PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Mace Question - Please NO SPOILERS

Lman316
04-29-2002, 04:55 PM
I'm back in the forums just to ask one question, then I'm gone again - so don't worry, I didn't recant :crazed:.
I picked up the Deluxe Mace on the 23rd and when I finally got around to opening him I saw that the magnet in his hand didn't really work, and his lightsaber didn't attach very well. On top of that, the eyes of the battle droid are messed up, one is towards the top of his head, the other towards the bottom.
But what I would like to know is if anyone else had the same problem with the magnet. I was thinking about taking this figure back to get another one, but if they're all like that, I guess I won't.
If anyone could share some info on theirs, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Wolfwood319
04-29-2002, 04:58 PM
My Mace's magnet works great, and the paint job on the battledroid is very good. Looks like you just get a lemon.;) You should go back and exchange it, IMO.

Wonderboy
04-29-2002, 04:59 PM
My Mace Deluxe has no problems like that...maybe you got a bad one.

pthfnder89
04-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Wonderboy
My Mace Deluxe has no problems like that...maybe you got a bad one.

Ditto. Mine works fine

Dryanta
04-29-2002, 06:25 PM
Lman,Hey great to see you,even if only for minute.No problems with mine either.I wonder if the paint on the magnet may be too thick.The droid sounds like shoddy workmanship.Hope you come back again soon.:)

RooJay
04-29-2002, 07:16 PM
It seems to me that my Deluxe Mace's magnet is the strongest of all the figures I've bought so far!

JEDIpartner
04-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Oooh... my Mace's magnet is the PITS! My Obi-Wan (Chase) magnet is the strongest!!!

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 05:08 AM
My Mace's magnet is really weak, way weaker than Ani OPD's. I'm planning on scraping off the glue and paint from the magnet, hoping that'll help, but this will mess up the fragile paint on the metal saber handle.

The figure can't even compare to the Obi-Wan's magnet, when I used Obi-Wan's magnet over the Deluxe Mace's Battle Droid's blaster rifle, it picked it right up - when I used Mace for this, it failed miserably.

RooJay
05-02-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
...when I used Obi-Wan's magnet over the Deluxe Mace's Battle Droid's blaster rifle, it picked it right up - when I used Mace for this, it failed miserably.
WOW! I hadn't even realized that sucker was magnetic!:sur:
...and hey; My Mace is stronger than yo-urs, my Mace is stronger than yo-urs!:p :D

RooJay
05-02-2002, 05:39 AM
Hey, here's something else for all you variation hunters to go after: Strong magnet Mace vs. weak magnet Mace!:rolleyes: :D

mrmiller
05-02-2002, 09:41 AM
My Magnet it pitifully weak. It will hold his saber in his hand, but that's about it. It doens't "pick up" anything. Maybe my mace makes up for it by being able to put an eye out with his fireball from across the room. That sucker flies.

=MATT=

SuperBattleDroid88
05-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Mine is the worst out my figures magnets!!!!!! When ever I bump the lightsaber it falls out!!!!!!! :(
I play with them but if he gets hit his lightsaber comes out!!!!!!
AHHH!!!!!!!! :crazed:

Paul-Kenobi
05-03-2002, 01:17 AM
my Mace Magnet is really weak if i shake the figure the saber falls out of his hand.

SuperBattleDroid88
05-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Same here Paul Kenobi....... :rolleyes:

RooJay
05-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Hee hee! Look! Look what MY Mace can do! Hee hee!:crazed:

JediTricks
05-04-2002, 02:37 AM
RooJay, is that a freeze-frame right before he drops to the ground? :D

Mine is not exactly strong with the Force either.

RooJay
05-05-2002, 06:02 PM
You WISH!:p I actually held him up like that for a good five minutes or so! I took the pic a few times because I was trying to get the lighting right; he didn't show up so well in the first couple shots. I even moved around quite a bit while holding him up like that! My Mace would actually hang like that forever I'd imagine.:D Guess I'm just lucky that way!

