PDA

View Full Version : How much money will AOTC make.

Jango_in_Germany
05-04-2002, 03:27 PM
just read that boxofficemojo.com estimates that spiderman grossed a little over 41 million on opening day, smacking harry potter's 32 mil debut.

will aotc beat it?

Lord Tenebrous
05-04-2002, 04:25 PM
Since I don't get any cut of it, I don't really care about the gross.

bigbarada
05-04-2002, 06:41 PM
The hype surrounding Ep2 and the apprehension some have because of Ep1 ( :rolleyes: ) might put a chink in the opening day/weekend sales. People might be afraid the theaters will be too crowded the first few days and wait. Although I think it will get good word of mouth which will hopefully bring people to see it later on. Overall, I think it will make about as much as ESB did.

Pendo
05-05-2002, 01:26 PM
I don't know how much it will make, but I know it will be ALOT! I don't think it will make more than TPM did, because TPM was the first new Star Wars film in 16 years (not counting the Special Edition). And after it being a big dissapointment many people might not bother to go and see AOTC thinking it will be another dissapointment

I don't care if it makes alot of money or not, really all I care about is that it is good, has the same feel that the original Star Wars films had, and it makes me happy :).

PENDO!

sith_killer_99
05-05-2002, 03:52 PM
AOTC will beat TPM @ the box office!

I have foreseen it.

It is unavoidable.

:greedy:

chewie
05-05-2002, 08:17 PM
I gotta be honest. TPM knocked the wind outta my sails for the prequel trilogy as well. And I'm a big SW fan (I think). The new movie definitely looks better than the 1st, but I'm not so sure its going to have the rabid fan multiple viewings.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 01:29 AM
I don't think Ep 2 is gonna beat Spider-man's $114 mil, but I bet it'll be at least $65 mil.

Co Jo-Da
05-06-2002, 01:53 AM
With SpiderMan's outstanding opening weekend of 114 Million dollars, 41.3 Million on it's first day. Attack of the Clones won't beat that opening day or weekend total but I think it will outrun SpiderMan at the Box Office grossing more than $500 Million Dollars, if not more...

dirtybones
05-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Spiderman opened this weekend at a box office shattering $114 million. Does anyone care if our next beloved StarWars movie will break this new record opening weekend film? Personaly I will see the movie at least three times when it opens, not in trying to help the record, but you all know that we miss so much in the first sitting that you have to see it over so many times just to see everything. Spiderman was good, but StarWars will make more of a mark on the fans then on the record books.:evil:

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 10:15 AM
I think it will beat it.I too am seeing Starwars 3 times.Once on May 16th and twice that weekend.I'm not going 3 times to try to break this record..I just want to see the movie more than once and then bug my family by acting out the scenes:crazed: :crazed:

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I don't think Ep 2 is gonna beat Spider-man's $114 mil, but I bet it'll be at least $65 mil.

That's pretty much my thinking. There are just WAY too many casual moviegoers who were turned off by TPM (like my mother, and several others I know) and won't return for this one.

I can't remember what Ep1's opening weekend gross was, but I don't think AOTC will touch that either.

Once word of mouth gets out that AOTC is a pretty good movie, I think the sales will pick up. But really, for a lot of non-StarWars-fan movie goers, ,they probably still won't bother with it after seeing TPM. They'll wait for the video or DVD.

Darth Ovori
05-06-2002, 12:02 PM
48 million on first day...
140 million first weekend...

And it will overtake Titanic!!!

My prediction...

PS, I thought there was nothing special about Spiderman, and still don't understand the hype...:(

Wolfwood319
05-06-2002, 12:35 PM
I think that overall, this year, Spider-Man will be numero uno. Casual movie goers will probably not see AOTC because of the TPM fiasco. And I don't think there will be as many repeat viewings of the movie either.

Everyone is raving about Spider-Man, and rightfully so. I think that Spider-Man was something new, and people like it. Everyone knows who Spider-Man is, and with all the steam Spider-Man has now, it'll still rake in the big bucks. Hell, even my grandparents want to go see it.

And I don't think AOTC will make anywhere near $114 mil in its opening weekend, $40 - $60 million would be my guess.

Wolfwood319
05-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Not a chance in hell. There is no way it can beat it. Everyone was looking forward to Spider-Man, and it really made an impact on the casual movie going audience. Everyone knows who Spider-Man is, and was interested in seeing the movie. Hell, even my grandparents are going to go see it.

TPM turned off most casual movie going audiences, and only the die hard fans will see it more than once. Most will either see it once in theaters, or just wait for the movie on DVD to rent it.

You can't make $114 million in the opening weekend from fans alone, you need everyone. And that's just what Spider-Man did. AOTC just doesn't have that drawing power.

Darth Ovori
05-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Maybe it's because I see Spiderman like a kids movie... it just was so citch... Well at least I know I'm not only one, went to watch it with 35 of my co-workers... and only one liked it...

SithDroid
05-06-2002, 04:47 PM
I agree Wolfwood. Star Wars won't beat it, but it might come close. The problem here is that SW opens on May 16th which is a Thursday, so anything the film makes that day is not considered part of the weekend box office total. Since most of the fans will be going the first day, then that is why it won't beat Spider-man. Plus as Woolfwood said, Spider-man appealed to the casual audience member, whereas SW will only really appeal to the fans.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-06-2002, 05:27 PM
I could care less about the record (these days, movie gross records last no more than a couple years, with ticket prices rising and all), but I do think it will.

HOWEVER.

I seem to recall they "adjusted" TPM's totals because it included Wednesday and Thursday, not just Fri-Sun. There are fans out there that will try to get their friends to see it more just to break the record. But let's see what Spider-Man does overall, not just the opening weekend.

My predictions for highest grossing films of 2002, in order:
1) AOTC
2) Matrix 2 (it is due this year, right?)
3) LOTR: Two Towers
4) Spider-Man
5) Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets

But I don't care. I'm gonna see it at least once (they've got my money already! :rolleyes: ) that weekend, and so are A LOT of others!

El Chuxter
05-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Wasn't Matrix 2 delayed to 2003 due to Aayliah's death?

And I think Austin Powers in Goldmember has a chance of getting in that top 5. :D

sith_killer_99
05-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Aayliah was in "Queen of the Damned" which was supposed to be out last year. It was released this year. I don't know about "Matrix 2".

As for Spiderman? Who knows. I didn't go see it this weekend. I'll probably see it when it hits video or something. I'm really not that interested in seeing it. Looks too CGI for me. Even more so than TPM!

I do predict that EPII will out do TPM at the boxoffice OVERALL. It may have a slower weekend due to TPM's big disappoibntment, but it will still be huge!

BTW, does ANYONE think Titanic will be de-throwned in the near future?:crazed:

JediDan
05-06-2002, 07:09 PM
I think AOTC is gonna do it IF they count Thursday and Friday as the weekend. But then Saturdau and Sunday is gonna be packed also with parents taking their kids and us fans seeing it again. YEs, I think AOTC will beat it.

I still cannot believe Titantic is STILL #1 film of all time. Yuck!!!! What did people see in that movie that made them want to see it again and again and again????

DarthBrandon
05-06-2002, 09:56 PM
I've seen Spidey and I've also seen the T.V. spots and Trailers
for Episode 2. Star wars will kick it's ***.

Do not under estimate the powers of the S.W. Fans it's like an
addiction they will come back again and again to find out what
happens next.

Forget TPM it was the basis of the begining of the storyline where
key players and events are introduced. Look for Episode 2 to have
Romance, Action, Deception, and a much darker storyline than TPM

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 11:21 PM
I don't think any movie will beat that take for quite a while - not even Ep 2. I think Ep 2 will do a good take, but so far, the SW sequels have never taken as much as the first movie in their opening weeks (up until now, wasn't every SW film opened on the Wednesday before Memorial Day?).

SithDroid
05-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
BTW, does ANYONE think Titanic will be de-throwned in the near future?:crazed:

I don't think so. The sad thing about Titianic is that it really does not deserve to be the top selling movie of all time. Here's why.

1) I worked in a viedo store when it was released and I would get many customers that would come in and say that they would buy a ticket to Titanic and then go see another movie. They said they were doing this because they wanted it to be the highest grossing movie of all time. Kind of stupid if you ask me, plus that cuts out other movies from their share of the money that was due to them.

2) Titanic ran in the theatres for 9-10 MONTHS! If Titanic would have left the box office at any decent time like any other movie then it would have made a lot less. It was in the theatres up until the day it was released on video. Sickening if you ask me.

3)IMO the story sucked and so did Leo. Two hours of a cr*ppy love story before we even get to the boat sinking. Horrible. I'm proud to say I NEVER saw Titanic in the theatre.

Co Jo-Da
05-07-2002, 01:21 AM
I just saw SpiderMan and really enjoyed it but I porbably won't see it at the theater again (I'll definately add it to my DVD collection). As for Star Wars, I have go my tickets for Midnight Madness and tickets for a later day and I'll probably go see it two or three more times.

Star Wars probably won't beat SpiderMan's opening record and I don't care if it does, Star Wars will surely make more money in the long run...

Rogue Leader
05-07-2002, 02:20 AM
The reason that Titanic was in theatres for 9-10 months was because of the demand of the public. They would not have kept it in theatres that long had the public grown tired of seeing it more quickly. I did not see Titanic, but my parents went to see it a good 6 months after it came out and the theatre was still a sell out. They had to sit down in front because all of the other seats were taken.

I do not think that AOTC will beat Titanic's record because we are losing many younger females as viewers. The appeal of Titanic to the young female crowd was Leo and this will hurt AOTC. But maybe Hayden can attract some of these girls in, too.

As for the Matrix 2, this is now due out in May 2003, followed by the Matrix 3 later in the year.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 02:40 AM
I'm usually pretty good at this...I think it'll fall short of Spider-Man's take at 65-75 million (mind you, this will be for it's FOUR DAY opening weekend compared to Spidey's THREE DAY), but when all is said and done I think both film's final worldwide grosses will be pretty close.

Wolfwood319
05-07-2002, 02:47 AM
I think a lot of you are forgetting that it takes more than hardcore fans of a movie franchise to make it big at the box office. The reason that movies like Spider-Man break records is because of its mass appeal. Everyone has heard of Spider-Man, and it really didn't open up against anything, and so most movie goers went and saw it. Star Wars doesn't have that kind of appeal right now. Sure, all the hardcore fans can't wait, but the general public aren't all that excited.

People from all walks of life saw Spider-Man last weekend. And with all the buzz for it now, I think it will still have major drawing power for a while, even after AOTC opens.

And Bel Cam was right about how these "records" don't stay around for long. Ticket prices are raising each year, so naturally more revenue is coming in.

The thing with Titantic was that at the time it came out, there was really nothing else in the theaters for a good 2 months after it came out. The first movie that took #1 for the week after Titantic opened was "Lost in Space." And Lost in Space came out almost 2 months after Titantic opened. It was really wasn't getting any competition. Plus a lot of word of mouth was spread, and a lot of people saw it some time after it opened. Sci-Fi movies like Spidey and AOTC don't appeal to a lot of people.

sith_killer_99
05-07-2002, 02:52 AM
JediDan "What did people see in that movie that made them want to see it again and again and again????"

Simple, A CHANCE TO GET L@ID!!! I had a buddy at the time, he took 6 different girls to see Titanic and scored with all 6! He said it was the best streak he ever had!!! So I guess you go with a winner.

I for one have NEVER seen "Titanic" and I refuse to watch it on principle.

#1 I HATE Leonardo DiCaprio, he's an overrated actor, and a cry baby. Boohoo, I didn't get nominated for an academy award.:cry: He didn't deserve it!:p

#2 There is NO way that it deserved the success it enjoyed. So I simply refuse to contribute to it!

#3 It was a bad idea for a movie and had a huge budget that it did not deserve, why should I support such a clear waste of money.:greedy:

#4 I am happily married and not out trying to score with a half a dozen chicks.:kiss:

Beast
05-07-2002, 02:55 AM
And remember, when it all comes down to box office revenue, "Gone With The Wind" is still actualy the biggest money making movie of all time, after you factor in inflation. Anything can take the top spot, if ticket prices keep going up every year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
05-07-2002, 03:18 AM
I REALLY want to find out the ACTUAL number of ticket sales.

To me those are the REAL numbers. If ANH sold 1,000,000 tickets @ $4.00 and Titanic sold 1,000,000 tickets @ $7.50 then it only makes sense that Titanic grossed more money.

But let's look at it logicly. ANH cost WAY less money to make. GL was on a VERY tight budget. ANH, ESB and ROTJ are all 3 STILL in the top 10 grossing films of all time.

So, it stands to reason that a film made 25 years ago (still in the top 10) PROBABLY sold more tickets than a movie in the number 1 slot a couple of years ago. I could be wrong here.

Does ANYONE know what the ticket count was on these 2 movies?

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 03:28 AM
I watched Titanic twice in the theater and I went by myself. It's just a movie and frankly the level of hatred for it is kind of disturbing. What could possibly give anyone reason to dislike a movie so much? A fairly good movie, but not a great one. What's worse is the assumption that all Star Wars fans are SUPPOSED to hate it.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I think it'll be hard for EP2 to beat Spider-Man's record; but I am too excited about Spidey's success to worry about Ep2. Star Wars will make it's money.

Beast
05-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Sith Killer, thats why you don't take the straight box office numbers, to be fair you convert them using inflation and that tells you exactly what movie has been seen the most. Because it's counting the movies as if they all came out at the same time, and the same price per ticket. I need to dig up that website with the top 10 movies adjusted by inflation. Once I find it, I'll post it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
05-07-2002, 03:35 AM
Found it: http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/Top10everad.html

Rank - Movie - Release Year - Total gross (millions) - Adjusted gross (Millions)

1 Gone With the Wind* 1939 $198.60 $1,001.69
2 Star Wars* 1977 $461.00 $865.91
3 The Sound of Music 1965 $158.70 $694.99
4 E.T.* 1982 $432.7 $687.3
5 Titanic 1997 $600.80 $639.83
6 The Ten Commandments* 1956 $80.0 $639.32
7 Jaws 1975 $260.00 $625.05
8 Doctor Zhivago 1965 $111.70 $590.96
9 The Jungle Book* 1967 $135.50 $528.65
10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs* 1937 $184.90 $518.85

* Includes rereleases

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 03:37 AM
If you want to compare the amount spent to make the film compared to how much it made, then Blair Witch Project and American Grafitti take the top spots. Both have the highest profit to cost ratio.

corporal AMF
05-07-2002, 07:22 PM
I heard today that Spiderman broke the record in amount of dollars in three days that TPM got in 1999.......
I believe that AOTC must win this battle easily....

I think is not going to be like 1999 ( TPM must beat Titanic);)

Darth Ovori
05-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Tickets were also cheaper back then...

corporal AMF
05-07-2002, 07:46 PM
U' re right that damned inflation....:p

DeadEye
05-07-2002, 08:13 PM
True. AOTC will surely win...especially since it's a much better movie than Spider-Man, TPM, or Titanic...:rolleyes:

starwars92590
05-07-2002, 08:37 PM
how can people pass up Aotc, compared to spiderman Spiderman looks WAY to animated!

Jedi Clint
05-07-2002, 08:46 PM
Spiderman was/is incredible!

Beast
05-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Spiderman was/is incredible!
No, Spider-Man was Amazing. The Hulk was Incredible. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
05-07-2002, 08:52 PM
I just saw it again tonight, and it was even more incredible than when I saw it the first time. So far, Spider-Man is the best movie I've seen since FOTR. AOTC has a lot of competition, and I don't know if I'll like it more than Spider-Man in the long run.

I don't think AOTC will come close to Spider-Man in terms of Box Office numbers. Spider-Man has too much going for it right now, and the casual movie-goer is talking about Spider-Man right now, not AOTC.

how can people pass up Aotc, compared to spiderman Spiderman looks WAY to animated!

As opposed to AOTC which isn't? Please, I've seen more animation in AOTC trailers than in the movie Toy Story.

Why is it that Star Wars fans are always interested in which movies are the biggest money makers? Its not like any of you see any of that money. You should be more concerned at whether or not you like the movies or not.

Jedi Clint
05-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

No, Spider-Man was Amazing. The Hulk was Incredible. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You're right, my mistake ;). I think AOTC looks friggin awesome! I LOVED Spiderman. Why is there a problem with liking more than one movie all of a sudden? Oh yeah.......there isn't!!

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Spiderman has at least 99.8 of all the fight scenes in animation,
swinging, jumping etc. ATOC will also have alot of animation but i
still believe S.W. will kick it's ***Period.

Have to wait and see, P.S. I personally don't care if it does, I'm there to see it only. It will benefit none of us in any way.

artdoesart
05-08-2002, 01:24 AM
As much as i want EP2 AOTC to crush SPIDERMAN i seriously doubt that it will happen. many of these points were finely described in the previous posts but SPIDERMAN presents itself to a whole new audience of viewers as well as those who loved him growing up. on the otherhand AOTC has the same audiences but it has lost some of the luster with the "newer" audience of viewers since i know both new and old fans were greatly disappointed with EP1 TPM.

based on this i think a lot of people will watch AOTC probably will reach 250+ million in U.S. theatres alone but i will be suprised if it even breaks the 100 million mark on the first weekend. way too many people were let down and old fans like my brother who are not "die hard" but loved star wars are not excited with the whole hype. i guess in ways george let some of us down...

2-1B
05-08-2002, 01:57 AM
I don't think AOTC will beat 114 million, but by year's end I think it will have made a lot more than SpiderMeh. Not that I care personally, it's just my guess. ;)

earl
05-08-2002, 01:15 PM
AOTC will open at least 3000 screens. Spiderman has 3600+ screens. $114 is unbeatable. but we might have a chance on the over all total box office.

SithDroid
05-08-2002, 01:21 PM
I think that AOTC will probably make more than Spider-man, but Spider-man will probably make around $350 million. AOTC will have around $400 I think, but it could be much less. TPM really hurt the franchise IMO and not as many people are excited to see it. Heck they have even already started selling tickets and no one seems to care. There is no hype for this movie as there was for TPM. To be honest, I'm not even really that excited to see it. I have my ticket for the midnight showing, but I was WAY more excited to see Spider-man than AOTC. I'll probably even see Spider-man a couple more times, more than AOTC I think.

Wolfwood319
05-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by earl
AOTC will open at least 3000 screens. Spiderman has 3600+ screens. $114 is unbeatable. but we might have a chance on the over all total box office.

What is this "we" stuff? Do you work at Lucasfilm?

With the exception of SW fans and the like, no one seems interested in Star Wars that much. Heck, the theater I'm going to see AOTC at has been pre-selling tickets for a few days now, and its still not sold out. I had no problem getting my ticket.

DarthChuckMc
05-09-2002, 11:57 PM
One BILL-yun dollars....that's my Dr. Evil impression...you like it? eh..nevermind

MisterPL
05-10-2002, 10:00 PM
According to the following e-mail distributed to Lucasfilm licensees, executives at The Ranch aren't expecting Attack of the Clones to compete with Spider-Man's record-setting $114 million opening weekend box office draw:

I'm sure by now you have heard about the record-breaking opening weekend for Spider-Man.

Please be aware that we are pursuing a different strategy for Episode II and we will NOT experience the same level of grosses for our opening weekend. Consistent with our strategy of offering the best quality presentation, we will not be opening on as many screens as Spider-Man. Also, our marketing spend is considerably less than the reported amount that Sony spent to open their film. Our strategy is to play as long as possible and to achieve a high level of box office grosses over the run of the film, not in the first weekend. Remember that Episode I, which did not break the opening weekend record for its time, went on to become the highest grossing initial release of any film other than Titanic....and still holds that record. And Titanic itself had a modest opening weekend gross.

Please make others within your organization aware of our strategy, as we would not want anyone operating under the expectation that Episode II will break any opening weekend record. The reaction among those who have seen the film is outstanding, and we are looking forward to a long, successful run.

Sincerely,
Howard Roffman
President
Lucas Licensing Ltd.

With its four-day opening weekend, Episode II might have been able to challenge the Spider-Man opening weekend total. However, since Attack of the Clones will be opening on fewer screens, it now seems doubtful.

I'll say this; it's more likely I'll see Episode II twice in one weekend. I don't see Spidey getting as many repeat customers, and this weekend's box office decline will be an interesting indicator of just that.

2-1B
05-11-2002, 01:20 AM
I saw that too, the part about "best quality presentation." Lucas claimed that he only wants digital sound, so he's fine with fewer screens. At least they aren't requiring digital projection :rolleyes: , or they'd barely beat the opening weekend of Stolen Summer.

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by MisterPL
I don't see Spidey getting as many repeat customers, and this weekend's box office decline will be an interesting indicator of just that. Well, Spider-Man just broke another record for this weekend - "best-ever second weekend" - this weekend's take was a total of $72 million. That's way better than Ep 1's second weekend, this definitely puts a new spin on the box office issue in my mind.

stillakid
05-13-2002, 01:12 AM
In regards to adjusting for inflation and keeping track of all time whatever's, bookmark this site:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime

And as far as AOTC vs. Spidey, according to:

the Associated Press
Spider-Man' Nets $223M at Box Office

By DAVID GERMAIN
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Now you know why they call him the Amazing Spider-Man.

