PDA

View Full Version : Why Did They Stop It???

GNT
09-08-2001, 01:52 AM
Why did they stop making figures like the original Luke,Vader and Ben figures that had the lightsaber that you could push out through their arm???

Cause they didn't do it for like Luke - Bespin or Luke - Jedi and was wondering why they didn't?

Was it a money thing,too expensive???

thoughts?

evenflow
09-08-2001, 08:13 AM
It probably has to do with money, but I'd liek to think they realized that it looked better with an actual lightsaber to hold.

evenflow
09-08-2001, 08:14 AM
The question that I always had, was why yellow? I never understood why a yellow saber, and not green.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2001, 09:55 AM
I can answer that, GNT. Back in 1979 when Kenner was looking for feedback from their customers, they had a few polls on their website, kennertoys.com/starwars, asking if any changes to the SW line would improve it, and parents seemed to feel that such a feature could lead kids to carve out their own arms in order to "be like Luke" (as the famous Tang drink commercials said), and that it took away from the overall sculpt of the figure, namely that it would have one less hand to hold an accessory (which should be more than one per figure anyway). Kenner took these comments to their R & D department, and the changes were made.

What? :p

I really don't know.

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 02:18 PM
You know what I've always wondered? Why didn't they ever resculpt Vader with just a normal lightsaber like Jedi Luke? I never liked the telescoping ones since the blades were always too short.

Umm, BCJ, right. Y'know I'd be willing to bet that there is someone here reading your post thinking that Kenner actually had a website in 1979, and that there was even a such thing as a public access internet before the late 80s/early 90s.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2001, 02:42 PM
THAT is why I like the Vintage line better than the POTF2 and POTJ ones. Yes, the sculpts are probably better now, but there wasn't a glut of resculpts. Look at this list of never resculpted figures that made appearances in multiple movies:

Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Stormtrooper
Luke X-Wing
Ben Kenobi
Imperial Commander

Would I have liked a new Vader back then? Possibly. But that's only because any new SW figures were cool. I never said "My Han's arm is too goofy. I want another one that's different." I wanted all new figures, and in that regard, these new post-1995 lines have done just that.

GNT
09-08-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Would I have liked a new Vader back then? Possibly

Thanks people for those comments :) To bad Kenner never did that Vader with removable helmet back then :( as it "gave awy the films ending"

:(

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 09:50 PM
To bad Kenner never did that Vader with removable helmet back then as it "gave awy the films ending"

Actually, I've heard that Kenner tried making a Removable Helmet Darth Vader, but couldn't pull it off without compromising the quality of the figure. At first I couldn't figure out how this was since we had Bouschh Leia, Skiff Guard Lando and Stormtrooper Luke. However, having only half of Vader's helmet removable and then having it match up with the bottom part of his helmet probably was beyond toy technology at the time.

GNT
09-08-2001, 09:54 PM
They didn't make it was beacause George thought it gave away the ending to the movie,I'd would have been then best figure in its day,but would look like crud,Although they should have made/released it after the film came out.

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 10:03 PM
You might be right, GNT. I got my info from Steve Sansweet's Action Figure Archive book; page 157 under the description of the POTF2 Rem. Helm. Vader:

"Kenner made several early attempts, but it took the technology of the 1990s to allow Hasbro to carry off the removable helmet trick without any compromises in the sculpt or the final toy."

What does everyone else think? Is Sansweet full of.....well, you know.:p

GNT
09-08-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
You might be right, GNT. I got my info from Steve Sansweet's Action Figure Archive book; page 157 under the description of the POTF2 Rem. Helm. Vader:

"Kenner made several early attempts, but it took the technology of the 1990s to allow Hasbro to carry off the removable helmet trick without any compromises in the sculpt or the final toy."

What does everyone else think? Is Sansweet full of.....well, you know.:p

At least we got one in the end,about 14 or so years later :rolleyes: I guess we could always make our own rem/hel Vader?

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2001, 09:26 AM
Three possibilities on why Luke's saber was yellow.

Yellow plastic was cheaper than green plastic.

Since Ben had the blue saber in the original line-up and Kenner didn't want to confuse small children, they made Luke's saber yellow. In later releases, they wanted to keep that yellow consistency between different Luke figures, hence a Bespin Luke with Yellow saber. By the time JEDI rolled around, They decided to give Luke a green saber, but after awhile, they ran out of green plastic over there in Hong Kong, and went with the blue saber instead...

Kenner was the Hasbro of it's day and didn't give a rat's ___ about the fans so it's whole attitude was "Blue saber, yellow saber...fans will eat up those variants..."

