PDA

View Full Version : Does Hasbro ever actually see any of this? (merged thread)

INDIANA
01-24-2002, 04:25 PM
I read an article in Entertainment Weekly for November (I work in a hospital, what did you expect) that said how closely the creators of the Lord of the Rings movie were working with web sites to really make the people/fans feel a part of everything. They said it was a wonderful colaboration that benefitted everyone.
Why doesn't Hasbro do this? Why don't they respond to their customers? Why not explain why the E2 figures are posed as they are? Why not tell us the Epic Force line really did sell well from their numbers and felt it could support the E2 Ultra line? Tell us when stuff will be out to wet our appetites, not keep everything a secret and just **** us off! Artoo News had a great comment in one of their sections that Hasbro or StarWars.com should have THE kick-butt sites that we go to everyday to look for new stuff and info.....they SHOULD have one site that (sorry to say this) makes sites like SirSteves/Rebelscum/TheForce/Jedinet basically second hand info. THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THE INSIDE INFO!!! THEY ACTUALLY KNOW THE E2 STORY!!! THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THE CARDED E2 FIGURES!!!!

I don't understand the disregard Hasbro has for the fans/customers. I aintnogenius....but would it not have made sense to ASK some collectors what they thought of the prototypes of the E2 figures? I think I can say with 100% hindsight that the leg poses would have been a problem.

I read SirSteves comment that Hasbro reps read this forum but can respond. Maybe they should. E1 was somewhat of a confusing nightmare, a lot of which is having a direct effect on the E2 line. I don't believe it bodes well that so many of the people who WERE planning to spend a ton of money in April are now waiting to see the rest of the line before deciding which specific figures they will buy OR they aren't buying any at all. I think we ALL want the best for this line of figures, Hasbro and the collectors. I fail to see the problem with working together.....

El Chuxter
01-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Here here! :)

Hasbro's websites and their interaction with fans isn't what it should be. The Hasbro Star Wars site sucks--it's incomplete, user unfriendly, and offers no method for feedback. And want an even sadder joke? Check out http://www.gijoe.com--the official Hasbro GI Joe site. No mention of the new comic book, no mention even of the new RAH line!

I don't understand it. Hasbro owns all rights to GI Joe and Transformers, plus licenses Star Wars, Superman, and Batman. Those five alone should be enough to make it the most successful toy company out there. Yet with GI Joe, we get the lackluster RAH line. With Transformers, we get an odd meshing of old characters with new bodies and old bodies with new characters. Superman and Batman? We're lucky if we get anything. And there's plenty of rants here about Star Wars: Unleashed, the "one step forward, two steps back" method they take with the 3.75" Star Wars line, and the shoddy distribution.

No wonder they've had money troubles over the past couple of years.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 04:46 PM
Because unfortunately, I don't believe that Hasbro cares what the collector thinks. Granted they have given us some awesome figures with the POTJ line. But then why do they revert back to horrible figures as the new EP II ones? Even if Hasbro does indeed look at this site, which I don't believe they do, and saw us complain about the wide stances, what good what it do. The figures are probably already in mass production and are, as I type this, being put onto cards and boxed up ready for shipment. Hasbro isn't going to want to just discard all this money they just spent on having these figures made and packaged. Instead they are going to take a gamble. "Well I know the fans might not like these figures, but some of them will probably buy them and so will children because they don't know any better." Unfortunately when it all comes down to it, it is all about the money.

Like I said in an earlier post on another thread, take a look at the new Toyfare magazine issue #55. There are some custom made EP II figures in there that look awesome. I would rather buy those then what we are going to get. Why can't Hasbro hire some of these customizers, who are obviously Fans, to help design the new line of toys? That way they wouldn't end up looking like cr*p.

