PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever experienced "collector's guilt?"

Lone Jedi
04-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Am I alone (as I quite often am), or do any of you feel "guilty" at times due to collecting all this SW stuff? I'm not asking if you feel like you want to quit (I certainly do not), but if you've ever pondered about what you'll do with all this stuff once the line officially ends. I guess the latter point would be directed towards those of you who do not yet have families of your own (i.e., spouse and kids). Just food for thought.

Dar' Argol
04-29-2002, 10:20 PM
I strongly believe that collecting is hiereditary(sp). My grand father collects asst stuff, my father collected asst stuff, I collect. See a pattern??

I was pondering this a few weeks ago. I told my wife, "What am I going to collect once Star Wars is done??". It actually kinda scared me. I had a few other collections going b/4 the finacial crunch hit. Now all I have let is SW. I don't know what I am going to do. And futhermore, not to sound dreary or anything, but what will happen to "us"? When all the movies are done, and all the figs are done, what will happen to this community??

Ah, who knows! I just know I'm having fun at the time! That's all that matters!

Lord Tenebrous
04-29-2002, 10:23 PM
It's complicated.

When I was a high school senior, and it was May 3, 1999, I showed my dad a picture from eBay with all the figures, and I asked him to get me a Palpatine, Valorum, and Sidious. He came home with all the figures and two vehicles.

Then I went into a hiatus, where all the other Episode 1 figures came out, and I of course missed those. So then I thought, maybe I should complete the Episode 1 set, since dad bought these figures that are pretty much worthless now.

But then I changed my mind, since I actually liked all the figures that he got me, and I decided to just get the figures that I liked. Then the clearances hit, and I got a whole lot of stuff for cheap. And that stunted my collecting even more, because why pay for something that you don't really want or need in the first place?

So now I'm just getting one or two figures that I'm pleased with, that way I'm in a budget, and I'm not buying stuff I don't need.

Then I realized that there are figures before Episode 1 that I want. Oh, what I'd do for a Garindan....

The inner struggle continues!

LTBasker
04-29-2002, 10:32 PM
I've also thought about what I'll do when I'm older and the Star Wars franchise has pretty much ended cause since I'm 15 I figure I'll probably be around longer than Lucas has left so I figure I'll just complete my collection over time....which is impossible as there are too many things out there and there will be many more things it'll probably be a lifetime's worth of collecting - which I enjoy doing. :D

Forhekset
04-29-2002, 10:39 PM
When I decided to seriously start collecting about a year and a half ago I got a Garindan off eBay for $8 or so I think :) Sure you can't still find one Tenebrous?

At any rate there will still be plenty of figures and such for me to collect after SW. I collect anime stuff, Transformers, Lego, other Sci-Fi...basically whatever I think is cool. I guess I just like figures and toys period.

Darth Nihilus
04-30-2002, 11:00 AM
It's hard to imagine the toyline dying out even after the movie's conclusion. As long as there is money to be made the toys will continue. Just take a look around at all these other 80's toylines that are making a comeback without a continued media promotion behind them. Relax, the only thing I imagine that will end your SW collecting is when you decide you have had enough.

Dryanta
04-30-2002, 11:09 AM
I know I'll finally have more to spent on hopping up some motorcycles.Any way.Dar I've wondered the same thing.I've come to the conclusion that Star Wars was the catylist that brought us here.We've all formed friendships here that don't rely solely on Star Wars.So when the day comes when SS gives it up for lack of sponsors I can see groups large and small going else where to continue the contact.The friendships alot of us formed as teenagers have for most of us faded away.I've found the relationships formed as an adult last alot longer.

jedi master sal
04-30-2002, 03:01 PM
HEY!
We just started collecting the EPII stuff and you guys are acting like it's the end of the collecting world. I foresee that we have at least a good 8 years of collecting unique items. This accounts for the next three years til EPIII then another 3 years of EPIII stuff with two more years at the tail to make other figs and things. By that time I'll be 40 and hope by that time to have my mind set on other things. I'll continue to build my armies and I imagine for myself that I will be buying whole collections from those of you who will be selling them. I will continue to customize and build dioramas until I pass into the force. (which I hope is a long time in coming) So, for me I will have this, forever.

