PDA

View Full Version : Merged Ebay Threads

eliwankenobi
04-26-2002, 07:48 PM
Holy Crap!! I just looked on eBay and there are over 500 postings for the new AOTC Count Dooku figure!!!!!

I know this is the hard one to find in the stores right now and I see why. I want this fig just as much as all you others that haven't found it yet, but don't give in to the Dark Side!! Give it time, just like the TPM Darth Mauls, I'm sure the Dookus will be in all the stores soon enough.

"I say rise up and stab them with your plastic forks!"

jobi
04-26-2002, 07:57 PM
What I find funny is the scalpers flooded their own market. Yesterday they were going for between $40.00 - $60.00.

LOL

hango fett
04-26-2002, 08:24 PM
this is getting a bit crazy! just wade out this dry spell of dookus and be patient for the downpoor of them! patience is a virtue...

Jargo
04-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Patience is a game you play with cards.....

It's not even a very good figure. I can wait all year for one if i have to. Sure I'd like a Dooku to add to my Sith collection but not so desperately I'd sell my Mother to get one. Although...... No, I'll just wait it out and find one when I find one. They always wing their way to me eventually. Oer maybe I'll just wait for a better resculpt without the gimmick. I'm not sure I want to be squeezing Christopher Lee's legs to make his arm twitch. I don't know what example that sets to youngsters with regards to old people and how to treat them. Wonder how many kids will be squeezing Grandpa's legs to make him slash his 'lightsaber' walking cane? :crazed:

jobi
04-26-2002, 09:04 PM
I think it's a great figure. It looks awesome. I've got some already I just won't scalp them.

BanthaPoodoo
04-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Nor will I...... scalpers are scum of the earth.......

asiandoood
04-27-2002, 05:08 AM
I cant wait till I get one.... I just want one! :D When is the 12 inch Dooku coming out?

sith_killer_99
04-27-2002, 08:28 AM
This figure was actually on the BOTTOM of my list. The only reason I bought it on the 23rd was so that I would have all 27!

The other night I went to ebay to check prices, etc.

577 listings for Dooku's most were closing around $30.00!!! Even worse was the fact that 75% already had bids on them! Even the ones that had like 6 days left?!?!

A FOOL and their money are soon parted. Do these idiots even remember the EP1 Darth Maul craze? He warmed pegs for almost 2 years in some parts of the country!

PATHETIC:frus:

I'll just get down off of my soapbox now.

Anakin Skywalker243
04-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Count Dooku is one funny name to name a dark lord it's like if someone might call him Count Dookie lol.

Sith Worm
04-27-2002, 12:55 PM
I am waiting on A Dooku as well I remember how I couldn't find A Maul to save my life and I ended up buying six of them last christmas at .99 apiece. As for ebay all have to say about scalpers is who is the more foolish the fool or the fool that follows, or did Obi-Wan say that...

Mandalorian Candidat
04-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Every time I go into a WM or TRU I see about 5 guys rifling endlessly through the pegs looking for that elusive, hidden Dooku. Therefore I'm not surprised about the numerous lots on ebay and the high bids. It's ridiculous that someone can't wait a few weeks for something that will be plentiful.

That's why all these jabroni scalpers exist. Because of the dopey, impatient collectors who just can't wait.

aharry
04-27-2002, 11:12 PM
I just left a Wal-Mart that have a bunch of Dookus that have been warming the pegs since Wednesday. They weren't there during Midnight Madness meaning that they were unloaded afterward. Don't give in to the Ebay scaplers, I bet eventually these guys will be everywhere as Wal-Mart or anywhere else works their way through the stock.

DARTH_SKELETOR
04-28-2002, 02:53 AM
Thats right folks, get your very own Count Dooku action figure mint on the card for only $70.00!!!!!

lol, I can not stop laughing at this auction on ebay, there is a Dooku with staring bid of $60.00, and a buy it now of $70.00.:D I really am laughing about this,its just too funny IMO lol.

If you want to see, its item# 1726003426 The reason I am sharing this with you, is because I know you will at least crack a smile.:)

Evan Nash
04-28-2002, 03:16 AM
Same thing happened with Darth Maul.

But still, Maul wasn't easy to find either. Even months after the movie came out. I NEVER saw him on the shelves.

Never.

sith_killer_99
04-28-2002, 09:38 AM
WOW, never?

