PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the AOTC Figures?

Tycho
04-30-2002, 05:36 AM
Things are hopping along here after this past week's huge toy release and the forums are alive with people discussing every aspect of each and every figure.

This poll is the 4th one to result from Midnight Madness and is intended to be more of an overall general survey of the you guys, the fans' reactions, to all the new action figures we just saw released.

Continue discussing the very specific aspects of each character you would love to commend or critique in the Hasbro Toys Saga Section, but vote here so we can get an overall "guesstimate" of the sentiment out there.

Keep in mind that our final poll will ask you to choose just ONE specific favorite figure, so save that discussion for tomorrow.

Hopefully we will then have covered every aspect of the Great 2002 Movie Year's Toy Release, because the focus of our poll topics will need to move on with the Celebration II festivities starting this week, and the movie's release just around the corner (17 days from the time of this posting!)

So let's enjoy talking about our big toy shopping experience while we can - and it's fresh in our heads.

This is the first time that "action features" like the magnetic Force and the quick-draw or really-firing weapons have been used on Star Wars figures, as well as the add-on blast effects / lightsaber deflections. - and now you have them at your retailers or already loose in your collections!

With that in mind, what do you think of the new AOTC figures?

dirtybones
04-30-2002, 09:21 AM
I love them!!!!!

rdrunr89
04-30-2002, 09:31 AM
I like the figures and think they look great, I just don't like all the little **** like the magnets, the stuck poses, and the extra features like Anakin's spinning wrist (which doesn't work too well to begin with), or the 1977 lightsaber slid into the other Anakin's arm. Too much customizing to do now to get the figures the way they should be.

Vortex
04-30-2002, 09:53 AM
I think some are rather cool and interesting, and I'm sure the play value for kids is up there, but I'm a little disapointed with the figures faces, mainly the Obi-Wans, and Padme figures.

I thought they were using that true-scan for faces and making the figures more real. I don't think they resemble them all that close.

Like on padme, both of them don't have a mole, her face is to narrow and it doesn't look quite right.

But they are neat, and some of the gimics are sort of cool. I wish the old figures had some of these options. My play times would have been more interesting as a kid.

Jedi Indy
04-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Enough with pre-posed positions and wide leg stances already!

brentfett
04-30-2002, 11:27 AM
I am overall pleased with the new figures. The gimmicks, and you all know what I mean, must go though. They ruin the durability of the figures. The new lower price is great as well!

Doikk
04-30-2002, 11:37 AM
I like the new lightsaber look - metal handles and all.

Also, the translucent plastic addons (i.e. force effects, etc..) are really nice for poses.

I have always loved figures with helmets, too. Jango and Boba w/ helmets = big plus for me.

Not really too big on the action features that are directly incorporated into the figures, tho. Like having a wheel on the back of Anakin, etc... I think it detracts from the figure, IMO.

And of course Yoda with a midget-lightsaber... who could pass on that?

Mandalorian Candidat
04-30-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm more impressed with these figures than I was with POTJ (what a crappy line that was!), mainly because of the better articulation and the little extras. I think Hasbro is finally listening to the collectors and adding in the articulation we want.

The main gripe I still have is all the one-pose wonder Jedi Masters. How many Jedi do we need that can't move a whole heck of a lot?

sith_killer_99
04-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Pre-posed figures (wide stances) + Stupid gimmicks + Cheap quality plastic = DISAPOINTMENT!!!

I do like many of the sculpts and a few features, lightsabers with removable blades, holsters with removable guns. But these are features that we saw in the POTJ line!

Overall, THIS line has had nothing new to offer, other than new characters, that IMPROVES upon the old POTJ line.

So, I must say that I am unhappy with the direction this new Blue Card line is taking.:mad:

Honestly, I was MUCH more impressed with POTJ! At least with that line my only complaints dealt with limited articulation.:(

Now, I am unhappy about:

Stupid wheels sticking out of a figures back
Stupid swinging arm action
Stupid over-posed figures
Stupid magnets
Stupid insert cards

I will be SOOOO thankful when Hasbro stops all this cr@p. STUPID gimmicks.

the last jedi
04-30-2002, 12:24 PM
what can I say WOW! The metal Lightsaber Number 1 ideal, great job. the peices are great and the count Dooku was the best to me. the force action was a great new ideal. Please stay with the metal sabers even if you get rid of the force action. great job Hasbro.