With $72 million in its second weekend - a number that would be a tremendous debut weekend for almost any film - ``Spider-Man'' knocked off ``Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace'' to become the fastest movie ever to hit $200 million.

``Spider-Man'' passed that mark on Saturday, its ninth day of release. It took ``The Phantom Menace'' 13 days to reach $200 million.

The comic-book adaptation starring Tobey Maguire and directed by Sam Raimi has grossed $223.6 million in 10 days, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The movie had the best second weekend ever, beating the $57.5 million that ``Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' took in over the same period. At $72 million, it was the fourth-highest weekend gross of all time, behind its own record debut of $114.8 million, the $90.3 million opening of ``Harry Potter'' and the $72.1 million premiere of ``The Lost World: Jurassic Park.''

``This is one of those second weekends that's almost more impressive than the first, if that's possible,'' said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. ``This film is relentless in its accrual of money.''

After huge openings, films often nosedive by 50 percent or more in their second weekend because so many people already have seen them. ``Spider-Man'' held up strongly despite its phenomenal premiere, its revenues dipping just 37 percent.

``That's probably the most gravity-defying feat yet of `Spider-Man,' to hold up like that from a number of that size,'' said Jeff Blake, head of distribution and marketing at Sony, which released the film.

Opening in second place was the Richard Gere-Diane Lane adultery thriller ``Unfaithful,'' directed by Adrian Lyne (``Fatal Attraction,'' ``Indecent Proposal''). ``Unfaithful'' grossed a healthy $14.2 million in 2,613 theaters, 1,000 fewer than ``Spider-Man'' played in.

Distributor 20th Century Fox hopes good word of mouth will establish ``Unfaithful'' as an adult alternative to ``Spider-Man'' and its own new ``Star Wars'' movie that opens Thursday.

Older adults ``don't rush out to movies like you do for `Spider-Man' or `Star Wars,''' said Rick Myerson, general sales manager for Fox. ``What you're hoping for with a film like this is a consistency where you continue to play week after week after week.''

The teen comedy ``The New Guy,'' about a nerd who gets a makeover into a super-cool heartthrob at his new school, debuted at No. 3 with $9.5 million.

In just over a week, ``Spider-Man'' soared past ``Ice Age'' to become the year's top-grossing film. ``Ice Age'' has taken in $170.8 million in two months.

With broad demographic appeal and steady repeat business, ``Spider-Man'' is expected to hold well next weekend, though it comes up against ``Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones.''

``I'd say we have No. 2 locked up for next weekend,'' Blake said.

``Star Wars'' creator George Lucas already has conceded his film will not break opening-weekend box-office records because it is debuting on about 6,000 theater screens, 1,500 fewer than ``Spider-Man.''

Lucas sought the highest-quality theaters, with digital sound, for his new ``Star Wars'' movie, forgoing a shot at a record opening and aiming for longevity.

``I am not a horse. I do not do horse races,'' Lucas said in an interview last week. ``I'm not interested in opening weekends. I'm not interested in setting records. I know that sounds silly, because we've broken so many records and done all that stuff. I'm interested in making movies and telling stories and giving audiences the best possible presentation.''

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. ``Spider-Man,'' $72 million.

2. ``Unfaithful,'' $14.2 million.

3. ``The New Guy,'' $9.5 million.

4. ``The Scorpion King,'' $4.4 million.

5. ``Changing Lanes,'' $3.5 million.

6. ``Murder by Numbers,'' $2.3 million.

7. ``The Rookie,'' $2.1 million.

8. ``Panic Room,'' $1.5 million.

9. ``Ice Age,'' $1.4 million.

10. ``Life or Something Like It,'' $1.3 million.

SithDroid
05-13-2002, 01:39 AM
Come on Spider-man, beat that crappy Titanic record which it doesn't deserve.

If Star Wars were to open on as many screens as Spider-man, I still think that Spider-man would have beaten Star Wars. Heck they have been preselling tickets here for over a week now and it is still easy to find tickets to any of the showings, except the midnight showing of course ;) .

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 04:25 AM
I think Spider-Man will hold onto that record for a very long time. Ep2 seems to have critics split down the middle so it's a safe bet it will have the same effect on audiences, thus hurting it's overall sales. I think it will simply make enough money to continue the franchise.

IcebergSlim
05-13-2002, 11:43 AM
Spider-Man won't be beat, because you know that Star Wars fans won't be bringing dates. :D

But seriously though, AOTC is at a disadvantage with opening on a Thursday. That will probably be their biggest day, and it won't count towards the weekend total.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2002, 04:53 PM
They likened Spidey's opening to the ''Four Minute Mile". It's the unreachable $100 million weekend. It changes everything in terms of what studios will expect out of their blockbusters. Kind of like what SW did back in '77.

1st and 4th highest grossong weekends of all time? Way to go Spidey!

SithDroid
05-13-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
1st and 4th highest grossong weekends of all time? Way to go Spidey!

Almost 3rd, Jurassic Park: The Lost World only beat it by 100,000. Not bad Spidey for your second weekend.

tagmac
05-14-2002, 12:24 AM
The reason so many people hate Titanic was DiCaprio, plain and simple. The guy played a whiny little kid who got lucky, and every woman who saw it seemed to go on and on about how he was a "real man" and how "that is what true love is," or "how romantic it was that he died for her," and a lot of other garbage. It was as if he was this "ultimate male," and all us other guys were nothing if we couldn't live up to that. Anyone remember the outcry when he didn't get the best actor nomination - well, to me, he didn't have to ACT, and didn't deserve it.

