PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to Art Bell or Phil Hendry?

QLD
05-03-2002, 02:54 AM
These are two talk radio shows that I really enjoy. I was turned on to them by my good friend 12" Lando.

Art Bell for those who don't know, talks about any and everything supernatural. He has many guests, and the show is always fascinating or scary. Depending on how open your mind is.

Phil Hendry is a comedy show. He does a pretend call in show. He will play the host, and also do the voices of guests on the show. Often doing voices of 3 or 4 people talking to each other. His talent is amazing. The great thing is, people will call in and think the show is real. The topics of the show are almost something totally insane, like, there should be no legal consent age for sex because they are going to do it anyway. Sounds crazy, but it's great stuff!

Here are the websites for those shows, and maybe you can find them on a station near you!

http://www.artbell.com

http://www.philhendrieshow.com/

Dryanta
05-03-2002, 06:11 AM
Hey qld,
I listen to Hendry almost every night.The guy does have talent.The topics are completely off the wall.When I was still driving truck I'd have Art Bell on at night when I was driving during those hours.Not as much anymore.I catch just a few minutes of him a couple times a week.Here he comes on at 10:00pm right after Hendry.

derek
05-03-2002, 07:19 AM
QLD,

i'm east of the rockies....on the wild card line....

i like art bell, but my only problem with him is he lets his guests slide too much when they are dead wrong. the Y2K guys who said the world was gonna end, and when nothing happened, art should of got them on his show and said what phoneys they were.

or that gordon michael scallion guy, has made numerous predictions that didn't come true and art just lets him slide. i think by doing this, it hurts art's credibility. but i do enjoy his show.

and i like phil hendry. first time i heard his show he surely fooled me. the topic was so outrageous that i eventually figured out this had to be a put on. but people fall for it every day.

by the way, there is a syndicated morning host named glenn beck. you ever heard him do his art bell impersonation? it's hilarious. he keeps going on about calling in east and west of the rockies and the wild card line...:crazed:

2-1B
05-03-2002, 07:55 AM
I loved listening to Art Bell, but awhile back the local affiliate replaced his show with the Jim Bohannen (sp?) show so if I want Art I have to tune in on a really clear night to get a good reception.

derek, you're dead on about the Y2K thing, I listened alot in 1999 and I was bothered by some of the predictions. I didn't think it was going to be too bad, but after hearing time and again about how all the grids were going to fall like dominoes, well it was alarming. And then after 2000 rang in, I didn't hear much about it at all.

QLD
05-03-2002, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I agree that he lets his guests slide a little too far. SOmetimes he will question them, and sometimes not.

Also, Phil Hendry did a couple of mock Art Bell shows as well. They are hilarious! There is even one where he pretends to be Art Bell, who then pretends to be Phil Hendry. Great stuff!

bigbarada
05-03-2002, 01:05 PM
I used to listen to Art Bell all the time when I was stationed in Ft. Hood. Two shows that stick out in my mind that really spooked me were one about a guy who found an injured alien on the side of the road and put it in his freezer. I was thinking "yeah, right" the whole program, then this guy played a tape of the alien screaming. Fake or not, it was still creepy as heck to listen to while driving on the highway at 3:30 AM.

Another one was an interview with a Catholic priest who was also an exorcist. Very spooky stuff.:eek:

Unfortunately, we don't get Art Bell or Phil Henry out here in the desert.:mad:

QLD
05-03-2002, 05:30 PM
Big Barada, I heard that show about the alien in the freezer as well. They played a re-run of it recently. It was really creepy!

The priest you are referring to is Father Malakai I believe. He was a really interesting guest. He passed away a few years ago though unfortunately.

bigbarada
05-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Now that you mention it, I do remember them saying his show was a rerun and he had passed away not too long before (this was in 1999).

I used your links to artbell.com and found out that there IS a radio station in Alamogordo that plays his show.:D What time does it usually start?

Dryanta
05-03-2002, 08:31 PM
I heard a alien story a couple years ago while trucking.I thought the guy said something about going into the woods with his dog and they came upon the alien.The dog got disentigrated by a vortex and he then hit ET with a stick,thought it was dead and took it home a stuck it in the freezer.Went a day or to later and the thing was alive in the freezer trying to get out.The scream was from Et getting out of the freezer?Maybe I've confussed a few stories together.ANybody else remember this from one or more Guests.
The first time I heard Hendry he had me going.The skit progressed to the point where I knew it was faked.Real talent though.The one about the New Yorker who used a stun gun on the nether regions of a guy singing "My way" in a Kareoke bar.

QLD
05-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Dryanta, that is the story that we are discussing. It was a creepy story.

