PDA

View Full Version : I wanna open them, but should I?

Tauran
05-01-2002, 04:44 PM
This is like an age old dilemma when it comes to collecting figures, the question of whether or not I should open them. In the past with the Phantom Menace line i decided to open them all up and set them on a shelf in my room but now I'm wondering what to do with my AOTC figures. I don't have the funds to get one to open and one to keep in the case, so that not really an option.

Let me get your views and opinions and your preferences. Are you an opener or a person who keeps em nice and pretty in their packaging. And what do ya think I should do?

Personally I'm thinkin about just ripping them all open and having some fun with em, but maybe then I'm ruining an investment in good carded action figures. HURM!!! HELP!

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Rip 'em open! I can't speak for everyone, but I never leave anything in their packaging. I need to be able to play with them, set them up, whatnot. They're too cool to leave in their packaging, IMO.

If you like them just hanging on a wall, that's cool too. But don't keep them carded just because you think they might be worth something later on. Collect to have fun, not to invest.

Beast
05-01-2002, 04:50 PM
If your thinking of them as an investment, your in the wrong mindset. None of the figures will ever really be valuable, no matter what. There are so many people keeping a set carded or scalpers hoarding them for hopes of scoring big one day, they won't ever sell for much over retail.

If your a Star Wars fan and collector, and don't plan to sell them ever, then I offer you this advice. Free them from their plastic prisons and enjoy them. They are alot funner to display and play with then they are to hang on a wall, or store in a box.

Right now my AOTC's Jedi are fighting a loosing battle on my computer desk against my E1, POTJ, and AOTC's Battle Droids, with a few Destroyer Droids and Super Battle Droids tossed in to the mix. But here comes Jar Jar: Senator leading a squad of CloneTroopers to save the day. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

therock0603
05-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Well I used to open all mine when I was younger, and displayed them on a shelf in my room. Now with all the figures I get, I just leave them in the package and hang them on my wall. I have 15 AOTC figures on the card on my wall. It's just personal preference. I never intend to sell mine, but I just prefer to have them in the package now.

therock0603
05-01-2002, 05:04 PM
And yeah, JarJar is right. These figures will probably never be worth a thing. They're too widely produced and popular now. Everyone gets them. The reason the old vintage figures are worth so much is because Star Wars wasn't as big back then as it is now. When the first movie came out, not that many people cared. I mean, it's like if some new sci-fi movie came out nowadays and everyone is like "yay, that's cool" but they don't all rush out and buy the toys and everything else in hopes of them being worth something.

187-Maul
05-01-2002, 05:05 PM
I'd say rip 'em open cause they're no fun carded
I don't really play with them but holding them in my hand and look for different cool poses gives me a great feeling
oh BTW if someone hasn't noticed, I'm an opener:D

CrossWizard
05-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Open each and every one of those plastic suckers, and enjoy them to the fullest.

Beast
05-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by therock0603
And yeah, JarJar is right. These figures will probably never be worth a thing. They're too widely produced and popular now. Everyone gets them. The reason the old vintage figures are worth so much is because Star Wars wasn't as big back then as it is now. When the first movie came out, not that many people cared. I mean, it's like if some new sci-fi movie came out nowadays and everyone is like "yay, that's cool" but they don't all rush out and buy the toys and everything else in hopes of them being worth something.
Not to mention in the vintage days, alot fewer people actually collected them mint on card. That's why a vintage figure that sells for 10-20 dollars loose, can fetch a few hundred on a card. Vintage Boba Fett is a good example there, his loose figure isn't worth all that much. But on a 21 back card you got a nice windfalll there. Because mostly everyone got their Boba by mail-order at that time, the carded figure is worth a ton. While there are tons of loose vintage figures out there, carded figures are a little rarer, depending on series and charecter. Hence their value. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Forhekset
05-01-2002, 05:19 PM
I open almost everything I buy. The only figs I actually have in the packaging are my 25th anniversary sets (as they can't really be posed any other way and the box shows off the figures pretty nicely), and one of my 300th edition Boba Fetts.

I think looking at the figures out of the packaging arranged in some sort of display is 10,000 times nicer than looking at a wall of unopened plastic and cardboard but it's all personal preference I suppose.

187-Maul
05-01-2002, 06:47 PM
I opened my 25th anniversary vader-ben duel too cause they are standing in a somewhat stupid pose like they fighting side to side
and not confronting eachother
I'll make a small diorama for them so they will stand in there like in the movie and still have a good background/floor/surrounding

Dryanta
05-01-2002, 07:08 PM
I open everything.They are toys.Besides if I can get evryone to open I'll have the only MOC figs. Jk.No really I open everything.I'm going to open Jorj in a week or so.No big deal.It's still a toy.Play with them!!

Tauran
05-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the viewpoints people, I think I am going to open em up and have some fun (at least more fun than just staring at them on the wall). Maybe if I get a variant or something I'll keep it in the package.