Think about it though, 8 more years of collecting. Even collectors like LTBasker will be in there mid-twenties by that time (he'll be 23). He'll have probably finished college and maybe gotten married and possibly have a kid of his own. Life changes for all of us, let's just roll with it as it goes instead of living in the past or looking to far into the future. SW will always be with us and though it may come to pass that we will not be together talking as we do now, we will always remember and be a better person for it.
MTFBWY! Always!

eliwankenobi
04-30-2002, 03:35 PM
I'm with Jedi Master Sal. I forsee another good 7-8 years of new SW figs and toys by which time I'll also be 40.
My collecting began back in '78 with the original line and I still have many of the figs and toys I collected back then. Of course, I didn't give any thought to future 'worth' as I opened, played with, traded, and even gave away many of my old SW toys. SW collecting stayed with me through the hiatus of the late 80s and early 90s when the only thing to collect was comics, cards, and retarded little bend-ems. It was also at this time that I found out how SW toys hit the 'collectible' market. I spent my time and $$ trying to replace items I once had, and even picked up a few I never got. It was also at this time that I began to despise scalpers!
Now with SW such a strong market again, my collecting of SW toys and figs has picked up where I left off as a kid. And not because of any potential 'collectible value', but because its fun. They're toys, and I'll still play with them (much to the amusement of my fiance), and maybe one day I'll play with them with my kids.
Though I have scaled back my purchasing quantities and have been more selective to accomodate traveling and other activities - and every day I go into a store and can't find the fig/toy I'm looking for I swear I'm going to quit - I will probably keep collecting SW through to the end - just cuz its fun!

asiandoood
04-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
HEY!
We just started collecting the EPII stuff and you guys are acting like it's the end of the collecting world. I foresee that we have at least a good 8 years of collecting unique items. This accounts for the next three years til EPIII then another 3 years of EPIII stuff with two more years at the tail to make other figs and things. By that time I'll be 40 and hope by that time to have my mind set on other things. I'll continue to build my armies and I imagine for myself that I will be buying whole collections from those of you who will be selling them. I will continue to customize and build dioramas until I pass into the force. (which I hope is a long time in coming) So, for me I will have this, forever.

Think about it though, 8 more years of collecting. Even collectors like LTBasker will be in there mid-twenties by that time (he'll be 23). He'll have probably finished college and maybe gotten married and possibly have a kid of his own. Life changes for all of us, let's just roll with it as it goes instead of living in the past or looking to far into the future. SW will always be with us and though it may come to pass that we will not be together talking as we do now, we will always remember and be a better person for it.
MTFBWY! Always!

hehe... very true. I see about a decade more of SW figures and more. I dont think SW will die out fast. It started 25 years ago...and is still going strong today. They went from SW, ESB, ROTJ, Ewoks, Droids, POTF, POTF2, EP1, and now EP2 and beyond. They are always going to find a way to fill in the space, and Lucas will always find a way to make many versions of his movies with Special Super Duper Editions with unseen footage :p

Im already 24, and the power of collecting is still strong with me :D

Jargo
04-30-2002, 04:00 PM
hello, what happened the last time? after the vintage line died did people just give up on the idea of colecting? no. They hunted out the missing pieces where they could find them at flea markets, collectible stores and swap meets and stuff. I didn't have much vintage stuff because we couldn't afford to buy toys when I was a lad so this new stuff since '95 is my chance to get stuff I've wanted since I was knee high to a grasshopper and I collect purely for that reason. I collect because I want the stuff not because I think it's cool to collect. When hasbro stops making the figures I'll still keep hold of everything and continue to enjoy the stuff I wanted and now own. I'll continue to hunt down missing pieces and to buy more of the pieces I want for armies. I feel no guilt other than that I spend far more money on toys than I should instead of on my partner who love as I do doesn't get treats very often. So if and when the line dies I'll spend more on my partner than the toys, but I'll still talk about stuff, still be interested, still go nuts when I find soething I don't yet have that I crave too deeply. It's not like star wars fans and collectors will just cease to exist. so all in all I'd say I don't feel any guilt about collecting or if I do I stamp on it really hard until it goes away and then go buy some more toys. :)

Forhekset
04-30-2002, 05:07 PM
I don't even understand the title of this thread...."collector's guilt" doesn't really make any sense. What we're mostly talking about is more like "paranoia" or "depression".

