PDA

View Full Version : Jar Jar - the only Gungan in AOTC ?

2-1B
05-04-2002, 02:51 AM
I need some help here, the novelization clearly states that Binks is flanked by Gungan aides when he makes his Senate speech, but I just got the AOTC trading card pertaining to this scene and the picture on the back shows Jar Jar and ONLY Captain Typho in the Senate pod.

Please tell me there will be some Gungans visible in the background somewhere in the movie! I'm getting the impression that we won't be seeing any on Naboo :mad: .

Beast
05-04-2002, 03:00 AM
I think they dropped out Jar Jar's aides, sadly. But I'm sure we'll see a few milling around Theed when Ani and Padme go there. What with the newly forged relations between the Gungan and Naboo people since E1, it would be a little silly to see none. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-04-2002, 03:10 AM
That's exactly what I mean about Theed, there should definately be Gungans milling about. I'm not saying that the two species have to completely integrate, because they clearly have different natural habitats. But I do believe they should be interacting on different levels, like business matters for example.

Now that you mentioned Theed, I have another thought - why the heck would Queen Jamilla not keep a few Gungans on her court? It would make sense for diplomatic relations between the 2 groups to have the Gungans represented in the Queen's rule.

Back to the Senate scene, I guess I was hoping that some Gungan aides would at least accompany JJB to his pod and not move out in it, but I just don't think that's the case. :(

Battle Droid
05-04-2002, 06:37 AM
The whole Peace thing would be for nothing in Ep1 if there's no Gungan's seen on Naboo in Ep2.

AT-AT Man
05-04-2002, 09:58 PM
does anyone think a gungan could ever be a jedi, cause i made a custom, and thought that maybe that could be possible.

Beast
05-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Any race has the potential. Just look at the fact that we have Nikto and Twi'lek Jedis. Heck, in EU we have a Tusken Raider Jedi. The RPG game doesn't place restrictions on race for Jedi charecters, so I say go for it, he can always be a background Jedi for your arena battle diorama. Heck of a lot better then N'Sync Jedi. Why not post your pic here, so we can see it? :) I was going to make one myself, but he was going to be a Sith Lord. :evil:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
05-04-2002, 10:08 PM
There's a Wookie Jedi in the latest Holonet News update, he's standing with Qui Gon , Dooku, and Yoda.

Darth Nihilus
05-05-2002, 12:57 AM
Oh good lord - A jedi Gungan. "Oi muy, muy! Mesa dropped bombad lightsaber on mesa foot! It hurt tewwible, teewwwwiiible!"

Creger5150
05-05-2002, 04:42 AM
Don't forget the greatest Jedi of them all "Skippy the Jedi Droid" (R5-D4)

Pendo
05-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Gungan Jedi vs. Skippy the Jedi droid. Who would win?

I actually wouldn't mind there being a Gungan Jedi but when I read the story of Skippy in a Star Wars comic I thought it was so stupid and idiotic I felt like ripping it up. R5-D4 is in AOTC, I really hope Lucas didn't read the Skippy story for inspiration...

PENDO!

AT-AT Man
05-05-2002, 02:18 PM
opps i droppd him today, and his sculpy cape broke, i will try to make a new cape. and for the record, how do i post a pic.

2-1B
05-07-2002, 04:27 AM
I was doing some scanning tonight and thought I should put up the image I was talking about. Here you'll see Typho and Binks lookin' pretty lonely in the Naboo senate pod. :D

One thought I just had (more of a wish actually) was that maybe George would change his mind and insert a couple of Gungans in the scene. Jeez, there's room in there for them . . . :rolleyes:

2-1B
05-16-2002, 03:37 AM
GUNGANS ! I SAW GUNGANS ! :D :D :D

While Padme and Anakin are heading to see the Queen - look for a pair of Gungans wearing those veil type garments over their heads! Maybe there were more, but I only noticed 2 of these dignitaries. The search continues . . .

:happy:

Sith Worm
05-16-2002, 03:54 AM
Thank god he was the only one J/J Actually if you look close enough you do see a few on Naboo two of them were close up shooting the breeze they were wearing the type of clothing the boss nass aids were in TPM i think they are called rap tears or something like that...

2-1B
05-16-2002, 04:06 AM
I was so excited, because an early bird said he didn't see any in the film. When I caught them I wanted to stand up and squeal, but didn't because
a) I'm courteous and wouldn't be so rude,
b) I was probably the only person there who cared. :D

Wonderboy
05-16-2002, 09:26 AM
When they are walking into the Palace on Theed...if you look to the bottom right of the screen...there are 2 Gungans there talking.

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Wonderboy
When they are walking into the Palace on Theed...if you look to the bottom right of the screen...there are 2 Gungans there talking.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a shame there aren't a few more thoguh.

Darth Nihilus
05-16-2002, 01:53 PM
As much as I hated Jar Jar in the first movie I will say that I actually liked him AotC. I felt that GL should've portrayed him that way in TPM, a naive mean to do good character rather than a scene wrecker.

JediTricks
05-16-2002, 10:56 PM
I heard the EU on the Gungans was that they moved to the Naboo moon (which is the only way I can think of that Jar Jar would be a senator AS WELL AS Padme), but it was nice to see a couple of the more calm ones walking around.

2-1B
05-17-2002, 03:55 AM
Hmmm, I have not heard that one. I guess I just assumed his presence on Coruscant was meant to reflect the inclusion of the Gungans into "mainstream" Naboo.
I never really thought about whether or not he has voting powers . . . maybe he just assists Padme in the Senate pod? Almost like an advisor?

About those gungans in AOTC, tonight I caught their dialogue - it's lifted right out of Otoh Gunga when the Jedi arrive:
"oh mekoosa"
"hatta hatta"

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 02:31 PM
No, Jar Jar is a full senator, at least according to the recent Holonetnews.com EU. I don't remember where I heard that bit about the Gungan moon though, it could have even been on holonet news.

browndroid
05-18-2002, 02:35 PM
i hadnt noticed any gungans, guess i missed them, i liked the way they portrayed jar jar also. wasnt so....well idiotic

2-1B
05-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
No, Jar Jar is a full senator, at least according to the recent Holonetnews.com EU.

Thanks :) Watching Clones again, it felt like Padme was giving him a bit of a promotion. But I guess it's kinda murky to me since they never announce his postition before that.

Here's a thought I came up with recently, why the heck wouldn't Queen Jamillia have at least one Gungan liason on her court? Not that she "governs" the Gungans or anything, but when Padme makes an appearance I think they should be included.

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 06:08 PM
Well, if the Gungans have moved their entire society to a Naboo moon as I believe the EU claims, then that's really their own planet and they have no need to involve themselves with the government of Naboo that closely - at best, Theed would probably have Gungan ambassadors in a consulate office.

As for Jar Jar, he's only given certain senate powers that belong to Padme, holonet makes it clear that he was a full senator long before the events of Ep 2.

Rogue II
05-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Was it ever determined why Jar Jar was banned from the gungan city for being clumsy?

therock0603
05-26-2002, 07:50 PM
The action figure card says that he's a Gungan senator, but the Star Wars Insider labels him as a representative. Which is it?

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Rogue 2, IIRC, the EU has it that Jar Jar was often clumsily destructive but finally got banished for flooding Boss Nass' home during an important party while he was working there as a waiter. Personally, I cannot figure out what the hell he's saying in Ep 1 about that, even in the script:

JAR JAR:Mesa cause-ed mabee one or duey lettal bitty axadentes...yud-say boom da gasser, un crash Der Bosses heyblibber...den banished.

therock, I believe in the SW universe, they are synonymous. On the official site, it says "Jar Jar eventually became a Senior Representative for Naboo, serving alongside Padmé Amidala in the Galactic Senate" and that Jar Jar was a member of the Loyalist Committe - defining the committe as "a panel of Senators concerned with countering the increasing threat of a Separatist movement spreading throughout the galaxy."

(that also kills my theory about him being a rep of the Gungan moon, I guess)

therock0603
05-26-2002, 09:07 PM
Hmmm....I see, thanks for answerin.

