PDA

View Full Version : 12" Star Wars Line Switching to G.I. Joe "Gung Ho" Bodies!!

Beast
05-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Hey all you 12" collectors. Hasbro announced at Celebration 2 today that all 12" Star Wars figures starting with the Dooku wave will start using the more articulated G.I. Joe "Gung Ho" bodies. Here is the news from Rebelscum!! Happy Happy, Joy Joy!! :D

Hasbro informs us today at Celebration 2 that they plan on producing the upcoming 12" figures starting with the Dooku wave with the more superior G.I. Joe bodies and articulation, including the "Gung Ho" grip. When asked whether this will be the new standard for Saga 12" figures going forward, Hasbro states that they will continue to do so as long as it makes sense both creatively and financially. The next 12" wave of Count Dooku, Super Battle Droid, and Zam Wesell is planned for release this summer with the new Bounty Hunter assortment of Dengar, Zuckuss, and Imperial Officer in the fall.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Why'd they wait until the second wave?:mad: So do they plan to re-release Anakin with the better body?

pthfnder89
05-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Why'd they wait until the second wave?:mad: So do they plan to re-release Anakin with the better body?

Doubt it. :( I'm glad they started this, but it's too late for me. I just don't collect the 12' line. Compared to other 1/6th scale lines they just aren't that good. I only buy the vehicle or beast packs.

derek
05-04-2002, 11:35 PM
big barada,

i bet they will be re-releasing anakin and obi wan. outland peasant anakin is a sure bet, and another obi wan, like a rain soaked jango duel version, wouldn't suprise me. now that they have confirmed this, hopefully they will make the heads a little smaller. the 12 inch dooku looks to be just that way, and i think it's great.

i'm curious to see what kind of body zam weisel will have. hopefully it will be at least a jane body and not a barbie body.

pthfnder89,

dude, have you seen that 12 inch dooku? it looks to be dragon or blue box quality. if hasbro will produce quality stuff like that dooku figure, they will see a big jump in their 12 inch sales.

the hands are a different color than the body, but this can be easily fixed. i know hasbro has released several "asian" figures in a tone of plastic that would better match dooku's head skin tone.:)

Beast
05-04-2002, 11:38 PM
I'm definatly getting the Dooku, gotta love Christopher Lee. :D I cut back on collecting most of the 12", I got sick of the cheesy 12" Exclusives. I may get Zam as well, since I like the charecter. Depends on if she looks good. I do have to get Zuckess and Dengar though, since I have the other Bounty Hunters release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
05-05-2002, 12:23 AM
Its about time they actually do something right with the 12 inch line.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 02:02 AM
That 12" Dooku is really amazing. Hopefully we'll get an Anakin of the same quality soon.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 03:12 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Look at his saber, I don't think the blade is removable! Can this be true?

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 03:16 AM
It might not be able to be removed because of the curved hilt. I really hope this isn't true though.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 04:05 AM
Darn you BB, that's a very reasonable line of thought on this issue and while I'm not thrilled, if that is the case, I can't be as angry at Hasbro as I want.

;)

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 04:30 AM
What can I say? I'm just a reasonable kind of guy. :D

Is Dooku going to actually be taller than the other figures? He is 6'5" in real life so he should be about the same height as the Electronic Removable Helmet Vader. Anakin should be a little taller also.

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 04:52 AM
I just noticed something. Look at the lightsaber hilt again and you can see a little hook for sticking it on his belt. Kinda hard to do that with a non-removable blade.

In any case, if the blade isn't removable, Hasbro can remedy the situation by packing in a separate "un-ignited" lightsaber hilt.

