PDA

View Full Version : brother in rotj

Sean the Hutt
05-03-2002, 03:43 AM
I noticed that there is a "brother" pilot in the big battle scene at the end. why not make a figure of him? I think he was in an x wing, though he doesn't make it through the battle unfortunately., I think he was put in for the special edition.

LTBasker
05-03-2002, 04:30 AM
Yeah he was an X-wing. I would like them to make more of the pilot figures like him and others, especially human B-wing pilots.

QLD
05-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Wouldn't black or African American be a little more polite rather than brother?

Dak Powers
05-03-2002, 10:31 AM
lol... I didn't understand what he was talking about until I read your reply, Dong. I was thinking "somebody's brother? Ten Nunb?"

Darth Ovori
05-03-2002, 10:40 AM
I was also totally confussed, I ended up thinking of someone from the Big brother show... Maybe because I've got the Rotterdam version currently happening down my road... :crazed:

pthfnder89
05-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dak Powers
lol... I didn't understand what he was talking about until I read your reply, Dong. I was thinking "somebody's brother? Ten Nunb?"

Hehe, me too :)

Actually Sean that black pilot has always been in ROTJ although like you said, he doesn't make it out alive. I'd love for them to make him.

It's funny you mentioned him because looking at the Celebration photos of the Endor troopers, I'm kind of diappointed that they didn't make one of them black. It's not a big thing, but considering how many background characters Hasbro makes, and that in the background was pretty much the only place we get to see any black people (besides Lando of course:)) in the OT, I think it's reasonable to do that.

Taichi
05-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Yeah, Brotha is more accurate.......

and African American wouldn't have applied......

America, and Africa didn't exist a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......

BanthaPoodoo
05-03-2002, 03:18 PM
::slaps face:: ohhh, I get it!!!! thanks for clearing that up for me!!

I had read this thread a few times & didnt quite understand....

I think a variety would have been good on the Bespin Security as well (like in the original line)

Jargo
05-03-2002, 03:20 PM
You mean this dude? Hell yeah hasbro should be making more ethicly(sp?) diverse characters and not just the honkies. One Oriental bespin guard one samoan captain of security one Lando and One black captain of security in like four years is not good. better than the pathetic turn out for the vintage line but hardly representational of a multi-ethnic pan global collecting fanbase. :)
Time for change methinks. That said I don't want to see millions of black background characters and nothing else either. just a broader mix and variety of ethnic types. Star wars reflects a richly diverse universe in its human characters as well as the aliens.

Darth_Growl
05-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Actually, colored people prefer the name "Soul Brotha" or "Soul Sista" to Afro American or African American. All my colored friends love to be called "Soul Brotha". It depends on the type of person you speak to of course. :p

pthfnder89
05-03-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Growl
Actually, colored people prefer the name "Soul Brotha" or "Soul Sista" to Afro American or African American. All my colored friends love to be called "Soul Brotha". It depends on the type of person you speak to of course. :p

Um... yeah, you got that right.

If I yelled out to a black person here in Dallas "Hey Soul Brotha!" I might not make it home alive.:)

QLD
05-03-2002, 06:20 PM
No, we don't prefer to be called that.

Sean the Hutt
05-03-2002, 08:58 PM
I meant no disrespect by the term brother...heck call me what you will.if you want. I just did not think all the other "black" people in the world would appreciate the term African American I have lived in many countries in many ethnicly diverse neighborhoods, some that I was truely the minority in.
If you would use your logic you would see the point was not about the " black" guy, but the fact that he should be represented in our toy universe, 1 as a cool looking pilot, 2 as another "black" character, which Star Wars could certainly use.
Where I come from brother is not a bad word, if it bent you out of shape tough I am tired of all the winers on here about every pc thing, There are definately wrong things to say but get a grip,

Kay show! or however you spell it
equal oppertunity action figure collector

Darth_Growl
05-03-2002, 09:05 PM
I mean, I wouldn't yell that out to just any colored person. He'd have to be my friend of course. Over here in San Diego, colored people are pretty mellow compared to Los Angeles, South Central or Long Beach. :p It's funny though; 90% of all my friends are colored, yet none of them collect star wars or are into star wars. blah! The only reason they want to go see the movie is to see Mace Windu or as they call him "Mad Jackson". :D

QLD
05-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Nothing anybody says on the internet bends me out of shape. In person, maybe it would, who knows. Personally, I don't agree with the African-American thing unless you were born in Africa. However, some people prefer to be called that, and I feel it should be respected. I think black is perfectly acceptable.

However, you have to recognize the potential problems that can be caused by referring to blacks as brotha's. If they don't mind, that's great. But anyone with common sense should know better than to do that, unless they don't care.

I am not whining about anything, but I feel it the right, and moral thing to do, when people speak in a way that might offend others, to let them know of it's potential harm. While it's not going to keep me up at night, there might people there it might. Even if it's not offensive where you come from, you should recognize that the world is a much bigger place than that.

Taichi
05-03-2002, 10:07 PM
hmm...Isn't Mace black?

we got him within the last four years.....

Dryanta
05-03-2002, 10:21 PM
It's funny,I didn't pick up on the brother thing.
I never really understood what's wrong with the term Black?I personally refer to everybody as him her or by name and never really bring race or what ever into it.In the rare occation I have to describe someone I always say black when it applies.
I'm a white guy.Big deal some one calls me white.Maybe it would de different if I weren't white?I really don't know but I have to agree.Another word probably should have been used,but he's free to use what ever word he wants right?
That's all I have to say.

Sean the Hutt
05-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Coming from a guy who calls himself quite long dong, Should I have to worry about offending people? I have friends I refer to as brother, black or white, to all my star wars brothers I will let the subject go, geez

therock0603
05-03-2002, 11:33 PM
If you're worried about politeness then you might want to think about changing your name, Quite-Long Dong.

bigbarada
05-03-2002, 11:51 PM
What do you mean there weren't enough black people in the OT? Darth Vader was black! At least his voice was. :D What about Djas Puhr? Doesn't he count?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-04-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Growl
I mean, I wouldn't yell that out to just any colored person. He'd have to be my friend of course. Over here in San Diego, colored people are pretty mellow compared to Los Angeles, South Central or Long Beach. :p It's funny though; 90% of all my friends are colored, yet none of them collect star wars or are into star wars. blah! The only reason they want to go see the movie is to see Mace Windu or as they call him "Mad Jackson". :D

Not to jump down anyone's throat, but I always took the term "colored" to be offensive; something that has a negative connotation in this day and age.

I happen to come from the Long Beach area. It's been my experience that African-Americans from there, as well as LA, are neither more or less "mellow" compared to those living in other areas. They are just like all the other people I came into contact with living in SoCal.

*stepping off the soapbox*

I always thought it was funny that the only other black actor besides Billy Dee in SW got blown up without even seeing him in another scene. Maybe Chris Rock was right. Whitey has written blacks out of the future by the looks of most sci-fi pix. :)