After seing him on The Tonight Show, I think Hayden Christianson is nothing more than a teeneybopper. With a little luck, that will bring in much of the "Titanic crowd" more than once. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to make AOTC #1.

I saw Titanic, and as a move, I really enjoyed it. The fact that it is number one bugs me, both because I hated it surpassing ANH, and because I didn't think it was THAT good. We fans said it best during the previews for TPM. I remember vivdly when the preview for "The Beach" came on, the minute that little boy's face came onscreen, the entire theater booed louder than they did even for Jar Jar. That says it all, I think.

Wolfwood319
05-14-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid

Almost 3rd, Jurassic Park: The Lost World only beat it by 100,000. Not bad Spidey for your second weekend.

Not bad for a second week eh? Most movies don't make that much money in their entire theatrical run, let alone their SECOND Weekend! I think this feat was more impressive than their first.

I still don't understand why people are bugged by "Titantic's" revenue intake and whatnot. Why people care about trivial things like this is more mind baffling than why people care about what "celebrities" do in their personal time.:rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
05-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by tagmac
The reason so many people hate Titanic was DiCaprio, plain and simple. The guy played a whiny little kid who got lucky, and every woman who saw it seemed to go on and on about how he was a "real man" and how "that is what true love is," or "how romantic it was that he died for her," and a lot of other garbage. It was as if he was this "ultimate male," and all us other guys were nothing if we couldn't live up to that. Anyone remember the outcry when he didn't get the best actor nomination - well, to me, he didn't have to ACT, and didn't deserve it.

DiCrapio a "real man".Where did you here this tagmac..on "The View":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JediDan
05-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Just read on Yahoo and on Iwon that the 4 day take for AOTC is $116 million. And the weekend take was around $86 million (not including Thursday) So AOTC is 3rd place for most money made for an opening weekend right after Spiderman and Harry potter. Episode 1 brought in around $59 million. But Harry Potter and Spiderman played at alot more screens than AOTC. So you really cannot compare them equally. Still $116 million in just 4 days!!! That is awesome.....:D :D

Eternal Padawan
05-20-2002, 02:49 AM
$116 Million AOTC!!!!!!!!!

I guess that midnite show and Thursday helped, huh?

Spidey still holds the three day record, though.

The Summer movie juggernaut race has begun...

2-1B
05-20-2002, 02:58 AM
I'm glad to see both films doing well. :)
I couldn't really buy into the rivalry issue, and the 2 week jump that Spidey had on Clones kept them from really going head to head. Although I did notice a good number of Spidey attendees this weekend, good idea for the casual movie-goer to wait for the Spidey crowd to die down a bit. Now the long lines are Clones related, so it's not quite as full in Spidey showings.

Eternal Padawan, have you noticed that to be the case at all?

On a related note, Lucas is such a goon for saying that they need to "worry" about MIIB . . . that movie is due in July, Clones will probably be on its way out by then . . . where's the competition there? Silly comparison.

Eternal Padawan
05-20-2002, 03:10 AM
The midnite showing and an extra Thursday help Episode II crack the wallcrawler's seemingly impossible weekend take. Although the Webhead still has the best THREE day opening ever. Let the Summer movie juggernaut blockbuster battle commence...

Way to go Peter Parker and Yoda!

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones," the fifth movie in filmmaker George Lucas' long-running sci-fi adventure franchise, grossed an estimated $116.3 million in its first four days of release, its distributor Twentieth Century Fox said Sunday.

After bowing Thursday with $30.1 million from 3,161 theaters across North America, the film added $86.2 million for the Friday-to-Sunday period.

The three-day weekend tally ranks at No. 3 among all-time new releases, behind "Spider-Man," which opened with $114.84 million two weeks ago, and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" with $90.29 million last November.

The last "Star Wars" movie to hit theaters, "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace," a Wednesday opener in May 1999, earned $64.81 million in its first weekend. It ended up with $431.09 million -- No. 4 on the all-time list in North America.

After two weeks atop the box office, "Spider-Man" slipped to No. 2 with $46.0 million -- a record for a film in its third weekend, said Jeff Blake, president of worldwide marketing and distribution at Sony Pictures Entertainment. With $286.5 million banked to date, Blake said the superhero adventure is on track to pass $330 million by the end of next weekend, which is the four-day Memorial Day holiday in the United States.

BOX OFFICE TOP 10
Following are the top 10 movies at the North American box office for the May 17-19 weekend, according to studio estimates collected on Sunday by Reuters. Final data will be issued on Monday.

1. 'Attack of the Clones,' $86.2 million
2. 'Spider Man,' $46.0 million
3. 'Unfaithful,' $10.3 million
4. 'About a Boy,' 8.4 million
5. 'The New Guy,' 6.5 million
6. 'Changing Lanes,' 3.1 million
7. 'The Scorpion King,' $2.7 million
8. 'The Rookie,' $2.0 million
9. 'Murder by Numbers,' $1.7 million
10. 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding,' $1.2 million

2-1B
05-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Unfaithful beat About a Boy? I suspect it's due more to Diane Lane that Richard Gere. :rolleyes:

Way to go New Guy, DJ Qualls and the bad cameos managed 6 and a half mil.

