PDA

View Full Version : collecting morals

aikman
04-30-2002, 08:36 PM
everybodys morals are different, same applies to the way people collect. These are my opinions, as right/wrong as they may be.
Here are some of mine, im curious to hear others:

dont buy from scalpers/dont scalp -a big problem, many complain but still support them

being a completist doesnt mean completing the collection at any price-Dont buy a $100 starship you dont want just to get the exclusive figure inside

open your stuff- sure they look nice in package but can be appreciated more opened, lets face it, im not selling these anyway

Dont hoard- these are toys, get one of each and be happy with that , anyone that buys >10 of the same figure has issues, dioramas or not you have a problem

Sith Lord 0498
04-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Scalping---Don't give in to their outrageous prices because that encourages them to continue. If it is something you absolutely want for your collection and all other possible avenues have been exhausted, then it's permissable as long as you don't go $20 over the original price (this is mostly for discontinued figures that have been gone for 3 years or so)

Hoarding---You don't need more than two of a figure, and that's only if you keep one carded and one opened. If you buy any more than two at a time or in close time to each other, it should be as a gift for someone else or to help out a fellow collector. If you want to build armies, then make sure it's a pegwarmer that's widespread in stores or wait until it's old, discounted, and no one wants it anymore.

Completist---My perception of a completist is that you complete the collection that you envision. If that means everything made, then buy everything made. If that means only buying what you like or what's hard to find (my own personal vision), then act according to that.

Carded v. Opened---Keep it carded if it's worth someone (e.g. - Toy Fair Darth Vader). Opening the merchandise allows it to be appreciated much more. If you're going to spend a lot of money of this stuff, you should be able to interact with it. Plus, it gives it a better look and a more museum exhibit-like look (minus the glass cases and security systems)

Etiquette---Be respectful and courteous to other collectors (and consumers in general). Help each other out with information whenever possible. These forums provide a great centralized location from which to do that. If it weren't for some of you guys, I wouldn't have some of the items I have now (TIE Inteceptor, etc.) And don't be cutthroat about things. I'm mostly referring to the AOTC midnight madness. There were about ten other people at Wal-Mart with me, and they got all the good stuff because they crammed their shopping carts into a very small aisle and started grabbing stuff blindly to throw in their carts to sort it out later. I lost out on Luminara, Taun We, etc. because I tried to be civilized and calm about things. Maybe that was expected too much on a midnight madness, but it still irks me nevertheless.

Above all, remember that every collection is unique and tailored to the individual collector. It's your money, so buy what you will be pleased to see in your collection.

Jpalisi
04-30-2002, 10:31 PM
i agree w/ both aikman and darklord, the collection you want is the colection you should enjoy, also you shouldnt feed false info to fellow collector for personal monitary/collection gains. i cant begin to get into how many times ive seen collectors boosting the worth of some toys early in the game(e-bay anyone?) w/o anything to back it up. some toys are hard now but in a few mos(or less) they'll pop up.

bigbarada
04-30-2002, 11:05 PM
Scalping - if you buy from a scalper then you can't complain about them, since you are the reason they exist.

Hoarding - never take more than you need. If you buy 30 Stormtroopers cuz you are building an "Emperor's Arrival" diorama, then fine. If you are buying 30 Stormtroopers cuz you want to save up for an early retirement, then you are an idiot.

Completist - you are the reason we get these crappy wave 1 Ep2 figures. Hasbro knows that we will complain but don't care cuz all the completists will buy it anyway just to complete their collection.

Carded vs. Opened - depends on the preference of the collector. I collect opened but am thinking of switching to carded since they will be easier to display in the limited amount of space I live in now (hung on the wall). My opened figures eventually end up tossed in a box or my nephew's hands anyway.

Etiquette - these are toys, if you are spending money that you earned on them, then it is safe to assume that you are at least a teenager. So act your age.

darkhawk411
05-01-2002, 12:49 AM
scalping- I think scalpers are scum. nuff said.

hoarding- I'll go along with the 10 and under rule. Mainly due to the fact that that's the most of any figure I have (stormtroopers) and that makes a pretty good sized army.

completist- buy as you see fit. Hasbro would have made these figures the same, with or without you in existence, since they made them with kids in mind.

carded vs. opened- again do as you see fit. Personally I open my figures to play with them

etiquette- take other collectors feelings into consideration, even if you don't believe they think the same way. When it comes down to me vs a kid, I say let the kid have the figure, I can continue to hunt for the figure, where they may not be able to.

Mostly remember the point of this hobby is to have fun. Don't stress out because a figure isn't exactly the way you want it to be.

David Denny
05-01-2002, 06:00 AM
im a completist i try to get all the variations but not all at one time i do have a lot ( about 15 wal-mart ) all 15 to 45 min away from my house and go wal-marting from 12 am to 4:00 am byt i dont get more than one of each figure and when im out like at the opening night for the figuers i do try to help others. we collectors need help others i know when i find something new im happy so i know how it is. even when the POTF slave leia was hard to find i met a youg boy looking for one to open and was going to buy it for $25.00 to open to play with i gave him mine out of my set for free i dont like scalping and know kid should not pay that just to play with and it made him so happy
we are collecters we should all help each other and do with out making 4 times price scalping is just wrong
and we do need to think of kids too
we all play with star wars figures they should too

aikman
05-01-2002, 08:32 AM
A lot of good responses, but noone NEEDS 30 stormtroopers

Herby
05-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Well, I have a slightly different take.

1.) Scalpers. I would love to say I never support scalpers but that's a lie. I have purchased two figures from a scalper since the start of POTF2 in 1995. I bought Leia and Motti Commtech. I justify this by saying I did not support a scalper because I refused to pay scalper prices. I paid 20 bucks for the pair, the same some people pay for a current figure plus shipping from an online store. Considering they were long gone figures with no chance of me finding them on clearance, I was happy (and he didn't get the 15 each he was asking).

2.) Hoarding. This has always been my biggest complaint. I know that some people build really amazing dioramas, but that doesn't calm me down when I can't find Imperial Officers or Rebel Troopers. To me, there is no separation between a hoarder for money or an army builder, you're both hurting the hobby. If you are an army builder, you should at least have the decency to buy the multiples on different days so other people have a fighting chance.

Carded vs. Opened - I open almost everything. Theater Luke is on a card and 300th Boba has been opened, but lives in his packaging. I don't care if you open or close, as long as you display your collection proudly as best you can!

Etiquette...well, you don't meet many collectors in Maine, so we don't have to worry about that much! I know there are a few of us, but we rarely cross paths!

Cubehead
05-01-2002, 11:03 AM
1. Don't run when you enter a store! I hate the collector footrace.