Jargo, what I do is try to make sure that when I'm coming home with goodies for myself, I always have something for my girlfriend too. That way she's distracted while I haul in my stuff. "Look honey, it's that Tron 20th anniversary DVD you wanted. Oh and I just spent $120 on AOTC figs by the way."

:D

asiandoood
04-30-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
"Look honey, it's that Tron 20th anniversary DVD you wanted. Oh and I just spent $120 on AOTC figs by the way."

:D

hahahaha :D :D ...omg, that sounds so awfully familiar :D

RooJay
04-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I have never experienced "collectors guilt", and yes, I know exactly what I plan to do with all my stuff when the line officially ends; I plan to keep it until I have children that are old enough to appreciate these toys! My collection is being kept in perfect condition so that some day my children can play with and enjoy them. That IS what toys are for afterall!;)
In the meantime, I too, like my friend Jargo, am reliving MY childhood!

SithDroid
04-30-2002, 05:59 PM
I don't think that SW is going to die down anytime soon. I mean look at Star Trek. The original series has been off the air (not including syndication) for over 30 years and the last movie with all the original characters was over 10 years ago and yet Original Stark Trek figures were still made after that. Plus IMO Star Wars is appeals to a wider range of people than Star Trek does. If anything goes first, it will be Star Trek, but I don't think that either are going anywhere.

If the line did cease, then I guess I would fill in my gaps in the collection. After that I would continue up my Generation One Transformers collection, G.I.Joe Collection, and Comic book collection. There is always plenty for me to collect.:D

Lone Jedi
05-01-2002, 12:15 AM
Aye carumba! I guess I wasn't clear at all on my thoughts earlier. RooJay, Dar'Argol, and LTBasker (to name a few) actually addressed my post. I WASN'T (as in WAS NOT) talking about the SW line ending anytime soon. I WASN'T talking about giving up collecting. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you anticipate (or dread) that you'll live alone with only your job and your SW toys to show for it, and feel bad about that. I realize that a good number of you already have a significant other or a spouse and kids to share your great SW bounties with; you should feel blessed :) So maybe this thread was targeted for those who do not fall into that category. Again, just food for thought. :confused:

Vortex
05-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Well I'm a single guy in my late 20's and yes, your thought of being alone with the exception of my star wars items for company, and it is a strange thought. My long and weird hours at work, soccer and hockey teams, woodworking projects, and basic life things have kept me single for quite some time. That and the fact I'm not really overly interested in doing the whole dating song and dance again. If I have to tell my life stories over pasta again I'll be sick...

The few girlfriends I did have in college, did tollerate my collecting and even had collections of their own going (spoons, hallmark orniments etc...) so we used to hunt together for fun, but honestly they shouldn't care if it is something that makes you happy and something you enjoy. Everyone has their quirks. Some will think collecting toys is a sickness, is weird in a creepy, but then again, so are most women's shoe fetish and anything on sale at vicky's. No lie, but I dated a woman who had more panties that she could wear in year if not two. If she wore a different pair a day. She could change twice and still not run out. She would come back from every trip to the mall with a new pair or a whole bag full. Buddy, star wars collecting won't be your biggest problem.

Don't worry about it, you won't wind up alone, and hey look how many friends you make at this site. You're never truely alone.

I've meet a lot of women collecters when I worked at Toys R Us and I was even asked out for coffee a few times after chatting about figs, movies, new stuff, ideas...either that or they just want to use me to get to the new figs:) So you are not alone, and there's no reason to dread talking to vader over a TV dinner for company when your 50.

Lone Jedi
05-02-2002, 01:37 AM
tjovonovich, your post really hit home. Thanks for your input.