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 03:24 AM
No no, Mace there is "strong with the Force"... of magnetism! :D

Question about your gorilla-grip Mace there: how much paint and/or glue is over the magnet, a lot or a little or none or a "normal-looking amount"?

mista_carrot
05-06-2002, 04:35 AM
Sorry RooJay, but I'm a bit skeptical about that picture of yours. Mace's grip is good enough to create enough tension for practically anything to hold him up in the air like that. My Mace's magnet is decent but is only about half the stength on CC Obi-Wan's which is powerful enough for you to hold him up by his lightsaber hilt.
Mace's grip interferes too much to be able to truly test if you can hold him up by his lightsaber hilt alone. Anybody want to shave off Mace's fingers to test it out?
Overall, I have to say that Mace does seem to have the second strongest magnet so far (for figures that have them in their palm).

RooJay
05-06-2002, 01:09 PM
What reason would I have to fake it?! I might be a bit of a loser, but I'm enough of a winner that it wouldn't serve me any to PRETEND my Mace has a strong magnet! By the way, I was playin' around with him again and his grip finally gave out; his magnet stayed quite FIRMLY attached to the hilt even after it popped completely out of his hand! More proof that it's not just his grip on the hilt; now that the magnet won't stay in his palm the hilt just slides right out of his hand. I take the magnet off completely, and his lightsaber just slides out the bottom of his hand!
To answer your question Jedi Tricks, since I only have one Deluxe Mace it's kinda hard to guess at how the amount of paint on his palm stacks up to others, but I'd have to say that it looks like a normal amount. The paint isn't gobbed on, but the magnet is well covered.

Jason B
05-06-2002, 02:14 PM
when i first saw the pic while it was loading, iut looked like you were picking your nose with the sabre blade. of course, i just came back from the other thread. :crazed:

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 02:05 AM
RooJay, thanks, that seems like an adequate answer. If you feel like delving in a little deeper, try looking at the hand in the packaging next time you see a few of this figure.

I'm not sure Mista Carrot is saying you're a poser, just that he seems to think that your results could be skewed by the figure's natural grip. I could be wrong, but I think that's all he's saying.

As for this issue of finger strength, in the pic by Carrot, the c-shape of the grip isn't doing the holding, it's the tension between the top of the index finger and the bottom of the thumb -- and this is how RooJay's figure is holding its saber as well.

mista_carrot
05-07-2002, 04:13 AM
Yes, JediTricks, that's exactly what I'm saying!

RooJay, I wasn't trying to attack you or say that you were lying; I just thought that your picture didn't adequately prove to me that Mace could be held in the air by magnet power alone. Sorry if I sounded harsh or offensive, it was just hard to explain what I was talking about.

Anyway, I've been messing around with my Mace and have devised a way to truly test if he can be held in the air by magnet power alone (which mine can't). First, you can't use his lightsaber hilt. Why? Because it's too thick for this experiment to work (it can't slide out from the top of his grip, only from the bottom). So use CC Obi-Wan's or Kit Fisto's or the one that comes with HD Anakin.
Next, do the exact same thing that you did in your photo, but this time, hold it so the lightsaber is almost horizontal but still at an angle. This way, Mace's grip can't create enough tension to interfere, thus leaving it up to the magnet to keep him in the air.

My Mace failed this test and slid off the hilt immediately.

Jason B
05-07-2002, 10:00 AM
does it really matter? who cares if the magnet on a figure's hand can hold it up?

Lman316
05-07-2002, 10:40 AM
Since I was back for a little bit, I figured I'd reply.
Well, I took the advice of some here and took the Mace back. It seems that I just can't win with this thing and I'm starting to re-evaluate this purchase.
The magnet's a little stronger (but not much). I was really hoping for something as strong as the Obi-Wan (CC) magnet. And before, the only thing wrong with my battle droid was the messed up eyes thing, but this new one would not stay together. I had to use a clear rubber band to get him to not fall apart.
The only thing really better about this one is that it has the feet holes (even though the battle droid still doesn't, which seems odd to me). I had to check a lot of them to make sure I'd find one with them.
And about all the pictures in this thread (I'm not trying to insult anyone here, or call anyone a liar or anything; I just want to get my two cents in), I too can get my Mace to stay like that - it has nothing to do with the magnet. The only real way to test it is to place the end of the hilt (where it comes to a point) right on the magnet and then see if you can hold him up. I tried that, and he failed miserably... but the Obi-Wan on the other hand can hang there for a while.
Maybe I'll just take it back and wait until I can get a Geonosis Rescue...

pthfnder89
05-07-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
And before, the only thing wrong with my battle droid was the messed up eyes thing, but this new one would not stay together. I had to use a clear rubber band to get him to not fall apart.