Same thing goes for the whole midichlorian thing that I have ranted on before. George is getting too old to write AND direct these movies. He has made some huge continuity mistakes with TPM. Either George should get a co-writer, I know he has one for EP II, but one that knows what he is doing, or he should just direct the films. Don't try to do everything yourself. That is why I blame him for a majority of the stuff that is wrong with TPM because when it all comes down to it, he has the final say in everything. So he is the most responsible. I would love to get a chance to sit down with him and explain the continuity errors and how they can be fixed, seeing as I am an aspiring screenwriter/actor/director, but unfortunately I probably wouldn't be given the chance. I thought the whole point of creating something so large as the SW universe is to have other peoples input on the whole thing. It is a franchise no different than that of TSR. The same person doesn't write every single one of the books for them. They are allowed creative freedom as long as it remains true to the story. I wish GL would learn from this, but unfortunately he won't.

Anyone from 20th Century Fox or Lucasfilm reading this?

Wolfwood319
01-24-2002, 05:07 PM
If Hasbro had the interaction with collectors as McFarlane does, it'd be too perfect. The problem is McFarlane Toys is a company that makes figures FOR collectors. Hasbro is a faceless corporation that makes toys FOR profit. They don't give a crap about collectors, kids, fish, puppies, mail boxes, lawn clippings, etc, etc, etc.

Its a movie year, to them that means larger market share. Their hopes are that the movie will bring in the kids to buy massive hordes of toys, in which the line could survive without the collectors' aspect.

As for George Lucas...

Star Wars is his. Not yours or mine, but his. He's said many times, that its his, and if he died tomorrow, there would be no Episode 2, Episode 3, movie re-releases, etc. I think that his problem is that he listened to the wrong people (i.e. Rick McCallum:Pirate: )

If he wants to get creative, and change the story to fit his new whims that he has acquired in the past 20+ years, so be it. Plot holes aside, his biggest problems are on the corporate level, and from there stems the root of all your problems.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 05:32 PM
I do agree that Star Wars is GL's. What I don't agree with is that he doesn't listen to anyone elses input. I could be wrong, but some ideas in the movie are just horrible. I am a screenplay writer myself. Although I haven't sold anything, it is because I am fresh out of school and working to save up money to make the big move to Hollywood. An example.

If I have a huge franchise with a huge fan base am I going to intentionally put in something that the fans don't like? Movies generally have screenings months before they are released. They invite people to come in and watch the movie. Then they hand out a survey and ask what you liked and disliked and based on this they sometimes rearange the movie to fit more of what the people will like. If the fans didn't like something and I could see why, then I would probably change it.

Unfortunately due to the "secrecy" of Star Wars they never gave any screenings to anyone who wasn't "Hollywood." And as we all know most people in Hollywood are afraid to speak their mind for fear of getting put on a black list. This is true, "Just look at Ewan McGreggor who said he didn't like the new title of EP II. The media went crazy and Ewan was forced to retract his statement. If he doesn't like the title he should be able to say so. We all say we hate it, so why can't he? Because he is part of the movie and it would be bad for business for one of the stars to bad mouth something."

Also TPM was still in the editing process up until two weeks before release, so no one would have gotten to see the final product in time to make any changes.

Just finish the film, show it to Fans and listen to their feedback, that's all I'm saying. Many movies have been changed at the last minute to appease the general audience, mostly for the better. SW should be no different.

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 11:29 PM
Lawsuits. I think Hasbro is afraid that if they let ANY employees go on the internet and talk on public forums they can't control, that someone might say the employee read their idea on the forum, took it and used it without paying them.

El Chuxter
01-25-2002, 11:20 AM
I can see their reasoning. . . somewhat. I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say I'd be happy if Hasbro "stole" some of the ideas I've had.

Especially for the theoretical Batman line I came up with a few months ago. :D

DarthMaulSithLord
04-18-2002, 10:43 PM
...actually reading this? If they are, why the hell don't you guys respond? Isn't your slogan "We really do care"? So show us that you care and communicate with us!

And now that i am talking about communicating. When are you guys finally going to treat Jurassic Park like a kids/adult collectors thing? And when are we getting a Q&A with you guys (at my site called InGenOps)? I e-mailed you guys millions of times and i never get a straight answer. It's always the "we will forward it to the right dept." (probably the nearest shredder) thing or the "Thank you for contacting we appreciate it" blah blah blah. I am so tired of that. C'mon Hasbro, show some compassion and do some promostuff to show us you really do care.

