PDA

View Full Version : Will Padme die in Ep3?

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 06:06 PM
Do you think GL will kill off Padme in Ep3 or will she live on in another medium? I've heard that her adventures after Ep3 will be chronicled in a series of novels; but am not sure if I like this idea. Sounds like a blatant attempt to cash in on the character to me.

2-1B
09-08-2001, 07:01 PM
Anakin's fall will be quite tragic, and in one way I feel that killing Padme on screen would be "piling on". From a different perspective, it would be even more tragic if she lives for some time with the knowledge of his fate.

So no matter how I look at, I must say that I hope she does not die.

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 07:10 PM
Yeah, just the knowledge that she's alive and the Jedi are 'hiding her from him' could help feed Vader's hatred.

2-1B
09-08-2001, 07:28 PM
Here's another perspective:

TPM highlights Qui-Gon's death, AotC allegedly features Shmi's death, and with a whole bunch of other people either dying or about to die in Episode III, why not let Anakin's "death" be the showcase?

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 08:53 PM
Or the death of the Jedi order. Or maybe the death of OB1 and Anakin's friendship (which hopefully will be established in Ep2).

I guess with so much destruction at least implied in Ep3, then maybe Padme getting killed would be too much.

Come to think of it, since we all know that Anakin will eventually turn, then that sort of puts Padme in the spotlight as the main hero for the prequels.

GNT
09-08-2001, 11:47 PM
She'll probably die during or after giving birth to Luke and Leia :)

JediTricks
09-09-2001, 11:40 AM
Because of Leia's comments about her "real mother" in ROTJ, I think Padme' will live.

GNT
09-10-2001, 03:50 AM
She has to die since there is no mention of her in the later movies :)

bigbarada
09-10-2001, 02:41 PM
I actually had a theory that Padme' changed her name to Mon Mothma and led the Rebels to victory at the Battle of Endor. 'Hiding in plain site' as the saying goes.

The fact that we didn't see a young Mon Mothma in Ep1 kind of reinforced this idea. Or course this would leave a HUGE plot-hole, since Luke and Leia would never have been reunited with their mom.

Another interesting tidbit:

Darth=Dark; Vader=Vater: German for "father"

Mon=mom; Moth=mother; ma=ma (as in 'ma and pa')

Or am I reading too much into things?

Eternal Padawan
09-10-2001, 05:11 PM
Hey, you're the ambassador.

I always thought Jar Jar was Mon Mothma, but thats my pet theory...

GNT
09-11-2001, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Or am I reading too much into things?

your reading to much into things like that :D

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 05:52 AM
That's an interesting idea Barada, but I think it kills the impact of Luke and Leia's discussion about their "real mother" later in the film, plus it's yet ANOTHER name change for this character, I think one is enough. ;)

evenflow
09-13-2001, 09:17 AM
I don't think we will see her death. I think that we will see her go into hiding and thats about it.

Mike Troxell
09-13-2001, 05:15 PM
I hope that she dies in Episode III. Not that I wish any particular harm upon the character (or the actress...mmmmmmm), but I feel the saga would work much better if she did pass on (by the hand of Darth Anakin no less).

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 02:00 AM
I don't think they will actually show her dying onscreen, but I think they will imply that she is sick or dying so that it ties into the ROJ line "She died when I was very young." They might have Mace and Yoda commenting on how difficult the birth was and that "...she might not recover from it..." so people are left with the notion that things don't turn out well for her (which are later justified in the sixth film) They wouldn't leave it open like that for two whole episodes of the the saga. You last see her in Episode III and shes fine and healthy, then no mention of her in IV or V then casually telling the audience "Oh yeah...she died..."

Talk about plot hole...

GNT
09-14-2001, 04:25 AM
i think she'll die at the hands of Darth Vader...... If Vader and Obi fight Obi might hit her trying to save Vader,could be a huge twist to the saga!!!!