2. Share with people you meet. Unless they are a filthy scalper.

3. Buy extra figs and ditribute them among you friends at cost.
***This is the most effective way to combat scalping!

4. Don't tell other collectors how they should collect. If you like to open thats fine but some may just like carded figures and thats fine too.

5. Don't buy from scalpers. Don't enable their pathetic lives. Force them to get real jobs and to stop being social parasites.

6. Kids first.

7. Spread out your army builder purchases. Someone else said this and it makes perfect sense. There's absolutely nothing wrong with dioramas or army building. Just give verybody a chance.

Amanamike
05-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Well I guess im that collector who walks a fine line in your broad persepectives. I dont have much chance at buying figures in stores, cause not many around me have them, so when I see them I have to grab them and sometimes a few more for future trades. So now that I dont have much to choose from in stores it turns me to the internet to buy them. I go to Yestertoys and a few other places where I pay maybe 9US a figure. So there I will buy at least 2 of each, 1 to open and 1 for packaging, because even though people say you should open them and enjoy them, well some of us enjoy them in the package. And I do build armies of things so when I see certain figures like Stormtrooper lots , or somehting like that I buy them. I dont let anyone else tell me how to collect either. In my mind its first come first serve, If someone has the money to buy out the store, then dont worry the store will replace them with new cases. I like seeing things go fast because I know that then they will be reordered. I Canada here I speak on behalf of most of my collecting friends, we just want to see figures on the shelves let alone worrying about how many someone might be taking. Its a harsch world up here for us collectors so our eticate is much different. Thsanks for your ears guys!!!

eliwankenobi
05-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Well, here's my two cents:

Scalpers - should all be drawn and quartered. IMO scalping toys is one of the most disreputable forms of 'business' to ever surface. I think there's a big difference from dealing high-priced collectibles and TOYS!! Toys are for kids (and us loyal fans), and whoever thought it would be a great idea to rip off kids should be shot!! As much as I hate promoting eBay, I have been able to find a friendly few selling things at cost + shipping that have allowed me to get discontinued items. My rule is this: I won't pay more than $5 for ANY item that I should be able to buy in a store. If I can't get it for my price, then I just don't get it.

Hoarding: I would hope that fellow collectors, knowing how difficult it is at times to compete with the scalpers over HTF figs, would have the courtesy of buying only one or two of such figs until they are plentifully available to all - then they can take as many as they like. It is especially disappointing to me not to find new figs when I only buy one of each (and that's only the ones I want). I used to buy an extra for my pal, but he's since given up on SW.

Carded vs. Opened: most of my figures remain carded and are proudly - and rather impressively - displayed all over my walls. Once I have more shelf space, I plan to open them all and display that way. I think think this one should be left to each one's personal preference and we shouldn't dictate how 'the true collector ' should keep/display his toys.

Etiquette - I don't run to the toy aisles. If I arrive in the toy aisle and find someone going through the figs, I'll wait my turn. If I notice that they might have something that I'm looking for I'll ask if there are any more. On occasion I've been offered figs this way. I also return the favor by offering figs to other collectors and kids. I want everyone to enjoy collecting SW. I personally would feel like a real SOB if I snatched up everything and sprinted for the checkout lanes, leaving all the others disappointed and empty handed. I wouldn't want it done to me; I don't do it to others. And on the occasions I have encountered scalpers and hoarders, I have no problem finding a store manager to complain to. Sometimes this has helped, sometimes not. In the end, it should be about having fun - and sharing the fun.

Tycho
05-01-2002, 11:28 AM
No Way on the army building issue!

I wanted 35 Naboo Royal Guards for my dioramas, including a reconstruction of Theed, and I barely have half that (16 or 17, but I think it could be 1 or 2 less).

I purchase agressively. I'll share if you are there. We did those collector etiquette series in the poll section to get the stats on these issues for what hundreds of collectors like yourself feel.

The majority of the group knows that if I want 35 Naboo Royal Guards and I leave some on the pegs for other collectors, there is no gaurantee that they won't be picked up by a scalper.

I am in a collecting group with people local to me. I even shared Naboo Royal Guards with them, because I knew they were shopping for them too, and they would find ME more, and replace the ones I offered them when they were done with this figure (1 other does dioramas, most buy 2 - from my group which is 8 people).

But I couldn't help myself even get more than 20 of this figure. How am I supposed to know whether Imperial Officers or Rebel Fleet Troopers will ship like that? (They won't and are being recycled with new head sculpts for the Saga line, but before we knew that...)

In any case, the point is moot, because I only needed 6 Imp Officers, and I didn't want to mix better and worse looking RFT and I have like 20-something of the other kind, so I only bought 2 to add into a scene none of the old ones were in.

But do not tell me how to collect! Tell Hasbro to keep shipping army builders. Get out of bed at 6 am if you can beat me there to my store (or the one your local army builder you hate shops at) or don't complain. I am not scalping and here are 2 pages dedicated to what I do with my collection.

my Classic Dioramas (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=sscollections2.setup&category=starwars&topic=11&search_and_display_db_button=yes)

a 5 foot Tantive REASON why I need 7 RFT and 14 out of my 79 Stormtroopers! (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=sscollections2.setup&category=starwars&topic=32&search_and_display_db_button=yes)

- make sure you use the navigation buttons on the left to look INSIDE my Blockade Runner. There are 27+ figures on board. Most of them army builders won because I got up an extra hour early every morning until I had what I needed.

This is my way to enjoy the hobby. And unless you live in San Diego, I didn't impact YOUR collection. But if you do, you should have been at my store when I was, and half the figures in these pictures would have been yours.

I do NOT appologize. Do not criticize the army builders! And the incident with the Naboo Royal Guard illustrates that we cannot wait, nor will not wait for these figures to become pegwarmers!

At the Celebration or wherever the next time I see Naboo Royal Guards, I will buy 15 of them on the spot and I'm NOT going to wait to see if anyone else shows up to buy them! I'll split them with you if you're there, or I'll never know about it if you beat me to them and need them yourself.

I'll pay $10 per figure, because I know I'm going to have to deal with the secondary market on these...grrrrrrrr... so I have $150 cash set aside for this figure alone. I want to build THEED. That's my only interest in this. I have the AAT Tanks, Droid Fighters, armies of Trade Federation forces, Flash Speeder, Sabe, the Jedi, and everything else. Self-restraint is not going to come into the picture to prevent me from achieving my goal!

Waiting would have only put me worse off than I was before in terms of wants and haves with this figure.

I wanted 25 CloneTroopers, 11 Anakin Hanger Duels, 7 Count Dookus (9 actually) and I bought them on sight. I'm not in San Deigo's stores again until Mace Arena and Jango Fett Final Battle are shipping. But I know the toys are brand new and the cases with Dooku and Yoda are being restocked. Go and get them. I'm not going to monopolize the figure beyond what I have use for!