2-1B
04-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Disappointed sir, with a few exceptions. I don't feel the desire to buy most of them, so that doesn't say much for me about the entire line. :(

iceberg7673
04-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Of the figures I've found so far, I've been pretty impressed with the detail, but I have to agree that some of the stars' likenesses are oddly off considering that Gentle Giant did digital scans of the actors.

I really like the changeable lightsaber blades and effects, but I'm disappointed that they didn't retain the 'hanging on the belt' pegs for when they're off. The Kit Fisto figure even has a hole in his belt for that feature, but none of the sabers have a way to hang.

My biggest gripe, however, has to be that a lot of the figures have ceased to be 'action' figures. Static poses, and few options for posing (the Clonetrooper is a nice exception, and has articulation that I'd like to see included on future figures). I like detail and I like sculpting, but I most like to be able to play with my toys. Perhaps Habro could move to a system like 21st Century does with their newest WWII figures: A nicely sculpted set of arms for posing, and a set of GI Joe-style arms for play, along with aritculated hips, knees, and ankles?

c_richards
04-30-2002, 01:15 PM
I love the new figures. The sculpt on them is great especially for a 3 & 3/4" figure. The ability to put on blaster "bolts" or other action features is a great addition to play value.

One of my favorite innovations was the making of metal lightsaber hilts, and putting magnets in the hands of the Jedi so their lightsabers will "jump" into their hands! Finally we also get a Yoda with a lightsaber! Let's face it, Yoda is a great character, and now that he has a lightsaber, you can make him get mideivel on Count Dooku, or the Trade Federation!

Jango Fett looks great, and the attention to detail on his armor, and even the removable helmet is too cool!

I don't have the Royal Guard, Taun We, or Luminara yet, but I am sure they look excellent as well!

HH and MTFBWY

LusiferSam
04-30-2002, 01:46 PM
As a over all, it was about what I was expecting. About half the figures are great, the other half needs improvement. Like the Genonsain warrior and Zam Wessell are pretty good. Both have great sculpting and Zam's magnet works great along with her arm. But Hangar duel Anakin sucks. The magnet is too weak and the wheel (on my) stop works first thing. The "force effects" bother me a little but not enough to get me heated. But the pre-posed figures have me a bit heated.

Fede-Wan
04-30-2002, 02:02 PM
It's great all the blaster effects, and that the saber's blade are dettachable, but the action FX are wrong. And some of the sculpts are bad too. I should be able to make Obi-Wan hold his lightsaber with both hands.

I'm really dissapointed.

mrmiller
04-30-2002, 03:39 PM
I love the figures. I think they look good, and have nice playable features. But I do not like all the blast effect crap. What's up with that? The force effects are the worst. Plo Koon shoots a spider-man web, and Nikto has a nice twirly windmill. Nice.

=MATT=

JediTricks
04-30-2002, 04:09 PM
I chose "what I expected" but that's because I didn't expect much. Many of the gimmicks are more annoying than entertaining, and both the gimmicks and the preposed nature get in the way of play and display. Far too many of the figures are preposed, which is annoying even with the nearly-worthless added articulation Hasbro added to make up for this.

But the one area I'm really disappointed in is paint, the paint is mostly a mess, and those that avoided being messy are bland.

Finally, while I love the new metal lightsaber handles, the paint on my Obi-Wan handle is coming off really fast. I kinda like the magnetic gimmicks on Ani OPD and Obi-Wan, but the magnets aren't strong enough and aren't hidden enough. The magnets in the hands of Deluxe Mace and Kit Fisto are WAY too weak, they barely hold the sabers in their hands!

RebelHawk
04-30-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi! I'm new.

I think some of the figures are very cool (the Threepio, Jango, Boba, Capt. Typho, the Geonosian Warrior) but I would have 1., preferred the first Anakin Skywalker figure in his Padawan outfit, 2. would have preferred Padme in the white outfit in nut such an outrageous pose, and 3. would have liked Obi-Wan to be able to grip his lightsaber with both hands.