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 12:40 PM
That's a good point GNT. I always pictured Obi Wan and Vader's final duel as being just the two of them, but to have Padme there watching would heighten the drama of it all. If she was wounded in the battle, it would explain why Vader never looked for her afterwords. he assumed either He or Obi Wan had killed her. Maybe that's why he refuses Obi Wans hand and allows himself to fall into the Molten Pit....cool theory.

bigbarada
09-14-2001, 10:08 PM
That would create an interesting twist to the storyline. But I wonder if GL would go so far as to shoot new footage to explain what happens to Padme in ANH and/or ESB.

GNT
09-15-2001, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
That would create an interesting twist to the storyline. But I wonder if GL would go so far as to shoot new footage to explain what happens to Padme in ANH and/or ESB.

I don't think George will shoot any parts for ANH or ESB, She could be dead before ANH so there would be no need for her, it would be cool to have some new footage in the classic movies but theres already enough crap in them as it is!

JEDIpartner
09-17-2001, 03:59 PM
I think that any additional elements added to the OT would further complicate things. I think that she will either die in one of the last battles of the clone wars OR she will stay on as a caretaker for Leia once Leia has been brought to the Organas. Thus, Padme's fate would be to die when Alderaan is destroyed in ANH.

Rollo Tomassi
09-17-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I think that she will either die in one of the last battles of the clone wars OR she will stay on as a caretaker for Leia once Leia has been brought to the Organas. Thus, Padme's fate would be to die when Alderaan is destroyed in ANH.

Then she wouldn't have really died when Leia "Was very young..."

GNT
09-18-2001, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Then she wouldn't have really died when Leia "Was very young..."

How does leia know she died, did she witness it all?

JEDIpartner
09-18-2001, 03:44 PM
that's my point... I think they could have told Leia that Padme died- but really hadn't and that was so that they could further protect BOTH of them! Ah... the fun little twists of the saga. It is so much fun to speculate on these things!!!

So who knows... all of these ideas are interesting and fun!!

GNT
09-19-2001, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
that's my point... I think they could have told Leia that Padme died- but really hadn't and that was so that they could further protect BOTH of them! Ah... the fun little twists of the saga. It is so much fun to speculate on these things!!!

So who knows... all of these ideas are interesting and fun!!

Maybe she was being hunted or something and they just said that she died so that people looking for her would give up looking for her,so leia was told she died when she was young(it could have been a handmaiden that died?) and padme lives on?

Obi-Don
10-05-2001, 03:23 AM
I think she will die some time bewteen EpIII and ANH.I get this from what Leia said about not knowing to much about her mother.But on the other hand Leia never said anything about her mother dying.So who knows,maybe she is alive somewhere and that is one factor to Vader's hate.

Co Jo-Da
10-17-2001, 12:49 AM
I like the early theory that Pademe was at the dual between Obi-Wan and Vader (Episode III). I was very interested that someone thought she could be injured or killed by accident and this could very well happen.

I am looking forward to see how she handles all the events of Episode II. The assassination attempts on her life, watching Anakin deal with the death of this mother, getting captured and thrown in prison plus whatever else. This will setup her death in or shortly after Episode III.

hamsterboy
10-21-2001, 01:35 AM
She has to die in-between Ep.III and ANH. Leia in ROTJ says she remebers her mother as always being sad. Unless she means an adoptive mother we don't know about. But I doubt that.

Eternal Padawan
10-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by hamsterboy
She has to die in-between Ep.III and ANH. Leia in ROTJ says she remebers her mother as always being sad. Unless she means an adoptive mother we don't know about. But I doubt that.

