PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart and Count Dooku

Darth_Growl
05-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum stuff, but it fields great to be amongst other Star Wars collectors let me tell you. :) Now I know everybody has been unsuccesful in getting that elusive Dooku, and yesterday I found out why. I went to my local Wal-Mart to see if they had restocked any of the pegs. I belive it was like 8AM or whatever and to my surprise, they were!! Needless to say I, I asked both of the guys--they were around 24 or 25--if they had seen the old dude in black. Well, both of them said that they hadn't. To make a long story short, I asked if I could go through the boxes that were already open and they got extremely defensive. I managed to peak into one of the boxes that were already open and there were at least 5 0r 6 dookus in there. I told the guys that this was the figure I was looking for and that I would like to purchase one. Both of them gave me a stare that would burn through lead. Anyway, I had to get a manager before they would eventually let me have one. Is this happening everywhere?!! It's no wonder collectors like me never find all the figures! We have to fight both Wal mart employees and other collectors just to get the hard-find-figures. Geez!

pthfnder89
05-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Yeah, a lot of employees will do that unfortunately. But there are also lots of very helpful employees too so it evens out sometimes.:)

BTW, welcome to the boards Darth_Growl ! It's a great place to talk, and I hope you enjoy yourself! :)

Darth_Growl
05-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Well, thanks! :) Yea, I thought these two guys were going to take my head off when I saw that they had five or six Dookus hidden in of the empty boxes. At least now I finally got one. I bet you anything it's the wal mart and tru employees that are flooding ebay with all these dookus. blah!!

icatch9
05-02-2002, 03:37 PM
I suggest that you report those two to the store manager or district manager. As a customer you have a right to purchase everything and anything. Those two were preventing you from buying what you wanted. This is not acceptable. You actually caught them doing it, wich is good for your case. Some WM and other stores have strick policies about employees buying these sorts of thigns. So, perhaps you can get those two yahoos fired or worse....froze in carbonit.

Good luck and welcome!

CrossWizard
05-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Like icatch said, that kind of behavior is not acceptable, I dont know how Walmart works but I worked for 2 years at TRU and one of the first things they specifically tell you is that you cannot restrict merchandise from any customer for personal purchases, especially during work hours, in other words if you are during your shift you cannot, buy, hide or hold up any type of merchandise, especially if a customer is asking for it. If I were you Id seek action towards those 2 hosers so they learn a thing or 2 about customer courtesy and store policies.

Darth_Growl
05-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Hrrmm...I never thought about doing that. I guess I was just so happy to finally get a Dooku that I completely ignored the fact that these guys were preventing me from purchasing count dooku. :) You know, and The Force was telling me that these two were ebay scalpers. The Force is strong with me I think. hehe

jobi
05-02-2002, 05:35 PM
I would have bought all of them just so they couldn't have them, and then laughed at the 2 losers.

Dferguson
05-02-2002, 06:38 PM
hey,

That would of made me sick if that happened to me! Employees holding back merchandise thats pretty lame. I hope they get fired for that. I smell scalpers:rolleyes:

Jedi Drew
05-02-2002, 07:27 PM
I would be on the phone to that store and speak with a manager ASAP. They may not only be doing that with the SW figures but other toys that people want. There is a poster on these boards that works at a Wal-Mart that was bragging BEFORE the 23rd that he had all the figures set aside for him in the backroom. I really wish you would get fired for your actions. You know who you are...........

CrossWizard
05-02-2002, 08:01 PM
I know who you are talking about, and the only thing I have to say about that is that as long as he just set aside figures for his personal collection and not for scalping or re-selling them, I see no problem with that.

One example is when I worked for TRU during the 2000 holiday season, I know for a fact that if I had not consulted with a manager about setting aside a Commtech R2D2 and a Commtech Stormtrooper I wouldve never gotten the chance to buy them at retail, what I did was inform him, then he personally took those 2 figures out of the case for me and placed them on the back, so I could buy them after my shift ended. It may sound unfair but Im glad I did it cause that night when I got out from work and the whole 2 cases of those figures were placed on the pegs they were all ravaged by 2 guys in less than 10 minutes. So in my opinion I see it as employee benefits, which are ok as long as they are not abused and you only buy 1 of each for personal collection not personal gain.