And 11 Anakin Hanger Duels (w.o. spoilers...)

1) Anakin in Speeder
2) Anakin on Naboo w. a future Padme figure
3) Anakin vs. Dooku w. Obi-Wan
4) Anakin losing an arm (not a spoiler since we know the figure)
5) Anakin in the Arena Playset (when it's released)
6) Anakin in a gunship (when it's released)
7) Anakin in the bar scene w. Zam Wessel
8) Anakin in the Jedi Temple w. all the Jedi Master figures
9) Anakin w. C-3PO, and the Lars' eventual figures
10) Anakin vs. Geonosians
11) Anakin w. Palpatine

So don't tell me I don't need 11 of them! Don't tell me I should leave them on the racks and go at 7 am every morning just for YOUR convenience! Tell Hasbro if you think they should keep shipping him (they will - and I'm using the Tatooine Anakin for other scenes anyway).

But please do go to the Poll section of these forums and read the collector etiquette series of questions, (you'll know which ones they are by reading the titles). Note that 16% of you hit the stores in the a.m. while 23% of you are sleeping! Sleeping...? Barring those that have night jobs, the rest of you can dream about Hasbro doing a good job with distribution, and they are much improved, or you can just envy my collection. I earned them. You didnt. It's that simple! Wake up if you care that much - or don't complain!

Other collectors actions or inactions helped us to learn that only 4% (I think it was 4, might have been 7%) got all the armies of discounted CommTech Troopers! That's ridiculous. Something like 90% of you complain (I'm kidding). But see my point?

Uncle Owen
05-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by aikman
A lot of good responses, but noone NEEDS 30 stormtroopers

No 75 is a Much Better Number!!!:D

Owen Out!!

aikman
05-01-2002, 12:27 PM
The first thing I put in my post is these are MY beliefs,
I m not telling YOU or anyone else how to collect, im just saying how I feel and what I think about people that do that . Its called MY opinion.
No matter what anyone says, people in MY opinion that hoard that many figures is selfish, sorry.

aikman
05-01-2002, 12:36 PM
Obviously you are proud of your dioramas, I particularly dont appreciate them all that much but again that is MY opinion.
Nuib is the diarama king.

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 12:40 PM
I'm with Tycho on this one. Making dioramas is how I collect. I like putting figures in scenes. You don't see 1 or 2 stormtroopers at a time, you see 5 to 20. I got all of my CT Stormtrooper with relative ease, and so could have anyone else. I'm like Tycho in that I'll share if someone else is there, and I also usually leave one behind just for pity's sake.

I'm definately for that "Kid's first" moral that Cubehead had. I always try to help out kids if I see them looking at the Star Wars figures. (This applies to parents of kids looking on behalf of the kids as well.)

I've never had to worry with scalpers, ever. If I didn't find something in stores the first time around, I check ebay, or look for a deal elsewhere. I don't think I've ever spent more than $8-10 on a single figure. A lot of collectors complain about scalpers, yet they still go to them to get stuff. If collectors never used scalpers in the first place, they wouldn't exist today. You only have yourselves to blame.

Beast
05-01-2002, 12:56 PM
I gotta side with Tycho and WolfWood on this one. If he wants to buy 10, 20, 30, or even 50 of a figure then let him. Tycho doesn't do all his shopping at his local stores either guys. He's gotten alot of his army builders from Yestertoys and other retailers. Hell, I would have been glad if he was buying up alot of the army builders around here. At the time the CTC Stormie was shipping here I saw racks full of them. Same with the Naboo Guards, and now with the Geonosian Warriors. Tycho is welcome to come here and raid my stores racks anytime, so that my stores restock with some new figures.

I love seeing people's dioramas. I don't build them myself, and I don't have anywhere near 30 of any figures. I have like 10 CTC stormies though. But if someone wants to spend their hard earned money and buy a ton of the same figures, what are we to complain about it for. Atleast he's not keeping them on the card, dreaming of the day he can put his kiddies thru college. :p

Atleast Tycho would be nice enough to share, if you ran into him at a store and he had a basket full of army builders. He's not a greedy person, he's just enjoying Star Wars the way he wants to. So let him. It's just silly to blame army builders cause you can't find a certain figure. I'll bet you for every army builder there is probably 10 collectors that only buy 1 of each figure. So it's not like it's a real serious problem.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

brentfett
05-01-2002, 01:04 PM
I gotta say, you guys who build these insanely huge dioramas, purchase dozens of each figure, you all SCARE ME!

aikman
05-01-2002, 01:11 PM
No reason to take sides on the issue , just give your own opinion, this was not meant to be a pick a side question but some have taken it as that.

Chances are I wouldnít run into him, I donít shop daily or at the break of dawn (like many scalpers/builders do), but im sure there are others similar to him around here.

Obviously, itís a free country anyone can do what he or she wish.

I just find it repugnant that someone would make statements like 'if you beat me to them in the morning they are yours but...'

I just picture a pathetic "THE COMIC BOOK GUY" type all ready to pounce at a TRU in the morning gleefully clearing out racks of figures. While other people that have more important things to do canít compete with this ilk.

Some people find it fulfilling to buy as much as they can, some enjoy going into debt.

I am not one of those.
If you have 100 stormtroopers you need a life. Go outside take a deep breath and see how lonely your life has become.

Herby
05-01-2002, 01:18 PM
Nope. I still say that if you are building dioramas you should leave a few on the pegs. The Royal Guard this is proof that army builders are greedy. All the leftover Guards wouldn't have ended up in scalper shops (you say they would, I say they won't, neither of us can prove it!) Your dioramas may be nice but buying all the army builders does not tell Hasbro to release more, it tells Walmart that the rest of the case of toys are just sitting there and they shouldn't bother reordering. I saw the Imperial Officer and Rebel Trooper once on the shelf at retail, I saw the remains of the wave three or four times. First come first serve my butt, many of us can't go to the store everyday bright and early. Oh, but wait, my inability to put my toy collection first and my job second means I don't really want those figures enough...yeah right. I think people need to realize that figures that disappear off the shelf don't always go to scalpers and that there is still a league of collectors out there who just want one of each. My opinion is, you want one hundred Ric Ollies for your "Naboo Male Pattern Baldness" diorama? Buy some retail, buy some online, leave a few for the rest of us. But DON'T feed me a line about how Hasbro will realize that they need to make more...they don't care. Do you really think buying all the Clone Troopers and Royal Guards will make Hasbro release cases of just those?

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 01:21 PM
If you have 100 stormtroopers you need a life. Go outside take a deep breath and see how lonely your life has become.

That's a pretty harsh statement to make there, bub. I have about 30 CT Stormies right now, and I very much "have a life," as you will. I'm currently working on my masters in business, engaged to be married this summer, have a job, a dog, and I have plenty of friends I hang out with a lot of the time.

