PDA

View Full Version : Checkout Courtesy

JetsAndHeels
04-30-2002, 01:36 PM
Ok, I started this thread to see if anyone else is having this problem. You go into WM, Target, TRU, etc. You pick out the figures you want (w/the paint job, packaging you want etc), then you go up front to check out.
Now, if you are like me, you like to keep one of each figure carded. You like to keep the card and bubble in mint condition.
The problem comes in when you hand the merchandise to the cashier and he/she scans it and throws it down into the bag, denting the card or bubble. They throw YOUR stuff around like its nothing. By the time you get home your stuff is creased or dented, leaving you very angry and dissappointed.
This has happened to me a few times, but since then I have become more aggressive with cashiers. While in line, I observe how the employee handles and bags other peoples' stuff, then I decide if I want to remain in that line.
The reason I bring this up is basically if we are spending our hard earned time and money to buy these, and we collect them, dont we have the right to have them handled properly? When I went to my WM on the 23rd, a fellow collector in front of me had about $300 worth of toys thrown around and crammed into a bag. He had this look on his face that showed his anger.
So has anyone else had this problem? What do you do when the employee has such a lack of respect for your stuff?

bobafett07728
04-30-2002, 01:43 PM
I've had that problem a few times as well.

If I see that a checkout clerk isn't taking care of the customers purchases than I tell that individual that I will bag my merchandise.

Most of the time they are more than happy to let me do it (they seem to enjoy not having to "work"), and if they refuse, I ask them to handle my figures with care.

Yeah. . .we shouldn't have to ask. . .but its one of the many things us collectors go through at these wonderful retail chains. Until we stop collecting. . .we'll have to deal with it.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-30-2002, 01:50 PM
I hate hassling checkers about my stuff because they bag stuff all day and might intentionally do something like squeeze the Charmin, if you know what I mean. If they're really grabby, I'll just ask if I can bag it myself.

I've only once said something to a checker about jacking stuff up. It was when the EP1 stuff came out and one chick just ripped a Sidious card. I don't know how, but it was really thrashed. I told her I didn't want it because I like to keep my stuff in good condition. Her reply: Oh, you're one of those. I said "Those what?" Then she said, "Nevermind."

At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing she'll probably be a cashier all her life with no chance of advancement will customer handling skills like that.

stormie
04-30-2002, 04:05 PM
I think nicely asking the cashier or bagger to be careful ahead of time is a good solution. We shouldn't expect these people to realize that the packaging is just as meaningful for some items. Afterall, the main purpose of the packaging is just to protect the contents. I've personally had a few cashiers gingerly (and slowly) place my figures in bags without being told to do so. When I realize what they're doing (and why it's taking so long), I quickly and politely tell them not to worry about damaging the packages. They then tell me that they've been yelled at by customers for not being careful enough with the figures. This really makes me feel bad. Afterall, these people are just trying to do their jobs (which probably aren't that rewarding), and the last thing they need is for anyone to yell at them. I think it's important to treat others the way you would want to be treated. Just politely let them know ahead of time to be careful...this should do it. :)

SWAFMAN
04-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Holy crap guys! This isn't rocket science or international diplomacy, for God's sake. Just keep the items you want preserved in mint condition in your cart or basket instead of placing them on the conveyor, and when it's time for the cashier to scan them, hand each one over, one at a time, and ask the cashier to scan it and hand it back to you because you wish to protect the condition of the packaging. Then carefully bag your SWag. If they give you attitude, then refer to ManCan's perfect observation about the cashier probably having reached the pinnacle of their professional career, and disregard their scoffing as meaningless.

JetsAndHeels
04-30-2002, 04:17 PM
I have never yelled or been mean to any of the employees, Stormie. I just think when we check out and pay the high amounts for toys like we do, they shouldnt be slammed or crammed into a bag where they can bend or crease. Thats all I am saying. Thanks for your imput.

JediTricks
04-30-2002, 04:45 PM
I am not a carded collector, so it doesn't bother me, but I did pick up a fig for a friend who IS a carded collector the other day and the dang checker had to take the fig to the cust service desk to get a price-match - he didn't mangle it, but he wasn't being careful either and it was nerve-wracking.

I've noticed male employees seem to mangle my purchases more than female ones, and female employees more often will respond to "please be careful with that". The guys sorta look at you if you were from Mars, but most women checkers seem happy to just do it, or do it and then ask you about collecting.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I've noticed male employees seem to mangle my purchases more than female ones, and female employees more often will respond to "please be careful with that". The guys sorta look at you if you were from Mars, but most women checkers seem happy to just do it, or do it and then ask you about collecting.

I haven't really noticed the gender difference in bagging, JT. I have noticed that female cashiers tend to comment more on the items being purchased or the large number if you've hit paydirt. I've heard a lot of comments like, "Oh, you're buying those for your kids, right?" Or "Do you really play with those things?"

Makes me think that their boyfriends or husbands collect also and they're taking out their frustration on other male collectors.

InsaneJediGirl
04-30-2002, 06:25 PM
I've only had one problem and that was on the 23rd.The card got stuck in the little conveyor belt.It really didnt matter though because the card just recieved a slight crease and my brother was going to open it anyways.

JT,I've found the older ladies to be careful with my purchases more than anyone else.

JediDan
04-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Great topic Jango Fett.......I now buy most of my figures online now so I don't have to worry about cashiers, BUT when I do buy the occasional fig in stores I've run into more bad cashiers than good. Yes they grab them hard and they throw them into the bag. I would put the figs on the conveyor belt last (so that would be the last thing they put into the bag) well, wouldn't you know it, a couple times they reached way back there to get them first........ WHA??????:frus: :mad: :rolleyes: Ever since then I now speak up to them and tell them to please be careful. Some times they listen most of the times they don't. Must be something in the air up here in Minnesota. Minnesotans are always so ****ed all the time. :rolleyes: I just HATE it when I find that one hard to find fig that is in awesome shape and then I have to actually worry if it's still gonna be mint after I check out. Oh well, I guess that's alwasy gonna be a part of collecting, I guess......:mad:

bigbarada
05-01-2002, 04:40 AM
I've had this problem occasionally; but on 4/23 the lady working the register (the only one open at 5:45 AM) was more than careful with everyone's stuff. She even made sure to bag figures and vehicles separately and only put four figures in each bag, carefully placed so the cards wouldn't bend or rub. She's actually the only cashier I've ever seen be this nice to my figures.

I usually collect loose; but am buying MOC more and more. I really hate when you get in line behind someone with a grocery item that leaves a wet spot on the belt and the cashier's could care less if the card gets wet or not. Or the ones that toss a soda into a bag with a bunch of figures, even when you ask them to keep it separate. I'm going to have to use SWAFMAN's strategy of just handing them the items one by one.

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 02:10 AM
MC, I've never had that situation where someone badmouths what I'm buying like that. I usually get one of three results from female employees when buying figures:
- Apathy (the most common)
- Polite questions about collecting
- Discussing her SW collection (that's my favorite because it happens way more than I expect)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-02-2002, 12:07 PM
I bought a fairly-beat up Deluxe Darth Maul w/ Sith Droid the other day, and the cashier asked me if I wanted it in a separate bag, because "I don't want you to yell at me." I said that it was pretty dented anyway, and just one bag was enough. First time that'd happened to me. I felt ashamed that someone obviously did get mad at her at some point. :(

One rule of thumb, do NOT discuss your collection when there's a long line behind you. In fact, don't start any conversation when there's a long line. Just get out and go home! Ahem, I mean, politely say "thank you" and allow the others to make their purchases. :rolleyes: