PDA

View Full Version : Spaceballs revisited

El Chuxter
09-07-2001, 02:04 PM
I just got the DVD of Spaceballs and watched that bad boy last night. I'd forgotten how incredibly funny this flick is! I have to highly recommend the DVD as well--not a lot of extra stuff, but the bits on the menu are worth the price.

A couple of in jokes I never noticed as a kid:
the "Schwartz theme" is almost exactly like Leia's theme from ANH
the bear getting into the escape pod sounds like Chewbacca
after the "They shot my hair!" bit, the Winnebago makes a brief R2-D2 beep when it starts up
Lone Starr is dressed like Indiana Jones in his first scene, and claims to be from the "Ford Galaxy"

I think it would be awesome if Brooks came back from limbo and, given the incredible amount of new material since 1986 (the prequels, ST:TNG, Stargate, Baylon 5, X-Files, Matrix, RoboCop, Terminator 2, etc, etc, etc), actually made Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money. It could even star the annoying brat from Jerry Maguire as a young Darth Helmet. :D Or more likely not. Brooks was apparently not content with such masterpieces as Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, and Spaceballs; I bet he's much happier with the bland Dracula: Dead and Loving It as his legacy. :rolleyes:

Mandalorian Candidat
09-07-2001, 05:48 PM
All I have to say is "Yogurt! I hate yogurt!"

Obi-Don
09-08-2001, 04:34 AM
I think that Space Balls was a very funny movie and I would reconmend it to anyone,Star Wars fan or not.

evenflow
09-08-2001, 08:48 AM
Spaceballs was a hilarious movie. I remember when it first came out. I always watched action figures for them. It would be great if someone could pick up the line. That would rock.

JediTricks
09-08-2001, 10:02 AM
The "Ford Galaxy" is a car, I think that's what this is a reference to.

Dracula:DALI and Robin Hood: Men In Tights are pretty crappy films of Brooks', so is Life Stinks, and some of that "eh" element exists in Spaceballs IMO where they use watered-down gags in place of shiny ones. I think this all started in "History of the World, Part One", where they used this a little, then more in Spaceballs, then it snowballed. I'm not saying I don't like Spaceballs, just that I don't think it's in the same league as Blazing Saddles.

Mike Troxell
09-09-2001, 04:05 PM
PIZZA IS GOING TO SEND OUT FOR YOU!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited because my Colonel Sanders/Mega-Maid quote was deemed inappropriate by myself after posting

Starfig873
09-09-2001, 05:38 PM
"Careful you idiot I said across her nose, not UP it!"

"Suck, suck, suck..."

Spaceballs has to be the most quoteable movie ever! :D

The DVD is great, with lines like "nobody gives me the cheeseburger" how could you lose?
I love Spaceballs. I love Robin Hood: Men in Tights, And I thought Dead and Loving it was hillarious too!

But once again...thats just me.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 04:03 PM
I need to break out my DVD again, it's been too long! Even as a kid I laughed at the merchandising riffs, now it's even funnier. :D

FYI, Best Buy has these for $9.99 on DVD, definitately worth it. :)

Beast
04-06-2002, 04:14 PM
I think there are plans next year for a special edition of Spaceballs, as they are starting to revisit Mel Brook's movies before he passes on. This year they are doing an S.E. of Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. And I think The Producers is the other one that will get attention. Hopefully they revisit them all, but I have to admit that I am glad they are doing Blazing Saddles this year. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 04:27 PM
I think in an Insider it was talking about a SpaceBalls 2 being made, but it'd be a prequel and there would be the kid from Stuart Little playing little Lord Helmet. Not sure if it was a joke or not, but I dunno.

"1..."
"1!"
"1!"
"2..."
"2!"
"2!"
"3..."
"3!"
"3!"
"4..."
"4!"
"4!"
"5..."
"5!"
"5!"

[Little alien bursting from guy's body] "Not again!"

Beast
04-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I think in an Insider it was talking about a SpaceBalls 2 being made, but it'd be a prequel and there would be the kid from Stuart Little playing little Lord Helmet. Not sure if it was a joke or not, but I dunno.
It was a joke that the Insider liked from that joke news story website The Onion. Sorry to burst your bubble Basker, though Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money would be a great flic. But I don't ever see it happening, especially since John Candy died. Plus Brooks has referenced sequels in a couple of his movies that never happened, History of the World part II was jokingly hyped at the end of the first one. Anyone else remember the take off on Star Wars? With the Jew Fighters. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah and Robin Hood: Men In Tights referenced a sequel for it but it never happened. I actually liked the movie too. :D 'Course I also liked Dead and Loving It, especially after seeing Bram Stroker's Dracula. :cool:

187-Maul
04-06-2002, 07:31 PM
I saw spaceballs a couple of weeks ago again too and I didn't remember it being so funny
I could watch it a thousand times and still laugh about the jokes
I liked men in tights and dead and loving it, too

"I had another daymare..."

Pendo
04-07-2002, 04:02 PM
"How many a**holes are on this ship?"
I just love that bit :)

I lent my copy of Spaceballs to a mate and he hasn't given it me back yet, I miss it :(

PENDO!

