PDA

View Full Version : The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight 14!!!

Tycho
05-02-2002, 02:15 AM
Tonight it's the B-wing versus the TIE Bomber!

I'm giving you this sure-to-be-hardcore fight early, for 2 good reasons:

1) I'm leaving for the Star Wars Celebration in about 10 hours from this point in time when I start this match

and

2) There is no decision yet in the closest match ever in the history of the SSG Battle of the Machines, Fight 13 - the Skiff vs. the AAT!

There's one more day to vote over there in that match, but if it is tied, I am going to make the call based on counting individual posts stating fans' reasons that one vehicle is better than the other. One post per individual will be counted as a vote.

That being said, this new match might also be very, very close!

The Imperial Navy's TIE BOMBER was only just released about one month ago. It is still only first being found by many collectors!
A brand new original body sculpt featuring twin body-pods and great details contributes to this first-time ever offering of this awesome vehicle! The ship is quite a good sized vehicle and features an opening cockpit that holds one TIE Pilot action figure that's included. The difference between this figure and the carded one released in 1996 would be jointed knees, and it's equivalent to the pilot that comes with this year's Toys R Us exclusive, the Interceptor. Meanwhile, the TIE Bomber is a Wal*Mart Exclusive that makes a blast on the collectors' sites with 3 detailed plasma bombs that are gravity activated from a firing control on top of the ship's weapons module!

The B-wing fighter rounds out the Starfighter Fleet of the Rebel Alliance and makes its debut in the modern collection with updated colors used in the remake of the 1984 Kenner mold. The ship now boasts membership in Blue Squadron which was used in the Battle of Endor to attack the Imperials' more heavily armed capital ships. The B-wing fighter features remote activated landing gear, and by swiveling a carefully camaouflaged knob that serves as an engine exhaust nozzel, the ship's attack S-foils can be deployed! Detailed weapons bristle from every extremity of the ship, including the gravity operated rotating cockpit which swivels to keep the Sullustan pilot (included) always in a position that matches the basic 1st dimensional plane of the interstellar battlefield!

These ships represent the smallest heavy assault craft of the Imperial and Rebel navies.

Which one of them could be your favorite Hasbro toy?

Vote now and let the battle begin!

(Again, if it's close, I will count one vote per discussion post, per person. Have fun with the thread discussing the merits of each ship, but don't forget the AAT and the Skiff in the Fight 13 post)

See you after the Celebration!

Fight on!

2-1B
05-02-2002, 02:25 AM
I own neither and have seen neither in person - that being said I'll vote Bomber. :D Both ships seem very cool from the images I've seen, so it's almost a toss up. I'll give the Bomber credit for being an all new release. I'm not sure I like the use of a Sullustan pilot though, he seems too unique if someone wanted to collect a fleet of B-Wings.

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 02:31 AM
Not yet owning the TIE Bomber, which was just released, I cannot render an opinion. Are you gonna do Ep 2 vehicle battles? If not, then I think this one may have to go too.

Wolfwood319
05-02-2002, 02:32 AM
I have to go with the Bomber. I don't know how close this thing is to scale, but it seems pretty darn close to me. Its so cool. The B-Wing was overpriced, under-sized, and had a bad pack-in figure to boot. (Not saying that the TIE pilot was better, but at least it was more generic.)

Bomber all the way.

EDIT: What was that "code" - hot/not - all about? More mysteries produced in the weee hours of the morn. This is indeed a disturbing place.:stupid:

Tycho
05-02-2002, 02:45 AM
To answer JediTricks question:

Yes, Episode 2 vehicles will take each other on in the final 2 rounds of the Preliminaries. Waiting another week for the first of these matches will allow more people who plan to purchase them the chance, plus allow others an opportunity to open them if they have not already done so! Geeze my latest favorite ship is amongst those!

Meanwhile, I did the best I could to keep ships from the same movies together, so prejudice concerning one film or another, or the fact that no one has seen one movie yet, would not influence the decisions on which was the better toy.

Surely everyone can at least see these toys in the stores now. None seem to be VHTF.

To answer Wolfwood's question and comment:

JediTricks had a typo and he took care of that. We can all edit our posts now if we want to, since that is no longer an issue.

"Typo" is not a Star Wars character. :D (yet)

As to the B-wing, the toy size to the supposedly real ship scale in proportion to a figure is questionable. I just wanted people to note that I shrank the image of the B-wing in my picture I made of the ships fighting, in order to make it appear that the B-wing was further away and chasing the Bomber.

