PDA

View Full Version : ANH spec edition greedo misfire

aikman
04-30-2002, 02:34 PM
A blast from the past question:
Watched it last night and i groaned yet again when i saw greedo fire at han first in the cantina

Why did they do this?
Which way is better?? Obviously i liked han icing him without the 'self defense' idea...

bobafett07728
04-30-2002, 02:36 PM
Everyone knows that the original version is better. Hands down. . .no question. Lets hope we can choose what scenes we want to see in the DVD version. . .sort of a "Make-Your-Own" Edition.

aikman
04-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Yeah a branching dvd would be cool, i almost forgot they added that part but man , what was george thinking?

Im from NJ too, raritan.

bobafett07728
04-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Cool. . .where did you go for MMadness?

aikman
04-30-2002, 02:47 PM
TRU in somerville 50 people, only a couple freaks, got everything, Picked up the walmart exclusives the next day.
How bout you?

187-Maul
04-30-2002, 02:50 PM
the OT version was definetly better although I can live with it...but this has been discussed to often and people shouldn't always rewind the others of that scene cause most of them react very strange and may go mad and start a killing spree and...sorry went a little off the topic:D

bobafett07728
04-30-2002, 02:53 PM
LOL Maul.

I went to Woodbridge. . . about 100 people. Got everything I wanted (but no Dooku.) Still looking for the WM exclusives. Talk with you later, gotta go home.

icatch9
04-30-2002, 05:05 PM
The reason GL changed it becasue he caught a lot flack back in '77 about Han being a cold blooded killer. Parents didn't like thier childrens heros being a murderer. We as true fans see that this is not the case, but back in '77 people had different views. So, that was something GL always wanted to change, and the SE gave him that chance.

I don't mind it too much, and when I was a kid I never thought twice about Han being a murderer, but whatever. It's George's film and he can do what he wants to it. If in the DVD he wants to replace Jabba with Big Bird that's fine by me.

Taichi
04-30-2002, 06:24 PM
Hmm.....

I liked Greedo firing first......

SithDroid
04-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
The reason GL changed it becasue he caught a lot flack back in '77 about Han being a cold blooded killer. Parents didn't like thier childrens heros being a murderer. We as true fans see that this is not the case, but back in '77 people had different views. So, that was something GL always wanted to change, and the SE gave him that chance.

I don't mind it too much, and when I was a kid I never thought twice about Han being a murderer, but whatever.

Funny back when I originally saw the trilogy when I was a kid I never thought about Han being a cold blooded killer either. It should have been left untampered, but I guess GL is more into doing things to please "families" and "children" nowadays, TPM being a prime example of that. Funny how these people don't complain about all the killing and severing of limbs, but when it comes to who shot first these parents go nuts. What a bunch of morons if you ask me.

187-Maul
04-30-2002, 08:11 PM
never really thought about him being a cold blooded killer, too
I mean greedo was the bad one and had to die IMO:D although I like him a lot
look at Obi-wan he chops poor Boba's arm off - a simple force push would have been enough...
or luke slicing off the wampas arm who just wanted to have something to eat - the poor thing probabaly didn't get that much food out there in the cold...he must have been starving
those good guys are the ACTUAL bad guys if you ask me:D

Hellzer
05-01-2002, 12:03 AM
I can fully accept the reasoning for changing the scene, but I'm assuming that many people, including myself, feel that the execution of it was completely ridiculous. I mean Han gets a blaster shot mere inches from his head, yet he reacts like he's just got a little crick in his neck. I know I would have dived half way across that damn cantina if some thick-headed Rodian was gunning for me. Maybe even ILM thought it was a stupid idea so they made it look as lame as possible.

Darth Nihilus
05-01-2002, 01:53 PM
The scene looks ridiculous the way it is edited, it's also pretty silly of George to change something he copped flak for twenty years ago. And like most people I didn't think twice about Han shooting first, hell I was a kid, I barely remember the movie.