CooLJoE
05-06-2002, 05:17 AM
I'm glad about the change. But Dooku looks to be the only one (shown in pics anyways) with the new gijoe style 12" figure. Yellow and red clones are the current way, same with jango and the others. I hope atleast Zam and Plo Kloon end up with the new style. I really want a Plo Kloon and Zam 12". Those are 2 cool characters.

humsup
05-06-2002, 08:23 AM
I'm very much interested to know how are Ha$bro gonna make a good Dengar since he's on the buff side. Unless they use the Joe's HOF bodies?? NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!! It'll be interesting to see Dengar (fatty body) and Zuckess (shorter then the rest of the guys).
Now Ha$bro has put one feet forward, just curious will they be WOWing us and use their SA (Super Articulated) bodies? Am I asking too much? :D

JEDIpartner
05-06-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by derek ...hopefully they will make the heads a little smaller.

You know... that's the REAL reason I haven't purchased any of the latest 12" figures... "LOOK AT MY BIG, FAT HEAD!!!!"

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by derek

pthfnder89,

dude, have you seen that 12 inch dooku? it looks to be dragon or blue box quality. if hasbro will produce quality stuff like that dooku figure, they will see a big jump in their 12 inch sales.

the hands are a different color than the body, but this can be easily fixed. i know hasbro has released several "asian" figures in a tone of plastic that would better match dooku's head skin tone.:)

You're right that the Dooku figure looks pretty awesome Derek. But since I think the Anakin and ObiWan figures are crap, there's no one for him to fight against! :(

on the other hand, I AM planning to pick up the 12' Ki Adi Mundi and Plo Koon (I can't BELIEVE we're getting a 12' version of Plo! My life is complete!:D:D) so maybe I'll go ahead and buy Dooku also.

RooJay
05-06-2002, 04:01 PM
The Dooku figure is definitely a step in the right direction, but even if they do go back and rerelease Obi-Wan and Anakin with these bodies their heads are gonna look even bigger! They're HUGE already! I might actually pick up Dooku, and I HATE the 12" figures! He looks Sideshow Toys quality to me.:D

derek
05-06-2002, 05:48 PM
hey guys,

don't be suprised if new head sculpts of anakin and obi wan come out later this year. i'm just speculating, but i would bet we see an anakin in the "outland peasant" outfit later on, along with a removable arm jedi outfit, like the ponda baba figure has.

and a battle damaged or rain soaked obi-wan sounds like something hasbro would release. if so, i bet they would have new headsculpts.:)

RooJay
05-07-2002, 12:03 AM
IF it happens, and IF they turn out as cool as Dooku, then I am there!

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 12:09 AM
If they just release Obi and Anakin with their Jedi Cloaks, the new bodies and smaller heads that would be great.

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 02:39 AM
BB, if the Dooku fig is gonna be in a Gung-Ho body, then how would they make it taller than other Gung-Ho-bodied figures? And you said you were reasonable. ;)

As for this belt-hook, this is the same Hasbro that gave Collector's Series Luke, Vader, and Obi-Wan lightsabers that had non-removable blades on handles with large hooks to hang off those figures' belts - so this isn't evidence of anything by itself, sadly. I'd accept an unignited saber handle accessory for Dooku, but Hasbro's been so cheap on 12" lately that I would be shocked if they put it in there.

CoolJoE, I really doubt Zam will be anything to write home about in terms of quality articulation - Hasbro has a bad track record with 12" action figures of the female persuasion.

Humsup, never ever mention that awful Hall of Fame body in these forums again! ;) :D (seriously though, I totally hate that design with the 10 degrees of clicky elbow range.)

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
BB, if the Dooku fig is gonna be in a Gung-Ho body, then how would they make it taller than other Gung-Ho-bodied figures? And you said you were reasonable. ;)

About as reasonable as I can be at 2:30 in the morning.:D

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what exactly these accursed Hall of Fame bodies are?

JediTricks
05-08-2002, 06:09 AM
In '91, GI Joe hit upon the brilliant idea of having 12" figures (their original scale) based on RAH (4" scale) characters. These were "Hall of Fame" figures and were cool for their time, but had pitiful 12" bulky bodies with shoddy mid-bicep swivel, horrid "clicky" elbows and knees that afforded almost no range of motion at all, and other negative aspects that were used when this body design was used for the POTF2/Collectors Series 12" SW figures.

You can see 'em mid-way down this page: http://www.yojoe.com/action/other/