Forhekset
05-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Jeez, I would have thrown down right there in the store. Seriously, I wouldn't put up with that kind of stupid BS from a couple of lameass scalper employees trying to sneak stuff away from paying customers. You should have told them off good and loud. (maybe you did to their manager?) I hope he gave 'em both a good asschewing but I doubt it.

gibbyhayes
05-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Hey all. When I did my 4/23 shopping @ TRU I did some usual non-SW shopping as well. I found a Mary Jane (Spider Man), and a Pirate Spawn to add to my AOTC goodies. My cashier was unusually cool, as we joked about the SW frenzy he let me know he'd been eyeing my other purchases (both examples were packed one per case). He said store employees must leave merch on the shelf for 48 hours before they can purchase the items themselves!
Honest employees or not, I still havent seen any Dookus, Yodas, Taun We's, or Luminaras anywhere - throughout the MPLS/ST.Paul metro.
Good luck to all, and remember, at least we don't WORK at Wal-Mart!

Jpalisi
05-02-2002, 10:19 PM
hey guys, i agree w/ what everyones been sayin and theres some good points and good collectors, but unfortunatly around my area if you are a collector, you might as well be sitting in some dark corner in mos eisley, i know there are scalpers everywhere but we have the most unscrupulous scalpers and when you go into a store you are followed to ensure no foul dealings, like grabbin all you can afford of the chase figs, then hiding the rest under the racks in a different section, or even in the ovens and such in the kiddie section. i worked at tru for 2yrs and i was the head of asembly so i saw my share of a******'s we had people slip into the store room and raid the employee holds, into the runs for unopened cases, we even had one D******* chase down a kid for a 12back leia!.

so what im trying to say is that because of these "tusken raider" like collectors that cause alot of stores to have a "beware of collectors" attitude I.e. if the same people/persons came in fitting the description of a collector and or askin to see if there were any certain hard to find figs in the back we used caution so as not to give them all to scalpers.
dont get me wrong we didnt rule the figures w/ an iron fist but rather we tried to help everone out rather than a few.
so in actuallity you can thank the people who run into the store and pull these stunts for the attitude that the stores give

Darth_Growl
05-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Well, guys, I spoke to my older brother about what happened this morning, and he was extremely ****ed off. Needless to say, he and I drove down to the wal mart and spoke to the manager of the toy department about what happened, and get this, he said that those two had been busted before for withholding mcfarlane hockey figures from the customers. I'm not sure whether he is going to fire them or not, but he just told me that he would speak to them about this. I really hope I didn't get them fired, but sometimes you have to pay for your mistakes. :o My brother wanted to confront those two, but if I know my brother well, he would have thrown down instead of talk; he's good at doing that. :evil:

gibbyhayes
05-02-2002, 10:41 PM
I HOPE YOU GOT THEM FIRED D.G., AND GOOD FOR YOU!

Jpalisi
05-02-2002, 10:54 PM
i agree w/ gibby if you are using your job to withhold hard to find figures, for your own gain and s*****n everyone else, you damn well deerve to be fired

CooLJoE
05-02-2002, 11:43 PM
If that happened to me I would have grabbed a manager and told him about the 2 guys holding out. Then I would have requested the entire box of dookus to purchase.

Of course then I would come on here and trade em out for other figs. 1 for 1. Personally I need to start getting the regular peg-warming AOTC figs.

SithDroid
05-02-2002, 11:46 PM
The same thing happened to me back when the R2-D2 with holographic Leia was getting released in larger quantities. I went to TRU and they had just put out a new box and there were NO R2's. This happened several times when I went in there. It doesn't surprise me. I bet that a majority of "scalpers" are people that actually work at these toy stores and they put aside the harder to find figures so that they can buy them at the end of their shift using their "employee discount," and then they come home and put them on ebay.

Scalpers suck!

plasticfetish
05-03-2002, 02:59 AM
It really is one thing when an employee puts aside a figure or two to add to their collection (there's got to be some perks for having such a low paying job) ... it's totally another when they basically try and profit at the expense of their employers customers. In this case, I'm sure, one of their employers better and more regular customers. It's good that you went back and said something, It's even better that you were civil about it. It makes us the collectors look good and them the people who just want to profit look bad.
(I think the idea of forcing them to sell you all of the figures was funny too ... to spite them, I would have given them out as gifts to the kids at my son's preschool.)