Beast
05-01-2002, 01:21 PM
No reason to take sides on the issue , just give your own opinion, this was not meant to be a pick a side question but some have taken it as that.

Chances are I wouldnít run into him, I donít shop daily or at the break of dawn (like many scalpers/builders do), but im sure there are others similar to him around here.

Obviously, itís a free country anyone can do what he or she wish.

I just find it repugnant that someone would make statements like 'if you beat me to them in the morning they are yours but...'

I just picture a pathetic "THE COMIC BOOK GUY" type all ready to pounce at a TRU in the morning gleefully clearing out racks of figures. While other people that have more important things to do canít compete with this ilk.

Some people find it fulfilling to buy as much as they can, some enjoy going into debt.

I am not one of those.
Bundling army builders with scalpers is one of the craziest thing I have ever seen. He's not buying them for to cash in later, he's buying them cause he wants them. If he's got the money for them, cool. More power to him.

Ya know whats even more "pathetic" then your image of the army builders as "Comic Book Guys"? People that have nothing better to do then complain cause someone has that many of the same figure. It's just getting to be to much. Tycho can obviously afford them, so can alot of other people. Why shouldn't he buy what he wants, without being bad mouthed for doing it?

Tycho is one of the good ones. He doesn't just army build the usual army builders. He does the same thing with main charecters. Hell, he bought 11 Hanger Duel Anakin's. While most army builders would only be going for the Geonosians, CloneTroopers, Battle Droids, and Super Battle Droids, he is buying multiples of all the figures. The more he buys, the more that store will order, and put out new cases. That's my 2 Daktaries.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stormie
05-01-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
At the time the CTC Stormie was shipping here I saw racks full of them.

Make stormie sad.:( What I would've done if I had seen racks of these...

Anyway, I basically agree about the army-building business. If you want 70 CTC Stormies, you should feel free to buy them. I only saw one CTC Stormie on the racks...ever! I did however, purchase some on-line and trade for others. That's just the way it goes. I don't blame the army builders at all for any shortages.

And as far as etiquette goes, I personally get a lot more out of helping other people find figures than actually finding them myself! Just the other day, I was filing through the pegs at a WM, and I overheard these two women say 3PO as they too looked through the pegs. I just nicely asked them if they were looking for a C-3PO, and after affirming that they were, handed them one I'd just seen. Their surprise and thanks was better than finding a Red Guard. :)

stillakid
05-01-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

Other collectors actions or inactions helped us to learn that only 4% (I think it was 4, might have been 7%) got all the armies of discounted CommTech Troopers! That's ridiculous. Something like 90% of you complain (I'm kidding). But see my point?

I hear what you're saying, but this last part isn't entirely our fault. Somebody, Hasbro, TRU, whoever, chose just a few stores to dump figures at, thereby giving only a few select individuals the opportunity to purchase $2 CommTech troopers. That's not fair. It's not the consumers fault if he can't find them in the first place.

aikman
05-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Not complaining, responding to people that try to defend thier selfish behavior.

Why not call hasbro up and try to buy every figure before they
get released so you can be the sultan of star wars ?

"I have Fleets of vehicles, 20 Tie interceptors...arent I cool"
No, cool would not be the word I would use to describe that...

Beast
05-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Herby
Do you really think buying all the Clone Troopers and Royal Guards will make Hasbro release cases of just those?
Not always full cases, but the increased demand will make those the figures that get re-shipped in later cases. Heck, in the Dooku case the raised the number of CloneTroopers from 2 to 3 per case. Sounds like Hasbro trying to help ensure the figures get a good distrubution to me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
05-01-2002, 01:36 PM
I agree with Aikman on one thing whole-heartedly:

NiubNiub's Universe dioramas are WAY better! I wish I had the time to do what he does. Frank's a really friendly guy and has given me some advice. At some point I'd like to redo my dioramas to get even half-way closer to his quality.

I am at least confident that I will not have to buy 99% of my figures on the secondary market!

As to "get a life" comments... I have a life - and building dioramas, the artwork, sometimes design work - see my Blockade Runner (the parts were designed in drawings I did in my old Statistics text book while I was bored in college and acing my class) - and the cost-analysis, the studying about materials and stress tolerances of plastics, etc. - all that went into much more than standing outside of Toys R Us - which I cannot do because I work. But I do stand outside of Wal*Mart in the morning on my way to work - as do other people both with jobs, and without ones (or ones they have to work at in the morning anyway). Those Hotwheels guys are there everyday. I haven't been there since April 27, and don't plan on going until I get confirmation that the Jango Flamethrower wave is shipping. (3 Mace, 3 Jango, MAYBE 1 Darth, Luke - don't really need those).

Anyway, I have a very fulfilling career in which I help people, and I have plenty of other hobbies and interests outside of SW, just don't care if I prove it to anyone or not. That's my business, and people here are present to discuss SW really, anyway.

Romantic loneliness has nothing to do with whether you collect SW or not. If I'm never going to be finding fulfillment in my relationships even before SW, and after I started collecting, that has nothing to do with anything. I have a hobbie for nights home alone which as I explained before goes way beyond toy collecting, and is much more educational and constructive than watching television or drinking, or whatever other people's weeknight pursuits could be. Note mine include going to the gym and exercising every day. But after a shower and I'm home for the evening, I'd rather paint and draw, or try to get Zam into that darn tiny little #$#!! speeder than watch sitcoms. Discovery Channel, C-SPAN, and C-NN are cool though. But you don't have to watch them and can just learn by listening.

aikman
05-01-2002, 01:50 PM
We agree to disagree and that is fine.
Its obvious we both coexist with certain things similar.
This was not meant to be a 'witch hunt' just was curious about peoples beliefs.

Jargo
05-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Oh, well I'm very selfish then, thanks. :happy: I walked into a store on the 23rd of last month and bought four each of the Geonosian and the royal guard. The pegs were not bursting but there were a fair few. I'll continue to go back and if there's another case of them been pegged then I'll buy more until I have a good twenty or so. That's my right as a consumer - to buy what is available. If you miss them then too bad. Look harder. Change the way you buy. get up a little earlier. Not that I'm telling YOU how to collect of course just expressing MY opinion. :)

Actually you're right, I don't NEED thirty stormtroopers but I'd like them and I have the cash to buy them, so I will. Again - as a consumer I have the right to walk into a store and clear the place if I so choose and have the money to do so. Maybe it's different in America but over here in the UK we have consumers statutory rights that set out the whys and wherefores of buying goods, the rights of a consumer and the rights of a retailer. can't remember anywhere that it said 'A consumer will always be limited to just two of any product. Nobody has the right to own any more than this alloted number'

Just sounds like sour grapes to me to say that anyone is selfish because they happen to be a mass collector rather than a museum piece collector that keeps things carded. I collect armies because believe it or not I actually play with my toys like they're intended and I have an army of Imperials that is rather large.

