PDA

View Full Version : Interesting News on those line Guys in seattle

garethvk
05-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Hello,

For those of you that know me, you know that I am a syndicated film and software reviewer out of Seattle. Like many of you, I followed the news of the Seattle line, and there claims that it is for fun, but I feel that I need to set the record straight. President John Guth of the Seattle Star wars club claims that he is doing it for fun and is surprised about the response. Fact, John spends many hours a day contacting media outlets asking them to cover his events. Another issue, I set up a charity event for them through my radio show years ago and he took credit for it, saying he thought my station and I were members of the club and as the President he does all speaking. Also, when in talks with an agent for an Episode II cast member, she told me how Guth aimed her constantly and said he would not stop until she recognized his authority and responded. I will not even touch the issues of the Lawsuit they filed against a promoter who would not meet their demands. I am not doing this for sour grapes as they do some good things for charities. My complaint is that Guth is using Star Wars to gain attention for himself and does not properly credit those around him. Surely this is not what the spirit of the series is about. This should be a celebration, not a lets use Star wars to get on TV, radio, and get paid for interviews. My final point is that while I am seeing the show on Tuesday at a press screener, I called the theater late yesterday, (A theater called the best in the NW and one of the top 5 in the nation), and was able to buy opening show tickets as well as Friday afternoon tickets. So, their camp out was not about getting tickets and seeing the show opening day, it was all about the attention.

Episode II review up Tuesday Night.
http://www.nwlink.com/~gareth/sknr.htm

Thanks,

Gareth

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 12:10 AM
I always suspected those guys were simply spotlight hogs.

garethvk
05-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Get this, they want everyone to camp out the week prior. My favorite was when he asked for everyone to come to the Toys R Us ona work night in costume at midnight to buy toys. I almost e-mailed them back and said us normal folks with jobs and lives prefer to stay home with out ladies but I figured he would not know about that.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Sounds like he is trying to take control of all fan activities so he can brag about how without him none of it would have happened. People like that kill the enjoyment of being a Star Wars fan.

garethvk
05-05-2002, 12:33 AM
Very true, and the thing is, he has a hard time coming up with any ideas that arent being in line in costume.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by garethvk
So, their camp out was not about getting tickets and seeing the show opening day, it was all about the attention.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, but are we supposed to be surprised at that?
Dude got in line Jan 1, of course it's all about attention. One of those goons accepted free lap dances at the expense of a radio show that did it to make fun of the line guys.
In 2 weeks those guys will be gone from "the spotlight" (if we can even call it that) and I will care about them as little as I do right now. :D

Then in 2 1/2 years they'll be back, and I'll :rolleyes: at them just the same.

garethvk
05-05-2002, 03:51 AM
Very true, I am just hate the way the exploit the fime for their own good.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 04:11 AM
What "own good"? Who gives a darn about these guys? I don't know of anyone who does, and if you show me someone who does care about them, I'll tell you he or she is silly.

BTW, don't think I haven't noted the irony in attaching your own website address to this "News" ;)

garethvk
05-05-2002, 04:15 AM
Fine, call it what you will, I do not need the PR as I have 30 Million readers a month over 60 publications and dont need to camp at a theater to get attention. If you watched the news, every major paper, TV, and radio show in the world has done stories and updates on them and I thought it was time someone knew the truth.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 04:22 AM
I've known "the truth" since they got in line Jan 1. Look around these forums, you'll see that some of us have been ridiculing their behavior for quite some time now. :)

dirtybones
05-06-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
I've known "the truth" since they got in line Jan 1. Look around these forums, you'll see that some of us have been ridiculing their behavior for quite some time now. :)
My man Caesar coming through with the facts!

JEDIpartner
05-10-2002, 04:15 PM
They give the rest of us a really embarassing image. The theatre could be REALLY funny and NOT sell them the tickets. They don't have to, you know. That would make me so happy! :evil:

InsaneJediGirl
05-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
They give the rest of us a really embarassing image. The theatre could be REALLY funny and NOT sell them the tickets. They don't have to, you know. That would make me so happy! :evil:

I'm with you on that,JP.I dont get why they had to stand out there in the first place.I got advanced tickets the other day..and didnt even have to stand in line!:crazed: :crazed:

I wonder how bad they smell/look now.Anyone in the Seattle area care to run over and take a picture for me;)

2-1B
05-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Dennis Miller last night mentioned that even though Spider-Man was on millions of screens last week, many people complained they weren't able to see the film. Not because they couldn't get tickets but because they couldn't get around the people camped out for Star Wars. :D

Foolish! :stupid:

BTW garethvk, I'm glad you liked AOTC enough to give it 5 out of 5 stars. :)

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 01:39 AM
I like your review of Ep2, garethvk. It seems that while most reviewers are mixed (my brother told me Ebert and Roeper almost got into a fistfight over AOTC) the true Star Wars fans all love the film so far. I'm also glad you are willing to cut Ep1 some slack, I never thought it was all that bad.

Cool Spider-Man review too.:)

IcebergSlim
05-13-2002, 11:46 AM
Those guys are doing it for attention?!?!? No way!!! *end sarcasm*

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Here's some more fun stuff about people, I mean geeks, wasting good oxygen waiting in line for EP2. The BYU newspaper did a story about these guys who've been waiting for about a month. I guess they're getting harrassed by other teenagers.

The article mentions a couple who are planning on naming their yet-to-be-born child Anakin or some other funky name with Padme as a middle name. Why can't some people get it through their heads that SW is just fiction. Yes we all go overboard spending tons of $ on figures and stuff, but we're talking about a human being here. Don't jack up their life already by naming them from a movie.

Bunch of wackos...

Here's the article (http://newsnet.byu.edu/story/38738).

Sith Worm
05-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Hello boys those of you whom have come in contact with me in the past already know that i am an idot, but i love Star Wars and guys like this make us true idots, i mean fans look bad! I sall them on good morning america one day all full of themselfs and telling how great of fans they were to Charlie and Mrs. Sawyer then they start talking about there jobs and plugging there companies it was sick and degrading as an idot, i mean fan. Anyways i'm no better i stood in line for two hours Monday for midnight tickets and was so over joyed at getting those babies then tonight i went to see spider-man, again and picked up another ticket for A friend and stood in line for 30 seconds. In my defense they sold so many tickets on monday they have chose to show it in three screens instead of two which freed up more tickets anyway the time i spent in line with all the other idots, i mean fans was what makes us fans, i mean idots not these money grubbing self showing off morons that call themselfs fans that are truely IDOTS! May the force be with you all and enjoy the madness of midnight showings all over the world...

the force of idot is strong in this one...

Taichi
05-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Uhh, do you mean Idiot?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-16-2002, 05:59 PM
No, it's IDOT. He's blind in one I. :D j/k