If you haven't already put in your thoughts, please do, I haven't made up my mind entirely yet, and I'm still interested in seeing how many of you folks are openers or carders. Looks like openers are winning though..... :)

Wonderboy
05-01-2002, 07:32 PM
I don't open them. Not because I think I'll put my kids through college one day with them, but because I just think they look better on the card. Easier to store as well...i always end up losing loose figures.

stillakid
05-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Open. Vintage toys are worth money because nobody knew any better at the time. Now, everybody and their mother has one mint figure stashed away in hopes of cashing in. Besides, how else can you flip Dooka and Obi Wan? :)

Dar' Argol
05-01-2002, 08:01 PM
I am a carded/loose collector. I enjoy having them hanging on my wall in their plastic prisons. But if its a really cool fig, and I have the extra green, I get 2 and open it. But I understand the no extra green thing. It ultimatly your decision to open or not to open. I don't keep them in the package for value, although a few varaints I have are worth a bit, I just like the whole packaging design with the fig in it. Plus, its a little easier to display them all up on the wall. There, my 2 cents:D

CooLJoE
05-01-2002, 09:34 PM
I only open my duplicates. 1 for storage and 1 for opening. Sure they might not be worth anything right now. And some say they never will be. But I'm looking at keeping mine til im old and grey. By then I'm sure they'll have a good value. Plus I like the look and feel of having a carded version. Opening is fun, but only those ones I really like.

aharry
05-01-2002, 10:00 PM
I do the 1 open/1 carded thing. I have all the carded figures sitting on a shelf with the one I opened standing in front of in a different pose if the figure permits. I only buy one vehicle and open it and hang them from the roof of my mock Star Wars museum room, the special stuff like Boba 300, 25th anniversary figures, or cinema scenes I bought and left packaged.

Dak Powers
05-01-2002, 11:18 PM
I'm a wall-hanger. In the OC days I used to open up stuff and tried to play with them but it just got old. IMO, they look 100x better hanging on a wall. They never lose my interest that way.

bigbarada
05-01-2002, 11:46 PM
I usually collect loose figures; but have noticed a trend since I no longer have a lot of storage space. All my figures just end up piled in a box when I lose interest. So I am seriously thinking about switching to carded collecting, since it is easier to hang them on a wall than to try to display them loose.

QLD
05-01-2002, 11:53 PM
Like I have said before. Why else would you buy them unless you are going to open them? I mean, noone keeps their DVD players in the package. Just my thoughts. :)

PloKoon2385
05-02-2002, 12:02 AM
Personally, I always open them, unless I get several of a particular figure. Besides, they provide good stress relief. Just knock off Anakin's arm or cut Darth Maul in half when you are stressed. And personally, I don't think people have any right to complain about articulation or detatchable appendages, etc, unless they open them. They have nothing to complain about if they are never going to take them out of the plastic packaging. OPEN THEM!:D

Beast
05-02-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Like I have said before. Why else would you buy them unless you are going to open them? I mean, noone keeps their DVD players in the package. Just my thoughts. :)
Sadly, quite a few people do that. Sometimes they end up with a valuable disc that they can sell later. The first 2-disc release of Army of Darkness, some of the limited edition Anchor Bay sets, and Criterions that are discontinued fetch a mint on Ebay. For instance Salo, a Criterion Collection movie originally sold for 40.00 and was quickly taken off the market due to the director's family, regularly sells for around 500.00.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
05-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Go to the Star Wars fan film network at Atomfilms.com.
Watch "Figure Club"
Then, only then, will you understand. :)

humsup
05-02-2002, 01:00 AM
I have the same dilema ever since I started collecting SW 3 years ago. But my idea is not to keep it carded for future value. As I always aspire to create my own lil' starwars museum when I move to my new house 2 years time, need to keep them carded to preserve its "original-in-the-package-look". So at this moment, if I want to open a fig, I always try to get double.
Since this is not an option to you, I suggest you open them up if you only have its future value concern holding you back. I would not think these figs will make you a millionaire in the future.

Tauran
05-02-2002, 04:36 AM
thnx again to all the new people, but i have to say that now I am kind of split on the decision becasue for awhile there folks were mostly saying to open them but now I'm thinking about hanging them up on the wall. I will decide soon hopefully on their ultimate fate, but for now (until I get all of them) I am just gonna hang them up and that way if in the end I decide to open them I can have like an all night "tear open the package and battle with the figures bonanza". :)

P.S. What is the best way to hang them up or how do you hang them up? I'd like to know. I think putting shelves up might be a little beyond me but would seriously appreciate some suggestions on the hanging method. thnx ahead of time :)

Z28Johnny
05-02-2002, 10:27 AM
I have one of each and every figure, vehicle, and accessory packaged and displayed on walls and shelves in my black painted star wars room. It is very impressive, even for people who don't like SW to walk in the room and see all the figures neatly in their package. I do however open all the Starwars legos and display them on a shelf because their pakaging doesn't show much. And on the floor I have a mix of about 80 figures and 10 vehicles open. I love having them open to play with them and set up scenes. BUT one word of advise for opening. If you open every figure to play with you will have a lot of loose guns, and sabers, and it is hard to keep track of all of the parts. So if your going to buy ALL the figures, you should have enough money to buy extras of your favorites to open. If you aren't going to buy ALL of them then I would with out a doubt open them up!

How to hang them? I use push pins (they come in multicolor or clear packs, buy the clear) you push them right into the wall and the part that sticks out is perfect for the original punch hole on the card. Some cards are off center and may tilt, but not too bad. Remember, once you open, you can't put them back in their package!!

187-Maul
05-02-2002, 12:48 PM
man that sounds cool
maybe have some pics of your room?