As long as I'm posting this early in the match, I'll reveal that I voted for the B-wing. In spite of longing for a TIE Bomber for just about all of my natural life, for a big ship, it could have had more features (like forward firing missles, too). Don't get me wrong - I love it. But the B-wing is chock-full of fun stuff to do with it , and the fact that they recognized that the Alliance had alien pilots in their squadrons was too cool! I gotta give Hasbro kudos for the packaging on both ships though! Nice job!

But I vote for the B-wing.

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 02:53 AM
Actually, it wasn't a typographical error, I was testing a board feature "code" and since I was here, it was the right place at that time. Dunno what this new editing thing Tycho is talking about though.

Tycho
05-02-2002, 03:03 AM
Just didn't want all the excitement of typographical errors to take away from the somewhat less interesting discussion we could have about these vehicles. That's all ;)

Beast
05-02-2002, 04:03 AM
Gotta go with the TIE Bomber, even though this is a real tough close call for me. I love the detail work, and the movie correct paint job they did on the B-Wing, but it's still just a retooled and repainted vintage vehicle.

Hasbro really showed what they could do with all new molds, instead of re-issued ships. I wish they would do more new versions of the OT ships, instead of just re-issuing the old ones. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I can buy new versions of the vintage ships. But totally new versions like Vader's Tie, The Tie Bomber, and the Power FX X-wing are so much better.

The B-Wing does look alot better in it's crisp new Blue paintjob. The pilot is a big snore though. They should have packed Jorg Sucal in with the B-wing, that would have been alot cooler. Heh, I just thought of it. Lucas has now appeared as both an Imperial TIE Pilot in the Action Fleet line, and now a Rebel Pilot in the Hasbro line. :D

I am pleased that this makes my 2000th post, and I would like to thank everyone that has to sit thru my defending of the toys and movies that I love so much. I wanted to be sure I could become a Dark Master in Tycho's great battle poll thread. Now Big Barada and I, will start contacting the other siths and inviting them to a party. Remember only 2 there are, a Master (Big Barada) and an Apprentice (Myself, Darth Binks). :evil: Just kidding you guys, you're all great, and I am proud to be part of this great community. As always:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Z28Johnny
05-02-2002, 08:32 AM
I voted for the B-Wing, because I believe it has much more playability. It is awesome fun to fly around attacking other vehicles with the swivel cockpit reacting to each and every turn. Sure it can be exciting with the bomber to fly-by a innocent landed ship and drop a few bombs, but come on! Wouldn't you rather be flying around in a chase? B-Wing all the way!

Rogue II
05-02-2002, 09:06 AM
I wasn't expecting a battle like this until the later rounds. They both seem to be great. Both of these were exclusives, right? Target and Walmart?

I voted for the B-Wing because I don't have the Tie Bomber to compare it to. Granted, I haven't really looked too hard for it. IT seems to do more than the bomber. Yes, the figure is pretty lame, especially since it is almost the same on that came in the Rebel Pilots cinema scene.

For the record, isn't "Typo" the guy at Hasbro who edits all of the text that goes on the Force Files and cards?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Excellent Tycho! Another great matchup.

This one's another toughie. I really like the TIE/B, mostly because it's a first sculpt but also because I finally found one. :)

The B-Wing is nice looking, but the price was ridiculous. Both have shortcomings: 1) being exclusives, 2) having nonvehicle-exclusive figures (B-Wing pilot was pretty much the one from the CS and the TIE Pilot was in the TIE/I), and 3) no electronics.

Due to the fact that the TIE/B is cooler looking and has a cheaper price (and sort of cause it was so hard to find), I give it my vote.

Dak Powers
05-02-2002, 10:36 AM
Have to go with the B-wing... The new colours give my old one a good companion in my room :)

jedi master sal
05-02-2002, 10:36 AM
I am pleased with both and am having a hard time deciding so I'll go over the good/bad points of both.

B-wing
GOOD:
Unique Figure
Cool Design
Moving features

BAD:
Sullustan fig that we never heard of
Gyroscopic cockpit (doesn't work well for a toy)IMO
Can't display as in-flight, s-foils in attack position
(standing w/o hanging from cieling)

Tie Bomber
GOOD:
First time made
Softer rubber mold
(Harder to break)
Fig has jointed knees
Better packaging
See through bombs

BAD:
As time goes by if displayed on shelf will warp
Unless you don't mind the fig moving around you can't take it out of the cockpit (rubber bands)
Can lose bombs easily
No moving parts, although to be fair it never really did

Okay so my final decision is the Tie-wing..... what I can't have em both! Okay the Tie bomber then. Only because it is newer and a never before seen toy of this scale. Otherwise I think they are equal in overall design, display and playability.

