PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe R2-D2?

Battle Droid
05-04-2002, 09:44 PM
They should make one that has the Anti-Gravity Boosters that come out of the legs (they could do this by making the legs a little bigger than normal, but not where it looks stupid) and he could come with some kinda pack in.

bigbarada
05-04-2002, 10:01 PM
How about just making them removable so they don't have to compromise the sculpt? Give him a removable third leg also, since having it retractable forces Hasbro to sculpt him with a longer body.

Battle Droid
05-04-2002, 10:04 PM
That sounds even better. :D

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 03:05 AM
I like BB's ideas!!! The boosters idea is cool, but even with the extra 3 legs, this should not be a deluxe IMO. Ani OPD has a HUGE accessory and he's a basic, so I think they could get away with 2 alternate legs and a detachable middle leg without jacking the price up to $11.

LTBasker
05-06-2002, 03:16 AM
Why would the third leg have to be removeable? It could be based on the D2/Q5/M9/T7 mold and have it to where a section on the leg could slide out and then you slid the booster pieces in. The legs would only have to be modified to have the space there, and since this wouldn't a "force action" or anything, they can use magnets for this sort of thing. As long as the magnets were pretty strong though... like along the lines of Zam's arm, that way they wouldn't have to take much out of the leg so that it wouldn't warp or get all gummy from the less plastic being used on it. I'd like to see it some with a small platform that can attach to the conveyor belt that 3PO comes with and have a transparent stand on it that has pegs on it for R2's feet to attach to so it doesn't have to suffer from ugly holes.

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 03:29 AM
Having the third leg be removable would remedy the elongated body problem that all recent astromech droids have suffered.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 04:09 AM
Not only are the bodies a smidge elongated (compare any POTJ-scale R2 to an Action Collection R2), but the middle legs are too long so they don't retract all the way AND they don't stop in the right place.

As for magnets, I don't think that'd work out - the friction wouldn't be enough to let the droid stand on its own and on the 3rd leg, it'd have to have 2 magnets to keep the orientation proper. Then again, magnets would let us recreate all those ANH scenes where R2's right leg keeps trying to go a different route every time he is seen switching from 2- to 3-legged mode. ;)

LTBasker
05-06-2002, 04:43 AM
I meant the magnet and removeable section would be in the leg in an indention that goes through about half of the leg, you would pull a small part of the center part out of the leg, and then slide the rocketized piece into place which would be held there by magnets so it would stay securely there. The elongated bodies could be fixed in the molding process and the extra long third leg isn't a probably, I just fix my droid at the angle I want it in, then pull the third leg down until it's even with the other two legs. I kinda like being able to pose them at different angles too.

JEDIpartner
05-06-2002, 10:07 AM
You know... I've never really noticed a problem with the Astromech bodies. They are fine when you compare them to all the other problems they have with getting everything else correct!! :mad:

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
You know... I've never really noticed a problem with the Astromech bodies. They are fine when you compare them to all the other problems they have with getting everything else correct!! :mad:

Wow, I was starting to think I was the only one here who didn't have a problem with the astromech figures. Honestly it has never even occured to me to be upset about the elongated bodies. I always thought they were pretty decent.

brentfett
05-06-2002, 12:26 PM
I thought they were going to make some sort of 2 pack with R2 and C3PO? I could care less about R2, but I would love a better C3PO. I can't stand how goofy that thing looks when you put the plating on him.

Beast
05-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by brentfett
I thought they were going to make some sort of 2 pack with R2 and C3PO? I could care less about R2, but I would love a better C3PO. I can't stand how goofy that thing looks when you put the plating on him.
It was some confusion about the deluxe C-3PO set that comes with a Battle Droid. Early lists had the set listed ast C-3PO w/ Droid, so many people thought it was going to be R2-D2. Plus originally there was going to be a 25th Anniversary set of them to go with the Luke/Leia, Han/Chewie, and Vader/Obi-Wan sets. It was scrapped during the design stage though. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Wow, I was starting to think I was the only one here who didn't have a problem with the astromech figures. Honestly it has never even occured to me to be upset about the elongated bodies. I always thought they were pretty decent. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the current Astromech body (read my R3-T7 review in the Reviews section for more), I was just saying that they are elongated.

Originally posted by LTBasker
I meant the magnet and removeable section would be in the leg in an indention that goes through about half of the leg, you would pull a small part of the center part out of the leg, and then slide the rocketized piece into place which would be held there by magnets so it would stay securely there.Oh, you're saying just the blue middle part of the leg - that's a workable idea, but I have a feeling that Hasbro's poor luck with magnets thus far would make for a lot of problems in this department. Still, I'd definitely buy it if this was the route they took.

...the extra long third leg isn't a probably, I just fix my droid at the angle I want it in, then pull the third leg down until it's even with the other two legs.This is what I do too, but it's annoying to have to stop the leg half an inch before it stops itself every time you play with or reposition the figure.