I remember when they started shipping Maul in solid cases. He was warming pegs for like, 18 months.

Heck, I even saw a Jedi Duel Maul at TRU a month or 2 ago. Sure the card was beat to heck, but still, it was almost 3 years after his initial release.

I mush have picked up 10-15 Maul's for customs.

In fact every version of Maul ever released has turned into a peg warmer, with the exception of the Invasion Force Maul with Speeder.

CrossWizard
04-28-2002, 09:55 AM
The only place that had Darth Maul back in '99 after Midnight Madness was KB Toys at $9.99 but after the movie's release he was nowhere to be found. Then around Sept-Oct he was suddently everywhere.

DeadEye
04-28-2002, 10:07 AM
Actually, I saw plenty of Mauls back on May 3, '99.

Rogue II
04-28-2002, 10:15 AM
I still see some Episode I Mauls sitting on the shelves.

Maybe I'll put my Dooku up for bid too. I can see the title now:

Hot! RARE! DISCONTINUED! 50% OFF! DOOKU starting bid only $35! LOOK!

It still amazes me to see people bidding on the Carbon Freeze chamber for $20something.

I've decided that people that pay these outrages prices for the new figures deserve to be parted from their money.

hango fett
04-28-2002, 10:33 AM
i can't really remeber ALL of what was rare on the first day the figures came out in 99. i think we had a hard time finding all the droid variations and jar jar....maul was, IMO, an "uncommon" if you will. not rare, but not common...but dooku is diffrent, my dad said he saw 6 at one store on the 23 and we went back on friday and the shelves were void of any yoda, ani HD, dooku, or zam...

sith_killer_99
04-28-2002, 10:42 AM
They WILL be shipping more of the Dooku wave. Not everyone got the later cases.

Hasbro has a lot more of them still to ship.

LTBasker
04-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Well people are stupid, they think if they got it off of ebay, then it's the best price ever and they're the only ones with it. :rolleyes:

Jaina Solo
04-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Hate to say it, but if I had extra Dookus, I'd be taking advantage of the idiots on Ebay. I could use the money, and if someone's crazy enough to pay upwards of $50 for the things, that's their loss, my gain. Now if only I could find the damn things before the craze dies out... *sigh* I guess my destiny is just not to be a scalper.

asiandoood
04-28-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
Hate to say it, but if I had extra Dookus, I'd be taking advantage of the idiots on Ebay. I could use the money, and if someone's crazy enough to pay upwards of $50 for the things, that's their loss, my gain. Now if only I could find the damn things before the craze dies out... *sigh* I guess my destiny is just not to be a scalper.

hehehe...yeah, it is very tempting. But its not worth all the trouble, b/c if you cant sell all of them off...it is your loss too. :o

Dak Powers
04-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Sith Worm, Kirtan Loor said that in the X-Wing book series.

My friend got 2 Dookus and sold one on eBay for 40. I don't like it myself, but I would rather sell one off for 40 before they were on the clearance rack in 6 months... Just me, though. Not that I would do it or anything.

dirtybones
04-28-2002, 04:26 PM
The thing I hate is the fact that the people who stock the pegs are keeping some of the Dooku figures for their self's. I don't care what people say, this is so way out of line.

Forhekset
04-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Yeah, tell me about it. The other day at the store I'm rounding the corner, heading for the Star Wars aisle, and I see not one but two employees ransacking the figures looking for the "rare" ones, just like you see common collectors doing. I understand employees can be fans too, but I still think it sucks that I not only have to compete with other collectors but with the employees as well.

Anyhow as soon as the two guys saw me coming, they glanced at me, rifled through a few more pegs for a couple of seconds, then sped off with a couple of figs under their arms. :rolleyes:

asiandoood
04-28-2002, 07:09 PM
that sux...

if i had free time, i'd work at Target, or TRU and do the same...but hook up all of you minus the scalper price and way of mind.

subMERGE
04-28-2002, 07:11 PM
There must be 10-15 Dookus sitting in my TRU right now. No one here seems to want him. A old man isn't very appealing to children here, and plus no one knows he is and what is role in the movie will be.

Forhekset
04-28-2002, 07:20 PM
The TRU I frequent still has the same lousy selection they've had since the 23rd...OPD Anakin out the wazoo....tons of Battle/Super Battle Droids....tons of Boba Fetts. Blech. I wish I could find one lousy Dooku. As soon as the sclalper frenzy dies down though I'm sure he'll start popping up. I refuse to pay a penny more than the normal MSRP for any figure this time around.

asiandoood
04-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
The TRU I frequent still has the same lousy selection they've had since the 23rd...OPD Anakin out the wazoo....tons of Battle/Super Battle Droids....tons of Boba Fetts. Blech. I wish I could find one lousy Dooku. As soon as the sclalper frenzy dies down though I'm sure he'll start popping up. I refuse to pay a penny more than the normal MSRP for any figure this time around.

I totally agree...

funny thing is, I havent seen much clone troopers either. Only the Sneak Preview ones on the other line.

Forhekset
04-28-2002, 08:16 PM
I didn't see any Saga Clonetroopers the first couple of days, then Wal-Mart got a huge batch of 'em. They still have some actually, I was there again today. They've got about 10 or so, problem is they all have really shoddy paint jobs. I did happen to see a single preview Clonetrooper too so I grabbed him (first time I've seen a preview Clonie). Even though he's locked into one pose, I think he looks pretty good, and the paint job was nice. Plus it's not like any of the other figures I've bought so far aren't locked into one pose....

Dooku, Yoda, Luminara, Geonosian Warrior, and Taun We all remain MIA...and I've found only a single HD Anakin too.

NesteaFett
04-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Why are people making a starting bid of $60. That's flat out ridiculous! People these days got no respect.

asiandoood
04-28-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by NesteaFett
Why are people making a starting bid of $60. That's flat out ridiculous! People these days got no respect.

gewd lard!... 60 bucks? you can order almost a full case from KB with that :sur:

NesteaFett
04-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Well, he put a buy it now for $70. Needless to say he got diddly squat for it.

jjreason
04-29-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi Gang, just wanted to throw out a big "thanks" and "great work, everyone" to those of us refusing to bid inflated prices on the harder to find (for now) Saga figures. I searched AOTC on ebay tonight, and watched with glee as auction after auction for Dooku, Royal Guard, etc. at inflated prices ended with no bidders. The scalpers do not win if we help each other! We all read peoples posts who buy so much at the first instance, see if they can help you out! It doesn't kill to email someone to see. If you fail, try again. The person responsible for my last 20 figures lives over a thousand miles away from me in Chicago, but he finds the figs and I don't. My collection is still near complete, but only because of email contact. Don't fall victim to high prices for new stuff. Someone will help you out! Again, good work troops! Enjoy the movie!

CooLJoE
04-29-2002, 04:40 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear the eBay scalpers are getting let down this time. Keep up the friendly trading guys.

CooLJoE
04-29-2002, 04:48 AM
On a side note about the ebay auctions, some of them appear to be getting dumber at the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1725730270

This guy is selling a yoda. He calls it rare because it has no scenic background card and continues to say the new ones have the card. That is wrong in 2 parts. Yoda doesnt EVER get a card, and the cards were the FIRST batch and are NOT showing up anymore.

Gotta love those ebay scalpers.

187-Maul
04-29-2002, 10:15 AM
at least he's selling it for 10 bucks and but it now for 15
of course it's still way to expensive but cheaper then some other scalpers sell it

JEDIpartner
04-29-2002, 11:14 AM
"Death" to scalping!!!

pthfnder89
04-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
On a side note about the ebay auctions, some of them appear to be getting dumber at the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1725730270

This guy is selling a yoda. He calls it rare because it has no scenic background card and continues to say the new ones have the card. That is wrong in 2 parts. Yoda doesnt EVER get a card, and the cards were the FIRST batch and are NOT showing up anymore.

Gotta love those ebay scalpers.

Yeah. One woman I saw several days ago had 4 Yoda auctions up. She claimed they would be rare because Hasbro was going to take out his lightsaber. I have no idea where she got that idea and she didn't have anything to substantiate it, but I thought that wass the most ridiculous thing i had heard.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-29-2002, 11:32 AM
I just laugh at all of those hosebags. About 99.9% of these auction claim that the figures are rare, they have some kind of unique variation, they were a once only release, or they were blessed with holy water or somekind of silly crap like that. I wish there was a way to get on the auction description and post some kind of rebuttal to their false claims.

Bunch of desperate losers...

eliwankenobi
04-29-2002, 01:46 PM
May eBay scalpers rot in the bowels of hell for a thousand years!

