PDA

View Full Version : New Essential Guide

El Chuxter
05-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Haven't noticed too much discussion, and maybe this book's gotten kinda lost in the shuffle. I got mine from amazon yesterday and, though I haven't read all of it (partly due to my happening upon an AOTC spoiler under Ki-Adi's bio and not wanting to spoil the movie further), it looks awesome.

The art kicks the living doodoo out of the art in the previous edition. Even Xizor and Dash Rendar look better than the pig terds we all know them to be. Corran and Mara look incredible. And in color!

I noticed that the little discrepancy about Greedo (how he could be a youngun' in ANH and be beaten up by Anakin in Mos Espa) is addressed, as is the origin of that nutty "Jaster Mereel" moniker Boba Fett's been known to use. And there's also a tiny bit about the whereabouts of Boba, Bib Fortuna, and Kyle Katarn during the NJO, as well as the sad news of Mon Mothma's passing.

And best of all, since it doesn't include folks like Het N'kik, Gartogg, Kneesa, and Davin Felth, the old one isn't completely obsolete! I hope any updates to the other Essential Guides are the same way.

PloKoon2385
05-03-2002, 05:33 PM
I think it is awesome too. The only part I don't like is that I paid $7 more than I should have. ($25 at Barnes and Noble, $18 at Wal Mart!)

Sith Vicious
05-03-2002, 07:15 PM
I'm waiting until after I see the movie to get it, but the entries they previewed in the SW Insider looked cool.

Sidiously Darth
05-04-2002, 01:14 PM
I also bought mine ag B&N. Just so I could get the free magazine.

Anyway, what I have read so far has been great but it is spoiler heavy. So be careful reading this thing.

I'm sure there will be much more discussion after the movie comes out.:)

Taichi
05-15-2002, 12:42 AM
I love it......

I'm not big on the EU and don't believe a word of anything that doesn't appear onscreen, but the character bios, for real characters (Except Boba Fett) are pretty spot on......

I hate the re-writing of EU explanations to fit around the fact that the EU is being debunked as nothing more than wishful thinking.....

RooJay
05-15-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Taichi
I love it......

I'm not big on the EU and don't believe a word of anything that doesn't appear onscreen, but the character bios, for real characters (Except Boba Fett) are pretty spot on......

I hate the re-writing of EU explanations to fit around the fact that the EU is being debunked as nothing more than wishful thinking.....
O.k. I understand why someone might not like the EU, but why hate it outright? EU hasn't changed the movies at all, especially if you don't read into it. The EU is not wishful thinking. It's fans attempting to continue the story that Lucas has said he never will. Agree with it or not. Accept it or not. Read it or not. Don't knock us for wanting to have new adventures for our favorite heroes. I love the EU. I hope it keeps coming. I see the EU as a perfectly acceptible, if not always successful, expansion of the Star Wars mythos. Many other fans feel the same.

Yes, this book is great! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! I loved the first one, but I agree that the art was pitiful at best! I do hope they give us a second volume; there are a LOT more characters that they left out.

Sidiously Darth
05-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
I love it......

Remember, all this information has some truth to it...from a certain point of view.:D

Sith Vicious
05-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Now that I've seen the movie, and I've read a few of the entries in the book, I wish they had just waited until Ep. III to redo the guide. As it is we get detailed histories of characters until they get to that section of the time frame then all of a sudden *bam* we get a couple of perfunctory lines going over that part of their history. I suppose it gives them an excuse to redo the whole thing again 3 years down the road.

Taichi
05-18-2002, 04:38 PM
I'm talking mostly about the resurrection of Boba Fett.....he DIED in the Sarlaac....Lucas said this himself.....Fett is DEAD.....the EU is WRONG......

as for killing off Chewbacca, that's just wrong too.......

RooJay
05-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Actually, I've read lots of EU that explains that Boba Fett lived through the Sarlacc incident, and it all sounds RIGHT to me. That's just my point of view though!:happy: Even the story that reveals what happened to Fett during and after his time inside the Sarlacc was cool and sufficient enough to convince me. By the way, even in ROTJ itself it is said that being digested by the Sarlacc takes "a thousand years" and that the Sarlacc keeps you alive during the digestion; plenty of time to make an escape if you have the right equipment, which Boba Fett DID!

I was HIGHLY upset when I heard Chewbacca was being killed off in the books! That's exactly the reason I decided to read Vector Prime (I'm VERY selective of the EU books I read!). After that point I was HOOKED! I still miss Chewbacca's presence in the EU, and I think it would've been great to see him get his chance to rip into a gang of Yuuzhan Vong, but his death made for some GREAT character moments and development! Most EU novels tend to be kind of throw-away in that respect (at least in my opinion;) ), but the NJO books have character development and ACTUAL danger for our heroes to spare.

A'Sharad Hett
05-26-2002, 01:57 AM
Lucus approved Vector Prime (in which Chewie dies) so that isn't wrong, it sucks, but its as real as what you see in the movies,if he approved it, it isn't just wishful thinking, and if he approved that book, he must approve Luke and Mara, stuff like that.

