PDA

View Full Version : What was the last non SW book you read?

QLD
05-03-2002, 03:40 AM
I am just curious, as I always like to get to know everyone here better. I think this gives you a little insight on your fellow posters.

So, what was the last non-Star Wars book that you read?

Mine was:

Bias by Bernard Goldberg.

He is a former CBS news correspondant who talks about how there is a liberal slant to the news in America. Very interesting read. It gets a little redundant in some places, but some of the things I found shocking.

derek
05-03-2002, 08:22 AM
i read "black hawk down" and "shadow warriors" by tom clancey recently.

2-1B
05-03-2002, 08:51 AM
I just started Underboss, the story of Sammy the Bull Gravano. Other than the AOTC novelization, this is the first book I'll read for pleasure in quite a while. I'm usually trying to read some more "academic" texts but I must admit to being a little behind. ;)

QLD
05-03-2002, 11:06 AM
I hear ya Caesar. I don't get to nearly as often as I would like, especially with the fast releases of the New Jedi Order books.

stillakid
05-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Fiction: Dune, House Corrino
NonFiction: A Brief History of Time
Comics: Danger Girl
Newspaper: LA Times
Back of Cereal Box: Lucky Charms

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Since I am the Master of Lists (take this e-Jargo! :rolleyes: ), I actually keep a running total of all the books I've read from as far back as I can remember. Now, I don't consider Dr. Seuss, Disney, comic books, magazines, etc. in that list, just novels (but young reader ones do count, if they're at least 90+ pages). So...

Last completed non-SW book (as of 5/3): From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne
Last completed SW book (as of 5/3): Rebel Dream by Aaron Alliston (sp?)
Total of all books read (as of 5/3): 332
Total of all SW books read (as of 5/3): 145

Common authors/titles:
A.C. Clarke
J.R.R. Tolkien
J. Steinbeck
Harry Potter
Encyclopedia Brown
Paddington Bear
W. Least-Heat Moon
J. Campbell (duh! )
W. Shakespeare
H.G. Wells

187-Maul
05-03-2002, 12:43 PM
mine was "la bete de la cave" from goosebumps (in french) which I had to read for school to learn reading and spoeeking better french (and believe me, my french speaking and loud reading is now much better, no kidding)

jeddah
05-03-2002, 01:45 PM
In my current fiction sabbatical (I normaly read only non-ficiton; Currently reading Dreamcatcher by SK (largely borrowed from Dark Skies), but finished the exquisite Elementals an out-of-print horror from Michael McDowell (http://www.anyway.com.au/books/prod1865.htm).

Most recent Non-fiction was the challenging Witnessed (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671570315/qid=1020447785/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_67_4/104-3285384-0705542) by Budd Hopkins.

jeddah

Lobito
05-03-2002, 02:01 PM
The godfather...a loooong time ago. As most books, it shows more facts than the movie.

spacelord
05-03-2002, 04:21 PM
non fiction - Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
fiction - The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Sith Vicious
05-03-2002, 07:21 PM
"The Wizardwar" by Elaine Cunningham.

stormie
05-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Last two were:
Treasure Island by RL Stevenson
Jupiter by B Bova

Now reading Kydd by J Stockwin

And I have a couple G Benford books waiting after that.

Though I may have to pick up the latest J Auel book that just came out (after like 12 years of waiting!).

Nothing like a good read! :)

Jason B
05-03-2002, 09:31 PM
i just finished up Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. great book, awesome ending. :)

2-1B
05-03-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by spacelord
non fiction - Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche

What do you think?
It's been a year since I've read any Nietzsche, but it could always be quite challenging and rewarding. :)

DeadEye
05-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Anyone read Run by Douglas E. Wynter? That's got to be one of the most violent, racist, and profane novels ever written.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-04-2002, 12:00 AM
Well, I guess I must be pretty boring. I've only had time to read one book during this past semester due to school and it was on heterocyclic chemistry. Kind of interesting chemistry-wise but would probably bore the hell out of anyone unless you are into that kind of thing.

