PDA

View Full Version : Digital theater listing

Arrogant Arse
05-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Does anyone have any kind of listing on which theaters will have the digital projection equipment, i.e. Star or UA or whatever?

I want to go see E2:AOTC in all it's digital glory, and am not sure where to go.

Any help wopuld be great.

Thanks

JediTricks
05-04-2002, 01:47 AM
I saw both digital versions of Ep 1 twice each and I can't say that DLP (the superior one to be sure) is "all its digital glory". IMO, digital projection still has too many flaws.

However, you're not asking my opinion, you're asking for facts, so...
DLP cinemas: http://www.dlp.com/dlp/cinema/where.asp

stillakid
05-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I saw both digital versions of Ep 1 twice each and I can't say that DLP (the superior one to be sure) is "all its digital glory". IMO, digital projection still has too many flaws.

However, you're not asking my opinion, you're asking for facts, so...
DLP cinemas: http://www.dlp.com/dlp/cinema/where.asp

Thanks for that link! Very cool. And I'm with you on the digi thing, but it's coming around.

2-1B
05-04-2002, 12:21 PM
I noticed they are allegedly adding an exclusive scene to the digital copies - I don't know that I agree with such a tactic.

Remember, this is the no spoilers section, so don't make any guesses as to what it is. I just wanted to throw that out in case any of the nonspoiled forumites have missed the info.

:)

stillakid
05-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I noticed they are allegedly adding an exclusive scene to the digital copies - I don't know that I agree with such a tactic.

Remember, this is the no spoilers section, so don't make any guesses as to what it is. I just wanted to throw that out in case any of the nonspoiled forumites have missed the info.

:)

Thanks for the heads up. What would be the advantage for Lucasfilm to do that?

2-1B
05-05-2002, 03:05 AM
The only advantage I can think of is to entice more people to seek out a digital screening. Personally, I know I would go but there isn't a digital projector exhibiting the film within any states near me. :(

But I would go for the opportunity to evaluate the digital projection itself, whereas some other people might go just because there's a new scene. And that is kinda dishonest if LFL is trying to get more places to install digital projectors. The technology should be used on its own merits, not because there is bonus material.

I dunno, whatever scene they shot (I've heard nothing as to what it involves) can't be too important, probably more of an establishing shot or something. But I'm speculating on that. :)

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 01:15 AM
On its own merits, I don't think theaters would buy these. They are very expensive and the curved screen causes the projection to have 11 noticable vertical lines running down the image. Thus, Lucas is invested (emotionally, IMO) in getting more people in the digital theaters no matter the methods to get more theaters interested in digital projection.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Vertical lines running down the image? Disgusting! :frus:

earl
05-08-2002, 01:20 PM
check out DLP.com pal!