2-1B
05-27-2002, 03:53 PM
"crashin' the boss' heyblibber":
I too do not know what it means, I always thought he meant he crashed some sort of vehicle that belonged to Nass. But whatever any of you decide to interpret a heyblibber to be . . . it's fine by me! :crazed:

JT, I don't think it totally kills your theory - Naboo could be interpreted to include its moons, no? :confused: But I don't understand why they would move the society to a moon . . . they seemed to have enough space on Naboo and since they held a big peace parade I assumed after TPM that there would be some integration. Not completely so, but enough to know that the two groups are getting along. Don't get me wrong, the two Gungans we see in AOTC do lend to that, but only peripherally. Not that I wanted to get off track by visiting the Gungans, but Boss Nass would have been a nice sight in the Queen's Palace.

Speaking of Nass, this is just my speculation: I remember way back when the rumors of Nass having the first line in AOTC ("War!") were making the rounds . . . maybe he was planned to be in the Senate but was replaced with Binks in preproduction?

Beast
05-27-2002, 04:46 PM
In the Star Wars Roleplaying Game from Wizards of the Coast, they went into a little more detail on exactly what Jar Jar has done to gotten himself kicked out of Ootha Gunga. :)

Finally when Jar Jar exploded an atmospheric processor during an important party held by Boss Nass, subsequently flooding the party and wrecking Nass's "heyblibber" (a type of Gungan Submarine) trying to get to safety, Boss Nass had no choice but to exile the unfortunate Jar Jar.

There is alot more, but I don't have a scanner at the moment, and it would take to long to type it all out. But in the past he has also flooded the city with sewage, and shut off the hydrostatic field bubbles to half the Otoh Gunga Zoo. :D

As for Boss Nass, I really would have liked to have seen him as part of the Queen's Court. Or atleast there for a meeting with the queen. It's not necissary of course, but it would have been a nice touch. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
05-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info Jar Jar.

Is Boss Nass still the Gungan leader?

JediTricks
05-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Caesar, I suppose you're right about my theory being salvagable, but I really took it as the Gungan moon being a separate "planet" from Naboo thus giving Jar Jar a reason to be a senator representing that planet in the system. I think you really fleshed out how it is well beyond my theory, so don't give me any credit. :D

As for why they'd move, maybe the Ep 1 comments about Gungans and Naboo not getting along because the Naboo didn't like the Gungans being a warrior race has something to do with it - even though they'sa friends, the Gungans want to keep a grand army and don't want to offend the Naboo. Total guess though.

JJB, while plausible, I don't take RPG books' data over SW.com data (or EU or video games ;)). However, that sounds reasonable, Jar Jar as a waiter could have been told to bring one of the bosses' subs around like a valet and crashed it into a wall.

Jargo
05-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Considering that most of the senate pods are full of teams of more than one senatorial representative of a particular race's planet, and considering that the Gungans and Nubians have a symbiotic relationship and existence, it's fair to say that the very same symbiotic relationship is the reasoning behind the joint representation in the senate from Naboo the planet. One senator from each half of the populace. it was possibly one of Amidalas terms for continuing on as sovereign elect for the people of Naboo. She possibly saw the future in having both races represented in the senate to show a consolidated and united front. To further the name of peace in the name of her people. A smart and astute move if true.

I was under the impression from one or the other book published at the time of TPM's release, that the heyblibber was a form of Bongo submarine but an executive sized one. The sub that Nass lends Qui-Gon is just a small one by Gungan standards going on the designs in various books.

The reason for JJB's banishment is explored in Dark Horse's Star Wars Tales #3. The story being 'The death of Captain Tarpals' :)

2-1B
11-11-2002, 01:31 AM
Well, I watched the Fullscreen version of AOTC last night and from that point of view Jar Jar IS the only Gungan in Episode II. :(

The pair on Naboo are hacked out of the frame.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Fullscreen SUCKS!!!
Oh look, here comes JarJarBinks to chew you out for not getting widescreen . . . :D
BTW, how did you see it last night?

2-1B
11-11-2002, 10:32 AM
It was a pre-street rental from a video store, all they had ready so far was Fullscreen. ;)