It's pretty cool to see that Spider-Man was able to pull in half of what AOTC did, even though Thursday wasn't counted.

Eternal Padawan
05-20-2002, 11:42 AM
I'd be more worried about Scoobs and Minority Report than MIIB.

I was out of town this weekend and missed the giant crowds at work (darnit) ;) On Thursday Spidey was selling at a brisk pace, but nowhere near the sellout crowds for AOTC. I'm sure it did stellar business this weekend though. Look at the competition...Scorpion King? Dueces Wild? Who goes to these movies when Spidey and Star Wars are playing?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2002, 12:25 PM
This is why I think the "weekend" box office receipts are bogus. Number 1: they often estimate the totals on Sunday before actual amounts are in. Number 2: they won't count Thursday's $30.1 million because it's not "the weekend." Wonder what the total would be if you included Thu/Fri/Sat instead of Fri/Sat/Sun ($86 million for the latter).

I'm enjoying the "this is the worst SW film yet" comments. It'll weed out the non-fans and bandwagoners. Anyone remember the late 1980s and early '90s? If you said you were a SW fan, people gave you funny looks. Now, we can return the favor! :p :D Let Spider-Man break records, and Men in Black or Minority Report make more money. I still loved AOTC, and I know there are probably at least 1,138 other people who did, too! :rolleyes:

SithDroid
05-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Spider-man is up to $286 million. It took in $46 million this weekend up against SW. SW took in $86 million for the weekend. Not bad for Spider-man who has already been out for two weeks. I hope these two stay in the theatre for quite some time, I want to see one of the two knock stupid Titanic off of the number one spot, and Spider-man is almost 1/2 way there already.

JediTricks
05-20-2002, 11:16 PM
SW took $80.2 mil, according to TFN, the Fox estimates were $6 mil over!

JediTricks
05-20-2002, 11:35 PM
According to TFN, Fox's prediction of $86 mil was $6 mil higher than the ACTUAL take.

DarthBrandon
05-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Well it's on it's way to make a bundle like I thought, but it didn't beat Spidey like I posted earlier.

Obi-Don
05-21-2002, 12:19 AM
I saw spiderman and liked it a lot,but EPII to me blew it away. Not by much, but then I'm a nut for Star Wars.

DarthBrandon
05-21-2002, 12:32 AM
Obi-Don we are all Star Wars nuts, plain and simple and I agree with you 100% ATOC kicked Spideys butt.

eliwankenobi
05-21-2002, 02:03 PM
I generally don't give a crap about what critics have to say about any given film, but what's really chapping my hide right now is this bulls**t money race they've invented between AOTC and Spiderman.

Who gives a crap about how much money a film makes to judge its popularity/success except for the studios. I think its a cheap shot by the critics that are now proclaiming that "AOTC sucks" and are now trying to back it up by citing AOTC's inability to beat Spiderman's opening weekend tally. Again, who gives a crap. I haven't heard even one do any figuring to see what the adjusted total might be if AOTC opened on the same amount of screens as Spiderman.

I've always thought this whole "money race" the critics and studios use to judge success is bogus. Sure Titanic beat SW out of the #1 spot - look at the difference in ticket prices! When I was 6 I got to see SW for $2. I read in a report shortly after Titanic "beat" SW that they give no consideration to inflation in any of the current charts, and if they were to, say... count tickets sold (what a novel idea) that Gone with the Wind would hold the #1 spot and SW would be #2.

Anyway, back on topic, I saw Spiderman and hated it. IMO, Spiderman's dialogue and acting was just as cheesy as the critics claim AOTC to be - Toby McGuire is just as pathetic and whiney as Anakin. But in the end, I could care less which movie makes more money. Sure I want AOTC to succeed and be a hit with myself and the fans, and I'm sure I'll be seeing it several times - but for my own enjoyment, not to boost box office receipts.

Since when did watching movies turn into a competition?

sunblind
05-21-2002, 02:26 PM
I don't care where both of these movies go in that race. But in the long run, if you care, Episode 2 will dominate the summer.

JediDan
05-27-2002, 11:19 AM
I have been searching for updated tix sales and can find nothing. Last I heard was $110 million on the opening weekend. Anyone know what the take is now???

DeadEye
05-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Theforce.net gives constant updates. I think right now it's something like $172 million.

JediDan
05-27-2002, 04:40 PM
I JUST read on Iwon that it's current take is now $202.5 million. That much loot in just 12 days...whew Keep it up.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2002, 07:25 PM
For the first week, the theaters where I saw AOTC were the 2nd-highest grossing movie theaters in the country (behind somewhere in NY). Glad I helped them! I, too, think that E2 will stay in theaters longer than Spider-Man, so its totals will gradually rise over time.

By the way, you may call Spider-Man "amazing," "spectacular," or "web of." :rolleyes:

SithDroid
05-27-2002, 11:35 PM
Spider-man is up to $334 million. 6th highest grossing movie of all time in the US only behind Jurassic Park, SW: TPM, E.T., SW:ANH, and cr*ppy Titanic. It is alos in the top 100 of International grossing movies as well, although it hasn't been released everywhere yet. Way to go Spidey. It looks like it will pass Jurassic Park this weekend. Keep on going Spidey, beat out that stupid Titianic movie.

AOTC is up to $202 million. 39th highest grossing movie of all time in the US. It will probably make it into the top 15 after this weekend.

