PDA

View Full Version : Milk ad with the dog & peanut butter, I can't stand it!!!

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 02:48 AM
God I hate this ad! I don't know what it is, but every time it comes up on my TV, I wanna slash open all the milk cartons at the store!!! Does anybody actually LIKE this ad?

"... and what's the deal with airline food?!? Is it chicken, is it fish? I don't know what it is!"

Wolfwood319
05-02-2002, 03:35 AM
I hate that one too. But the one I really hate is the "Can you hear me now?" ones. I swear, every time I see that stupid commercial, or when someone says that to me, I want to stick my head in the microwave....:mad:

TeeEye7
05-02-2002, 07:31 AM
That's the whole idea, guys. Advertisers want a reaction, good or bad, that will keep their product in the mind of the consumer.

In a past life, I worked as a graphic artist. I would try to entice or annoy my target audience into keeping our firm or products in the forefront of their minds and wallets.

It's all about recognition....getting that word out!

I agree with Mr. 319: It's an extremely annoying commercial for me too. However, I know it's Verizon I now love to hate! :evil:

vulcantouch
05-02-2002, 10:11 AM
. . .w/the anorexic & goateed, semi-ethnic hipsters poplockin & singin along to the tune :p where's a nice carbomb when you need one, vt sed as he hit mute for the gillionth time :evil:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-02-2002, 11:56 AM
JT, you and I eerily think alike yet again! I feel sad for the animal; I expect PETA to file a suit soon.

As to TeeEye's point, advertisers want to SELL their products, too. Just because we've mentioned it, does it make us want to buy more milk? Or peanut butter? Not me.

Others I loathe:
= "Can you hear me now?" also
= EVERY SINGLE "The Truth" anti-smoking ad! (These are WASTING all the anti-tobacco funds! :mad: Rats in subways? Body bags on sidewalks? Airplane banners? Do they think these will really be effective?)
= Old Navy/Gap
= Beer ads where the drink is more important than a person, keeping an appointment, etc.
= Local ad that uses "Oh baby!" to sell cars, but there's an awful adult mouth CGI'd onto a baby's face that doesn't look real AT ALL!
= "This movie is the #1 [genre] film for 1.457 weeks in a row! "

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I hate that one too. But the one I really hate is the "Can you hear me now?" ones. I swear, every time I see that stupid commercial, or when someone says that to me, I want to stick my head in the microwave....:mad: LOL! If you use a cellphone, you basically are already doing that. :D But I am sick of that one as well, though nowhere near as violently as I am of the milk one.

TeeEye, do you think tv stations want that reaction? I change the channel every time that ad comes up, that can't be good for a station's advertising revenues if a lot of folks do that.

VT, I expect that sort of slop, and I too mute the tube, but only this dog/peanut butter/milk ad gets me honked-off enough to flip the dial ("uncle JT, what's a 'dial' and what's it got to do with a TV?"). Actually, one of those ads (not sure if it's Mitsu or not) gets me pretty close, the one with the girl who did too much extacy at the rave and thinks the madison avenue techno is worth gyrating to.

BCJ, with those "The Truth" ads, it seems to me like the Tobacco companies have corrupted the ads their money is being used to produce - antismoking ads never used to be this veiled or annoying, and there didn't used to be so many hokey "look how much Tobacco companies help the community" ads either.

As for the others you mentioned, I've sorta accepted what Madison ave shoves down our throats because it's really not that much different from 25 years ago. Though to give counterpoint to that, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Old Navy or Gap store.

El Chuxter
05-03-2002, 01:21 PM
I actually like the milk ad with the dog and peanut butter. (Wait! Stop throwing rocks at me!) But most of the other ones that have come up annoy me.

I also hate the stupid "zoom zoom" commercials for some car company.

And last night I saw a commercial that played one of the instrumentals from the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds (I think it's "Let's Go Away For Awhile") to advertise the Gap! BLASPHEMY!

TeeEye7
05-05-2002, 08:09 AM
JT:

TV stations and advertisers alike don't mind a negative reaction. It works like a catalyst as well as a positive reaction.

If people put up a fuss (positive or negative) over a product or advertising, it catches someone else's curiosity and they tend to investigate to see just what's up with it. That curious mind may actually like the product or the ad and, in turn, purchase the product. At worst, it prolongs the curiosity and the name and/or product recognition. It's a wierd type of domino effect.

Just look at this thread. People sharing their likes and dislikes over ad catch phrases, music, images, etc. We all know to which company/product the poster refers by the element of annoyance without naming names It helps an advertiser perpetuate (for better or worse) their names and products. That's what they're are looking for!

Even if you pass, and change the channel on an ad, your reaction as to "why" this was done will influence someone somewhere down the line. It's kinda like the Force and how it affects the weak-minded! ;)

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 12:35 AM
LOL! but consider how few replies this thread has versus The Osbournes or "Jesus Loves You" threads. :D

TeeEye7
05-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Touché :)