I see these figures as the next step on from plastic toy soldiers which is essentially how they were created. The logical extension of the toy soldier that took the figures to the next level was back in 1978 when that first Luke Skywalker figure hit the stores. I recreate the movie scenes and play out new ones and I have hundreds of figures in my collection to do that with. I'm just a collector same as anyone, I buy from the cheapest source and when stuff I want isn't available at regular stores I'll hunt it down and buy it if it aint too expensive. I'm not a completist and open absolutely everything regardless of whether it be a variant, a rarity or an exclusive. Guess that makes me Satan himself then does it? Because I have more than one of plenty of exclusives. Piffle! is what I say to you. You have a problem that you need to take up with the individual stores you shop in and Hasbro regarding the reasons why you can't get what you would like to own. Me, I'm just resourceful, I take the time to get to know store managers and assistants so I know who's getting what and when, I use online stores by the bucketful so I can price compare and find a good deal. If you can't be bothered to take the time to look properly or use the resources that are around then too bad for you....... :zzz:

Bosskman
05-01-2002, 01:54 PM
If I need figures to build armies I'll get them. I have no qualms about it at all. As far as scalpers go, sometimes I have had to resort to the secondary market in order to get toys. Given my geographic location, I have no other option. There are no Targets, FAOs, KBs, where I live. They're hours away in the States. I don't have the luxury of being able to walk into a store and buy stuff at the regular retail prices 85% of the time. I've had to resort to scalpers in order to get the US store exclusives as well as rare stuff like the Eopie, Falumpaset with Ammo Wagon, RH Vader Wave, Luke Tauntaun, and stuff like that. None of that stuff and more have ever been at retail in Canada. For those of you who criticize me for that, too bad. I have my stuff and, if you want these things bad enuff, you can get them too. I'm gonna have to use scalpers if I want the Shuttle, and the exclusives this year too. I'm saving my money now. If you guys don't like this I don't give a rat's arse. This is my hobby. It's the only recreation I do that I really spend any serious amount of money on. I have a job, dog, studies, and freinds I hang out with, but after that stuff, it's the figures. I'm a completest in the sense that if it was in the movie and I like it, I'll get it. I usually don't pass up on the opportunity to build my armies either if I find myself with some extra spending money.

aikman
05-01-2002, 02:01 PM
You are correct im your assumptions.

"Can't remember anywhere that it said 'A consumer will always be limited to just two of any product. nobody has the right to own any more than this alloted number'"

Well, actually, here for us yankees, sometimes stores DO make limits on thier figures 2 max for example

I open mine too , have most of them and buy from the cheapest sources around as well.

Never mind the bollocks is what I say to you!

Tycho
05-01-2002, 02:10 PM
Well, there aren't scalpers here: just collectors and diorama builders. 2 types of fans.

So we all should get along. To Bosskman, I hope you can make friends with someone here from the northern USA that will help you get your shuttle at cost, and perhaps meet you personally to make the cash - ship exchange. We have our differences, but we all like these forums because SW brings us together. I recommend all who are able to, should help our international friends.

Bosskman
05-01-2002, 02:12 PM
I agree completely with Jargo, especially on the "sour grapes" analogy. If anyone should feel bitter over not getting stuff it should be us Canadians (many of us are pretty bitter). I'm not one of them though because nobody, myself or any of you, has a RIGHT to get these figures. Hasbro makes them and people like us buy them. There is no moral obligation on anyone's part to ensure fair and equitable distribution. That's the way it is. I don't have a whole lot of money so I have to spend it wisely. Sometimes I wait for months after stuff has hit the shelves in the States for our stores up here to get stuff, only to end up buying the figs on-line when they don't come. Sometimes, for certain figures (but not all of them) I say "^%$# it, I'll buy them from a scalper. It might cost me more money but at least I won't have to wait three months." The only guilt I feel in those cases is that I probably should have waited a while for the prices to go down a bit. If I can help other collectors out I do. A friend of mine also collects and we usually help each other out for figures. If I find something, I always post it on these forums to let others know when and where. My SW collection is formost among my toys, I even play with them sometimes, and I my figures are always set up in scenes that look so much better the more stormis and BDs and other troops and vehicles I get. If I hasd more room, I'd definately buy more and I even have some of my stuff stored away awaiting my eventual permanendt display once ALL of the figures have been made and the lines end, for me at least. Until that day comes, or until some other unforseen event prevents me, I'll keep collecting and collecting to build up my armies and if that means buying from scalpers sometimes SO BE IT.

aikman
05-01-2002, 02:17 PM
I certainly cant speak for collecting things 'out of USA'.
Although Im sure it would be difficult getting almost anything not from its originator.
My pal is a gundam collector, all the cool stuff is in japan....

Bosskman
05-01-2002, 02:18 PM
Thanks Tycho, but the nearest FAO to me is in Boston MASS. I've given up all hope of getting one of these Shuttles from the US. I'm sure they'll be overseas somewhere like the Eopie was and I'll have to get it that way. I'm putting $200 US, (or about $300 Canadian) aside especially for this. I know it seems like a lot but this is one ship I've been waiting for for years. (I have the vintage one but it just won't do)

IcebergSlim
05-01-2002, 03:02 PM
How exactly are Hangar Duel Anakins used as an army builder?

Tycho
05-01-2002, 03:32 PM
He's not used as an army builder, but go back a page and read one of my previous posts to explain why I bought 11 of him - what they are doing loose - for exactly what reason.

Sorry for the confusion.

Beast
05-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Yeah, they are not used in the same manner as say an army of Naboo soldiers or Stormies would be, but he still did buy more then most people that build army's would. So like I said, Tycho is pretty good, and atleast buys all the figures in mass quantities. So his stores atleast have to restock full cases, and are not just missing 1 or 2 army builder figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedi master sal
05-01-2002, 03:54 PM
I'm with Tycho here.

But first let me say.....I am not one of the people who gets up early to beat the rush. I've never done that and never will.

I go after work 4-5 times a week and have been very successful with my collecting, including army building (with the exception of the naboo guard, same one Tycho needs). The only way I have been able to get nearly everything I want is to go and look. I rarely shop off the internet in fact I would say that 2-3% of my collection is through the net. The rest is blood sweat and tears baby. Going out as many times as I do a week gives me a better shot at finding what I want. I too have a life. I am engaged, have two degrees, and a very good job. (It wasn't always like this) I vowed to myself that when the opportunity arose that I would take full advantage of it.

I have been at the poorest level of humanity climbed out of it and succeeded. It is appalling to think that because some can others think they should not. I too hold to the ideals that a kid should get first dibs. If I'm there and a kid needs a fig I have I'll give it to him. Heck I've even done that for adults.