But Luke specifically asks about "her real mother..."

heyyyyyy....something just struck me. how did Luke know she was adopted? When did that come up in the other films? Hmmmm....I think Leia was being groomed to save the galaxy, not Luke. Follow me on this, Leia was taken to Alderaan and trained in the arts of diplomacy. Luke was shuffled out of the way to learn...moisture farming? Presumably, since Luke had Obi Wan keeping an eye on him, Leia had a Jedi watching over her (Mace?) so eventually she would have been trained in the Jedi arts. So if things had gone according to schedule, Leia would have stopped by Tatooine and picked up Obi Wan and gone to Yavin with the plans. Luke would still be farming..uh...moisture. And why would Bail Organa be spouting off about Obi Wan being on Tatooine in the fisrt place? loose lips sink ships. The old hermit was in HIDING you dill pepper!! keep your damn mouth shut. Anyway, I'm rambling now....Padme dies soon after E3... No "Further Adventures of..." for her.

Wooooof
10-21-2001, 03:46 PM
Actually that makes a lot of sense Eternal Padawan. Maybe Luke was to be used as bait for Palpatine and Vader, hence keeping the name Skywalker. But Leia was the one Yoda was secretly grooming. (If Yoda knew he was to train Luke all along, why refuse to train him in ESB?) Although I think maybe Obi-Wan wasn't in on the plot. Yoda probably thought having the exact same Jedi who trained Anakin also train the last hope to reverse the damage caused by Anakin, would not be the best of ideas. So, Obi-Wan was duped into believing that Luke was the last hope.

Ben: "That boy is our last hope."
Yoda: "No, there is another."

But I don't think Padme will die in Episode 3. As far as the audience will know she buys it on Alderaan in Episode 4, until Leia tells of her real fate in 6.

JediTricks
10-22-2001, 02:43 AM
I figure Leia told Luke about being adopted at some point in the 3 years between ANH and ESB.

Co Jo-Da
10-22-2001, 12:11 PM
Eternal Padawan has a good theory but why was Liea so old, Jedi's are trained from almost birth. Luke was suppost to trained by Obi-Wan the whole time but Uncle Owen probably forbid it, we'll have to find out in Episode III as to why.

Eternal Padawan
10-22-2001, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I figure Leia told Luke about being adopted at some point in the 3 years between ANH and ESB.

How and why did Leia know? Did bail tell her? Wouldn't that open up lots of prickly questions like "Who was my real father?" and things like that? Whoever hid these kids to begin with didn't do a very good job coordinating all the cover up stories...Luke never ever hears about his mom, but hears all sorts of BS about his father, "the spice freighter navigator." Luke knows Owen and Beru are his aunt and uncle/caretakers, but Leia thinks Bail is her real father (until he "tells" her). Luke keeps the name Skywalker and lives on his father's home planet with his father's CLOSEST LIVING RELATIVES...Leia gets to live with one of the Emperor's main moral opponents in the senate. So you don't think the Empire had this guy under strict surveillance?
"Where'd Organa get a four year old daughter all of the sudden?"
"I dunno...but HEY Vader...Isn't that your ex-wife?!?!?"
"The hell??"

In conclusion, these were probably the two dopiest places to hide the kids from their father.

Co Jo-Da
10-23-2001, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

In conclusion, these were probably the two dopiest places to hide the kids from their father.

Who could argue that...

JediTricks
10-23-2001, 05:53 AM
EP, since this is the spoiler section, one little point... Bail Organa is being played by Jimmy Smits, I think Leia's gonna notice she doesn't look like daddy pretty quickly.

Eternal Padawan
10-23-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
EP, since this is the spoiler section, one little point... Bail Organa is being played by Jimmy Smits, I think Leia's gonna notice she doesn't look like daddy pretty quickly.

Ahhhhh...Touche.;) :D

Wolfwood319
11-05-2001, 04:17 AM
I don't think she'll die in E3 because Leia says. "... She died when I was very young." And the earliest accounts of memory are usually around the age of 3. So she'll live.

But now here is something I've been tackling for quite a while now...

"What pushes Anakin to the Dark side fully?''

We know presumably that Shmi dies in AOTC, so he'll be upset about that, but then he gets married at the end too, so he'll be happier I'd imagine. Then what actually pushes him over to the dark side. Im sure Palpatine did some "evil grooming'' of sorts, but there must have been another tragic event that left Anakin truly alone, angry, vengeful, and spiteful enough to go to the Dark Side fully and give up on Padme and his friends, and kill off the Jedi.

