PDA

View Full Version : I give up

sith_killer_99
04-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Well, this is it! I have decided to give up collecting the new stuff.

For the most part anyway.;)

I will no longer be a "completist" throwing good money after BAD figures.

I will keep all my older stuff up thru and including POTJ.

As for the new line. I am just too disapointed with the direction that Hasbro has taken with it.

There are a total of 5 figures from the first 27 that I like. I now have these loose and will no longer collect new stuff MOMC!:greedy:

I plan on saving a bundle, and enjoying what FEW figures from the Blue Card line that I like.

Hasbro has forever changed my collecting style with the new line.:rolleyes: Way to go Hasbro!

From what I have seen so far, there will only be another 5 additions to my collection by years end.

I have even given up collecting the foreign card variations, as well! Hasbro has taken the fun out of it for me.

I am sorry too rant, but I feel it had to be said.

bigbarada
04-30-2002, 10:52 PM
I gave up being a completist with the Ep1 line. There is really no point to "collecting them all," as all it does is give Hasbro good money for bad figures.

2-1B
05-01-2002, 12:26 AM
Welcome sith_killer, I've been of this disposition for almost 2 years now. :)

Look around and find somethin' you like, it's way more enjoyable (and affordable ;) )

chewie
05-01-2002, 12:37 AM
I'm also a part of this collecting guild. Though I end up spending what I would have spent on Star Wars figs on Transformers....

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 12:49 AM
I've never been a completist, and have always just purchased what I liked, and left what I didn't on the shelves.

mark2d2
05-01-2002, 05:51 AM
It really is the only way. Even if every sculpt was somehow just brilliant! There's just bound to be characters you simply don't want or find downright annoying. (Ewoks and JarJar anyone?) Once you stop being a completist, you can "almost" welcome some of the more pointless resculpts with the knowledge that you need only to get the one's you absolutely must have.

InsaneJediGirl
05-01-2002, 09:47 AM
I was never a completist,because it is way too expensive and sometimes figures come out that are not the best of the best:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Club sith_killer_99:crazed: :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
05-01-2002, 10:15 AM
I admit it, I have tried to be a completist for a while. But recently with the new toys I realized it was time to cut the spending and just get what I like. I did buy all the basic figures on the 23rd and ran up a pretty big bill. But I got to thinking later about how some of these figures I probably wouldve left on the pegs. So why would I buy figures I dont really like?
So now I will just focus on what I like.

brentfett
05-01-2002, 10:53 AM
I feel the same way. There is no point at all in being a completist. I only buy the figures that really strike me, and almot none of the vehicles.

OriginalBryGuy
05-01-2002, 11:18 AM
"Never give up. Never surrender!"

I collect figures as I can afford them. I was only able to get 17 figures on the 23rd due to money so I had to make some hard choices as to what to get.

I sometimes look at my collection and think, "I'm spending WAAAAAAY to much on this stuff." Then I realize it's healthier, and cheaper then some peoples habits. And figures...they come out every now and then and cost 7 bucks each. I spend more on dinners out every weekend!

I'd love to have a complete collection of at least one line and I'm hoping AOTC will be it. The numbering system was HASBRO's best new feature bar none! It's so much easier to keep track of them now. I hope they retain it for Episode III figures.

Anyway, buck up there little beautiful sith killer, there's more on the horizon. Snoogins!

Taichi
05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
I never was a completist, and never desired to be one......

I'd rather have the figures I like, rarity or not.....than have a bunch that I didn't like......

JEDIpartner
05-01-2002, 01:56 PM
Uhhh... what were we talking about again?

*scroll*
*scroll*
*scroll*
*scroll*
*scroll*
*scroll*

Oh! Right... I've never been a total completist anyhow. This backslide into hyperposing has made a good deal of these figures unfit to even give one to the mutt to chew on! :crazed: ("Taking a big blue pee Nikto"... need I say more?) :p

pthfnder89
05-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
:crazed: ("Taking a big blue pee Nikto"... need I say more?) :p

*scowls*
"Wha'choo talkin 'bout Wil... uh I mean JEDIpartnr?!" I KNOW you ain't talkin 'bout my Nikto... :mad:

:D

jedi-cpa
05-01-2002, 03:29 PM
I gave up as well.