Darkross
05-03-2002, 11:46 AM
I never thought Han was a cold-blooded killer either. I always viewed it as he shot Greedo J..U..S..T.. before Greedo was about to shoot Han.

Greedo: "Maybe if you tell that to Jabba, he may only take your ship!"

Han: "Over my dead body!"

Greedo: "That's the idea...I've been waiting a long time for this!"

Han: "Yes...I bet you have!" (Blasts Greedo!)

Eternal Padawan
07-08-2002, 05:00 PM
I think it's not so much that Greedo shoots first in the new version, it's that he's a horrendous shot. In the original, they shot simultaneously, but there was so much smoke and confusion, it was unclear what happened. But when George "fixed" it he went overboard in making apparent that Greedo shot first. They could have left it alone and noone would've blinked.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2002, 01:28 PM
It didn't bother me too much, then again I never saw the original version of that scene.

Lman316
07-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Here is how I saw the Special Edition scene (keep in mind, I do like the Special Editions):

It's clear that Han is pulling his blaster, he's going to kill Greedo anyway. He had no reason to believe that Greedo was going to fire on him, so by him unsnapping his holster and removing his weapon means he's going to shoot Greedo.
Now, Greedo is a dolt, plain and simple. He's nothing more than a lackey for Jabba and he's quite expendable. But, even though he is stupid, do you think he'd be stupid enough to kill Han Solo when Jabba the Hutt was still looking for him? I mean, Greedo didn't mention anything about "dead or alive" did he?
So, to cut this short, I think Greedo's shot was nothing more than him toying with Solo. He was trying to be "cute" or slick, maybe attempting to scare Solo a little bit. That's why he was a horrible shot because he was intentionally missing Han. Han, on the other hand, wasn't messing around, and killed the sorry S.O.B.
That's how I see it, and it's not that entirely unbelievable. And I never saw it any other way until I got on these forums a few years ago and people were yelling and screaming about it. I was like, "What are you talking about...?" I never knew anyone had a problem with it...

End :crazed:.

icatch9
07-11-2002, 02:30 PM
That an amazing take on it Lman316. I've never thought about it befor like that. Makes more since too, not even Greedo could have missed from that range.

Still the murder thing is still present. I don't like thinking of heros as killers. I mean imagin if Superman just killed Lex Luther. Even though Lex is evil and deserves to die, it just wouldn't be right. Heck, Batman tried to save the Joker at the end of the movie and he tried to save Jack from the acid bath, so true heros don't kill thier enimies. They capture them and lock them up. But, that's not real popular, becasue it's not the kind of justice they deserve.

Jedi Knightrider
07-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
I mean, Greedo didn't mention anything about "dead or alive" did he?

No, HE didn't say anything about "dead or alive," but he agreed that this was the case when Han said

"Over my dead body..."

Greedo said

"Son Deedjanay..." (or something close to that, which means "That's the idea" in Rodian.)

MikeAndTheBots
07-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Well, if Lucas really wanted to make it look as though Han wasn't a murderer He could have some how add Greedo clicking a button on his blaster you hear a charging noise and BOOM Han blasts him away. If Greedo really wanted Han alive, he wouldn't have brought the gun out of the holster. I never imagined Han as a cold blooded killer, neither did my parents for that matter, he was doing what anyone in his situation would do.

JON9000
07-14-2002, 06:20 PM
I HATE THE GREEDO SCENE!

I thought the SE really helped out the battle over the Death Star, but Greedo shooting first is awful.

1- it lacks credibility- this is my biggest problem. nobody could miss from right across the table, unless you make up some far out theory on what Greedo was really up to.

2- Han blasting Greedo down was in line with Solo's character- he's a gunslinger and a rogue.

3. IT WAS SELF DEFENSE! Greedo had his gun pulled and was trying to capture/kill him. Han outsmarted him before, now he's just incredibly lucky. He should be fried chicken.