PDA

View Full Version : How Do I remove the Sticker Residue?

dilster
04-30-2002, 01:40 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering how can i remove the sticker residue on the back of the card. I hate it when the store i buy my figures from paste a price tag on the card itself.

Thanks.

Rogue II
04-30-2002, 07:10 AM
WD-40 works. It will loosen up that gooey sticker stuff.

jedi_uk73
04-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Parafin or White Spirit also works. use small amounts at a time though.

asiandoood
04-30-2002, 03:47 PM
I use a hair dryer to take off the sticker...it usually doesnt leave residue.

sjg
04-30-2002, 08:13 PM
For small price tags, peel off as much of the sticker as you can in 1 piece. Peel off all the paper you can, without tearing the card. Use the peeled piece of sticker, some of which contains the sticky glue still, and press down those peeled, sticky areas onto the sticky residue on the card. The sticky glue on the card will adhere to the sticky area of the peeled sticker. You can safely press the peeled sticker onto the card, lifting the sticky residue and not affecting the card.

If the card has a magnetic security sticker (which usually have red metalic lines in the large sticker, DO NOT try to peel it off. Use a hairdryer to "melt" or soften the glue holding it on, and then safely pull it off the card.

SJG

force
05-01-2002, 09:40 AM
I've never tried a hair dryer, so thanks.

I'll usually use my Leatherman Knife, or use a razor, to lift one edge of the sticker and then flip my knife around to the needle nose plies end and use the pliers to get a firm grasp of the sticker an roll it back. Usually, there is only slight stick residue left and I blot it off with the peeled sticker.

I did try rubbing alcohol on couple hard to remove stickers once but this will eventually tarnish the ink on the package.

Does WD40 leave an oily residue???

SirSteve
05-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Goo Gone or Un-Du

JrJedi
05-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Goo Gone. Used it many times. Buy it at Walmart. Wet a corner of a paper towel with the Goo Gone. Dab the sticker a bit, wait one or two minutes, peel and wipe clean. Never know the sticker was there.

TeeEye7
05-02-2002, 07:16 AM
Another vote for Goo Gone. Works quickly and doesn't harm the card or bubble. Target also carries it.

QLD
05-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Goo Gone is great stuff. I was introduced to it at a video game store I used to work at. All the morons who put stickers all over their game systems and then want to sell them. Works like a charm!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by force
I did try rubbing alcohol on couple hard to remove stickers once but this will eventually tarnish the ink on the package.

Funny, I've always used alcohol and it's never left a tarnish or discoloration. Perhaps it's the amount used. I lightly dampen a Q-tip with it and rub slightly over the residue, then wipe off. Never a problem. Plus the stuff is really cheap (but don't mix it with orange juice :)).

Turbowars
05-04-2002, 06:08 PM
WARNING!!! Do not use WD-40 or alcolhol it will damage the colors on the card. The only SAFE way is to use a hair dryer and if theres anything left, then use the GOO GONE or a a little mineral oil/baby oil. I have used this method many times and hasn't failed me yet. The Hair dryer also works great to get those huge Japanese sticker off from the back of the card. Hope this helps, Matt (Turbo)

acidious
05-05-2002, 02:43 AM
Hey, here in the boonies of VA, we use this stuff called lighter fluid. It's always around for barbeques and stuff. I used it on a few ST figs back about ten years ago, and, lemme check........ NOPE!, not a blemish one. $.99 for a lifetime supply! Works great on a cloth to remove foreign substances, finger goo, and excess sticky from previously peeled stickers. Just let it evaporate completely before playing with any fire or recreating any explosive podrace moments!!

Obi-Don
05-06-2002, 12:08 AM
I like the hair dryer method but I haven't heard of GOO Gone. Thanks all I will give it a try to.