I belong to a group of collectors in South West PA and we all help each other out.

I was chastised here on this site for buying 19 preview clonetroopers. Now that people can find them everywhere I don't seem to be hearing the complaint. Just because some of us are able to collect more aggressively doesn't mean we should be attacked for our practices.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that we are the more dedicated collectors but this does hold some thruth to it. If you want those figs go and get them. Unless you don't have transportation or money then quit complaining. Tycho and I seem to make the time to get what we want so should you!

BTW, I have approx 120 Stormtroopers in nearly every type there is ie sandtrooper
snowtrooper
CT ST
Buff ST (95 line)
etc.

I won't apologize for any of them either.

Bosskman
05-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Well said JMS.

Beast
05-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
BTW, I have approx 120 Stormtroopers in nearly every type there is ie sandtrooper
snowtrooper
CT ST
Buff ST (95 line)
etc.
I won't apologize for any of them either.
:eek: Wow, I don't have words that can explain how impressing that is Sal. Hope ya don't mind me calling ya Sal. :D I guess Vader said it best, "Impressive, Most Impressive." I would love to see pictures of your army sometime, J.M. Sal. That just sounds to darn cool. Does those numbers include Biker Scout as well? :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
05-01-2002, 09:01 PM
RE:
snowtrooper
CT ST
Buff ST (95 line)
etc.

hmmm, I hope u didnt mean 120 of each type.
Dont apologize to anyone but yourself, I just dont get it....

aikman
05-01-2002, 09:03 PM
Here might be a dumb question to the builders:

How many stormtroopers is TOO MUCH? 200, 400 ,900?
How deep does this addiction go?

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 11:43 PM
Its no more an addiction than those who buy 2 of each, 1 to open and 1 to keep carded. Army building is just one way people collect. I personally can't imagine why any one wouldn't open everything. For me, it seems that if someone keeps figures carded, what do they care what's in the package?

As long as one is collecting, I don't care what quantities people buy, as long as people are having fun doing it.

Tycho
05-02-2002, 01:36 AM
To Aikman.

I buy whatever looks good. I don't do an "Emperor's Arrival scene" precisely because everyone else does.

But I have used 79 Stormtroopers dispersed throughout my dioramas. For example there are 15 distributed throughout my Death Star diorama set up.

Sandtroopers are only really in my Mos Eisley display, and that uses 9 of them. I have 3 in a "searching the desert for the droids" deal that uses the Dewback - and maybe one day an escape pod toy - but that's all I needed there.

There are stopping points. I couldn't even use 100. Buying extras would be going more overboard than I already did. It's one thing to collect parts for a larger project - another to obsess with getting every one you see.

I'm done with Geonosian Warrior (winged carded one) for example. I have 15, no extras.

But I can't speak for everyone who army builds.

eliwankenobi
05-02-2002, 11:45 AM
This is what I see: One collector that "needs" 11 HD Anakins means that leaves 10 collectors with none.
If you army/diorama builders can in good conscience justify purchasing habits like that, knowing how many others you're depriving figures to, then more power to you.

But lets clarify two things:

1. Your reasoning that buying in such numbers helps replenish the stock for everyone is bullsh#t!
All that does is keep the pegwarmers out there longer and keep stores from reordering. The retailers aren't going to order more or restock just because two or three figs aren't showing when they have 10-15 others available.
In this case, you army/diorama builders are just as much responsible as scalpers for figure shortages and inflated secondary market prices.
Why should you army/diorama builders be able to buy 11 of one short-pack figure at regular retail prices and subject 10 other collectors to pay inflated secondary market prices, or wait in hopes that retail stores MIGHT get more in and hope to beat the scalpers? Because you "need" them? Because you're "more dedicated"? Sounds to me like you're just greedy. If you really had the best interests of all collectors in mind - as you so claim - then wouldn't it be more reasonable to purchase just a few of a known short-pack figure, allowing for other, just as dedicated collectors the opportunity to purchase just one? Then if you decide you need more for whatever personal project you're working on, YOU can wait for more to be released (if ever), or resort to the secondary market yourselves. That might put a crimp in your hobby, but it certainly would be more fair to the multitudes of collectors made bitter by your selfish "needs", and would allow everyone the chance to own one for a reasonable price. Such a practice might even discourage scalpers, because if everyone who wants whatever figure can get one, then the scalpers have no reason to hoard and hock them. In the end, that would mean more for all.

2. Don't you army builders DARE criticize us small-time/casual collectors for our disappointment at not being able to find the figures we want. We all have our own collecting/hunting habits and methods, and we should all be entitled to purchase any figure we like without having to resort to the secondary market. Hearing lines like "If you wanted them bad enough..." or "Maybe you should try like me..." makes you all sound like a bunch of arrogant #$&@#$s.
Maybe we all don't have the resources, funds, or time available to raid the stores as often as some of you, but don't you dare question our integrity or dedication to our hobby as we like to - or try to - enjoy it.

Tycho and all you other army/diorama builders out there, I'm happy that you get so much out of your hobby. And your Blockade Runner is quite impressive (that's my fave SW ship). If you're happy with your collection that's fine for you. And just because myself and others are b#tching about your purchasing habits doesn't mean you're not entitled to enjoy what you have.
but just keep this in mind: I can't enjoy your collection. Because of your collection, myself, and nine others, have no HD Anakin. I hope you can enjoy your collection as much knowing this.

Tycho
05-02-2002, 11:49 AM
I didn't say it helped replenish the case assortments.

I do say that Anakin Skywalker is not an army builder.

If I had Luke Skywalker in 11 scenes (bought 11 of him) and he was fighting stormtroopers in all those scenes, then I would probably purchase 33 Stormtroopers so that Luke would always be outnumbered 3-1 to illustrate the tough odds in his struggle.

Thus the stormtrooper is an army builder, as it requires 2 or more in the same scene. I do not use my Anakins next to each other.

Beast
05-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Can we please stop the shortpacking arguments. I've seen enough people saying that Dooku is shortpacked at 1 per case, and it's just not so. That is scalper lies, to try to inflate the value of Dooku. eliwankenobi, Anakin: Hanger Duel is not shortpacked, he ships at 2 per case, just like 95% of the figures in the Saga line. The only figures shortpacked in the line are, Padme, Kit Fisto, C-3PO and R2-D2. And those figures are everywhere. Heck, Hasbro even anticipated the intrest in the CloneTrooper figure and is shipping them at 3-per case, in the Dooku case.

If Tycho buys 11 Hanger Anakin's, He probably buys equal amounts of Yoda, Zam, and Dooku. And a few more Clonetroopers. So in one diorama/army building purchase he has effectivly removed about 5+ cases of figures from the shelf. What does the store do, when they see that there is space on the shelf? They go in the back and put more cases of figures out, so that they have a good selection, and their pegs are full.