I am going to try to complete my collection working backwards from the POTJ line.

As far as the new figs, there are certainly a ton everywhere!! KB is selling them for 7.99, no one is buying at that price, I figure I'll grab them there at $2.

And If I do buy and Saga figs it will be at $2 a fig, and only the ones I like, someone suggested jedi and Sith only, I like the idea myself.

CrossWizard
05-01-2002, 03:39 PM
Thats good to hear, buy only what you want, because you like not because you have to.

187-Maul
05-01-2002, 04:01 PM
I've never been a completist and wil never be
there are just too many figs that plain suck and I can't afford that much here in europe
I want about 10 figs of the initial 27 but will likely buy some of the 10 later on discount, and believe me I can be patient and can even pass on the good stuff I want really badly when the price is too high (at least I think I can:) )
till now I've only bought jango KE and only because I found him at a good price (at least better then european toysrus')

Forhekset
05-01-2002, 04:37 PM
I've always only bought what I thought was cool or looked good. So I only have like uh....7 figs from the Ep. 1 line I think? And only some of the POTJ line, but a lot of that is due to the fact that I just haven't found some of the stuff yet. In retrospect there's a few things I've bought that I now realize I don't even care about having (deluxe sail barge Leia, Amanaman with super bendostaff). For the most part though I've pretty much only bought what I really liked (I'm only collecting 20 out of the initial 27 AOTC figs - that isn't leaving out a lot but it's some at least :)). But I don't really buy any of the vehicles or other stuff. Too expensive to be a completist for me anyway, even if I thought every single thing was amazing.

jblodgett
05-01-2002, 04:47 PM
I agree... I only buy the ones I really like. Of the AOTC figs- I only purchased Dooku, Yoda, Jango, HD ANakin, and finally last week I reluctantly purchased an Obiwan, although I think he is an atrocity.

Sometimes I long for the old straight arm, straight leg look of the vintage line.

Taichi
05-01-2002, 04:55 PM
I'm only really collecting the Jedi right now......

unless it catches my eye, I'm not even gonna bother anymore.....

CooLJoE
05-01-2002, 08:38 PM
Personally I'm gonna try and complete the EP2 set. I never did the MM for EP1 and was too young to know/care about the original trilogy (plus gijoe was so much cooler to me back then, same with transformers....but then I never saw the movies til mid-late 80s).

I like the idea of having a full collection of something. Sure some people are disappointed by the EP2 line (and some where of EP1 line), but I still like them. Its Star Wars and thats what matters to me.

plasticfetish
05-02-2002, 03:52 AM
With me it's always been an issue of ... would I have liked that toy when I was seven years old. I'll admit I'm drawn to the newer figures that never would have existed for the vintage lines ... the female tusken raider was one of the few new figures I really got excited about. Such a cool idea. That, and I'm a sucker for any new C-3P0 that comes along.
I'm sure once the movie comes out I'll freak out and buy them all,
like I would have when I was seven ... or maybe I should save for more Jedi Cereal.

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 04:59 AM
Hasbro's really made some changes I don't like - super "dynamic" poses in place of quality articulation; "extreme" blast effects on the guns and sabers (removable or not); cheap gimmicks that overwhelm the quality of the figure; etc.. So, like many of you, Hasbro has broken me of being a completist - there are 10 figures I won't be getting from the initial waves.

humsup
05-02-2002, 09:14 AM
I re-picked up the hobby of SW collecting back in Nov99 and was foolish enough to want to complete the EPI series. But I soon come to realise there are so many versions of the same character that they basically are the same ie Jedi Duel Obi-wan and Jedi Knight Obi-wan (soft good) are basically the SAME fig. Only one has a plastic "skirt" and plait and the other has cloth one and synthetic hair plait. But I still have about 90% of the EPI characters missing only the soft good Qui-Gonn & Swarm JJB and some variations.
Begin to collect POTJs but this time round, decide to only pick up those figs from the OT and refuse to buy any more EPI character.
Now the SAGA cards, I think there are a few very cool EPII characters and I will buy as well as carry on what I have left off from POTJ - only the OT figs.
Therefore, I have quit a completist since EPI and I didn't even complete that range.

he-ro
05-02-2002, 11:53 AM
I'm running out of room to be a completist. I think I will only start buying the figs that I like.