My congrats to everyone who is resisting temptation by taking the easy way out of finding the new figs and NOT patronizing those guys on eBay. Unfortuately, there will always be the desparate few who fall to their evil way, but if the majority of us stick together, maybe those scalpers will eventually see that trying to capitalize on us will only cost them in the end.

"I say rise up and stab them with your plastic forks!"

Casual George
04-29-2002, 05:17 PM
I'm really wanting Count Dooku bad. I went in to MM on the 23rd looking to find one and was denied. I know I'll run across one sooner or later, but I will NOT buy one off of ebay or any other scalper haunts no matter what. These guys spoil the hunt for the rest of us! I agree with JEDIpartnr - death to scalping.:mad:

Darth Nihilus
04-30-2002, 02:17 AM
There's only one store in my local area that has gone beyond the first basic waves and there's still about three Dooku's warming the pegs there as of today. That there is only one could be good news for me as it should mean the other shops will put out the later waves soon and I can still pick up some difficult figs.

Forhekset
04-30-2002, 08:42 AM
I just hit Wal-Mart this morning on the way to work as they were restocking various areas of the store and they STILL haven't put anything new out since last week. Even though there are several huge gaps on both sides of the aisle. I guess they're waiting for people to buy up all the damn Typhos and OPD Anakins before they'll put anything fresh out.

I still have yet to see a single Dooku around here. Grr.

OriginalBryGuy
05-01-2002, 12:00 PM
The only difference here with the Dooku shortage/non-shortage is Episode I didn't do well critically and they did over produce so peg warmers like Maul were common.

Episode II is the bomb however. I won't reveal any spoilers, but I've read the script, and the graphic novel, not to mention heard about how they just aren't making as many figures this time around.

I live in Indianapolis, IN and plan to go to Celebration. Folks from Hasbro will be onhand to answer some questions and I plan to ask a few if I can, especially on the "scarcity" front.

My advice..."stay frosty" Dooku is a hot figure and will be after the movie, but more will come.

Rogue II
05-01-2002, 12:22 PM
That websire that is giving away the TIE Bomber/Snowspeeder that is in the news section is selling Count Dooku for $30.

As I said before, people who are willing to pay that much for those toys deserve to be parted with their cash.

asiandoood
05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
I would never pay anything more than retail at stores...

I was lucky to find one at TRU prices... whew. Now onto Yoda ...doh!

OriginalBryGuy
05-01-2002, 02:12 PM
My situation is Asiandoods reversed. I've seen plenty of Yodas, but Dookus are no where to be found.

Vortex
05-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Yup the scalpers holy grail right now.

Its sad how frantic we (collecting group) have become to quickly complete the collections for braging rights, and what not. Will we still be bragging to friends or family after we spend 7 times the toy store price, and then a friend buys his the next day on clearance?

The prices would drop if some people wouldn't bit on the 40 values, and they wouldn't get bids, but hey if you gotta have it gotta get it I guess. But I do seriously wonder sometimes if its scalper vs scalper on thsoe sites? I seem to notice that sometimes one buyer wins, then turns around and re-posts it at what he bought it for. Let them war it out if that's the case. Let them cut their own throats, I'll bide my time at the toy stores.

If push comes to shove, go to one of the sponsers site and buy a dooku case with a friend or some one on this site, split the cost or the figs if you figure its better than constantly driving all over town looking one for one, and then sell the other figures to scalpers at a higher price if you really have to have something pronto.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-01-2002, 08:13 PM
I was just tooling around on the www.starwars.com cargo bay and happened to notice that all the HTF figures, including some of the ones that are plentiful like R2, are listed as having a 01DEC02 release date. Ones like Arena Jango Fett, which has definitely not been released, are also listed with the same date.

This just reinforces that the HTF 4 will still come in larger numbers and their initial appearance was due to late packaging and distribution by Hasbro.

Please noone sweat this one and succumb to scalperitis. They'll be out in floods soon.

Toolshed
05-02-2002, 01:40 PM
hi.. i was just browsing around on ebay fo the heck of it looking at almost no bids on thousands of items. which is great, i think. anyways, i came across some stupid things. for example, AOTC Yoda with NO CARD Variation. what the f*** is up with that. at least if their going to try to sell something have accurate information. anyways i emailed the idiot and told him tha it wasnt a variation and hopefully made him think he was a *******. well i did that to a hole bunch of people. kinda made me deel good making them feel like idiots. maybe if we make them feel stupid less and less of them will try selling. i know that it will never happen but maybe its worth a try.i just wanted to see what everyones thoughts were.