Jedi Drew
05-03-2002, 09:52 AM
So...if you have a job at WM or TRU that gives you the first shot on the "HARD TO FIND TOYS???" If you are going thru the boxes of figures and put them aside you are really shopping on company time-even if you haven't paid for them. You should be working not SHOPPING in the stockroom. I don't want to start a fight but that's my opinion since I did work in retail management for four years.:crazed: :crazed:

Darth_Growl
05-03-2002, 12:12 PM
The guys I ran into yesterday were obviously working there for one reason and one reason only--to get first dibs on the hard to find figures. I mean, first they get busted, trying to withhold mcfarlane merchandise from the customers, and then they get busted trying to withhold star wars merchandise. These guys are obvious scalpers. Looks like scalpers are infesting everything. They have truly decided to follow the dark path. Oh well. I'm sure they are filling out an application at Target now that they probably lost their job at wal mart. ;)

Dar' Argol
05-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Insert Mighty Mouse music here

Well, I'm back with another installment of "Dar' Argol's inside Wal-Mart"

What those 2 employees did is concidered "understocking" in the WM company. I don't have the hand book right in front of me but I think it read something like this.

"Any merchandise that is with held from the sales floor by an associate for purchase at a later time is concidered understocking. Disiplinary measures can include up to termination."

I was not the individual Jedi Drew was reffering to. I was there at midnight setting up all the stuff and right b/4 12am I went back and punched out to get my stuff with everyone else. I truely believe that anyone who holds stuff in the back should be fired. I would press on to the Store Manager and relate to him this experiance. But, make sure his tag says 'Store Manager" and not "Assistant Manager". They have a habit of doing that.

bigbarada
05-03-2002, 03:35 PM
I must say that even though their selection is crap, my Wal-Mart is pretty honest about the toys. The two guys stocking the shelves on 4/23 were more than helpful and even let me go through cases before they stocked them, which I'm sure is also against some Wal-Mart policy somewhere. Anyways, not all Wal-Mart employees are low-life scalpers, I just wanted to give credit where credit it due.

jedi master sal
05-03-2002, 03:42 PM
We don't need no stinking credits!
Credits are no good out here!
Credit Schmedit!

With the exception of Dar' Agol I've had nothing but bad luck when it comes too WM employees!

Darth_Growl
05-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Why should it matter whether he's an assistant manager or a manager? The dude I spoke to had assistant manager under his name. :mad:

Jedi Drew
05-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Dar' Argol I'm sorry if you thought I was refering to you-I wasn't. There is another person who posts on this site and works at WM that was bragging to high heaven that he got all the figures set aside BEFORE the 23rd release date. Take care and Happy Hunting...... :D :D :D :D

plasticfetish
05-03-2002, 09:05 PM
This is an interesting issue ... I think what Dar' Argol tells us about the Wal-Mart policy says a lot. When I worked retail, many moons ago, the general idea was that an employees money was just as good as the average customer, (if not better, because the company profits twice from their time and their dollars). If something was going to go on sale, or whatever, an employee could put it on hold and then buy it after work. (yeah, I'm not talking about shopping out of the stock-room, that's wrong.) I have no problem with the hard line policy of doing away with that either ... frankly I figure there's really enough to go around for all of us. What the Wal-Mart policy tells us, is that this sort of thing is so much of a problem ... that they had to decide to do away with any sort of employee perks. Basically, guys like the two you nailed ruin things for everyone, guys like Dar' Argol just have better common sense.

Jarrell
05-03-2002, 09:16 PM
them low down, sruffy looking , dooku hoarders!!

Dar' Argol
05-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Growl
Why should it matter whether he's an assistant manager or a manager? The dude I spoke to had assistant manager under his name. :mad:

It matters b/c the Assistant you spoke to may be over another dept, like clothing. Therefore, that Asst would have to wait to speak to the Asst that is over to 2 ppl you caught b/4 any action could be taken. So, say that takes a day. Then by the time Asst # 1 sees Asst # 2 its most likely half way through the day. I know how WM runs and unless you talk to the right person, they forget about it over the course of the day. If you talked to the Store Manager, he doesn't have to check with the other Asst. His responcibilty is the whole store.

BTW, if you really want to get some fire under their arses, grab the "Letter to the president" form. Usually they are back in Layaway, or at the Service Desk. It may take a few weeks but you should get a phone call from the store manager about it.

Originally posted by Jedi Drew
Dar' Argol I'm sorry if you thought I was refering to you-I wasn't. There is another person who posts on this site and works at WM that was bragging to high heaven that he got all the figures set aside BEFORE the 23rd release date

NP Drew. I knew you were not talking about me. I just wanted to clear it up for everyone else that may have not see those posts. I know exactly who you are talking about and I fell like you. That is wrong, to the customers, to the other employees, and to the company. There are other things I feel on this subject but I will keep them out of here.

Darth_Growl
05-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Ugh! And I took time out of my day to go speak to that guy. Hrrmm...I'll make sure to fill out that form. I just wish it didn't take two weeks to see some results. Oh well. I'll keep you guys posted on this situation. :)