2-1B
05-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Wow, 70 votes and it's split 50/50. Tycho should be pleased when he returns next week. :)

BTW Binks, at the time I read your vote you were at 1999 posts - did you have one deleted? :D

Beast
05-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
BTW Binks, at the time I read your vote you were at 1999 posts - did you have one deleted? :D
Apperantly I did, I woke up this morning to 1998, and I have no clue why. I haven't posted anything deletion worthy in ages, so I have no clue why some mod decided to blow away 2 of my posts. I have seen others mentioning their 1000th or 2000th post, and they don't have posts deleted after that. Oh well, no worries. I'm not in it for the post count anyway. I'm just trying to be my helpful obsessive Star Wars fan self. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

yngadult
05-02-2002, 01:31 PM
I prefer the Tie Bomber as it is more muscular than the B wing. It's dark grey colour makes it more intimidating as well. The Tie pilot is a cooler looking action figure than the B wing pilot. I believe it has more features as well than the B wing with torpedoes and dropping bombs.

Warstar
05-02-2002, 01:57 PM
TIE Bomber all the way!

NiktosRule
05-02-2002, 01:58 PM
I only have the B-wing and I love it so I have to choose it. I really want the Tie Bomber and think it looks awesome but I have to vote for the ship that I do have.

Battle Droid
05-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Well I don't have either of them, but I have seen the Tie Bomber at Wal-Mart and it looks awesome, and it's a first release so I vote for the Bomber.

RooJay
05-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Since I don't own the Tie Bomber this really wasn't a fair poll fer me. I gotta go with the B-Wing, which has always just been the more interesting ship of the two in any form, in my opinion.

bigbarada
05-02-2002, 07:48 PM
I've yet to see a TIE Bomber, in fact the Wal-Mart here says that the entire southern part of New Mexico has NONE!:mad:

I think it would have been better to do the Ep2 matchup first, since the vehicles have been released and the TIE Bomber is still non-existent.

Oh well, I still voted TIE Bomber just on the merits of it being an original vehicle and the B-Wing being such an inferior rehash of the vintage version.

bigbarada
05-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Apperantly I did, I woke up this morning to 1998, and I have no clue why. I haven't posted anything deletion worthy in ages, so I have no clue why some mod decided to blow away 2 of my posts. I have seen others mentioning their 1000th or 2000th post, and they don't have posts deleted after that. Oh well, no worries. I'm not in it for the post count anyway. I'm just trying to be my helpful obsessive Star Wars fan self. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The same thing happened to me JarJar. I left last night with 2222 posts and logged on today with 2221. Oh well, not like I haven't lost posts before. Maybe one of the threads got moved to the secret section.;)

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 07:55 PM
You guys probably had a post each in a thread that was deleted.

Beast
05-02-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I've yet to see a TIE Bomber, in fact the Wal-Mart here says that the entire southern part of New Mexico has NONE!:mad:

I think it would have been better to do the Ep2 matchup first, since the vehicles have been released and the TIE Bomber is still non-existent.

Oh well, I still voted TIE Bomber just on the merits of it being an original vehicle and the B-Wing being such an inferior rehash of the vintage version.
You may wanna consider going thru Yestertoys, BigB. They are only a few bucks more then retail at Wal-Mart, and Tycho has had good results with them. 38.00 for mint, 36.00 for non-mint. Just hit the link at the top to Yestertoys, and search for TIE Bomber or Snowspeeder. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo kloon
05-03-2002, 01:32 AM
I voted for the B-wing. I own the b-wing.I think it's very cool the way the cockpit moves around with the ship!I alos like the sulstan pilot!Most of the ships include a human pilot!

NiktosRule
05-07-2002, 02:14 PM
I actually have a Tie Bomber now but I still like the B-wing better.

Tycho
05-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Well it looks like the TIE Bomber just barely Won!

The Imperial craft led by 4 votes, 67-63.

And to top that off, those of you posting your personal votes and reasons helped the TIE Bomber also win the write-in arguments 9 to 8.

Under these circumstances, I'll declare the TIE BOMBER the victor in this very, very, very close round!

(You guys still need to keep after the Skiff and AAT Tank if you haven't posted in Round 13. A new match starts today, and after 1 more, the Preliminaries will be over!)

As far as the B-wing's fans are concerned, of which I'm one of them (my preference over the TIE Bomber), I will be providing a way of testing how well ships that lost under such close circumstances (like the Y-wing as well) would have done if they'd gone on to face the next challenger in the Quarterfinals.

But the TIE BOMBER takes this round!!!