Darth_Growl
05-02-2002, 02:07 PM
You got that right. What makes me even more angry is that some people actually buy into this stuff. I mean, come on. Do not give into scalpers no matter what. I saw some Count Dookus on ebay that were going for at least $65!! What's up with that?!

pthfnder89
05-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Yeah, some of them simply make things up. One lady had 4 or 5 Yoda auctions going, and she was claiming that only the first Yodas would have lightsabers, and Hasbro was going to stop including them ?!?!

Ugh

Darth_Growl
05-02-2002, 02:28 PM
That's makes me ill to my stomach. I saw an auction for a "Hanger Duel Ani" and it read something like AOTC Hanger Duel Very Limited going for around $30!! Now that's sick! Seems like everybody is trying to cash in on AOTC.

Casual George
05-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Makes me shutter to think what's going to happen when the scalpers get their hands on the Jorg Sacul figure this weekend at Celebration II.:(

icatch9
05-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Don't forget that ebayers are just salesmen. Just like car dealers and vinyl siding seller. They are just trying to make a buck. I do not agree with lying to people, but you got to do what you got to do. We know that they are wasting their money, so just let them. They are out $0.30 for every item they list that doesn't sell.

I think it's funny that you emailed them to correct their lie, but chances are they knew they were lying. Those types prey on the stupid. The stupid who I feel no pity for. A fool and their money are soon parted. This is a phrase that you have to remember. If anyone is willing to pay $65 for Dooku, then let them. We are the people in the "know" and we know he is not worth that much. I too hope some people will learn not to list stuff that won't sell, and hopefully not buy it. However, I feel that will never happen. Star Wars is a multi billion-dollar industry and GL is not the only one who sees some of that money. Whenever there is a market for something people will be selling it. It just like any other business. We however, seem to be caught in the middle. It's sad, but the bitter truth.

evenflow
05-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Ebay really does get out of hand at times, but eventually it gets some of us sooner or later. I know i will most likely be trying to get a Jorg Sacul figure from ebay.

plasticfetish
05-02-2002, 09:43 PM
I think it's brilliant that you would comment about someones ad to them. I wish more collectors would do that. It seems that missinformation and "creative" descriptions are sort of a running theme on eBay ... but, I think it's truly the worst when it comes to collectable toys. As far as $65 for a Count Dooku figure goes ... I'm not really sure the seller is such a fool at that point. I feel bad for the person that needs to spend that kind of money ... it reminds me of that crazy rumor where Drew Carey had bought a 12" Darth Maul from a little kid in line at KB for $300 a while back. I remember finding mine at K-Mart a week later.
You've gotta laugh.

CooLJoE
05-02-2002, 11:49 PM
Toolshed - I emailed that person a couple days ago. Even posted about him on here. Here's his response:

Umm, I have one... and a Dooku...and a Taun We. None of those are
supposed to have those either. Screw Hasbro and this whole affair!!
I'm going to pull down the rest of the auctions until I know for sure.
I've already opened second and third release cases and found inserts in
there as well. (Keep in mind there are three different case ratios for
each case I believe and we have yet to see all that's been released.) I
only found the Yodas and Dookus in one case and I'm holding on to them
until I know what's up for sure.
To date I do not have Sae Sae Tin, Luminara, The royal guard, or Jar Jar
with an insert. In some cases it looks like the second wave of figures
got the insert treatment and NONE of my advance cases had inserts in
them at all. In my opinion, the whole thing is just a marketing gimmick
to get collectors to buy at least two of everything. (it worked on me)
Hell, there's just as many leg variations on the R2-D2 as there are
normal legs PLUS I've found both variations of the figures with both
variations of the insert and no insert.
I'm just going to save my receipts and wait for the dust to settle.

I told him about this messageboard and about how we all know which ones DO have the background and which don't. I even told him to check this place out if he wants to get the right information, but told him that we don't like scalpers very much.

BanthaPoodoo
05-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Umm, I have one... and a Dooku...and a Taun We. (in response to figures they had with a background)

huh huh, that guy is an idiot....... :):):):):)

Toolshed
05-03-2002, 12:11 AM
yeah i figured they would say som stupid s**t like that. i also agree if someone is willin to pay a crap load of money ona figure that is reall not worth it, they do get wat the get.