:cry:

Battle Droid
04-18-2002, 10:54 PM
It doesn't seem like anyone is reading it or they just don't care one.

Beast
04-18-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm gonna make some calls tommorow afternoon to the corporate office, I have done it in the past and gotten to talk to the head of the Star Wars team. I am not a very happy customer about this shuttle business. I know that it's not Hasbro's fault on the price or the limited number, but they need to know how this is hurting fans, allowing FAO to have this exclusive. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wooooof
04-19-2002, 05:26 AM
For legal reasons, Hasbro cannot respond directly to anything in these forums. They can, however, contact SirSteve and tell him what they think. If someone on these boards comes up with a toy idea and Hasbro uses that idea then that person might try to sue Hasbro for stealing his idea. Stupid I know, but Hasbro is like all major corporations: paranoid.

El Chuxter
04-19-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Wooooof--you beat me to it. :)

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 01:19 PM
If someone were to come up with some good ideas, you think Hasbro might want to contact me..er..that person and put them on the payroll in R&D. :D

Hello, Wooooof! ;) Nice to have you back...

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'm gonna make some calls tommorow afternoon to the corporate office, I have done it in the past and gotten to talk to the head of the Star Wars team. I am not a very happy customer about this shuttle business. I know that it's not Hasbro's fault on the price or the limited number, but they need to know how this is hurting fans, allowing FAO to have this exclusive. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Cool. Let us know what you find out JJB.

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 02:01 PM
JJB, also tell them they need to make more 25th Anniversary Vaders since I never got mine and tons of scalpers did.

Jargo
04-19-2002, 08:55 PM
Tell them that Emperor Jargo sends his love........ :mad:

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Hello, Wooooof! ;) Nice to have you back...

It's good to be back. I'm getting let out of my cage more frequently now and as long as I don't piddle on the carpet I can roam around the house unsupervised.

Tell them that Emperor Jargo sends his love........

...and that they can take their FAO exclusive Imperial Shuttle and shove it up their.......:eek:

187-Maul
04-20-2002, 08:45 AM
nice new avator jargo...:D

DarthMaulSithLord
04-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Ask the HQ to e-mail me back about my site. The Jurassic Park Community wants a Q&A!!!

Obi-Don
04-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Hasbro doesn't care. they are out for the money and only that. They will keep making toys that they think we want and just enough of what we do want to keep us hooked. Come on Dr. Hasbro give me another fix.

RooJay
04-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Sir Steve? Just wondering.

mylow thehutt
04-30-2002, 07:01 PM
I heard they do.they secretly look at what we type.somthing i heard long ago.

El Chuxter
05-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Though their actions may sometimes make it appear otherwise, I've been assured someone(s) from Hasbro monitors the discussions here.

Eternal Padawan
05-02-2002, 03:06 AM
They are not allowed to interact with us for legal reasons.

Suppose I started a thread like "Sectional Playsets, Hasbro! You can make different parts of a larger playset like the cantina and sell each part with a figure. then all the parts connect into a bigger playset!"

Then the Hasbro guy came in and said "What a great idea! We'll get to work on those right away!"

Then I could say "Hey! You stole my idea Hasbro! Gimme money!"

So even though they read it (supposedly. I don't remember saying "Hey Hasbro, can you crank out only 5000 shuttles at $125 a pop for a crap toy chain?" but they went ahead and did it anyway. I ask for Hem Dazon, they make Djas Puhr. I ask for a Sith Infiltrator, they rerelease yet another Snowspeeder. I say "no exclusives", they hear "nothing but exclusives") they can't respond except to Sir Steve.

evenflow
05-02-2002, 03:52 PM
Lets say they do read them, how much do you actually think they listen. I, as well as many others have been asking for a Yarna D'al Gargan figure. I dont see one being made.

RooJay
05-02-2002, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys, but I was actually hoping for an official response from Sir Steve, or someone else who knows for certain and can back it up with some official proof.

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 10:26 PM
Steve is at Celebration II now, but I can tell you that we've heard from Hasbro employees before where they talk about reading the site and the forums. EP's point about Hasbro refusing to let them interact with us publically is correct, but I don't know what "proof" we could offer.

