PDA

View Full Version : Is the Captain Typho figure getting enough credit?

2-1B
05-01-2002, 02:44 AM
Wow, this one is now my second favorite Saga figure, right behind Dex. It just keeps growing on me! I know some people find him bland or boring, but I really love this figure. :)

Fairly neutral pose, a bit of positioning in the legs but he looks normal next to this POTF2 Stormtrooper
Nice articulation on the right arm, I'm able to find some cool poses with the blaster
Very nice paint job on the face, eyebrows and eye look great and the eyepatch is satisfactory
Blaster has nice colors, not as gummi as other accessories
Removable helmet!
The biggest surprise to me, :eek: he fits in my Naboo Fighter! Sure, a bit snug but he still fits :happy:

Anything I missed?
Or what don't you like?

I wouldn't mind a holster for that pistol, but it's not too critical to me in this case. :)

mark2d2
05-01-2002, 05:31 AM
I actually thought this figure looked pretty well done when I saw in out in the stores as well. I guess, maybe it's hard for people to get THAT excited about him because he's a human and we really don't know exactly what he will do in ATOC. Plus, it probably doesn't help that Padme's last Head of Security was such a dolt and a lousy Actor to boot.

AT-AT Man
05-01-2002, 07:21 AM
i can't find this fig in stores to get, him along with the tuskan mom are no where to be found. i'm mad.

pthfnder89
05-01-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Wow, this one is now my second favorite Saga figure, right behind Dex. It just keeps growing on me! I know some people find him bland or boring, but I really love this figure. :)
I wouldn't mind a holster for that pistol, but it's not too critical to me in this case. :)

This is a really cool topic Ceasar because I feel the same way. I have to admit that I haven't bought him yet, but that's only because I don't have the money yet. I wanted all the Jedi first.

But I've been so close to getting him everytime I see him because he really looks great!:)

One thing about the holster though; I was wondering why they didn't add one also, but then look at the picture on the front of the card. He doesn't seem to have a holster. His blaster clips on the front of his belt like a lightsaber. And they DID put a small hole on his belt and a peg on the gun so that you can do this! :) That ALMOST made me buy the figure when I saw it.

I think I'm gonna wait until I see what he actually does in the movie. I just can't bring myself to buy it until I see if he does anything important or just sits there and only speaks 3 lines...

LTBasker
05-01-2002, 10:35 AM
While right now I only have this figure on the card, I really like it, even better than the Naboo Security Guard figure. I'm guessing he doesn't have a holster but just carries the gun around attached to his belt like depicted in the picture insert, took me awhile to realize the gun with the peg and his belt with the hole. His blast effect is a let-down though, while it is a cool green, it's longer than his blaster.

2-1B
05-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
One thing about the holster though; I was wondering why they didn't add one also, but then look at the picture on the front of the card. He doesn't seem to have a holster. His blaster clips on the front of his belt like a lightsaber. And they DID put a small hole on his belt and a peg on the gun so that you can do this! :) That ALMOST made me buy the figure when I saw it.

Thank you for that post, I never even looked at the pic - just went right in the trash! And now that I look at the fig again, the peghole is there and the blaster fits!

Guess that answers the question for me personally, as I have not been giving it enough credit. :D

OriginalBryGuy
05-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Yea, Typho deserves credit. I mean, without him there's be no Padme, without Padme, no Luke and Leia....I mean...what's with "The Man" slapping Typho down anyway? I agree, great figure!

Lord Tenebrous
05-01-2002, 12:52 PM
It's a great figure, but to re-enact some of his better scenes, we don't have much yet, and we probably won't for some time.

He's waiting in his bubble for Padme Pilot. Wretched wait until the fall. :(

pthfnder89
05-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
It's a great figure, but to re-enact some of his better scenes, we don't have much yet, and we probably won't for some time.

He's waiting in his bubble for Padme Pilot. Wretched wait until the
fall. :(
Yeah that's my problem too. He doesn't do anything in the trailers (well, except get blown up:D) so I don't know what to do with him until the movie starts.

I'll definitely pick him up to go with my Padme Pilot though.:)

Bosskman
05-01-2002, 02:26 PM
I agree with you too Caesar and made the same observations when I got mine. He's probably one of my favorites just because he's, in my opinion, so .... standard. (I think that's the right word) I've read the novel and he seems like a WAY better character than ol Pankakes.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Typho never gets enough credit. Slaving away hours after hours on those crummy Wal-mart pegs just filling up empty space. Nobody's given this guy his props for trying to keep it real. How would you like being the guy to follow up Captain Panaka and his double-fisted, kung-fu gripping blaster hold?! Not easy, huh?

So while you're there in your frumpy housecoat with hair up in curlers, eating bon-bons and watching Oprah, he's out there day after day doing work for the man to bring home some paper.

I think we should feel damn lucky to have a pegwarmer like this guy instead of taking him for granted! If it weren't for him, we'd have the cards clogged with Dookus and Yodas, and we all know they'd never sell!

:)

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 02:52 PM
I think he's a damn decent figure, because of his mediocricy. He's got a very good sculpt, no gimmick, removable helmet (always a plus in my book.)

Because he's a pegwarmer though, he'll never be truly appreciated. He doesn't do much right now by himself either, if we get more Naboo guys, and the Padme pilot, I think more people will like this figure.

Jargo
05-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Well I like Typho heaps! Liked him from the first prototype pics I saw. It's the best actor likeness of any in all the figures. Seriously, I saw a QT movie someone did from TOYFAIR and if I hadn't known it was a figure I could have sworn that it was footage of Jay L.
Mine has a wee problem standing because the plastic wasn't trimmed right and his leg sticks a bit and the helmet doesn't fit quite right so he can't see where he's going properly, but he's one great figure. The blaster is definately supposed to go on his belt as that's how he wears it in the movie.
Something I'm thinking though, Typho doesn't wear this outfir for more than a few split seconds of screentime and wears the blue Captain of the security forces uniform the rest of the time. I wonder will we be forever limited to just the pilot Typho or will we get him in his more normal attire? Hope so. But this one is cool and all the better for getting Padders pilot later this year so he's not on his lonesome like poor old Taun We. I'm going to buy another Typho to customise and a host of padme figures so he can command a bevy of female pilots. I only have two N1 fighters for them to fly but maybe he'll have a chickie pilot for every day of the week... :happy: Keeeeewl........!

Spot on sculpt though whoever it was at Hasbro that did this. top marks. 10/10

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 04:47 AM
I think he's an OK figure, but he seems a little skinny and his face paint seems really blah (probably the eyebrows are most to blame, maybe the mouth too). He's pretty cool, and his blast effect is the only really clear one, but I can't say he's fantastic (especially since mine also has a problem standing).

he-ro
05-02-2002, 12:04 PM
I think he's a cool figure too. I picked aup a second one to open and display. He goes well standing next to Captain Panaka.

Forhekset
05-02-2002, 12:35 PM
I don't doubt the sculpt and detail on Typho are ok, most of the AOTC figs are pretty much the same way. However he looks boring and seems like a boring character, thus I haven't bought him. Same reason I haven't bought a Boba or OPD Anakin. They look boring. The gimmicks and dynamic poses aren't what make me buy or not buy any of the new figs, it's just whether or not I think they look cool.