QLD
05-03-2002, 12:26 AM
If you don't pay attention and do research on what you buy on ebay, then you deserve what you get. That's my theory.

ANAKIN_SOLO
05-03-2002, 12:52 AM
I dont even have a ebay account, but have looked around. Some of the stories ar pretty funny:D

Dak Powers
05-03-2002, 01:24 AM
I love the ones that are like "MOC LOOSE" or something like that lol... "LOOSE FIGURE, CARD IS IN C-9 CONDITION"

Morons.

Jedi_Rainman
05-03-2002, 01:36 AM
When my friends come back from Celebration II, they will have 2 Jorg Sacul figures for me. I am keeping one and might sell the other on eBay. I will start the bidding out at $.01...and no one can say I am scalping it because I ain't charging a high price. Everyone will have there fair chance on it. Keep on the lookout.

CooLJoE
05-03-2002, 04:53 AM
Jedi - True, but you know it will go higher than that. It will easily hit $60 or higher. So its still scalping.

Scalping is when you sell something for high prices because the market is there. Starting it at .01 doesn't count you out from being a scalper. Now if your buy it now was like $10, it wouldnt be scalping since you are only charging what it cost you.

Jedi_Rainman
05-03-2002, 06:41 AM
Yeah thats true, but still. I think its more thats its very limited than other figures. I'd pay $60 for the C2 figure if I had no other way of getting one. Heck, I paid $140 for the Darth Vader Toy Fair Exclusive.

aikman
05-03-2002, 03:39 PM
He isnt scalping the fig if his inital price is well below what he paid (as long as he doesnt himself bid on it)
Ya know full well it will go way past that though, heck id give you 20 for it ;)

aikman
05-03-2002, 03:55 PM
IMO

For retail available figs:
It isnt scalping if someone sells a fig on ebay and starts the initial
bid at or below retail price for the fig.
Is it?

For older no longer retail available figs:
It isnt scalping if someone sells a fig on ebay and starts the initial
bid at what was retail price for the fig.
Is it?

For non retail figs like TF vader or Sacul:
It is scalping if they sell for more than a small markup (20%) they paid for it.

The market decides (if noone paid over retail value there would be no scalpers ). A scalper is someone who starts the bidding above what they paid, right ?
<not that i sell , just curious what people think>

thoughts?

Vortex
05-03-2002, 03:56 PM
This whole Ebay bit...has anyone else noticed that quite a few of the same people keep putting figs up, and the same people keep bidding on them, and then they turn around and relist it? I seen that happen quite a bit with the TF Vader. Made we wonder if anyone of them really had the figure, or the sellers were working in dandem to keep upping the price?

I went to check out the bidding wars on the Celebration II figure, and its not bad so far. Tonight should be ugly once everyone is back to the hotels or home...

Jaina Solo
05-03-2002, 04:32 PM
You know, that's a good point... I never thought of that, but if they're really a**holes, they could be working it that way. *sigh* No wonder the people at Wal Mart and TRU think we're all psychos...

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the "Jorg Sacul" fig is just a huge gimmick?

CrossWizard
05-03-2002, 05:03 PM
This is an example of scalping:

Has more than 1(in this case 10) Dookus listed for less than what he payed, knowing that by the end of those auctions each figure will sell for $20+ dollars.

This is not considered scalping at least not by my standards:

Has 1 extra Dooku, and starts the bid real low.

yngadult
05-03-2002, 06:31 PM
I do not have a problem with someone selling something on Ebay to make a buck. It's a free market and if people don't like it, they don't have to bid. Likewise, the buyer is free to pay whatever s/he wants for the item.
Sadly, some buyers are unaware of cheaper alternatives to Ebay. But, you'll find uninformed consumers in any market.
Many of the readers of this site have a lot of experience with buying SW toys, but, not everyone is as blessed. If it's a bother, one can always educate buyers on alternatives to their Ebay purchase.
In light of scalpers, I agree that selling an item below retail is acceptable. It is unethical to advertise the product with false claims. Some are intentional and others are out of unintended ignorance. If it's the latter then education is the solution, not, presumptuous accusations.
My dislike is with people who hoard all the rare figures from the aisles. If there are ten 300 Edition Boba Fetts on the aisle, they'll buy them all.
This may be permissable in the free market. But, there are social norms in the toy community that say such action is rude.
It was great 4/23 in my area as collectors were sharing intel and exchanging rare figures. No hoarders to ruin it for everyone. It also makes for a more harmonious atmosphere.