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2001, 03:48 PM
EP, I believe the blue saber was released first, THEN the green one, for Jedi Luke. I'd buy your theory on not confusing Ben's blue with Luke's blue; it makes sense.

bigbarada
09-09-2001, 04:28 PM
If you watch the ROTJ Teaser Trailer, Luke was slashing skiff guards with a blue saber. Plus the ROTJ movie poster featured two hands holding a blue saber. Considering that it takes a years worth of lead time to produce an action figure, it's easy to see how Kenner would get the color wrong.

As for Kenner's attitude towards variants back then, well I don't think the word was even a part of toy vocabulary back then. Kenner believed that only kids bought their toys, and for the most part they were right. Thus accuracy took a back seat to play value, and if the details had to be fudged then so be it.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-10-2001, 10:29 AM
I thought the way Kenner did figures back then was so much better than how it's done now. There was the same DV released for all three movies as well as the same Boba Fett for the last two. They never did a new sculpt for a figure unless there was a legitimate reason, like a character in a new outfit. Since figures like DV or the STs never changed, why do a new figure. All they did was release it on a different looking card.

That would be great for a kid who wanted a figure that was released from a previous movie, but was no longer in stock. Now if you want a major character like Luke, you either have to wait for a brand new sculpt or try to bag one off of ebay.

GNT
09-11-2001, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I thought the way Kenner did figures back then was so much better than how it's done now.

Have you seen the POTJ line? So your saying as an example the Vintage Bespin Han Solo is better than the POTJ one? POTJisthe pure winner with sculpts and all :)

evenflow
09-11-2001, 02:59 PM
They could have included it in the POTF line. All the movies were done by then. They probably just couldn't get it to look right.

GNT
09-12-2001, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
They could have included it in the POTF line. All the movies were done by then. They probably just couldn't get it to look right.

Your probably right,Maybe they were having problem with the head and helmet which could be a reason behind not making them?

Lobito
09-13-2001, 03:25 PM
The second lightsabers (Luke in Bespin outfit, Luke Jedi Knight) are just as bad as the first ones. Even the handle is from the same color. Now, im talking figures that were released almost 20 yrs ago. In that time i remember i was very happy with those sabers. Times change and the new lightsabers rock, why did they sabers changed?? Evolution.

GNT
09-14-2001, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Lobito
why did they sabers changed?? Evolution.

I guess so :)

Thrawn
09-17-2001, 05:51 PM
Why did 12 inch Luke come with the BLUE saber and the 12 inch Ben come with the YELLOW one ????

I'll ask Sansweet, but he usually says, "I alread asked the Kenner guys that already and no one knows."

bigbarada
09-17-2001, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn
Why did 12 inch Luke come with the BLUE saber and the 12 inch Ben come with the YELLOW one ????

I'll ask Sansweet, but he usually says, "I alread asked the Kenner guys that already and no one knows."

Have you ever noticed how the photo on the SW carded Ben and the box photo for the 12" Ben both had yellow lightsabers? I wonder why that is, and if Lucasfilm made such a fuss about Snaggletooth, why would they let such blatant errors as Ben and Luke's lightsaber colors slip through the cracks?

Thrawn
09-18-2001, 12:49 AM
I have carded Ben 12 back and ROTJ - wasn't until ROTJ when they changed the pic that they got the blue saber right AND since Ben was never pictured with a yellow saber then it must be doctored. This pic was out there from 78-83 - 5 years...

GNT
01-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Well its back now with the EP2 AOTC Anakin figure, so it has returned and how horrible it really is!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Well its back now with the EP2 AOTC Anakin figure, so it has returned and how horrible it really is!

It? What is "it?" The yellow saber? The POTF line? Hmm. Uncertainty is so, uh, I don't know... :rolleyes:

GNT
01-16-2002, 02:26 AM
The telescoping lightsaber :( Most horrible thing I've seen in ages :(

sith_killer_99
01-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Yes, it is pretty bad!:(

However, I think the Power F/X figs were worse than this. And I still think the new Anakin (AOTC) will have a telescoping saber as well as a LIGHT-UP feature.;)

SAD, I never liked the light-up feature, and if anyone has the Power F/X garbage then you know that it really dosen't work that well.

What WAS Hasbro thinking with that line?:crazed:

GNT
01-18-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
SAD, I never liked the light-up feature, and if anyone has the Power F/X garbage then you know that it really dosen't work that well.

It works well when you dont have the lights on and your in a pitch dark room :)

mark2d2
01-24-2002, 12:18 AM
This makes me a total retro geek, but the telescoping light saber on Anakin was the ONLY thing that I like about the first wave of photos. I think it's a fun gimmick, and we all know that they'll be dozens on Anakin sculpts so, I think it's awesome that they are doing one of these at last.

Kids WILL dig this, I think. I loved it back in the day, and it adds a lot of play value to the toys. The way the saber comes to life is a neat things for the tots to recreate.