BanthaPoodoo
04-08-2002, 02:33 PM
My most fave part of this movie is when they are literally "combing" the desert.

DH: "Found anything yet?"

2 guys with Black comb: "Not yet sir"

DH: "How bout you?"

2 more guys with Black comb: "Nothing here"

DH: "What about you"

cut to guy with hair pick, zoom in real close to face: "WE AINT FOUND ****!!!!!!"

I ROTFLMAO when he said that...

also the part, "we lost the creeps, the sweeps, and the beeps....."

JediTricks
04-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Spaceballs really hovers on my list, sometimes I really like it, but sometimes I dunno, it just falls flat. However, I often quote the film, especially Dark Helmet's "I knew it, I'm surrounded by a__holes! ...Keep firing, a__holes!"

2-1B
04-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Hmmm, I popped in the DVD today and had another go - I love it!

JediTricks
Spaceballs really hovers on my list, sometimes I really like it, but sometimes I dunno, it just falls flat.

I can agree with that in a related sense. After watching it again, I realize there are things in there that I don't find that funny anymore. However, I don't think it falls flat for me, because some things just do not fit my sense of humor. For the most part, I really enjoy it and had some great laughs along the way.

Is it just me, or does Princess Vespa (played by Daphne Zuniga) remind anyone of Tracy Gold from Growing Pains ?

Harry Shearer - IMDb lists him as an uncredited News Broadcaster.

RIP John Candy :(

Dooku Fett
05-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Does anyone here hate Spaceballs because it (kind of) makes fun of Star Wars? I think the movie is hilarious!

"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine."
-Dark Helmet :D LOL

scruffziller
05-25-2002, 12:37 AM
No way it is a spectacular movie. It is a space parody just like Scary Movie is of horror films. It makes fun of all space stories including Star Trek.

Pendo
05-25-2002, 09:55 AM
I love SPACEBALLS!!! I hope they make the sequel that was mentioned in the first movie.

My favourite part is the "How many @$$ holes do we have on this ship?" scene. Hillarious!!!!! :D

PENDO!

187-Maul
05-25-2002, 10:56 AM
GREAT movie :D !

Eternal Padawan
05-25-2002, 12:30 PM
I think you have to watch it in a certain mood. the same goes for ALL Brooks films. he can be funny or irritating depending...

Dooku Fett
05-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
Spaceballs was a hilarious movie. I remember when it first came out. I always watched action figures for them. It would be great if someone could pick up the line. That would rock.

I'd buy 'em!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Ludicrous Speed!

saladin
06-07-2002, 11:20 PM
i loved it and mel brooks is a genius, he gave rise to all the parody movies we see today.

QLD
06-07-2002, 11:50 PM
Did somebody say Spaceballs? I can't believe it took me so long to get to this thread! :D

My favorite line is......OF COURSE....

I see your schwartz is as big as mine.....

And,

Let's not fight....put 'er there!.....

*takes ring*

THE RING!! THE RING!! Oh my GOD, I can't believe you FELL FOR THAT MAN!!! What's wrong with you??!!

Here , let me give it back.....*drops ring*

Oh you FELL FOR THAT TOO!!!!

Beast
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I think there are plans next year for a special edition of Spaceballs, as they are starting to revisit Mel Brook's movies before he passes on. This year they are doing an S.E. of Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. And I think The Producers is the other one that will get attention. Hopefully they revisit them all, but I have to admit that I am glad they are doing Blazing Saddles this year. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Well, it seems my earlier vision has finally come to pass. We got Blazing Saddles in 2004, and now we're finally getting a 2-Disc SE of Spaceballs. Hopefully Robin Hood: Men in Tights will follow soon after. I was going to start a new thread, but this one seemed to have the right flavor. Considering it's entitled Spaceballs Revisited. Hopefully they compinsate for TV overscan so the 'Princess nose gag' isn't cut off anymore. :)

Title: Spaceballs
Starring: Mel Brooks
Released: 3rd May 2005
SRP: $29.98

Further Details:
MGM has announced a two-disc collector's edition of Spaceballs which stars the likes of Mel Brooks, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman and Daphne Zuniga. The film will be available to own in shops from the 3rd May this year, and should retail at around $29.98 in total. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with both English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary by Mel Brooks, Spaceballs: The Documentary, a John Candy: Comic Spirit feature, a Storyboard to Film comparison, In Conversation: Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, some Film Flubs, spacequotes, Spaceballs: The Behind-the-Movie Photos, Spaceballs: The Costume Gallery and Spaceballs: The Art Gallery. Completing this new package will be an Exhibitor Trailer With Mel Brooks Introduction and the films original theatrical trailer. We've attached the official package artwork below:

Rocketboy
01-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Freakin' sweet!

Kidhuman
01-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Freakin' sweet!

about sums it up

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2005, 07:11 PM
This sounds pretty good, though I might pass for a while as I'm content with my 1-disc set. I love how the packaging looks like the new DVD cases though. :D

Rocketboy
01-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I agree. It'll look pretty good next to the Star Wars DVDs.
I just wish it looked more like them, as if it were part of the series.