plasticfetish
05-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Great comment about "social norms"! Not wanting to get too heavy about this ... but, that really is the problem with a lot of things in this world. Some people know how to behave and others just don't. It's weird for me to take my 4 year old son to TRU and have him watch (careful not to throw stones in a glass house) middle aged men fighting over Hot Wheels in the isles. I (honestly) love hearing comments about people actually exercising good manners. People do learn from example and I wish it would carry over to other things ... if not eBay in general, then maybe easy things (sigh) like freeway driving.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-04-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Rainman
When my friends come back from Celebration II, they will have 2 Jorg Sacul figures for me. I am keeping one and might sell the other on eBay. I will start the bidding out at $.01...and no one can say I am scalping it because I ain't charging a high price. Everyone will have there fair chance on it. Keep on the lookout.

I have to disagree with those calling this scalping. It's an exclusive figure whose access is very limited to only those who can either pay their way into C2 and then buy the figure or who knows someone who can get it for them. It is not the same as paying the stockroom boy at WM to get all the Dookus from the stash of EP2 figures then sticking them on ebay for $30 a pop.

It would be different if some goon was at the front of the line buying all of them so no one else could get any except through them, but they are limited to each person.

The really cool thing to do would be to offer it to a friend or other collector for face value, but if you want to put it up for sale at 1 cent and let the hard-core completionists fight over it then go right ahead.

Sidiously Darth
05-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Has anyone checked ebay lately? Over 200 listings for the C II exclusive figure. Did the people that are already selling their figures even go to this show with any intent on enjoying the event? What a shame!!!:cry: :greedy:

Jaina Solo
05-04-2002, 01:28 PM
You're not surprised, though, are you? It's sad, but I kinda figured stuff like this was going to happen.

Sidiously Darth
05-04-2002, 01:42 PM
No, I'm not surprised at all. I really wanted to go to C II but b/c of work, I couldn't. There is so much more there than action figures but some can't see past that.:confused:

Dar' Argol
05-04-2002, 04:02 PM
I merged most of the eBay threads here. No use in having a bunch running around. Trying to clean up the place a bit, you know:rolleyes:

Jaina Solo
05-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I wanted to go to C II myself. Had a paper due in one of my classes, though, plus this singular lack of cash.

Forhekset
05-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Maybe the Dooku/eBay insanity is finally starting to wear down a bit. I saw just today that some of the more outrageous auctions (guys who wanted $30.00 or more) were ending with no bidders.

As a side note, what's up with this auction:

Star Wars Lego Yoda Dooku AOTC Jedi Duel HTF

Hard to find? Um yeah, I can only walk into Target, TRU, or Wal-Mart and see about 15 of those sets in each store. :rolleyes:

Beast
05-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Take a look at Ebay now, there are 469 auctions currently running at the moment for the Jorg Sacul figure. Not to mention around another 465 that have already ended. That's just disgusting in my opinion, damn scalpers screwed people that went there out of them, and now are screwing over people that didn't go. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Forhekset
05-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Yeah, all accounts seem to say that the distribution of the Sacul figures was pretty shoddy and not handled very well as far as controlling scalpers. I mean, how could they sell out on Sunday at like 9:30 am? Obviously there was a big problem.

Darth Trymybestus
05-06-2002, 06:51 PM
I searched on ebay and found 462 items! Is this figure really worth it? I would rather have Anakin Skywalker Hangar Duel than Jorg Sacul.

Forhekset
05-06-2002, 07:37 PM
It's like someone else said in another thread...Hasbro could put any old crap on a card and call it an "exclusive" and it will still drive people into a frenzy. Not saying the Sacul figure is crap, by any means. But for lots of completists this is obviously a figure they NEED to get, since well, they're completists. And for some collectors, the "exclusive" figs are the crown jewels of their collections, regardless of what the figure actually is. I think the example someone used in the other thread was that Hasbro could put the little satellite dish thingy (someone feel free to tell me what that thing is called) from the Millenium Falcon that got broken off in the Death Star II on a card and people would buy it. Heck, Hasbro could put "the piece of bantha poo that Jar-Jar stepped on in Mos Espa in TPM" on a card and people would buy that, too. With a Commtech chip that says "Oooh, yucky poo!" :D

Personally I only go after what I think looks cool, whether it's exclusive or happens to be a pegwarmer. Fortunately I don't care for this Sacul figure so I don't have to stress out over getting one.