The same thing happens with the battle droid that came with my Deluxe Mace. I can get him to stay together if he is on a totally flat surface and I mess with him a bit. But if anyone looks at him funny he falls apart.:(

DarthMaulSithLord
05-07-2002, 11:10 AM
My Obi-Wan's magnet is strong enough to hold onto the droid and work Anakin Peasant's accessories just fine. Anakin on the other hand can barely open the damn chest. It takes him forever. Obi-Wan can do it in one try and the droid can do it without any effort. Should i return my Anni?

:)

RooJay
05-07-2002, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure Mista Carrot is saying you're a poser, just that he seems to think that your results could be skewed by the figure's natural grip. I could be wrong, but I think that's all he's saying.
Thanks for the reassurance. Still, I can tell you for certain that this is not the case in my photo (for the record, I couldn't care LESS whether, or how you guys think this feature works on my figure. I was simply trying to share in the fact that my figures magnet is VERY strong.). I am certainly smart enough to have realized that when I took the photo, if it were the case.

As for this issue of finger strength, in the pic by Carrot, the c-shape of the grip isn't doing the holding, it's the tension between the top of the index finger and the bottom of the thumb -- and this is how RooJay's figure is holding its saber as well.
...and like I said, I assure you this is not the case with my figure. His magnet is definitely stronger than the magnet in your figure. That having been said, I've got better things to do than to argue how strong my toys magnetic feature is.:)

RooJay
05-07-2002, 04:27 PM
To mista-carrot, why would I have been offended by that? Why would I have been bothered with being called a liar when it didn't matter one bit anyway? I'm not HALF that insecure. I was trying to demonstrate that some of this particular figures features DO work better between different examples of the same figure. Believe it or not, mine does. Yes, I could get him to stay up like that by propping his weapon between his fingers, but that was not the point I was trying to make. Do I feel "attacked" by your belief that my TOY's magnet is not stronger than yours? Not in the least.

mista_carrot
05-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Hey, you're the one who was getting defensive. Obviously you were offended in some way even if it was just a little. I could care less myself about this whole matter. And I'm glad you didn't feel attacked; like I said, I wasn't attacking you.

Sidiously Darth
05-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Is there suppose to be a magnet in the Battle Droid from the Deluxe Mace? My BD will not hold together when I try to stand him up. He does better in 2 pieces.

BTW, my Mace and Obi-Wan are having magnet wrestling matches with other magnet carrying figures. They've formed a tag team called The Magnetic Duo.:happy:

JediTricks
05-08-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Jason B
does it really matter? who cares if the magnet on a figure's hand can hold it up? It matters to me, my Mace Deluxe has a slightly-melted index finger and his grip isn't good enough to hold the saber without magnet help... and the magnet is barely any help at all on mine.

Sidiously Darth, no magnet in the droid (which there SHOULD have been) and my droid is always in 3 pieces - the head barely rests on the post.

pthfnder89
05-08-2002, 12:33 PM
It matters to me, my Mace Deluxe has a slightly-melted index finger and his grip isn't good enough to hold the saber without magnet help... and the magnet is barely any help at all on mine.

Sidiously Darth, no magnet in the droid (which there SHOULD have been) and my droid is always in 3 pieces - the head barely rests on the post.

And yet for SOME reason they bothered to put a metal bit in the droids gun (presumably so that Mace could pull it away with the force.) :rolleyes: But they didn't even bother mentioning that on the package. Interesting priorities Hasbro...

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 01:04 AM
Yeah, that metal in the gun is a weird omission. Obi-Wan Coruscant can rip it right out of the droid's hands though (so long as he walks up to the droid and high-fives it ;)).