As soon as the class was over I started reading "Fellowship of the Ring" which I found to be a good read. The beginning part was really tedious, but after getting used to the writing style, I fell into it. I'm now reading Two Towers cause I just can't wait for the next one to come out.

JediDan
05-04-2002, 08:11 PM
I think it was Clifford the Red Dog, back in Elementary school.

sith_killer_99
05-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Deadspeak by Brian Lumley

It's part of the Necroscope series.

I am also reading The Chronicles of Narnia (by C.S. Lewis) to my daughter. We are on book 3 The Boy and His Horse.

Mike Troxell
05-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Huckleberry Finn, books by Kurt Vonnegut, Lost Moon (memoirs of Jim Lovell, Apollo 13 movie based on it)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-05-2002, 01:01 AM
It was called the "Taking Charge, Lyndon B. Johnson and the White House Tapes of 1963-1964" The book was edited by Michael Beschloss. It is interesting to read since during many of the tapes, Johnson, his aides and his friends express serious doubt about being involved in Vietnam, and how they knew that they would lose the war given their (then) current objectives and commitment as well as the entanglements with the South Vietnamese government and the will of the North and the Vietcong. This was a year before war broke out. Someone compared Lyndon to a Greek tragedy character who knows his fate yet seems powerless to act or try to change the situation. Oh, yeah I picked it up at the Dollar Store (shows you how cheap I am)

SWAFMAN
05-05-2002, 01:59 AM
I'm reading "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking right now. I'm trying really hard to understand as much of it as possible, and that's not always easy to do. I read this one paragraph where he refers to two separate quantities, saying both quantities are infinite, but one is less than the other by a finite amount. I literally had to take a nap after trying to process that concept. But even with the frequent brain overloads, I still recommend the book.

Read Grisham's book "The Summons" about a month ago - pretty typical formula Grisham book. Ending was a let-down for me. So far, Grisham's "The Testament" is my favorite, by far, of all his stuff. I thought "The Brethren" was pretty good, too.

Also recently read "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci. It is much different from all his past stuff that I read, but I thought it was great.

Looking forward to next books by Stephen Hunter, Clancy (NOT that Op Center crap that others write and he puts his name on the cover, but his real Jack Ryan continuing storyline novels), and Larry Bond.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 02:11 AM
I read Lord of the Rings shortly after Christmas and seeing FOTR. Aside from that the last fiction book I read was "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton and "The Pilgrim's Regress" by CS Lewis.

Pendo
05-05-2002, 12:46 PM
The last non SW book that I read was..."Spot the dog" :D.

OK, to be honest I don't remember what the last book I read was. I don't really like reading, I even have to force myself to read a Star Wars book. Once I start reading and I enjoy it I can't put it down, but it's starting that's the hard part.

PENDO!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-05-2002, 08:13 PM
I cannot go any length of time without reading something. Others go to beaches or gambling places for Spring Break; I read books. I think I read 10 this past break. It is my favorite hobby besides SW. One of my worst nightmares would be like that Twilight Zone episode with Burgis Meridith (sp?) where his glasses break and he can't read all the books he has all the time in world to read. :( :eek:

jobi
05-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Sea of Swords by R.A. Salvatore

QLD
05-05-2002, 11:23 PM
It's interesting to hear what my fellow posters are reading.

spacelord
05-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

What do you think?
It's been a year since I've read any Nietzsche, but it could always be quite challenging and rewarding. :)

Quintessential German, if I may say. So much so that I wish I could have read it in the original language, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. His assertion on the will to power is very compelling. I found myself often comparing that section to parts of Sun Tzuís The Art of War, and enjoying it all the more. Some of the sections seem harsh, but perhaps not taken in the correct context. The sections on philosophers and religion were more difficult for me, but I think it is because I am not a well read as I need to be. If I read some Aquinas or Augustine and go back to Nietzsche in a year or so, I think I might get more out of it.

OC47150
05-07-2002, 11:47 AM
We Were Soldiers Once... And Young, the book the Mel Gibson movie is based on.

I started reading T. Zahn's Specter of the Past at C2.

After meeting RA Salvatore at C2, I'm going to read some of his other works. Very nice man.