PDA

View Full Version : Still not amused by the new lightsaber sculpt/style



2-1B
04-30-2002, 02:34 AM
Alright, I'm trying to be creative in my displays tonight by having various Jedi face each other in battle. And I must say this new flashy effect at the base of the new lightsaber blades is not working for me. POTJ Old Ben is going up against AOTC Nikto, and while Ben has a nice, clean blade Nikto has this fuzzyness at the bottom of his lightsaber. :mad:

What gives? Why did they do this? If the answer is that they were trying to capture the look of an igniting lightsaber, I'll say "nice try but I don't want to pose my figures with 'igniting' lightsabers . . . what's wrong with an ignited lightsaber?"

*sigh* What say you all? Does this irritate you or is it negligible? Or do you actually like it?
I was skeptical from the online pics, and now that I have a few Jedi figures I just don't like it.

:)

LTBasker
04-30-2002, 02:43 AM
Very much, it's not even what it looks like when igniting a lightsaber - unless you are bashing it against a wall while igniting. :rolleyes:

I noticed HD Anakin's 2 lightsabers and Dooku's lightsaber don't have as bad of the energy blasts as others do, but I wish they'd take them away. They said "they're supposed to capture the light better" well bull to that, cause all it does is make it an eyesore. The energy blasts are understandable on lightsaber ricochets, "exploding" parts, or firing guns, but not on lightsabers. It's not like they need the effects so the blade can host the removeable blade feature - Soft Goods Darth Maul's removeable blade worked fine.

Wolfwood319
04-30-2002, 03:19 AM
I kind of like them. It gives the blades a little more personality, rather than being a long and flat, it has more of an "action" feel to it.

That's just my opinion though, I see why people don't like them.

BlahBlahBlah
04-30-2002, 05:59 AM
I like 'em too. I didn't think it was possible to add detail to a saber blade, but they did, and it looks great, IMO.

CrossWizard
04-30-2002, 06:41 AM
I like them as well, they add a nice detail to the blade, plus I rather have a lively, force looking lightsaber than a flat plastic, colored tube.

JEDIpartner
04-30-2002, 08:00 AM
I think they stink. No, I'm not talking about "I sniffed it" like Tycho :rolleyes:. I think they look terrible. It looks like sloppily moulded plastic and is just plain wrong. I don't they "catch the light" any better than the old ones. Oh, well...

pthfnder89
04-30-2002, 09:58 AM
I think they look really good. I'm glad they finally redesigned them, considering how many figures in the AOTC line are Jedis.

I do dislke the fact that I can't display them with my earlier klightsabers though, because they just look wrong.:(

Dryanta
04-30-2002, 10:02 AM
I like the EFFORT of trying to make them better.Still a little undecided if I like the result of the effort.

skyywalkerr
04-30-2002, 04:20 PM
<SIGH> I guess we are just never destined to be satisfied...no matter what Hasbro does, we will find something wrong with it. Well, some of us. There are some of us who have other things to be concerned with, but what do we know?

Unit-01
04-30-2002, 04:26 PM
It's kinda better than a big outer white ring/glow around it. Wait that would be cool.

RooJay
04-30-2002, 05:19 PM
I didn't think I'd like them at first, but I have to admit to having changed my mind once I saw them. I think they look great! I love the way they help to convey the sense that the blades are made of energy and don't just look like some featurless plastic rod.

2-1B
05-01-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by skyywalkerr
<SIGH> I guess we are just never destined to be satisfied...no matter what Hasbro does, we will find something wrong with it. Well, some of us. There are some of us who have other things to be concerned with, but what do we know?

<SIGH> And I guess I'm one of those who does not have other things to be concerned with???
I enjoy this as a hobby, a form of escapism from "other things".
Do you care to clarify your thoughts on this aspect of the new line?


Thanks to everyone for posting their opinions. :) Wolfy, CrossWizard, and others - I do see your point about the sabers having a "livelier" feel to them, I guess I would just prefer an all-or-nothing approach. Just not a little bit at the base. :D

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 02:25 AM
I think if the effect ran up the whole blade, it would really not look good. Now, if they could make those tiny sabers actually light up, that would be cool.

mark2d2
05-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Personally, I thought they looked great as well. Certainly better than the old ones.

It's funny though. If Hasbro somehow did the impossible and came up with actual mini REAL WORKING lightsabers -- I mean that actually worked and behaved exactly how their onscreen counterparts do in the Star Wars Universe, then people would just ***** about how these absolutely unprecedented and amazing contraptions (we're talking real lasers here!) only messed up the continuity of the line because now they couldn't display their Episode I PloKoon with the new figures . . .

Seriously, you gotta wonder sometimes why Hasbro even bothers.

PS -- I can't believe that a certain word that rhymes with ditch is deemed Obscene by these boards. Come on, they've been saying that on network TV since the early 80s.

leenovak
05-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Personally I like the effect, but really? How much personality can you put into a two inch long little colored plastic rod? I can't think of anything else hasbro could have really done to update the lightsaber look.

Except maybe find a way to make them actually hum....now that would be cool! :)

jedi master sal
05-01-2002, 11:19 AM
I'm kinda wishy washy about the whole saber thing. On one hand it does give it more life on the other, nowhere in the movies do we CLEARLY see the sabers doing this all the time.

as for the B-word. Just because network television does let it go by doesn't mean it's right. We have a moral obligation to our younger members and they should not be subject to vulgar language (however timid it may see to others) If more people took responsibility then this great nation and indeed the world would be a better place. The decline of civilization occurs when people become tolerant of abnormal behavior. So if a word is edited or deleted just think about it in the context of would you say that to a kid, minister, grandparent. (If so you my want to rethink your level of maturity)

We can all have fun here talking about our favorite subject without it becoming a den for bad behavior.

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox, now back to the topic of lightsabers!

2-1B
05-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Personally, I thought they looked great as well. Certainly better than the old ones.

It's funny though. If Hasbro somehow did the impossible and came up with actual mini REAL WORKING lightsabers -- I mean that actually worked and behaved exactly how their onscreen counterparts do in the Star Wars Universe, then people would just ***** about how these absolutely unprecedented and amazing contraptions (we're talking real lasers here!) only messed up the continuity of the line because now they couldn't display their Episode I PloKoon with the new figures . . .

Seriously, you gotta wonder sometimes why Hasbro even bothers.


I feel the same way about people who complain about Ewoks and Jar Jar ;)

Hasbro "bothers" to make a profit. They just aren't making as much a profit off of me lately. :D

RooJay
05-02-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
It's funny though. If Hasbro somehow did the impossible and came up with actual mini REAL WORKING lightsabers -- I mean that actually worked and behaved exactly how their onscreen counterparts do in the Star Wars Universe, then people would just ***** about how these absolutely unprecedented and amazing contraptions (we're talking real lasers here!) only messed up the continuity of the line because now they couldn't display their Episode I PloKoon with the new figures . . .

True, true.

Originally posted by jedi master sal
as for the B-word. Just because network television does let it go by doesn't mean it's right. We have a moral obligation to our younger members and they should not be subject to vulgar language (however timid it may see to others) If more people took responsibility then this great nation and indeed the world would be a better place. The decline of civilization occurs when people become tolerant of abnormal behavior. So if a word is edited or deleted just think about it in the context of would you say that to a kid, minister, grandparent. (If so you my want to rethink your level of maturity)
Amen, brotha!

Originally posted by Caesar
I feel the same way about people who complain about Ewoks and Jar Jar ;)
...and WELL SAID!;)