Imperial Monarche
06-03-2002, 02:59 PM
How much has AOTC made so far in the box-office, anyone know?

Jonna
06-03-2002, 03:02 PM
$232,000,000 as per Yahoo movies

billfremore
06-03-2002, 03:03 PM
it's somwhere around $232 million (domestically)

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2002, 03:33 PM
I really doubt it'll do much better than $300 now. Looks like Spidey's the winner. I guess this'll make EP3 an open target for other movie studios.

Maybe it's a good thing that Lucas will lose to Spidey (and also probably MIIB). Now he may rethink his whole approach and make some good improvements to the last one over these two.

darthvyn
06-03-2002, 05:34 PM
at least five dollars...

darthvyn
06-03-2002, 05:43 PM
this is why i loved how "the daily show" did the movie gross in lire instead of dollars, because it's completely arbitrary and sounds really impressive. actually, i don't put any credence in TICKET sales, as tickets are totally inflated these days. if you went by numbers of tickets sold divided by number of show times, or screens playing the movie, that would give you a REAL indication of how a movie was doing. i still believe nothing even TOUCHES E.T. by this method, when you think about the price of a ticket was $3 then, and it's record by the current standard stood for, what, 15 years? tickets cost me $9 now, i don't know about anyone else... i call for a new standard for movie gross!

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 08:39 PM
By adjusted box office numbers (which is the number of tickets the film sold if they were sold at today's prices), Gone With the Wind is the clear winner, followed by Star Wars, Sound of Music, and finally ET. The first 2 would make over 1 billion in today's market!

Beast
06-04-2002, 08:49 PM
As I posted earlier, a few pages back. This site has conversions for inflation for the top 100 movies of all time. Here is the current Top 10. Though, JT is incorrect... Star Wars is not in the 1 billion bracket yet. :)

http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/Top10everad.html

Rank - Movie - Release Year - Total gross (millions) - Adjusted gross (Millions)

1 Gone With the Wind* 1939 $198.60 $1,001.69
2 Star Wars* 1977 $461.00 $865.91
3 The Sound of Music 1965 $158.70 $694.99
4 E.T.* 1982 $432.7 $687.3
5 Titanic 1997 $600.80 $639.83
6 The Ten Commandments* 1956 $80.0 $639.32
7 Jaws 1975 $260.00 $625.05
8 Doctor Zhivago 1965 $111.70 $590.96
9 The Jungle Book* 1967 $135.50 $528.65
10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs* 1937 $184.90 $518.85

* Includes rereleases

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
06-05-2002, 07:00 PM
good to know someone else out there realizes how arbitrary today's b.o.g.'s are...

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 02:55 AM
JJB, according to BoxOfficeMojo, it is above 1 bil: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted/

Beast
06-06-2002, 03:05 AM
Intresting JT, I wonder which site is more reliable. Oh well, I really do hope it's yours. I wouldn't mind Star Wars being in the billion dollar bracket. Not that Box Office totals mean anything. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 05:31 AM
I trusted the numbers BOM showed because they explained how they got there, I wouldn't have mentioned that 1 bil thing earlier if they hadn't "showed their work", as it were. ;)

I think B.O. totals do mean something, just not EVERYTHING, they're an interesting footnote and an explanation as to how many others out there are dropping coin on a certain film.

RooJay
06-06-2002, 03:20 PM
When you figure in all the money made on merchadising, nothing can, nor probably ever will beat Star Wars. There just aren't that many people clamoring for Gone With The Wind action figures! Nobody is desperately seeking that elusive Mammy with wrong color apron variant figure. Which is not to say that I'm sure lots of people would'nt be doing just that if such a thing existed!:D ;)

darthvyn
06-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Nobody is desperately seeking that elusive Mammy with wrong color apron variant figure.

HOLY CRAP, DO YOU HAVE ONE?

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 04:03 AM
boxofficemojo expects Ep2 to reach a final tally of about $310 million. Hardly a disappointment as some seem to believe and that estimate surpasses both ESB and ROTJ. And box office success has no bearing on how good the movie was either. ESB was the lowest grossing movie of the entire original trilogy ("only" $290 million including SE re-release) and made over $140 million less than TPM ($431 million). Thus don't be so quick to call AOTC a bad movie just because it isn't number #1.

At this point AOTC is only $50 million behind ESB, and it is less than a month old.

2-1B
06-08-2002, 04:40 AM
Those totals include the Special Edition releases, right?

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 06:07 AM
Yes, without the SE's TPM would be the highest grossing of all the films and AOTC would have already passed ESB and ROTJ.

Post-SE totals (ranking):
ANH $460,987,469 (2)
TPM $431,088,297 (4)
ROTJ $309,125,409 (11)
ESB $290,158,751 (14)
AOTC (as of Thursday 6 June) $241,095,000 (25)

Totals for all the films, adjusted for inflation: (ranking)
ANH $1,034,082,490 (2)
ESB $560,180,312 (14)
ROTJ $537,970,634 (15)
TPM $476,114,927 (20)
AOC $241,095,000 (110)

FYI, Spider-Man is now the #5 highest grossing movie of all time (domestic/no inflation) with $360,117,121 as of 6 June. It's still $71 million away from knocking TPM out of the #4 spot. From there it is only $3 million away from taking the #3 spot from ET and $30 million away from knocking ANH out of #2. The movie has only been out for a little over a month, it is entirely possible. From #2 though it still has to make over $140 million to beat Titanic.