So, the secondary characters are great, the main characters are not so great.

mark2d2
04-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Yikes! I guess only a handful of us are having fun with these figs. I'm being choosey this time around as I suffer from Collector's Burnout, but I've really thought that the one's I have picked up . . . All Five . . . Have been pretty dang cool.

R3-T7. What a Preview! This little guy is well done and I've been clamouring for a Clear Domed Astro Droid from day one. I even like his blue electro effect, but then I enjoy its zany sense of fun.

I give them a big Kudos for even attempting the Threepio figure and I think it's pretty darn cool despite the slightly excessive bulk --- a very forgivable flaw due to the difficulties in creating such a figure. I can't stop playing with this guy . . .

The updated "blinking" light, added ankle articulation as well as a spiffy and drastically improved new paint job all make the new R2-D2 a must have IMOP. Everybody keeps going it's just a lame rehash of the FX figure, but REALLY it's so much more than that. The Blinking light alone makes me smile.

The Female Tuskin looks just great. I love the design of this gal. Even though she really is a one pose wonder. Of them all, I like this purchase the least, but I'm still glad I found her.

Anakin with his Dreaded and much despised retractable light saber is a fun nod back to the vintage days in 1977. And the force effect work great on mine. That computer consol sure is sharp. Take off the lame cape and the vest in nicely detailed.

In conclusion, I haven't had any problems with paint jobs. (And in the past this was definitely a very real problem . . . ) I looked over all my figures carefully --- but with only one exception (C3-P0) the very first figure I picked up wound up being the one I bought.

Maybe it's just me, but why do some of you even bother collecting the toys? You hate this! You hate that! I dunno . . . when this hobby stops being fun for me, I'm just going to stop collecting. Many of you seem like you really could use a break.

jrviking07
04-30-2002, 06:19 PM
I love the new figures. I think that the jango fetts are awesome and the metal lightsabers and the force action is sweet. the only thing I don't like is on figures like plo koon where my force thing doesn't fit in his hand. maybe other peoples do but mine is hard to fit in the hand and he doesn't stand but that is it. I love this line. i agree with Mark2d2 on the collectors kind of whining.

yngadult
04-30-2002, 06:20 PM
The AOTC line was dissapointing. I display my carded figures and the new packaging is inconsistent with the previous line; Padme's arm that pops up seems to be restricted to that pose unless you keep her waist twisted. The wheel on the back of another figure detracts from its realism; Sadly, Jar Jar is back again. Hasn't Hasbro learned from Ep one that Jar Jar is a peg warmer? I'd rather have more Royal Guards instead, especially since they have legs now! Good job Hasbro. Another plus for Hasbro is Jango Fett. I like his removable helmet and holsters that actually hold his weapons. I wish we'd see more functional holsters in other figures; I do not favor wide stances at all, nor do I like those add on F/X blasts.
My personal preference is to stick with human like figures, or, ones that look cool. Some of the Jedi's and other creatures are too unappealing. I've passed up many a Taun We or Geonosian Warrior because I simply didn't like them. In fact of all the 27 figures released, I had a chance to buy them all, but, only walked away with six: Clone Trooper, Amidala, Jango Fett, Captain Typhoo, Royal Guard and Count Dooku. The plus is I'll save a lot of money. I project we're going to have quite a few peg warmers again.
One last crticism is with the variations of the same figure. What a marketing ploy! For example, Jango Fett came out in the Sneak Preview and he'll be out later. I will only buy the most functional and realistic of the three and take back the rest. Hard core collectors will buy them all and keep buying whatever variation Hasbro puts out. The key is knowing how many consumers will actually do that. Right now, there are a lot of him sitting on shelves which is surprising. I don't think he'll have the following Boba Fett did.
My suggestion is to stick with the cool looking figures and produce enough of them. Two Royal Guards per case is insufficient. If collectors want diversity, they can get the Taun We's and weird Jedi's off the Fan Club. Hasbro can produce a few just for those collectors. Finally, enough of those variations. Keep it up and Hasbro will continue to operate at a loss as that marketing ploy will backfire due to insufficient demand. The consumer is smarter than you think. Thanks for reading and happy shopping.

c_richards
04-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by yngadult
My suggestion is to stick with the cool looking figures and produce enough of them. Two Royal Guards per case is insufficient. If collectors want diversity, they can get the Taun We's and weird Jedi's off the Fan Club. Hasbro can produce a few just for those collectors. Finally, enough of those variations. Keep it up and Hasbro will continue to operate at a loss as that marketing ploy will backfire due to insufficient demand. The consumer is smarter than you think. Thanks for reading and happy shopping.