I have my own theories, but I'm curious as to what other people think of this predicament.

Eternal Padawan
11-05-2001, 10:33 AM
A loooooong time ago, before Episode I came out, Uncle George was talking about the new trilogy and how it had a darker tone, he made references to Shakespeare's Othello several times. So I think, Anakin will perceive a "relationship" between Obi Wan and Padme, which will be "confirmed" by his "only true friend" Palpatine. His utter jealousy will cloud his thinking and lead to a confrontation, say, near a pit of molten lava.

Jedi Clint
11-05-2001, 02:10 PM
I don't think he is fully in the service of Sidious until he is beaten at the hands of his friend and former master Kenobi. Mutilated and filled with hate he is rebuilt mentally, physically, and spiritually into Vader.

Tycho
11-06-2001, 06:34 PM
It would make sense for Padme to die between E3 and ANH, as everything would make sense. It would make a b*tch out of her in my opinion, if she did not come forward and join her children, if she was still alive, once Luke was a intergalactic celebrity Jedi in the Rebellion. How could he be in any more danger, with Darth Vader already hunting him? Padme could've supported her son by then.

Unless, and here's a strange thought, she didn't want to betray Vader either (he was her husband, "until death do you part") and she thought that with Luke's training, he was the only one capable of helping redeem Anakin. (not to mention any distrust or anger Vader might begrudge his ex for any 'affair' plot, etc.)

If there is an affair (which I have my doubts) could it not be Bail Organa? He raises Padme's daughter. If Obi-Wan was his general, could he not have lied to defend Organa, as the latter would have no defense against a jealous Anakin.

And by the way, Jedi are not supposed to marry. I doubt they are allowed to, especially when still training, so Anakin's wedding to Padme is done in secret on Naboo, against the orders of the Jedi. He definitely feels they are trying to take love away from him.

They didn't want him.
They didn't let him rescue his mother.
They didn't let him find love again (with permission anyway)
And if he perceives Obi-Wan betrayed him...

Co Jo-Da
11-08-2001, 12:07 AM
I diffenately believe that Pademe will die before the end of Episode III, Vader (Anakin will have turned into him before his) will hear this news at the very end, making it very dramatic, sad and most of all the dark ending that the film is suppost to have (even though Luke and Liea have just been born).

Wolfwood319
11-12-2001, 05:46 PM
But then how could Leia remember her mother if she died in E3, and I think she has the twins at the very end of E3 anyway.

Plus, Vader never knew about the kids until after ANH.

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Does Vader knows Padme's pregnant?

I used to think he didn't know, that she kept it a secret from him. But now that I think about it, she's running around nine months along (or however long it is in the SW galaxy. Gestation might only be a month...) it's going to be pretty obvious to the Dark Lord.

So the only way he wouldn't spend the rest of his life looking for her and the child(ren) was if he thought she was dead.

As far as her dying onscreen. I don't think so. Leia remembered her mother, while Luke did not. If Padme had died immediately after giving birth( that is, died during the movie) then both infants would have equal "memories" of her...that is, none at all. Children can't form cohesive memories until they are around 3-4 years old. So in order for Leia to "remember" her mother, however vaguely, Padme would need to live a few years after the events of Episode III. I think by the end of the film

A difficult birth
The heartbreak of losing Anakin to the dark side
Possibly an injury sustained during the film (maybe during the battle between Ben and Ani)

will be so hard on her physically and emotionally, that it is implied, possibly through dialogue from Bail or Yoda, that she "is not long for this world..."

It is just as tragic knowing she will die, as it is seeing her die...

Bosskman
05-30-2002, 12:01 PM
Here's a theory of mine:

What if Yoda tells Padme, before she leaves for Alderaan with Leia, that it would be too dangerous for her to remain with Leia for very long. Padme agrees with him and says's she'll go into hiding after a while until the Emperor is destroyed. Organa later tells Leia that her mother died. That's the last we see of her..............

....until ROTJ, when Anakin kills thge emperor, we see a scene of old Padme, pehaps with a very old Jar Jar, somehow knowing that it's safe, like Anakin told her through the force or something. I really don't think there's any other way of putting her into the film. Having her be Mon Mothma would make absolutely NO SENSE, as Mothma and Leia are in the same room and undoubtedly know each other very well. Leia remembers "images and feeling" from Padme, so I would think being around Mothma would have stirred those in her. She somehow always knew that Luke was her brother, why not Mothma her mother? Doesn't make sense. Also, Mothma seems to want Vader dead with the Emperor. Although she doesn't say this outright, it's clearly implied. I'm pretty sure that Padme knows that Vader is, in fact Anakin. That's why she's been sad for so long. She still loves him despite the horror of what he has become. We see this clearly in AOTC, she's afraid of him even then, but she loves him anyway. There's no way she'd want Vader destroyed. Like Luke, I think she believes he'll turn back to the good side. She can't be Mothma. There's no way. Padme would not want Vader destroyed. She couln'd speak so coldly about destroying the DSII if she thought there was even a remote chance that Vader was on it. Also, I'm sure Vader still loves Padme. There is still good deep within him. As Luke says "The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully." This love is overshadowed, like in AOTC, by his possessiveness for her, so if she were Mothma, Vader would know it. He would not rest unntil he had her. I think that Vader think's Padme is dead, and Yoda, knowing this, convinces an extremely reluctant Padme to play along. I'm sure in III, she'll try to turn him good again, but Yoda will convince her that it cannot be done. She KNOWS otherwise, and that's why she's sad. She's not the one who can help him, even though she wants desperately to. Also she can't be with her children as they would be in danger even moreso if they were all together.

I think, therefore, that Padme goes into hiding and re-emerges on some distant planet in a scene at the end of ROTJ. There will probably be a short exchange of words between her and JarJar or whoever, saying now she'sll find her children, showing us that the reunion will happen very soon, although there's no way we'll see it on screen. It will be implied that it will happen soon.

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't mind a flashback scene of some kind with Padme'.But I personally don't like the idea that she's still alive.
I can't say I know exactly how she dies,but I think it's clear in the OT that she is indeed dead.
On a final note I wouldn't mind seeing her in spirit with Anakin at the end of Rotj.And have both Luke and leia see them.With Hayden replacing Sabastian Shaw and I hate to say this but Ewan replacing Alec.
Fire away.I know I'll take some heat over that last one;)

Bosskman
05-30-2002, 01:02 PM
I agree with you Dryanta, from a certain point of view. Padme is dead in the OT. Leia was told she was dead, and as far as her and Luke are concerned, she is. Here's my rational though:

In EIII, we see Padme and Jar Jar leave Dagobah, Yoda telling them to go into hiding after they give Leia to Bail Organa, for Padme's own good, but moreso for Leia's (Luke remains on Dagobah, waiting for Ben to come get him, he doesn't know about Leia). Yoda tells her to make sure everyone except for Bail thinks she dies before she takes off. That's the last we see of her. There is no mention of her throughout the OT, but everyone assumes, watching all 6 movies in order, that she's hiding away somewhere. At the end of ROTJ we see an old lady (well if you consider 60 something old) and an old Gungan (Jar Jar is only there to ENSURE us that the old lady is indeed Padme, played by a heavily age enhanced Portman) and somehow we're shown that they now know it's safe to come out of hiding. Padme will have to look very weary but now happy, knowing that, even though he has died, Anakin is now good and she's free to be reunited with her children. They could play the AOTC love theme for emphasis or something. I'm sure she'll know through the Force about Anakin's redemtion, like she knew about the Hanger in AOTC. As there is no interaction between her and any of the OT characters, this does not take away from the story at all, but rather adds to it. Not only do Luke and Leia now know that their father has redeemed himself, but we are shown that they will soon know that their mother is alive. We don't see it, but it's implied. I really don't think we'll see any flashbacks, it's just so inconsistant with the way Lucas has told his story.

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 01:18 PM
Hey Booskman.Sorry I'm sitting here in half a coma and didn't even realize it was you!!LOL
I don't disagree with your idea.And I don't disagree with mine either.:)

A flashback is definately way out of form,no doubt.never has been one before.But that's the problem as I see it ,with trying to speculate.The SEs and Ep1 have shown me that nothing is set in stone.The archival editions will again alter the OT.And Ep1 for all I know.At this point I really wonder how Gl is going to tie up all the loose threads that already existed in the OT.Then TPM adds a lot more.I love AOTC but it doesn't spend more than a few seconds(and that's questionable)to address any of Them.It even adds a few more!!
I am afraid that EP3 will be just as plot line over loaded as AOTC was action over loaded.Any all loose strings left will have to be tied up in Ep 1 and the OT.Which IMO means major subtractions and additions.Unless we get an incredible confusing 3 hour epic of dialog and story line in Ep 3.
I love star wars even the SEs and Ep1.But Even I HAVE to admit that GL has made a mess in the plot line that I'm afraid will leave us sadly lacking alot of the answers we seek.

icatch9
05-30-2002, 01:42 PM
Organized chaos that is what the story is. The next installment may clear up all questions fluently. Who knows?

I think the end of episode III will show what could be Padme’s death, but we won’t exactly see a body. If you catch my meaning. A sort of cliff hanger where she should and could be dead, but we don’t know for sure.

If Padme’ is still alive (and I think she may be) then my money is her showing up at Vader/Anakins funeral. She would land in a personal shuttle somewhere on Endor. We’d see her and perhaps Jar Jar slowly walk up to the Vader bon firer and say something like. “The nightmare is finally over Jar Jar. We will now know peace.” They would of course be there long after Luke has gone to the Ewok party. I imagine the fire would be very calm at that point, unlike when Luke starts it and it’s a huge blaze.

Oh Yea, Bosskman. You sort of beat that "she's not Mon Motha" thing into the ground. To me that was never an option. It's like saying Jar Jar is really Nien Numb. :) ;)

Jedi Clint
05-30-2002, 02:17 PM
I agree EP. I do think it matters how long it has been since Anakin last saw Padme in regards to whether or not he knew she was pregnant.

2-1B
05-30-2002, 02:17 PM
Jar Jar is already in ESB, he pulls R2 into the swamp and throws him back out.

Chaddymac
05-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Unless Leia is already a toddler by the time Episode III rolls around, Padme has to survive the film. She says in Jedi that she remembers her mother, but that she died when she [Leia] was very young.

If there are shots added to the films using the prequel actors, I don't know how.

Tycho
05-31-2002, 07:38 PM
I stumbled upon 1 idea I actually like, because I'm almost solidly opposed to Padme being in the classic trilogy.

The idea is that Luke has a holgram of his mother.

"I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her."

This does not mean he doesn't have a 'photo.'

Does your family have pictures of your great-grandparents, or great-great grandparents (in case you knew your great grandparents like I did)?

OK, so Luke could have a picture of his mother, and after his father had finally died, AFTER the funeral pyre scene, Luke takes this out as he walks away from everyone at the Ewok party. BEFORE he sees the Jedi spirits, you can see "anyone (extra actor) with a black glove on their right hand" [in a shot of just the hand] holding a little holo-device like Qui-Gon had to show Watto the starship, but the holo is of Padme Amidala - mother of Luke Skywalker.

Then in his hour of deepest lonliness and loss, the Jedi Spirits appear to comfort him and Leia takes him back into the circle of his living friends.

This touches me as most sentimentally sweet.

(and yes, that would mean Padme died long before Episode 6)