CrossWizard
05-06-2002, 07:43 PM
I think the example someone used in the other thread was that Hasbro could put the little satellite dish thingy (someone feel free to tell me what that thing is called) from the Millenium Falcon that got broken off in the Death Star II on a card and people would buy it.

Well I only said it cause its true :D

Forhekset
05-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Quite true, that's what makes it so darn funny and a great example. :)

neimoidian85
05-06-2002, 08:31 PM
I just searched for jorg sacul and found 484. Is anyone actually keeping their figure?

I bet it'll be on sale for 6.99 in Star Wars Insider next year.

Darth Trymybestus
05-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Personally I only go after what I think looks cool, whether it's exclusive or happens to be a pegwarmer. Fortunately I don't care for this Sacul figure so I don't have to stress out over getting one.

I'm exactly the same, I only get a figure if it looks cool and I like the look of it, to be honest I think that the Darth Vader Dagobah is much better than the Toy Fair Vader, what you think?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Ooh, I wonder how much a carded piece of Jorg Sacul poo would go for. HMMM. :)

Sorry, just being silly.

TheBigSloppy
05-06-2002, 10:26 PM
I wonder how much a lifesize carded George Lucas would go for?

2-1B
05-06-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by TheBigSloppy
I wonder how much a lifesize carded George Lucas would go for?

Don't even bother Sloppy,
Ricky McC loves it too much and would NEVER sell! :p

R2-D2
05-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Here is a little information on the Saculs on ebay prices on this exclusive figure.

May 3rd
72 Figures
Cheapest $69
Highest $175
Average $88.46

May 4th
103 Figures
Cheapest $50
Highest $108
Average $75.16 (A number of figures went for $50 from the same seller)

May 5th
104 Figures
Cheapest $50
Highest $106
Average $81.84

May 6th
172 Figures
Cheapest $32
Highest $103
Average $82

May 7th
27 Figures so far
Cheapest $65
Highest $100
Average $80.44

I'll try and keep this up to date to see how the price drops.

I don't feel sorry for that one sucker who paid $175 that first day probably because of the hype.

R2-D2

BanthaPoodoo
05-07-2002, 02:22 PM
How are you performing your search???
I turned up 506 Jorg Sacul's today!!!!

My search (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1code=0&query=Jorg+Sacul)

eliwankenobi
05-07-2002, 02:44 PM
It looks like R2-D2 posted those figures according to how many were posted for sale for each day.

I just looked for myself and found 542 listings for the Sacul fig since May 3 - although it appears that many of those are being sold using the 'buy-it-now' feature.

I'll be watching this one for the next few days. I'd like to get one, but I'm in no way paying a king's ransom for one. I'll see how they're doing in another week...

R2-D2
05-07-2002, 03:27 PM
I did my search on completed items that were listed under "sacul" (That way I would get all that had the first name mispelled as well)

There weren't that many complete when I did the data earlier today.

Obviously not an exact science, but it gives us an idea that the price is going down slowly.

R2

BanthaPoodoo
05-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Oh..... I was looking last night for one & like eliwan, am not going to pay a fortune for it... the people that are paying such high prices are idiots.

I'll wait a while too to see what I can come up with. I am real close to getting a Luke Skywalker Theatre Edition for $9.99 & I foresee a Sacul in my future as well........

R2-D2
05-07-2002, 04:18 PM
Hope you end up with that Theatre Edition for that amount. That would be cool. There is a lady in the office I work at that has that figure and probably would part with it, but looks at how much it costs on ebay. Darn ebay. Without that I probably could get one for $10 as well.
I also would like to join in the ranks of people not paying a fortune for the Sacul figure. I'd pay $10 bucks for it.

R2

Orn Free Taa
05-08-2002, 10:17 AM
I paid $90 with BIN on E-bay for my Sacul figure. This was when there was only one page or so of them. Had I known everybody and their brother would be scalping them (went from 1-2 pages a week before the convention to almost 10 pages once the convention got underway) I would've waited and sniped one for half that. :rolleyes:

And I paid close to $120.00 for the Toy Fair Vader. :rolleyes:

But, on a positive note, I've found all 34 figures in the new Saga line locally and didn't have to pay bloated prices. Woo Hoo! :)