RooJay
05-03-2002, 12:47 AM
Thanks! Just hearing a definite "yes" froma staffer is proof enough for me!

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2002, 12:15 AM
And to be fair, quite a bit of what we've clamored for over the years has eventually been produced. You have to remember theres a lag time of several months and even years between when we say ''I want a TIE Bomber!" and when Hasbro gets around to releasing it. Think of all the obscure figures that have come out over the years. ususally it's due to us repeatedly asking for Dack Railtir or whoever.

MikeAndTheBots
05-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Remember that they may still make the figures everyone mentions here if they do come. The new snowspeeder and stuff wasn't thrown together in 10 minutes, it took them a while to produce and organize the stuff. So you never know, one day we may see a Sith Infiltrator or a DS trench r2 :D

El Chuxter
05-14-2002, 05:44 PM
True, true.

And look at the lineup for the current Fan Choice poll:
General Carlist Riekkan
Rebel Trooper in Imperial Scout Trooper Disguise
Concept Stormtrooper
Imperial Dignitary
Nym

With the exception of Nym (I don't have any clue who he even is), I've seen these in wish lists for a couple of years. Hasbro is listening to the fans, and it looks like someone at Hasbro would like to make only highly articulated little works of art. Of course, someone else--someone more powerful in the Hasbro hierarchy--says, "Hey, why don't we give all the Jedi saber-slashing action?"

DarthMaulSithLord
05-15-2002, 04:45 AM
Well, if they are indeed listening, i am expecting to see some changes in Europe (don't forget The Netherlands) this year. We need all the toys all year long and the prices need to get balanced out with the US. C'mon Hasbro, my country has 1,000's of fans with lots of money to spend! Just give us something worth buying.

:(

Eternal Padawan
05-23-2002, 11:42 AM
If they can't respond on THIS website, I at least wish they would be more open on their own.

If they "found" ideas here or on other forums and then proposed those ideas on their website, they could get a lot more feedback from the consumers with a lot less legal hassle. Then they would know we want Yarna D'al Gargan figures or Sith Infiltrators or sectional playsets.

Eternal Padawan
05-23-2002, 11:53 AM
I would like for Hasbro to be more open on their own website and offer up ideas very similar to the ones we propose here. Then fans could offer more feedback and Hasbro wouldn't have to worry so much about the legal hassles of interacting with the fanbase.

And they can make a Sith Infiltrator while their at it.

Eternal Padawan
05-23-2002, 11:56 AM
There sure are a lot of "Is Hasbro listening?" threads...

QLD
05-23-2002, 12:44 PM
EP, apparantly no one is listening to the fact that everyone is asking whether or not Hasbro is listening.

Hmmm.....that sounded funny. :D

QLD
05-23-2002, 12:47 PM
Tell them that Quite-Long Dong said.....awww nevermind....they aren't going to listen to anything someone named Quite-Long Dong says. :(

QLD
05-23-2002, 12:49 PM
maybe they are responding and we don't even know it *plays x-files theme*

DarthMaulSithLord
05-23-2002, 08:26 PM
*singing:*

"Hasbro stinks!"

:p

QLD
05-23-2002, 08:36 PM
EP and I looked stupid like we were talking to ourselves after they merged these threads :D

Eternal Padawan
05-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
EP and I looked stupid like we were talking to ourselves after they merged these threads :D

Hey, I don't need merged threads to make ME look stupi....

oh.

:Pirate: Shiver me timbers.

Maximilian Veers
05-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
Well, if they are indeed listening, i am expecting to see some changes in Europe (don't forget The Netherlands) this year. We need all the toys all year long and the prices need to get balanced out with the US. C'mon Hasbro, my country has 1,000's of fans with lots of money to spend! Just give us something worth buying.

:(

Yeah and in Iceland and the rest of Europe,for exsample: Iceland isn't one of the richest countries in the world for nothing,give us a lower price on the toys and we'll buy twice as much or even more of your products.
From Iceland:
Maximilian Veers/Svarthofdi.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-24-2002, 06:54 PM
Yup, give me and General Icepick above better prices!!!

:D