PDA

View Full Version : Obi Wan Coruscant Chase

Darth Trymybestus
05-02-2002, 04:10 PM
what do you think of the face sculpt of Obi Wan Coruscant Chase? I think they've done ok but I don't think that the real scan technology has really captured the likeness of Ewan McGregor.
Although I don't think the first Phantom Menace Obi Wan looked anything like him.
The best Obi Wan face sculpt is the Cold Weather Obi Wan, anyone agree?
Which is the best AOTC face sculpt so far?

Beast
05-02-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
what do you think of the face sculpt of Obi Wan Coruscant Chase? I think they've done ok but I don't think that the real scan technology has really captured the likeness of Ewan McGregor.
Although I don't think the first Phantom Menace Obi Wan looked anything like him.
The best Obi Wan face sculpt is the Cold Weather Obi Wan, anyone agree?
Which is the best AOTC face sculpt so far?
The real scanning process is only used to create a 3 dimensional model hardcopy of the charecter, like those busts that were shown last year at Toy Fair. They do not use them for the final 4" figures, as shrinking them down to figure size would hurt the detail of their faces to much. It still comes down to the sculpter to sculpt the most accurate face he can. It is alot easier with 3-D models, then it was with flat photos. And most are pretty close.

As for who has the best face sculpt of the human charecters, I would have to say that Anakin: Hanger Duel is very close, as is Padme: Arena. The Mace Windu figures also look alot like Samuel L. Jackson. Dooku is a very good likeness of Christopher Lee, I hear the Deluxe figure looks more like him, but I don't have him yet. Boba Fett is close, but they used to light of plastic for his face, just like they did Shmi. Jango is close, but the scars detract from the facial likeness. I'm still waiting to get Typho, so I can't comment there.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

leenovak
05-02-2002, 04:22 PM
I know the figure gets bashed a lot, but Padme is a really good face capture I think. I don't care for either of the Anakin's frankly, Obi-Wan was average. Jango's looks pretty good as well from pictures I've seen of that actor.

Battle Droid
05-02-2002, 04:26 PM
I find all the Ep2 Obi-Wan's hidious, and have yet to buy one.

Though I do like Obi-Wan Jedifighter Pilot fig. He's got more of a likeness to Ewan/Obi.

pthfnder89
05-02-2002, 04:35 PM
I think Hangar Duel Anakin is actually very good. Padmes face is also pretty good, but I don't think it's nearly as accurate as tattoine Padme from Ep1. That face sculpt was amazingly accurate.

I like the new Mace Windu sculpts but I don't think either of them is as accurate as the Ep1 figures either. I'm probably going to switch off one of their heads for one of my old Maces.

As far as the Obi Wans go, I think Coruscant Chase Obi Wan is very accurate, although I have seen some of them with awful paint jobs that really mess it up.:( But every Deluxe ObiWan i've seen looks nothing like Ewan.

Still better than any of the Ep1 Obis though. I NEVER saw an Ep1 ObiWan that looked anything like him.

leenovak
05-02-2002, 04:48 PM
I just don't see it with Anakin - HD. Maybe I just got a bad sculpt/mold/paint job or what have you.

The more I looke at it, Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan does look pretty good.

JediTricks
05-02-2002, 11:42 PM
On Obi-Wan, what bothered me about it was how thick the facial hair was and how blonde ALL the hair was - it really changed my opinion of how the figure looked. To fix this, I took an orange highlighter and covered all his hair with it and the sculpt seems MUCH more accurate now, even though I know nothing was changed besides the hair color.

Darth Nihilus
05-03-2002, 05:03 AM
I thought that from what I have seen so far that Obi-Wan and Count Dooku stand out the most so far. I think that HD Ani and Padme are good without being great. But the most accurate sculpt so far would have to be R2-D2, man they really captured his essence there.;)

LTBasker
05-03-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
But the most accurate sculpt so far would have to be R2-D2, man they really captured his essence there.;)

Guess it would probably have to do with the fact he was sculpted pre-E2 line. :happy:

JEDIpartner
05-03-2002, 09:12 AM
If you have a spotting brush (one of the really fine ones) and a bottle of Testors flat brown (which is really a light reddish tan colour) you can repaint Obi-Wan's eyebrows and "lowlight" his hair as I did. The figure as he exists in the bubble... originally thought Ben Affleck, looks a lot like Richard Chamberlain in "SHOGUN". Anyhow... I fixed it all up and he looks a lot more like Ewan now.

Padme's face is too thin. Natalie Portman's got a more squat face and that's really the problem with that figure... other than the stupid non-fuctioning pose/arm.