Dryanta
05-03-2002, 08:46 PM
O.K. cool.I thought so but I didn't want to risk a bad memory screwing up your conversation.
I gotta say I really enjoyed the story and when a got home a few days later I checked the web site for the alien pictures.They were the most riculous thing I've ever seen!!LOL.Alien autopsy should have won an oscar compared to that stuff.I do remember that .

Jason B
05-03-2002, 08:49 PM
i just heard his show, (what was it, last week?), for the first time, and he had me believing it. it was the one with the "woman" saying that all Catholic Priests and the Pope were rapists, and they all needed to be removed.

Obi-Don
05-05-2002, 03:47 AM
I listen to Art just about every night. I work at night and on my breaks I go to my car and listen to him. I don't get to hear the whole show but I do enjoy listening to him.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 12:51 PM
What ever happened with that guy who dropped a refridgerator down a hole in his yard, only to find it never made a crashing sound ? ? ?

Last night while driving home I listened to a bit of Coast to Coast (Barbara Simpson filling in for Art) and a caller asked about that refridgerator guy, I think his name was Mel?

Anyway, I do remember hearing Art talking about that awhile ago . . .

QLD
05-05-2002, 01:06 PM
That was Mel's Hole. Apparantly the military showed up and said, you can take this money and leave, or take nothing and still leave. So he took the money and left. To AUstralia if memory servers. They did a follow up show with him, where he went into what happened with the military.

It was a creepy story too. He had miles of rope with weights attached at regular intervals, and still found no sign of hitting bottom. They threw couches, refrigerators, all sorts of stuff down there, and never heard anything hit.

THE Slayer
05-05-2002, 07:05 PM
So what's in Mel's hole?
Theories? anyone?

Dryanta
05-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Mel's hole huh?No idea.I haven't heard that one.It does remind me of a movie I saw once a million years ago.It was one of those hooky capitualion movies of acted out old folk tales.Rural mythes if you will.
The story was set back in the mid 1800's.A kid and his dog were playing around in the woods near their new homested.The dog fell in a mysterious hole.The kid goes home in a pnaic and his father comes back with him.They set up a tripod and pulleys.Neighbors help lower him down until they are out of rope.He apparently never reached the bottom but did come up completely insane from the expience.he was screaming about seeing something but i don't remember what he claimed to have seen.I don't know if they're related at all.
My guess would be it's a really deep hole.
;)

I enjoy his show for the entertainment value of it.I think a few of his guests are just B.S. artists.The one guy how said they had ariel photographs of an alien invasion armada parked at some remote lake in Canada waiting for the ensueing choas of Y2K pops to mind.

QLD
05-05-2002, 10:25 PM
A lot of his guests are fake, and he will sometimes call them on it. A lot of them are not in my opinion.

All I know is, that according to the length they said the rope he lowered, it should have been around the center of the earth.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 01:27 AM
I just searched Artbell.com and couldn't find any info on Mel but there was A LOT that I didn't look at.

I'm still waiting to meet a Shadow Person :D

Dryanta
05-06-2002, 08:58 AM
Hey caesar,
What's a shadow person?

2-1B
05-06-2002, 09:32 AM
Dryanta,
Art seems fascinated by stories of what he calls Shadow People, ghostlike entities that harass and attack people. If you follow this link (http://www.artbell.com/shadows.html) you'll find a few pages of people's own renditions of these creatures. Some of them look similar, while others are completely different in appearance.

But I can't answer what they "are" since it's not known definitely. The stories do sometimes sound convincing, but my biggest skepticism is this - if these evil and mischievous characters can do these things, why to only to a tiny segment of the population? I'd think they would want to run rampant. Maybe they are, we just haven't noticed. :crazed:

I haven't heard about them lately, maybe someone else has heard Art talk about them recently? :)

THE Slayer
05-06-2002, 09:40 AM
If these shadow men are real it makes sense why only a small small percentage of people have seen them, for a couple reasons. 1. If you're a demonic spirit or that likes to wreck havoc it makes sense that only someone believes you exists. bcs, If everyone believes it thats when things start to change. You're not quite as scarry.
2. Maybe you have to be a psychic. or more specifically a certain type of psychic, clairvoyant, or a medium, perhaps.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Or maybe you have to be a bit L :crazed: :crazed: NY to see them!

*plays Andy Gibb's Shadow Dancing as mood music* :D

2-1B
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Holy jeez, I remember this thread like it was yesterday but it's been FIVE AND A HALF YEARS since it went dormant? :eek:

Anyway when I read about Ming the Clam it reminded me of an Art Bell type story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7066389.stm