PDA

View Full Version : So um...about Titan A.E. ...

Starfig873
09-08-2001, 03:02 PM
Why does the box say "This is the movie Star Wars fans have been waiting for" ? I mean its not really that bad of a movie, but frankly...I don't remember waiting for this thing... :rolleyes:

Plus is it just me or is the Death Star apart of "New Bangcock"? I saw it when they, Cale and Akima, are leaving. There are two or three large orbs apart of the station...and well..one of em' looks like the Death Star! You can see the super laser cannon and the equatorial trench.

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 03:05 PM
Why does the box say "This is the movie Star Wars fans have been waiting for" ? I mean its not really that bad of a movie, but frankly...I don't remember waiting for this thing...

I think it's referring to the assumption that all SW fans were disappointed with Ep1 and Titan AE would be much better recieved by us. Personally, I didn't even like the movie and I find the notion that critics know what I like more than I do extremely insulting.

2-1B
09-08-2001, 06:25 PM
I've never even watched this film, other than a few minutes on HBO and the ridiculous trailer every damn time I saw TPM. From the looks of that preview, I thought the movie was going to feature some lame CGI stuff . . . over a year later (when the film was actually released) did I learn of the "revolutionary" cartoon advances.

THE Slayer
09-08-2001, 10:47 PM
For those of you who havent seen the movie and are still wondering why 'this is the movie Star Wars fans..." go to suntimes.com and read eberts review. I think he sumed it up pretty well.

Obi-Don
09-09-2001, 04:46 AM
A Star Wars fans dream...I don't think so.It was ok but not even close to Star Wars.

evenflow
09-09-2001, 07:49 AM
I always watched to check it out, but for some reason never did.

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2001, 08:12 AM
They also called Fifth Element a "Star Wars for the 90's" when in fact, it wasn't. While I enjoyed Fifth Element, it sure as GONK! wasn't Stra Wars. Same thing with Titan AE. It was a mediocre film that had it's moments, but Star Wars caliber entertainment? Nuh-uh. I think film marketers (especially the 20th Cent FOX variety) liberally use Star Wars comparisons to pique our interest in a film in order to sell tickets. Don't be angry, they are just trying to do their jobs and get you in the theatre seats. Saying "STAR WARS!!!" is just one of the better tools at their disposal. (heh...I said tool.:D )

And has anyone watched the Easter Egg with the Episode II trailer on the Titan AE DVD?? just wondering...

JediTricks
09-09-2001, 12:07 PM
Titan AE was soooo disappointing when I finally got around to watching it. The CGI look fantastic, but the drawn stuff was a mix, some good, some only fair, but none of it mixed well with the CGI, I thought. The plot wasn't hot stuff and the main characters weren't terribly engrossing, so I suppose for me, it COULD be on par with Ep 1. ;) (that's a joke son, you missed it!)

As for the Fifth Element, while I don't think it had nearly the societal impact that SW has had (and justly so), I do think it had a crucial element that most films like Titan AE really forget about - the 5th Element was EPIC! In fact, in the '90s, I can only think of 3 Sci-Fi films that had this epic feeling off the top of my head: 5th Element, Star Trek: First Contact, and Stargate. The Matrix and Terminator 2 come close, but they're not quite "epic" for me, they don't have that one magical element that brings the right elements forward to really engross me into the story the way those others do.

Eternal Padawan
09-10-2001, 09:58 AM
I wonder if comparing a movie to Star Wars doesn't almost have a negative impact on the film when it inevitably fails to live up to that comparison?

Stargate, for me, was a letdown. I remember seeing the trailer for that film and getting almost a Star Wars level of giddiness about it (much the same way, I suspect, that you got for the Episode 1 trailers, JT;) ) and then seeing the film and thinking it was rather lackluster.

Fifth Element on the other hand I hated after watching the first time (probably because of the Star Wars comparison). But after watching at home, I began to see the "tongue in cheekness" of it all. I find the whole thing a very funny and watchable film now. The scene where the guy tries to rob Dallas outside his apartment and after he takes the guys gun away, the dude starts dancing. The grin on Bruce Willis' face looks so genuine that I can't tell if it's scripted of Bruce is just laughing at the guy's performance. That scene sums up the movie for me..pureness of enjoymewnt for the genre and the medium.

And Star Trek First Contact was pretty good, too, so we agree on two out three movies, JT...;) :) :D :p :rolleyes:

Starfig873
09-10-2001, 11:29 AM
That little Episode II teaser thing isn't there...I tried several times to no avail.

El Chuxter
09-10-2001, 02:16 PM
We were waiting for it because we've all been dying--whether you admit it or not--to see Janeane Garofalo portray a Chewbacca knockoff! ;)

Eternal Padawan
09-10-2001, 04:01 PM
I wanted to see an animated Drew Barrymore in the shower...;)

Starfig873
09-10-2001, 05:54 PM
You think Stith (Janeane Garofalo ) was a Chewie knock-off? Hmm...I never thought of it that way. :p

:)

master jedi
09-10-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Starfig873
You think Stith (Janeane Garofalo ) was a Chewie knock-off?

Not sure about that one but I think Bill Pullman's character is a Han Solo rif off.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 06:39 AM
EP, you think I was "giddy" about the Ep 1 trailers? HA!

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 09:11 AM
JT, I thought you were excited about the film until you actually saw it. I remember watching the two trailers over and over, trying to glean information from their rapidly cutting images and getting "giddy" just thinking about watching the whole thing...Yiu hated the trailers too??

THE Slayer
09-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Like most trailers, EP1 just gave away to much information, you could tell how the whole thing was gonna pan out. I'm sure all the coverage on shows like Access hollywood didn't help either.
I liked some of the commercials though.