Why bother then? I'm sorry yngadult, but to many of us that are "completests" the thought of paying $7.99 plus shipping and then top it off with having to wait for the thing to come either by USPS or UPS defeats the purpose of collecting! I will use internet sites and buy from them, but only when I know I can't find what I want in the stores. To say that only human figures should be made is taking a large componant out of the STAR WARS universe.

I disagree with your suggestion and hope that Hasbro will continue to make many many fine figures. Let's face it, sure Jar Jar is an annoying pest, and a highly potential peg-warmer, but I would still want to have Senator Jar Jar then to find out the figure was scrapped due to lack of interest.

Sure Hasbro can't appease everyone, but they try! All the variations make collecting figures so much better in my view! I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to get a Stormtrooper with a blast mark on him, and Hasbro produced the Comm-Tech ST. I have also wanted a Palpatine that sat in his throne, and thanks to the Cinema Scenes line, we got "Final Jedi Duel" with Vader, Luke and Palpatine!

Your idea while it may appeal to a small group does not speak for the vast majority. I'm not claiming mine does either for that matter, however, I would much rather see Hasbro produce and distrubte a lot of figures evenly, versus limited quantities of a few figures because it makes my life a lot more entertaining to hunt!

However, I agree with a lot of people in thinking the background card idea was a waste. In my view, either do the entire like like this so you can build a diorama, or don't do it at all! This business of some with, and some without is a bit rediculous!

HH and MTFBWY!

Tycho
04-30-2002, 09:15 PM
I just wanted to make a note for Jango Fett fans :

There are a lot of him on the racks because he IS a high demand figure and Hasbro shipped him 4 per case! Smart on their part, or Jango would have been Episode 2's "Darth Maul."

(this doesn't apply to Count Dooku or Yoda because they will be available in larger quantities later. It was just a limited amount of the next case got out earlier than Hasbro originally anticipated, because they wanted to try and make as many figures as possible available early on...)

Anyway, the case breakdown is something like:

1) Padme
1) C-3PO
2) SuperDroids
1) Kit Fisto
2) Jango Fetts
2) Obi-Wans
2) Anakins
1) R2D2

Don't hold me to that. Thrawn or Steve have it posted in the case assortment section.

But to further an answer about the inevitable Jango Fett resculpts: for those of us doing dioramas, it would be nice to have a different Fett figure to use in different scenes, versus buying a whole ton of 1 particular sculpt.

Finally, of course he uses different weapons during different times in the movie, but he also wears a different backback on Geonosis, than he uses on Kamino.

The Arena Battle Jango (with Flame-Thrower) and the Deluxe Jango are from Geonosis.

Sneak Peak and Kamino, are from Kamino. (just when you never would have guessed that....) :D

bigbarada
04-30-2002, 09:16 PM
When I saw the proto pics I didn't really like them; so I planned to buy only a select few which is what I did. If anything a few of the figures have exceeded my expectations.

However, since I only saw two figures I really liked on 23 April, I picked "what I expected."

Wolfwood319
04-30-2002, 09:44 PM
At first, I didn't like most of them. Then as we saw pics of later waves, I liked them more. However, now that I have many of them, a lot of my faves are those that I didn't think I'd like. One of my favorites is Padme, which I didn't even plan on getting until I saw it on the pegs.