Beast
05-26-2002, 02:01 AM
He approves the EU, as long as it doesn't break his rules and doesn't negate anything in the movies. But in reality it's still not canon, only quasi canon. If Lucas decides to make another movie, and he doesn't want Chewie dead...poof, Chewie's no longer dead. I really think Lucas allowed Chewie's death more as a mercy killing, since as has been stated here before, the writers never knew how to write Chewie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
05-26-2002, 04:52 AM
I hear ya on that mercy killing thing! I think too often in the EU Chewie ended up more as Han Solo's dog. He always seemed to kind of just THERE, never really part of the story; at least not often enough. He too often seemed an incidental in the stories. That is until Vector Prime, which sadly was Chewie's last appearance in the EU. Chewbacca will be sorely missed.:cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
That is until Vector Prime, which sadly was Chewie's last appearance in the EU. Chewbacca will be sorely missed.:cry:
Keep in mind, RJ, that the NJO series is quite far in the EU timeline. So Chewie isn't gone, only after about 25+ years after ROJ. There's lots of time to fit him into other tales between the last film and then. Hooray! :)

Has anyone seen the New Guide lately? Have I waited too long to pick one up? I saw one at a BDalton a couple weeks ago, but not since. Then again, I haven't been looking all that much.

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 06:31 PM
As I understand it, George Lucas doesn't approve all the EU, most of it is approved by LucasLicensing and that approval is not that something is "canon" or not, only that it meets with the quality and standards of Star Wars products.

RooJay
05-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Keep in mind, RJ, that the NJO series is quite far in the EU timeline. So Chewie isn't gone, only after about 25+ years after ROJ. There's lots of time to fit him into other tales between the last film and then. Hooray! :)

Has anyone seen the New Guide lately? Have I waited too long to pick one up? I saw one at a BDalton a couple weeks ago, but not since. Then again, I haven't been looking all that much.

Thanks, and I'm counting on that. What I meant was that Vector Prime is Chewie's last chronological appearance in the EU. If Lucas will allow it, I'd love to see a series focusing on Chewbacca's exploits on his homeworld and prior to meeting Han Solo!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Thanks, and I'm counting on that. What I meant was that Vector Prime is Chewie's last chronological appearance in the EU. If Lucas will allow it, I'd love to see a series focusing on Chewbacca's exploits on his homeworld and prior to meeting Han Solo!
You're welcome!
The Chewbacca comic book mini-series (also in a trade paperback, or collected-together comic) did just that. It had the characters recollecting on Chewie's time with them, some family members, some Rebel friends.

RooJay
06-03-2002, 07:20 PM

You're welcome!
The Chewbacca comic book mini-series (also in a trade paperback, or collected-together comic) did just that. It had the characters recollecting on Chewie's time with them, some family members, some Rebel friends.

I know. I loved it! I'm still hoping for more though. Longer stories would be much appreciated too.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Well, I just finished this, and I had some issues with it. Why did Ric Olie' get an entry? It should've been about 5 paragraphs shorter, i.e. the "Other Notable Entries" page at the end. Why were the games integrated into the continuity? Tetras kai (sp?), SOTE battles, and SW Demolition were "real"? Why not mix in the "SW Tales" stories where Vader fights Maul or Luke doesn't destroy the Death Star? :frus:

The pictures were great! And I greatly appreciated the pronunciations, too. :)

RooJay
06-21-2002, 11:36 PM
I agree for the most part Bel-Cam, but Star Wars Tales was always intended to feature stories that take place outside the regular EU. Some of it would fit quite nicely in my opinion, but much of would not. I do like that they tried to integrate some of the games, but many of them just do not fit in.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-24-2002, 11:11 AM
Roojay, most of the entries that integrate the games usually start with "apparently [character] survived and was seen on [planet]" or "much later, [character] returned." That's not continuity, that's just silly, IMO. I used to like how authors mixed in little details, but now it's getting ludicrous. Oh well.

El Chuxter
06-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Ludicrous speed! They've gone plaid!! :Pirate:

I kinda like a few of the video game details--I can buy that the Emperor sent Arden Lyn to kill Luke, or that Jabba had a demolition derby. But to make all these games full-on EU is pushing it. How much happened between ESB and ROTJ???

RooJay
06-27-2002, 12:43 AM
Roojay, most of the entries that integrate the games usually start with "apparently [character] survived and was seen on [planet]" or "much later, [character] returned." That's not continuity, that's just silly, IMO. I used to like how authors mixed in little details, but now it's getting ludicrous. Oh well.

I know.
Me too.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
06-27-2002, 09:06 AM
I have the new essential guide to charcters and it is a awsome book in my mind all i do is read when i'am bored sometimes at least...

thespar
07-25-2002, 05:12 PM
i enjoyed the book

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2009, 08:47 AM
The SW Atlas is now out. It looks nice, and seems to do a good job of bringing in the now-numerous lands from films, comics, novels, and video games. But, my backstory for Jedi Bel-Cam Jos had him from Chandrilla, the homeworld of Mon Mothma. There's virtually nothing in the Atlas about it; just an index entry and galactic coordinates. :(

TeeEye7
09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Jocosta Nu was probably behind the oversight.

....if it's barely in the records, it probably doesn't exit!