williams' other film scores, they seem similar in ways. Someone who is really bad for having all their film scores sounding similar is Danny Elfman. I don't know if he does it on purpose, or if thats the only kinda music he knows how to write. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
04-29-2002, 04:26 PM
There are also hints of Jurassic Park in the soundtrack. On track 11 it's a similar theme to when Ellie and Robert are looking for the cars that stoped outside the T-Rex pen.
Anyone else noticed any other similarities to other JW scores?

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
04-29-2002, 07:39 PM
I thought the LOVE THEME sounded like "Han Solo and the Princess" played backwards and mixed with the "Jurassic Park" theme.

2-1B
04-30-2002, 12:17 AM
Pendo, I thought you were starting a silly thread here in response to the "Howard the Duck in AOTC" question. :crazed:

Can't comment otherwise. :D

pthfnder89
04-30-2002, 02:33 PM
If you go through all of John Williams recordings there will certainly be a lot of similar uses of instruments. Every composer has his own style, just as every painter has his own style. You can't really escape it.

Personally I think the AOTC soundtrack is fantastic! I liked the TPM soundtrack but it just didn't seem "Star Wars-ey" enough to me. It seemed like George told Williams not to use any themes from the original Trilogy, which was a bad idea, since even the original movies shared several musical themes.

I love the AOTC soundtrack because he mixes in themes from the previous movies when it's approriate, and then creates greatn new tracks to go along with them like Across the Stars.

Considering how big of a part music plays in the Star Wars movies, listening to this soundtrack makes me even more excited about Attack of the Clones!:)