Overall, I'm impressed by 75-80% of the line. I like a couple of the action features, and overall, I like the line so far.

plo koon 200
04-30-2002, 10:54 PM
I choose what I expected and I was expecting them not to be as good as POTJ. Honestly, the only good thing which doesn't matter what so ever was the balst effects and some of them like Mace's and Plo Koon's were not that good. POTJ was much better. It offered much better sculpts and the figures looked like they came from the movie. Play features honestly kill the figure and like I said I don't think those blast effect things need to come with every figure. I mean come on with a New Hope we get a Dejus Phur with a blast effect when the only person with a blast thingy like on R3-T7 we need is for an R2-D2 that gets shot by a Jawa. I liked BoShek more in the fact he came without blast effects. Blast effects are good but as I said a million times are over done. Play features have to go.

darkhawk411
05-01-2002, 12:58 AM
I'm really impressed with the new figures, especially the new Jedi (what can I say, I'm a sucker for new Jedi). I like the new force actions and effects that they come with, and the metal lightsabers are a great touch. Unlike alot of people obviously, I don't have any trouble with my HD Anakin. The play features are great, they add fun to the line in my opinion. As much as we as collectors love these figures, Hasbro is trying to appease both us and the kids who do alot to support the line, most of the figures of lesser known characters are the ones that become peg warmers (unless there made in smaller #s that make them impossible to find).

CaptainSolo1138
05-01-2002, 02:09 AM
Though the figures meet and/or match my expectations, the one thing I noticed on all the figures (previews included) is the incredibly cheap plastic Hasbro used on the accessories. It's difficult to get the figures to hold their weapons right because the guns bend instead of going into their hands! I had a hard time putting Captain Typho's gun in it's "holster" cause the peg isn't strong enough to be shoved into the hole. And I won't even talk about Anakin's telescoping lightsaber. I appreciate Hasbro kickin' it back to the Kenner days, but it kinda looks goofy. And what's the deal with the Clone Trooper's rock? Enough hate. I'm overall happy with these toys. Slave 1 rocks. Luminara is a sweet figure. Hanger dual Anakin is awesome. And Natalie Portman in a belly shirt! Can't wait for Luke and Leia's conception Padme!

Tycho
05-01-2002, 02:22 AM
and they will HAVE to do that Padme.

Think about it. How can Luke and Leia be born if Padme isn't already 7-9 months pregnant BEFORE the fictional time that marks the start of the Episode 3 movie.

In other words, she will have to be pregnant almost the entire time of the whole movie, or the kids will have to be born close to the beginning of the movie which I haven't seen speculated on before. But please do that in the FILMS / E3 Spoiler section. (Try the Mace's Death Thread - it is the secret speculative plot to E3 - based on a LOT of E2 spoilers though, so be forewarned).

I merely brought this up, because the chances of having a pregnant Padme figure are really good. (Not that it's a personal desire of mine). It is just logical continuity, and pregancy is not a twisted, taboo thing - and it IS something that's very important to SW, or no Luke and Leia could be born.

Figurestasher
05-01-2002, 03:07 AM
The new EP2 figures seem cool. It looks like the ones still to come out like Bespin Luke and Vader will be better. I like the R2-D2 because of the button that makes him talk and light up. They should have made all the jedi's saber's light up with a press of a button on their body.

However I do not like Padme's shoulder where you can see the circle indent and all that clear plastic force effect stuff in most of the blister packs.

plo kloon
05-01-2002, 04:45 AM
I think the figures are great!! The only think I don't like is the wide stance>Why can't hasbro make them all with joints in the knees or include display stands with them.Most of them are to hard to display.They almost always fall over and then you have a domino effect.I do like the metal sabers and the add ons!!

David Denny
05-01-2002, 05:52 AM
Frist i would have to say its STAR WARS so i will buy it any way now with that said the new blue package looks good the figures to me all look good i do love that the figures now are numbered
that to me great in collecting
now for what hate and i do mean hate is that E2 AOTC dont have a set just by them self i do want the other figures
just not in the same set E2 should have a card for its self
and if hasbro wants to put something with the figures like they started to with the backgrounds the should bring back coins or the freeze frames that
is something worth collecting by them self
also hasbro should look at the GIJoe line with joints so figures can move and not have 1 pose but on the other handi dont play with mine or open mine and the way the look in the package looks better thay the GIJoes and i thank hasbro knows a lot of people do collect them in the package

underdog25
05-01-2002, 09:12 PM
I like all the gadgets and gizmos BUT they are get old quick. Remember when you played with the 3 3/4" GI Joes when you were a kid? They were great and could do alot with all the joints. Hasbro needs to make them more like that.