Most Wal-Mart's and TRU employees are pretty smart, they know what figures need to be refreshed, so that is the cases that they grab from the storeroom. The problem starts at the stores where they have people that don't know Star Wars from their own backsides, and they just grab any cases at random, and toss them up on the shelf. The stores want to sell you toys, they make money doing it. They are gonna try to have the ones you want, on the shelf for you to buy, if they have them in the backroom.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-02-2002, 12:07 PM
The stores want to sell you toys, they make money doing it. They are gonna try to have the ones you want, on the shelf for you to buy, if they have them in the backroom.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

So what happened to the CommTech Stormies?;)

Tycho
05-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Let me be blunt: There are scalpers there at 7am in the morning when I shop, and they are pulling all the htf figures off the racks as I am.

I know you don't care if I finish 11 scenes with Anakin or never get to because I waited and left 9 behind when I buy my first 2 or whatever you suggest.

You are just bitter. And I don't care.

I do hope you get the figures you want, as I like others enjoying the hobby. But you stated you don't mind if it's harder for me to get 11, and I woke up early and went to the store before work. I don't know what you did, did not do, what shipped to your store, or where you shop. Or even if you can go to the store at that time. If you are sleeping or don't need to be at work until 8 or 9 am like me - Yes YOU can get to the store when everyone's raiding the toy isle. If you really were smart, you would have done it on April 23 when You KNEW they were going to be there! (this assumes of course that your store actually got the case with Anakin, Royal Guard, or whatever you are looking for - so I appologize if they did not).

I'm not attacking you, but some of your beliefs about me, and the possibility of the lack of effort on your part to get out there. I said possibility. Like I said, I don't know your personal circumstances, but yeah - I want to sleep at that time too. But the 23rd was ONE DAY! Geeeze.....

I do not question your dedication to your hobby or how much you enjoy it. I'm right with you there! :)

I think someone else posted that, so it might not have been directed towards me, but they were wrong to suggest that. A person dedicated enough to be this angry or posting here because they are that interested in the figures, is dedicated enough for me. Let's not start defining "True Fans." There's no such thing and nobody cares (that comment was to everyone else not eliwankenobi).

Eliwan, thank you for your compliments on my Blockade Runner. It took a lot of effort to build that ship. It too is one of my favorite SW vehicles, second only to the Falcon.

But back to the guilt you attempted to lay on me about my HD Anakins - only if you live in the San Diego area and shop at Wal*Mart Aero Drive or College Grove did I take YOUR Anakins ;)

I shared with everyone who was there when I was. Giving up several of mine, so I did go to 2 stores to amount to 11 anyway. See some of those other what-did-you-find posts about MM that collaborate my story. They were posted like a week ago and I couldn't go back and edit false claims in there if I wanted to. The system doesn't allow it.

In any case, I've known you in the forums for a little while now and have always been impressed with your thoughtfulness and integrity in the forums. This is not personal. I just think you're wrong on this count. And I do think that you care more about your own collection (naturally) than you do about me getting all of mine, or losing sleep, gas etc. going every day and looking.

Again, if your store got them on the 23rd, and you COULD have gone that morning - you needed to have. They'll ship again, and in larger quantities. I think you're getting worked up all over nothing, if you don't have these. That is the May figure wave anyway - Hasbro just got some of it out early. Yestertoys.com charges like Retail price. And ToysRUs.com charges even less. They have the figures too - including Anakin last time I checked.

Finally, nobody makes you buy them from the secondary market.

Patience, willingness to wake up and hit the store before work or school (if you can), or willingness to shop online at retail sellers, is all it will take.

No appologies. Yes I do like my 11 HD Anakins. Thank you very much :D

he-ro
05-02-2002, 12:10 PM
Do you all remember several months ago, when Hasbro shipped POTF2 Commtech R2 w/holo Leia, Stormtrooper, and Darth Vader to Toys R Us and were selling for $ 1.97. I showed up to TRU only to see SCALPERS rummaging through the cases snagging all the R2's. I got so mad, I thought about punching the guy right then and there. But I thought, "It's just a toy and this guy is a low life loser" so I spared him. I HATE SCALPERS......

Tycho
05-02-2002, 12:12 PM
JarJar - save for MM where most stores did a great job, they do not know or even CARE which figures need to be replenished.

Your argument is invalid.

No I did not buy equal amounts of Zam Wessel. Eliwan Kenobi is right.

I bought from that case:

3 Zams
9 Clone Troopers (red style)
11 Anakins
7 Dookus (would have bought 9 if I could have)
4 Yodas

Save for MAYBE buying 2 more Dooku, I'm done with that assortment. I am sleeping in and not in anybody's store now. If scalpers are buying figures, I can't help it. They just didn't get MINE!

Tycho
05-02-2002, 12:19 PM
Got a plane to catch! I'll see you at Celebration 2 or I'll post again on Monday.

Happy Hunting!

-Tycho

Beast
05-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
JarJar - save for MM where most stores did a great job, they do not know or even CARE which figures need to be replenished.

Your argument is invalid.

No I did not buy equal amounts of Zam Wessel. Eliwan Kenobi is right.

I bought from that case:

3 Zams
9 Clone Troopers (red style)
11 Anakins
7 Dookus (would have bought 9 if I could have)
4 Yodas

Save for MAYBE buying 2 more Dooku, I'm done with that assortment. I am sleeping in and not in anybody's store now. If scalpers are buying figures, I can't help it. They just didn't get MINE!
Well, my stores seem to be doing a good job at it, but it depends on if your Toy Department people have a brain. I'll stop in one day, and see no Luminara's or Dooku's on the pegs at my local Wal-Mart. If I stop in the next day, I always see those figures back on the pegs. So atleast some stores have intelligent enough toy department employees. Of course, I am sure that's a rare thing. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
05-02-2002, 12:45 PM
My brief opinion on this is as follows:

What another person buys is no one else's business.

If they buy 11 Anakins, good for them.

If they buy 1, and leave 10 for everyone else, good for them.

These figures are going to be so overproduced, there will be plenty of Anakin and Dooku jokes in these forums in 2 months.

If scalpers want to buy all of the figures they see, good for them.

I personally will not buy figures over a certain price no matter what. The only figure I have not found in stores for a resonable price is Zuckuss. That is it. I found tons of commtech Stormtroopers, Dooku's, etc. So I bought plenty of stormies. Just like I buy the last copy of a CD and don't worry about whether or not everyone has gotten a copy. I but what I want, and maybe what my good friend wants, because that is all I care about. Is what I buy in GA going to affect someone in CA? Nope. To get mad at someone because they bought multiple copies of figures is borderline stupid. That's like being mad at rich people for hoarding all the money. If you want it, it's out there to get. Some may have to work harder than others, but that is how life works in all facets.