RooJay
05-02-2002, 07:24 AM
Ennh! I never once thought you were talking about the line ending any time soon. Personally, I think this line has AT LEAST another eight years left! That's not even counting the eventual resurgence caused by nostalgia (He-Man/ G.I.Joe/ Transformers anybody?). Nope, Star Wars (and the toys specifically) have become part of the culture, and will probably go on for a long time to come in some form or another; in spite of what some of the nay sayers may think!;) By the way, I think that the only way one's "passion" for collecting can become "weird" in the eyes of others is when you yourself feel it is. I have often found that the perceptions others have about you can be (and IS) highly influenced by your impression of yourself. I'm 28 this year, and have been collecting (even playing) with toys for pretty much my whole life! I've never once considered my "hobby" to be sad, strange, or anything else than fun and cool. Everyone who knows me knows how I feel about it, and I'm pretty sure most of them don't think twice! In fact I've even had girls (HOT girls, even!;) ) try to use their knowledge, however broad, of Star Wars (or toys, or any of my other hobbies) to make small talk, flirt with me, or just get to know me! With Star Wars especially, I've found that people who know I'm a fan will use that to break the ice, and use it as a way of associating with me; probably because so many people relate to Star Wars, and really associate with it. I've even come to realize that when people know that I'm a fan and make a point to state their distaste, or unfamiliarity with Star Wars that it's realy just their way of asking me to convince or inform them otherwise. Why else would someone bother to comment on the matter?;) Nobody's opinion about me has ever counted more than my own. I'm a firm believer that "cool" is just a state of mind. For me Star Wars is the COOLEST!:D

JetsAndHeels
05-02-2002, 08:34 AM
As long as there is alot of money to be made, I dont think we have to worry about this line dying out. Now if after EPIII it dies out and the demand is not as high, Hasbro may limit what they produce to cut costs, but I dont ever see this toy line ending anytime soon.

broctoon
05-02-2002, 09:46 AM
This deviates a bit from the "when will the line end" theme going, but I did once experience "collector's guilt," and it led to "collector's quit." It was a about a year and a half a ago when I moved out of my parent's house for the first time. I had been an avid collector since the line restarted in '95. I had every figure they put out carded, hanging on my bedroom walls. When I moved out I figured that I needed to be saving my money for more important things, and that I wanted a "big boy" apartment, so I tried quitting cold turkey. I didn't even bring any of my stuff with me, leaving all but a few loose things to my new place. And let me tell you, it was mighty hard to resist making stops at the Toys R Us that I pass on the way home from work. It just didn't feel right. Over time I realized I was denying who I was. I was trying not to collect so that others would not think I was "crazy" or had a "sickness." I started bringing more and more stuff over from my parents, and then it happened. One day last summer I decided to stop into a Toys R Us while I was out and about with my new girlfriend. What I saw in the figure isle I could not resist buying, it was the Ellors Madack fan choice figure. It started with that one figure that I thought was sooo cool. After that day I went back and hunted down the 90% of the Power of the Jedi line that I had missed out on. Now I can proudly say that I once again have a "crazy, geeky" Star Wars bedroom, and posses complete collections of the Power of the Force line, Power of the Jedi line and have all the current Saga figures (including the Dooku my friend found for me yesterday!). I feel much more at home now when I walk into my bedroom and am surrounded by all my current favorite pieces (no room for hanging every figure anymore).

So the moral of the story is, don't ever try to deny something you love just to try to please others (who may have way more problems than being addicted to buying Star Wars figures).

As for the line ending- I am in agreement with those that said we have another eight or so years to look forward to. I'm sure there will be some lulls in there where nothing really seems to be coming out, but we will just have to be patient. And after that, hopefully I will have a house by then complete with a toy room to display EVERYTHING. :)

he-ro
05-02-2002, 12:57 PM
After the SW hype wears off (probably in 10 years) , I will move on to another toy line. It's the nature of the beast.

evenflow
05-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Sorry, nope. No guilt.

eliwankenobi
05-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey Forhekset, that sounds like my method too...
"Hey Hunny, check out these sweet Clone Troopers I got! And I just happened to pick up some chocolate covered strawberries too!!"