Z28Johnny
05-02-2002, 09:53 AM
I love all my starwars figures, but I'm disapointed that I like them in the package better than I like them opened. I bought 2 of almost every figure, one for the starwars room wall to hang and one to playwith. Anakins arm will NOT stay on him if I move him even one inch (does he get is chopped off in the movie or something?) and his spinning wrist is not impressive, not most impressive. Nikto's blade won't stay in his handle, the clone troopers foot pad is made the oposite direction as the illustration on the package shows it should be. Don't get me wrong I love the way they look, but I want a figure that can be played with and move around. Dooku is almost okay with his swinging action, but I'd rather be able to pose him as I please. Hasbro needs to take some hints from GI Joe. My Starwars lego figures have more movement than my Hasbro figures. And to end on a positive note, I love R2's new push button sounds and flashing light. I use it so much I'm afraid the battery will die soon.

c_richards
05-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by underdog25
I like all the gadgets and gizmos BUT they are get old quick. Remember when you played with the 3 3/4" GI Joes when you were a kid? They were great and could do alot with all the joints. Hasbro needs to make them more like that.

Underdog25

That's a great idea. At least Hasbro has made a FEW of the POTJ figures like that. I want to see more like that too. I would keep the solid body, but the hip, knee (ankle maybe...or is that more for like 6" and up figures), elbows, forearms shoulders, and neck joints would be sick in my opinion!

Like many others here, I liked the homage to the '77 - 85 line, but it just doesn't seem to fit in figures that are supposed to be so "advanced". Don't get me wrong, I loved the retro saber gimmick, but the metal sabers with detachable blades just seem to be so much better in my opinion!

I have to congratulate Lego in making some of the finest sets to date! I have almost all the SW Legos, and until Jango's Slave I was released, I thought Boba's Slave I was a tight ship, Once Jango's came out....I realized how much better a set it was. Besides being larger, having more weapons, and a cool Lego Jango and Boba kid, it was sweet to see how well thought out the set was, all the close attention paid to details, and just the overall look and feel of the ship was right on!

I plan to get the Republic Gunship next. The thought of this ship makes me want to run out and buy it..but I need to conserve some $$$$ right now! :)

It will be mine....oh yes....it WILL be mine!

HH and MTFBWY

Tonysmo
05-02-2002, 04:51 PM
seems like we all have the same suggestion for Hasbro to take up makin the figures more articulate like the G.I. Joe line.
I agree with it as well.
I think this should be a question added to the other questions Tycho takes to the convention tomorrow when he has a chance to speak to the Hasbro reps. Not to add more to your plate than you already have Tycho :)
One thing should be noted though, as there is a new GI JOE flick coming out soon, and newer Joes are being released. They remind me of the POF line, all bulked up a bit more than normal, they are a bit different than the old line of Joes were all used to..

I can recall a few years back, they released a set of "throw back" Joes. most of the originals were included.. I saw them doing the same with the He-Man line as well..
I think it would be a great thing if they were to release some of the originals again for Star Wars... they could even include more treasures like Jawas with plastic capes...

Justa thought...

bigbarada
05-04-2002, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure about that idea, Tonysmo. Kenner re-released four of them as TRU exclusives back in 1995 and I must say, they only served to make the crappy POTF2 first waves look that much better. Especially with the dull, low quality plastics they use nowadays.

Tonysmo
05-06-2002, 10:25 AM
I dont remember seeing those, but Im sure your right on.

I did have a chance to question those guys from Hasbro at the convention, and asked what they couldnt create the figures like the GI Joe Line.

To my surprise, they answered with - Its all in the money.

They said they owned the rights to the GI Joe line, and can create, and "spend the extra money" it takes to build them with all the playable features. Since Lucas owns the rights to the starwars line, he can choose to spend less to create the a base figure...

I thought that was a pretty interesting tidbit.