You know, that wasn't too brief was it?

stillakid
05-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
My brief opinion on this is as follows:

What another person buys is no one else's business.

If they buy 11 Anakins, good for them.

If they buy 1, and leave 10 for everyone else, good for them.

These figures are going to be so overproduced, there will be plenty of Anakin and Dooku jokes in these forums in 2 months.

If scalpers want to buy all of the figures they see, good for them.

I personally will not buy figures over a certain price no matter what. The only figure I have not found in stores for a resonable price is Zuckuss. That is it. I found tons of commtech Stormtroopers, Dooku's, etc. So I bought plenty of stormies. Just like I buy the last copy of a CD and don't worry about whether or not everyone has gotten a copy. I but what I want, and maybe what my good friend wants, because that is all I care about. Is what I buy in GA going to affect someone in CA? Nope. To get mad at someone because they bought multiple copies of figures is borderline stupid. That's like being mad at rich people for hoarding all the money. If you want it, it's out there to get. Some may have to work harder than others, but that is how life works in all facets.

You know, that wasn't too brief was it?

I have to agree with everything you said! Brief and to the point. Even better.:)

aikman
05-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Ok so to summarize:
Buy as many as you want , clear out the store if you like , caring only about what you want.

Main Entry: self∑ish
Pronunciation: 'sel-fish
Function: adjective
Date: 1640
1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>

no need to respond to this post,
'nuff said

stillakid
05-02-2002, 02:19 PM
The fact is, life isn't fair. I'd love to mount armies of guys, but for various reasons (my own limited cash supply, limited supply of product, my own limited schedule to go out and find the product I wish to buy, etc), I can't to the extent that I'd like to. So, while I'm not at the store, other people have the right to buy the things that I'm not there to buy. If they are scalpers, then don't buy from them and they won't continue with that money making scheme. If they are other collectors, then that's their right to buy whatever they want to. If there isn't enough product to go around to meet the demand, it's the suppliers fault. But even they don't even know what will sell and what will collect dust until it's been out there for awhile. Is the entire situation fair? No. Is it "selfish" on somebodies part? I suppose so, but if I were to bash someone else for taking what they want at the expense of my own desires, I'd be considered selfish too.

Now knowing that there is a limited supply of product, should "collectors" intentionally limit their purchases in the event that the next guy through the door isn't a scalper and wants to buy something? That should be the real question here. It's a tough one to answer.

QLD
05-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Am I selfish? Absoultely. But we live in a selfish society. Would I buy all of one thing, and share with other collectors around me? Probably not. I can be generous. I share with my friends and other collectors I meet in the stores quite frequently. I mean, I deserved that R2 w/holo Leia after listening to a 2 hour speech and crappy high school marching band music at a Wal-Mart grand opening. I am happy to share with others. But not to the point where I am not going to buy the 5 stormtroopers I see on the shelf because some guy in Utah is having rouble finding them. So, buy what you want, it's the American way.

Collecting is a selfish hobby. I find it ironic how people brag about their finds, and then chastise others for "buying" too much. I mean, by some people's argument, wouldn't having a carded and loose collection be selfish? That is buying 2 when you only need one. One to never open, when some poor kid who can't find one desperately needs one. Poor guy, he'll be so sad. It's the same rational.

Plus, everything I buy is opened and properly used, not sitting in a box in the corner. :D

eliwankenobi
05-02-2002, 05:45 PM
My apologies to you Tycho, for using you as an example of what drives us small-timers bonkers.
But by posting in these forums what extensive amounts one has of any HTF figure necessary for whatever you choose to do with them, one opens themself up for criticism from the many others who are just as dedicated to the same hobby but have none.

What I see happening here is a community of fellow collectors that is being divided into two arenas: the Haves, and the Have-nots.
If the Haves want to have, so be it. Just don't rub it in the noses of the Have-nots. All this does is create bitterness and animosity among both sides. The Haves have to defend their Haveness (??), and the Have-Nots feel the need to cry out for their injust Have-Notness (??).
I could really care less if someone wants to spend all their time and resourses (or whatever they deem necessary) to complete the collection of their dreams. We should all be able to do that, in whatever fashion we choose, without being criticized.
But just because one is a more aggressive collector doesn't mean that they're any more deserving of any one item than any other. If your desire is to create grand armies and dioramas, then so be it. Have fun. But if one chooses to purchase in quantities vast enough so as to create an inconvenience to others - and then proceed to announce it to the world of those that have none - you need to be ready for some flack.
I have no doubt in the end that we will all be Haves in due time, in one way or the other.
Good luck and happy hunting to all...

RooJay
05-02-2002, 07:18 PM
O.k. not to get involved in an argument where there can never be a clear winner, but I just want to clarify: If I were to win the lottery sometime in the near future...say 200 million dollars...then it would be seen as totally acceptable by army building proponents for me to go out and spend all 200 mil on new Star Wars figures clearing out the stock of however many stores that would allow me to do? I'm not throwing in with either side of this debate...just trying to bring up a point.

By the way, that works out to roughly 33 milion individual figures pre-tax.

Beast
05-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
O.k. not to get involved in an argument where there can never be a clear winner, but I just want to clarify: If I were to win the lottery sometime in the near future...say 200 million dollars...then it would be seen as totally acceptable by army building proponents for me to go out and spend all 200 mil on new Star Wars figures clearing out the stock of however many stores that would allow me to do? I'm not throwing in with either side of this debate...just trying to bring up a point.
Yes, it would be acceptable. Sure that store won't have any stock for a few days, but if a large purchase like that goes by, you can bet that the Toy Department Manager, Store Manager, and Regional Manager, would be on the phone quick as a flash to order more. Same thing that happens when they are running low on, or have run out of anything. And then they would have more for everyone that didn't get figures when you purchased the entire supply. But you better open every one of those, and only keep 1 of each carded. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
05-02-2002, 07:28 PM

Yes, it would be acceptable. Sure that store won't have any stock for a few days, but if a large purchase like that goes by, you can bet that the Toy Department Manager, Store Manager, and Regional Manager, would be on the phone quick as a flash to order more. Same thing that happens when they are running low on, or have run out of anything. And then they would have more for everyone that didn't get figures when you purchased the entire supply. But you better open every one of those, and only keep 1 of each carded. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
No, not THAT store...estimating that a store would receive initially 50 cases of figures, with 12 in each cae, we're talking about 600 figures in a store, which works out to 55,000 stores! I'm not even certain Hasbro produces on that level, which would make me effectively the owner of every Star Wars figure on the market from the time a become a multi-millionaire!
Also, keep in mind that it would probably take Hasbro about a year to get retailers back up to current levels, and I'd probably still have more money to buy whatever they were able to produce.